PDA

View Full Version : Short Dot vs Aimpoint on the timer

Hootiewho
09-20-08, 20:49
Have any of you that own a Eotech/Aimpoint and a Short Dot ever ran a timer and compared the RDS to the Short Dot?

I went to the range the other night and to my surprise I was faster with the SD on 3 different drills than the Aimpoint and more accurate as well. I was blown away, as I have never had much chance to properly run the SD with the timer. My father was also a little faster with the SD and more accurate as well.

I realize that 3 drills is not a good reference for this, but I figured that the SD would be a good bit slower than the Aimpoint.

Anyone else had the same experience?

Failure2Stop
09-20-08, 21:40
Actual time comparisons with a single user are generally acceptable only when the differences between the tested are vast.

The problem is that you are not only measuring how the item seems to be performing, but also measuring your improvement of the skill which was meant to be the standard. For accurate comparison you need to have two large groups, under identical conditions performing several iterations of the base drill with one variable only.

I have seen many people unintentionally sway a result simply due to their testing method.

Not saying that you are wrong, just making an observation.

Hootiewho
09-21-08, 11:38
I understand what you are saying, I was just surprised because I figured I would be a good bit faster with the Aimpoint, especially moving/shooting.

Failure2Stop
09-21-08, 11:47
To bring your thread back on topic (sorry about that)-

I find that I can shoot low-power variable optics almost as fast as non-magnified optics, when on the lowest setting. Of course, I am just as guilty as everyone else when trying to quantify a sample size of one (with myself as the sample).

My biggest issues with variable optics are size, weight, and cost. The SD performs as one would expect of an optic heavily influenced by LAV, built by S&B, and costing what it does. I have not found a variable that I consider to be equal to the S&B. Of course none of this is news to you, Hootie, just compelled to assist in bringing your thread back on topic.

VA_Dinger
09-21-08, 12:35
I've been shooting my Short Dot for around two years now. I've never noticed any huge difference in shot times between it and my Aimpoint/EoTech 1x optics. While this is obviously less than scientific, I also seem to be competitive with everyone around me using Aimpoint's or EoTech's.

Do I think using a Short Dot is slightly "slower" - yes, but your giving up very little (except money :D) to gain a lot.