PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make some decisions about manufacturer, barrel length, etc

midSCarolina
02-14-17, 11:34
Hey everyone, I am somewhat torn when it comes to the direction I want to go on a rifle I am building. I'm not at all an "end of days" type person but with all the crazy s**t that is going on these days and everyone's apparent inability to get along I figured I probably would like to build a serious defensive rifle (it will obviously be a range gun too) and wanted to know if y'all could provide some feedback on my thoughts.

1st, Colt, LMT, and BCM have historically been my go-to manufacturers but I think this time I will go with either Colt or LMT. I realize KAC makes super nice stuff (I have owned a 16" SR15 in the past and it was solid) but I just haven't been able to get behind the keymod and mlok stuff, so as inadvisable as it may be, I am ruling out the SR15 11.5". So my question here is, as a manufacturer, would LMT or Colt be a better choice or is it pretty much a wash (it will be on a Colt lower)?

2nd is barrel length. I am still trying to decide on whether a 14.5", 11.5", or 10.5" would be a better choice. The uppers that I would be considering are the Colt 6933, Colt 6921, LMT 14.5, and LMT LM8MRP 10.5". Would there be any reason to go with the longer barrel length for a defensive rifle (thinking tough but plausible defensive situations, not thinking afghanistan)? I know this has probably been covered a lot.

3rd: I am kinda leaning toward the LMT but I want to know if anyone has any feedback on if they think the MRP is worth it over the more traditional Colt models. I have owned a 6933, 6921, and a standard MRP in the past so I am familiar with all 3 but I want to know if anyone has any pros or cons of the LM8MRP vs the original railed version. I thought the original one was somewhat on the heavy side but it was manageable and not really unexpected considering what it was. It was honestly the most solid rifle I have ever owned though as far as construction and lockup between upper/lower.

If y'all could throw out some good configurations w/ optics etc for whatever y'all think would be the best choice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Torquetard
02-15-17, 12:57
Wouldn't a SBR be kinda loud for HD? What about in the rare instance you had to use it, turn it over to LE, and then in court you have a NFA item used for self defense, heard that never goes over well.

Rifleman_04
02-15-17, 22:00
Of your choices listed I'd do the 11.5 but I prefer the 12.5 as a do all sbr barrel lenght.

Wouldn't a SBR be kinda loud for HD? What about in the rare instance you had to use it, turn it over to LE, and then in court you have a NFA item used for self defense, heard that never goes over well.

Not loud enough to matter considering the potential circumstance and if he has a tax stamp it won't matter if he uses an sbr for self defense...It's a legally owned firearm.

MistWolf
02-15-17, 22:52
G&R Tactical has 6920s in stock for about $1k. They also have the 14.5" SOCOM barrel in stock for $280.

Pull the M4 barrel off and sell it. You should be able to get $225 - $250 for it. Install the SOCOM barrel and have it pinned to legal length. I did this and got a great carbine. Mind has the Magpul CTR stock, Slimline handguard and an Aimpoint H2. I enjoy shooting it

Iraqgunz
02-16-17, 00:19
Please don't spread internet rumors.

RobertTheTexan
02-16-17, 00:45
I can't chime in on manufacturer. I like and use some LMT parts,the quality as you know is excellent. And Colt, is Colt. Quality vs. Quality. In my mind there is more at stake than just maneuverability. Maybe moreso than ever you want exceptionally accurate follow on rounds. Strays are not an option when firing in your home. With that said, thinking how length can lend itself to that, I would go with the 14.5. Of all my AR's and I have all the lengths mentioned and then some, my 14.5 is both maneuverable and also my smoothest shooter. Hands down. My 14.5 is a midlength gas, it's got the A5 RE/buffer system, and I've got a Precision Armament AFAB Hybrid brake. It mitigates flash better than any FH or comp I've owned and it has a place for the pin & weld. I like my shorter barrels (12.5, 12, 11.5, 10.3) and they are a good fit because you're talking CQB purpose-wise. But I also believe that you can still have good room clearing maneuverability with the 14.5 I could be wrong as rain, but that's my nickel.

MegademiC
02-16-17, 06:51
What do you want the rifle to do?

General purpose (300yds or so), I'd look at a standard barrel 12.5" and a surefire mini. That length makes the most sense on paper, and everyone who has one seems to love it.

If money was no object, I'd get a kac. Get the previous gen if you want rails.

If I was going mrp, I'd get the ss barrel, rifle length rail.

tehpwnag3
02-16-17, 08:41
I like the pinned 14.5" barrel suggestion. That will make things easier.

The Colt's are very reasonably priced right now.

Scrubber3
02-16-17, 08:50
Will this rifle be for in home defense, vehicle defense, property defense, or what?

Animalhd1
02-16-17, 09:47
I recently got my first 14.5" and love everything about it. I wish I would have tried one sooner. I bought a complete BCM upper standard mid length with A2 FSB and pinned A2X FH. (Added magpul hand guard). The upper with BCG and CH was $716 shipped and I had it in 4 days. Couldn't be happier.