PDA

View Full Version : Hello M&P 9c - Tips for a new owner

DarrinD
09-20-08, 17:46
It was an amicable divorce with my G26 and G17, but I finally cut them loose to owners with bigger hands, different needs, and a slightly different perspective regarding the definition of "perfection." I already absolutely love my M&P9c, which for a while is going to turn me into that cliche quote "beware of the man with only one gun" because I can carry it concealed, attach an X2 light to the rail, and it shoots as well as my G17 - plus it fits in my Milt Sparks Versa Max holster for my G26. So I intend to use it as my all around carry/nightstand/everything pistol. Now the question:

For M&P owners, what do you know now that you wish you knew when you bought your first M&P. All advice appreciated.

John_Wayne777
09-20-08, 19:02
1. Use good snap-caps when doing dryfire practice. A-Zoom were recommended to me by Robb and others, and it was good advice.

2. Use the S&W M&P specific sight tool to change the sights if you plan to change the sights. The Warren night sights are working out superbly for me thusfar. Both the 2 dot and 3 dot arrangements from Warren are GTG.

3. If you are carrying the M&P9C in something like an IWB holster, use the magazine with the extended floorplate as your primary magazine. I find that magazine gives me a full 3 finger hold on the grip of the weapon, aiding in control and accuracy. Personally I would advise using standard M&P 9mm full-size magazines as your reload. That's what I do. They are easier to get ahold of from a mag pouch, easier to insert in the mag well, and they hold more bullets.

4. Put CT grips on it.

5. Look into using one of Winchester's "Ranger" loadings for the 9mm. With the shorter barrel the muzzle flash from my Speer Gold Dot loads was more noticeable with the 9C than the 9mm IMO. The Ranger ammo has a flash retardant and that's a big benefit in low light.

6. You're probably going to want the full-size M&P 9 too.

DarrinD
09-20-08, 19:35
1. Use good snap-caps when doing dryfire practice. A-Zoom were recommended to me by Robb and others, and it was good advice.

6. You're probably going to want the full-size M&P 9 too.

Where can I get some snap-caps/A-Zoom online? Thanks because I've been dry firing quite a bit today to try to get use to the trigger. Besides the reset, it is not nearly as bad as I expected from hearin some former Glock owners who made the transition. Plus, after a while it feels more "substantial" to me (the tactile feel or touch) than my Glock two part triggers that have a more plasticky feel. It is about 2 oz heavier but I can't tell the difference in weight.

As for #6:
I'm waiting and hoping that Todd Green's "Pistol Training Limited Edition" M&P9 gets the go ahead from S&W . . . the money is already set aside for that eventuality. But for my purposes now, I see the compact getting the vast majority of holster time. I'll probably use the full size for IDPA and when I carry in an open holster.

DarrinD
09-20-08, 19:41
5. Look into using one of Winchester's "Ranger" loadings for the 9mm. With the shorter barrel the muzzle flash from my Speer Gold Dot loads was more noticeable with the 9C than the 9mm IMO. The Ranger ammo has a flash retardant and that's a big benefit in low light.

I'm quite satisfied with Federal's Tactical Bonded 135gr +P. It's on Doc's list for both short and longer barrels, and its excellent perfromance through glass matches a frequent need for me. I tested the Ranger 127gr +P+ and would love to have its energy in the Tactical's peformance, but that's nitpicking.

John_Wayne777
09-20-08, 19:49
Where can I get some snap-caps/A-Zoom online? Thanks because I've been dry firing quite a bit today to try to get use to the trigger. Besides the reset, it is not nearly as bad as I expected from hearin some former Glock owners who made the transition.

It also tends to improve with time and rounds downrange.

As far as where to get them, I bought mine from Midway USA. If you use them a lot you will eventually wear them out and need to buy a new set. I bought my A-zooms shortly after busting my striker and I'm now getting to the point where I need to buy some new ones.

As for #6:
I'm waiting and hoping that Todd Green's "Pistol Training Limited Edition" M&P9 gets the go ahead from S&W . . . the money is already set aside for that eventuality. But for my purposes now, I see the compact getting the vast majority of holster time. I'll probably use the full size for IDPA and when I carry in an open holster.

That would be the one to get if that happens.

Fail-Safe
09-20-08, 20:17
The Fed Tac stuff is quite nice, and accurate, but I found them to be a bit flashy.

I also dont believe +p or +p+ is necessary to make a good defensive load. In fact in subcompacts, I like what I'm using in my fullsize M&P9, the 147gr Winchester Ranger Talon.

ToddG
09-20-08, 20:45
For M&P owners, what do you know now that you wish you knew when you bought your first M&P.

That Smith would give me a free one if I asked nicely. :cool:

The MA-compliant trigger is a better (for me) starting place for a trigger job than the standard.

Buy magazines when they're available, because shortages are common.

The flat compact floorplates work better on the full-size gun's magazines than the regular ones (does not apply to M&P9c owner).

Like it or not, the gun really does benefit from being cleaned every 10,000 rounds.

I'll also echo the snap cap advice, though it's never bitten me personally.

DarrinD
09-21-08, 02:22
Buy magazines when they're available, because shortages are common.

I'm counting on you to keep me in the loop on that . . . and give me free full size 17 rounders if . . . what were your words . . . . I ask nicely? :D

Like it or not, the gun really does benefit from being cleaned every 10,000 rounds.

I'll have to get use to that; I just cleaned my two Glocks before parting with them for the first time in about a year. But, I actually like cleaning my guns, especially when the kids are going monkey-crazy and I need some alone time. ;)

FINAL AAR on the Glocks: G17: 38,530 rounds. 0 FTF's. 0 FTE's. No breakages of any parts. G26: 4,350 rounds. 6 FTF's. 4 FTE's. Bent striker replaced.
I will miss them . . . but imho Smith has built a better mouse trap-or a better Glock, especially for my hand: I love the small grip palm swell and I love the grip angle. And even though I still think Glocks are safe pistols in safe hands, I appreciate the additional safety features of the M&P. Next up will be my shopping list.

JohnN
09-21-08, 11:17
Where can I get some snap-caps/A-Zoom online?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=642438

DarrinD
09-23-08, 12:16
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=642438

Thanks for the link. Is this an M&P issue? Because I never used snap caps with my Glocks with no ill effects. . .

DarrinD
09-23-08, 12:21
The MA-compliant trigger is a better (for me) starting place for a trigger job than the standard.

Okay, I'm going to risk sounding full-retard by asking what the MA-trigger is? Let me know what and where to look for it . . . if you're talking about how to improve the M&P's crispness and reset then please let me know. I'm satisfied with the trigger pull weight at 6.5# or 4.5-5.5#'s if possible someday. For now, all I'd like to do is attempt a lowest possible cost method to emulate the Glock's trigger reset.

ToddG
09-23-08, 13:09
Find an armorer.

Find a MA-compliant trigger bar and MA-compliant trigger return spring.

Have the armorer install the MA-compliant parts into your gun.

Your trigger pull will be around 8-10# at that point, will be very smooth, and have an outstanding reset. If you want, you can then work on the trigger yourself or have someone else work on it to get you down to around 6#.

evilmonkey
09-23-08, 14:13
I couldnt get use to the stock trigger on my M&p finally I had a guy from the place where I shoot local IDPA matches and he got it down to about 6 1/2 to 7 lb and it makes a world of difference

Magic Sauce
09-23-08, 15:34
Find an armorer.

Find a MA-compliant trigger bar and MA-compliant trigger return spring.

Have the armorer install the MA-compliant parts into your gun.

Your trigger pull will be around 8-10# at that point, will be very smooth, and have an outstanding reset. If you want, you can then work on the trigger yourself or have someone else work on it to get you down to around 6#.

Would this be similar to the MA trigger bar/S&W PC sear combination? Only difference being that you send the gun to someone like Burwell for a trigger job, rather than S&W for the PC sear?

I am curious, because though I like the trigger on my M&P, something a bit smoother with a nice reset is appealing.

ToddG
09-23-08, 19:40
Yes.

My first M&P uses the MA trigger parts + trigger job.

My second (current, test) M&P uses the PC sear instead of a trigger job.

I'm more comfortable using a stock tool steel part over a gunsmith'd MIM'd part, but both are viable options if you don't mind spending the money/time on a trigger job.