PDA

View Full Version : I have been an adjustable gas block hater !

Pappabear
02-12-17, 18:56
But I have a Noveske 10.5 with front sight base with a blow hole out of this world. I have many NFA rifles, and never have I even considered an adjustable gas block. But here I am.

I looked up old threads. Several were 2015... I want the most robust gas block. Least moving parts. I really don't care if it's adjustable, I just want it small. I dislike moving parts but again, here I am.

For those of you that have actually used them, what should I get.

PB

hotrodder636
02-12-17, 19:01
Syrac and SLR are the two I have seen/ head of.

I personally have a syrac gen II on my LR-308. Very easy to adjust, I have not had any issues with it. To keep it from carbon binding (have heard this can happen), I move it about 4-5 clicks back and forth after I shoot it just to ensure it doesn't bind.

It is very easy to adjust and only has a detent which holds the screw in place. Based on my experience, I would recommend one or get another if I need an adjustable block.

Hope this helps.

Ryno12
02-12-17, 19:05
I have both the Syrac & SLR. I prefer the SLR for its simplicity.

I believe Syrac is out of business anyway, so it's moot point.

hotrodder636
02-12-17, 19:08
I guess that makes my choice for future purposes simpler...same for Pappabear

I have both the Syrac & SLR. I prefer the SLR for its simplicity.

I believe Syrac is out of business anyway, so it's moot point.

ace4059
02-12-17, 19:20
I've had best luck out of the SLR. But I don't adjust them, I tune them to the lowest setting which the gun runs and leave them alone to never be adjusted again. Great for suppressor use with one ammo type.

M Sadler
02-12-17, 19:26
Seekins Precision (http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/upper-accessories/seekins-precision-low-profile-adjustable-gas-block-750-dia.html) - It works and at $60, the price can't be beat.

Ryno12
02-12-17, 19:39
I guess that makes my choice for future purposes simpler...same for Pappabear

That's how I found out. I had the Syrac Gen II first & was in the market for another AGB. After shopping for another one, I noticed everywhere showed OOS or discontinued so I started doing some research. They have a FB page saying they're not out of business but there hasn't been an entry for months.

Kinda glad though; it forced me to try an SLR & I couldn't be happier. They do still get crusty, just like the Syrac, so they need a few turns every now and then to break it free.

dmd08
02-12-17, 20:07
I have an SLR on a rifle that has been fine. However in considering another adjustable gas block for a 10.5" barrel I'm actually leaning toward a custom tune gas port from black river tactical. Have you considered that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Clint
02-12-17, 20:10
But I have a Noveske 10.5 with front sight base with a blow hole out of this world. I have many NFA rifles, and never have I even considered an adjustable gas block. But here I am.

I looked up old threads. Several were 2015... I want the most robust gas block. Least moving parts. I really don't care if it's adjustable, I just want it small. I dislike moving parts but again, here I am.

For those of you that have actually used them, what should I get.

PB

Markm already knows the answer to this common problem.

A BRT CustomTune Gas Port (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-CustomTune-Gas-Port-HD-Kit/p/76704127/category=6464008) has no moving parts and threads inside your existing pinned FSB.

You can't get more robust than that.

themonk
02-12-17, 20:10
SLR is solid

jstalford
02-12-17, 20:13
I would go the brt route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rayrevolver
02-12-17, 20:14
If you want an "adjustable" GB that has no moving parts:
Baby Govnah - you drill it to size
BRT Micro Tune inserts - pick a size port

I use a SLR Sentry 6 and it does make me a little nervous.

Lee Indy
02-12-17, 20:45
Is that micro tune port an insrt? Ive heard of these

JustDSM
02-12-17, 22:33
If you want an "adjustable" GB that has no moving parts:
Baby Govnah - you drill it to size
BRT Micro Tune inserts - pick a size port

I use a SLR Sentry 6 and it does make me a little nervous.

I have a Baby Govnah and found the fit on the barrel to be somewhat lose on my BCM BFH/Sionics 11.5" and Compass Lake 18" Douglas SPR. The lose fitment on the BCM barrel caused me some issues with failure to lock-back due to leakage. I had to ensure the set-screws were cranked tight/lock-tited down or I'd experience malfunctions. I was running about as close to "edge" of reliability as one would want too for disclosure (.067") on an 11.5" w/ A5A2 unsuppressed.

I'm interested in the BRT solution..

themonk
02-13-17, 05:58
Pappabear, have you tried the Gemtech Suppressed Bolt Carrier?

tehpwnag3
02-13-17, 08:43
I'm pretty sure Syrac Ordnance is either out of business or in foreclosure.

Pappabear
02-13-17, 11:19
Ill dig into the SLR and the insert and pull the trigger on one of those.

Thanks guys

never bought off on the Gemtech BCG. Glad its working for folks.

PB

Clint
02-13-17, 16:53
We offer two general solutions for over gassed barrels.

For barrels with pinned FSBs or special gas blocks, the Custom Tune Gas Port (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-CustomTune-Gas-Port-HD-Kit/p/76704127/category=6464008) is installed into the existing block.

Installation does require basic mechanical skills such as drilling and tapping.

For fresh barrels, the Micro Tune Gas Block (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-MicroTUNE-Gas-Block-750/p/21597560/category=6464008) is a precision low profile gas block with the same port pre-installed.

Installation is as easy as any low pro gas block and ports can be exchanged while the block is disassembled.

JustDSM
02-13-17, 17:10
We offer two general solutions for over gassed barrels.

For barrels with pinned FSBs or special gas blocks, the Custom Tune Gas Port (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-CustomTune-Gas-Port-HD-Kit/p/76704127/category=6464008) is installed into the existing block.

Installation does require basic mechanical skills such as drilling and tapping.

For fresh barrels, the Micro Tune Gas Block (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-MicroTUNE-Gas-Block-750/p/21597560/category=6464008) is a precision low profile gas block with the same port pre-installed.

Installation is as easy as any low pro gas block and ports can be exchanged while the block is disassembled.

Clint,

Thanks for sharing clarifying details on your product. As mentioned in my post above, I had a little disappointment in my MicroMOA gas block due to the has block having a bit too generous tolerances (for my liking) when fit over a variety of barrels from a number of manufactures. The MicroMOA is finished with a 0.750" ID and fit rather lose on my barrels. The BCM that it replaced measures 0.7485" and fits more appropriately on each barrel. What do you finish the ID of your GB's too if I may ask? If a PM is more appropriate please feel free to message me that way.

Thank you!

Iraqgunz
02-13-17, 18:30
I would go the BRT route, and since markm is already up to speed, it should be easy.

Ill dig into the SLR and the insert and pull the trigger on one of those.

Thanks guys

never bought off on the Gemtech BCG. Glad its working for folks.

PB

gripnM4
02-13-17, 20:18
I've had best luck out of the SLR. But I don't adjust them, I tune them to the lowest setting which the gun runs and leave them alone to never be adjusted again. Great for suppressor use with one ammo type.

This is what I do. Tho the screw will freeze up if you dont turn it back a forth here and there.

Singlestack Wonder
02-14-17, 11:56
If you have not done so already, put in an H3 buffer. I have these on all of my 10.5" and 11.5" rifles. Never had a need for an adjustable gas block.

BufordTJustice
02-14-17, 12:52
If you have not done so already, put in an H3 buffer. I have these on all of my 10.5" and 11.5" rifles. Never had a need for an adjustable gas block.
I run an A5H4 buffer with Tubbs AR10 flat wire spring and STILL run almost 50% restriction on my SLR.

There's an enormous amount of daylight between a buffer that's just heavy enough to function, and one that optimized for the gun and ammo.

jerrysimons
02-14-17, 14:26
Install of BRT CustomTune Gas Port HD kit for lo-pro gas blocks.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?193841-Gas-port-regulating-gas-block-insert-install-and-DYI-manufacture

Your FSB though will use a different sized insert called FSB kit.

Pappabear
02-15-17, 22:46
I would go the BRT route, and since markm is already up to speed, it should be easy.

Mark tossed in this brilliant port reducer and the results are dramatic. I went to my local indoor range for quick test and results were impressive. It's a permanent fix and I don't want moving parts. It ran with and without a can.

I'm looking forward to running it outdoors. Indoors is always, just different.

Full range report to follow.

PB

jerrysimons
02-16-17, 04:38
Mark tossed in this brilliant port reducer and the results are dramatic. I went to my local indoor range for quick test and results were impressive. It's a permanent fix and I don't want moving parts. It ran with and without a can.

PB

Great! What size did you use?

Pappabear
02-16-17, 10:02
I hand my shit to Mark or Igunz and they make it better. I think .071 ish. Mark measured it when he built it, it was .08 BLOWHOLE. It is a very light 10.5 gun too, which made things worse. I already dropped the heavy A5. I had the heaviest one in there. Back to standard. I truly believe this is the way to go.

Im taking all my guns out this weekend, if any are close to overgassed, they will get an insert. But this is the first one that stood out. Ive been lucky, very lucky till this point.

The best approach is to buy a RGP barrel to start with, but thats not how it happens most of the time. I think Clints solutions are spot on.

PB

Ned Christiansen
02-16-17, 10:44
I tested the POF Dictator and found it to work well.

https://pof-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/DIctator-IMG_5959-Edit.jpg

BufordTJustice
02-16-17, 12:59
I hand my shit to Mark or Igunz and they make it better. I think .071 ish. Mark measured it when he built it, it was .08 BLOWHOLE. It is a very light 10.5 gun too, which made things worse. I already dropped the heavy A5. I had the heaviest one in there. Back to standard. I truly believe this is the way to go.

Im taking all my guns out this weekend, if any are close to overgassed, they will get an insert. But this is the first one that stood out. Ive been lucky, very lucky till this point.

The best approach is to buy a RGP barrel to start with, but thats not how it happens most of the time. I think Clints solutions are spot on.

PB
Agreed. Going with a reduced gas port barrel is the ONLY way to fly. My Faxon 18" gunner with rifle gas, Sionics 11.5" RGP, and BRT Optimum 16" intermediate gas all have conservatively sized gas ports. Yet ALL run without issue, with heavy buffers, on weak ammo, while dirty, with AGBs that are enjoying a significant percentage of restriction.

Clint
02-16-17, 13:57

PB

Good deal.

Results of proper gas drive are just as dramatic outside.:D

themonk
02-16-17, 14:11
Good deal.

Results of proper gas drive are just as dramatic outside.:D

Any idea when you guys will be getting the MicroTUNE Gas Blocks back in stock?

Clint
02-16-17, 17:14
MicroTune 750 in stock now.

Pappabear
02-19-17, 17:45
Clint,

Is there potential for port erosion and it open up or anything else associated with erosion.

PB

Clint
02-19-17, 17:49
There's always potential, but I don't believe it would be a practical issue.

Pappabear
02-27-17, 08:30
TheMONK sent me the Gemtech carrier to let Mark and I run it. We ran it in several guns and we were impressed. My first choice would be to fix the port size, but this is a pretty cool fix. I don't know about the reliability of the carrier or how it will stand up, but it made a nasty ported gun like a dream to shoot.

Many thanks to the MONK. I am considering trying it in my LMT MWS 7.62. Anyone try theirs in a 7.62 gun? street cost?

PB

themonk
02-27-17, 09:34
Lanbo's has them the cheapest I could find - https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114&products_id=30367

Slippers
02-27-17, 09:55
TheMONK sent me the Gemtech carrier to let Mark and I run it. We ran it in several guns and we were impressed. My first choice would be to fix the port size, but this is a pretty cool fix. I don't know about the reliability of the carrier or how it will stand up, but it made a nasty ported gun like a dream to shoot.

Many thanks to the MONK. I am considering trying it in my LMT MWS 7.62. Anyone try theirs in a 7.62 gun? street cost?

PB

I tried one with my mws and wasn't able to install the firing pin in the carrier because the diameter was too small to fit the back end of the pin.

markm
02-28-17, 18:06
I tried one with my mws and wasn't able to install the firing pin in the carrier because the diameter was too small to fit the back end of the pin.

Odd. They must have spec'd it off the the small spool firing pin. To Gemtech's credit... the carrier worked exactly like porting the gun correctly. I don't know what, if any, long term usage issues you might face, but it very clearly changed the bolt speed.

I do remember ESK saying something about favoring the gas correction at the barrel port instead of in the carrier/upper area. I forget exactly what his concern was.... gas turbulence or expansion chamber side affects maybe..???

Ned Christiansen
02-28-17, 18:31
Odd. They must have spec'd it off the the small spool firing pin. To Gemtech's credit... the carrier worked exactly like porting the gun correctly. I don't know what, if any, long term usage issues you might face, but it very clearly changed the bolt speed.

I do remember ESK saying something about favoring the gas correction at the barrel port instead of in the carrier/upper area. I forget exactly what his concern was.... gas turbulence or expansion chamber side affects maybe..???

I believe the earlier in the system you cut the gas, the better, it will reduce smoke at the carrier key / gas tube connection, and reduce noise compared to the SBC. I'll look again but I'm certain I recall that the SBC diverts and vents the excess gas out the end of the valve shaft, which = noise to the shooter. You don't have that when you simply stifle the gas further upstream.

Which is not to say I don't like the SBC, I found it very convenient.