PDA

View Full Version : Appendix carry in dress clothes

vpetrell
02-17-17, 10:59
I have to wear dress slacks and button downs every day and have been able to easily conceal since it has been cold out lately.

With it warming up, I've been thinking I'm going to need a way to carry a little more unnoticeable.

I currently carry a 19 with appendix holster. My concern is that the clips will be a dead giveaway to what I have on me.

Is there a solution anyone recommends? I don't want to keep it in a bag at all.

I have been playing with some leather straps in place of the clips, but they still look out of place

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robsthestig
02-17-17, 11:09
The 'utili clip' seems like a pretty good option. I know a lot of holster makers are offering this now. I believe you can buy them straight from the maker as well.

Hmac
02-17-17, 11:33
Here's something to consider. I have one of these and have found it to work well. Normally, I never would carry IWB but this works pretty well, especially in dress slacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_674146059&feature=iv&src_vid=7-hcS5hpMCM&v=pkRofcvfnHg

hotrodder636
02-17-17, 11:38
I have seen those Urban Carry holsters and was wondering what real world users thought of them. Sitting in a car (or just sitting) is the biggest uncomfortable issue I have with holsters. Maybe this one is worth a try.

Hmac
02-17-17, 11:50
I have seen those Urban Carry holsters and was wondering what real world users thought of them. Sitting in a car (or just sitting) is the biggest uncomfortable issue I have with holsters. Maybe this one is worth a try.
For me, especially in my little sports car, that's been the biggest advantage. They're very well-made...nice quality leather. They get more comfortable as the leather softens with use. The magnet in the version 2 is nice in that it prevents launching the gun when you pull it up.

WickedWillis
02-17-17, 11:58
https://youtu.be/-ywu6rIXXy4

On top of their "So hidden, it's like the footsteps of a Navy SEAL" advertising that makes me cringe like crazy every time. No thank you. For carry without the thought of actually drawing, I like the idea of a low carry holster you can sit and maneuver in.

Hmac
02-17-17, 12:12
https://youtu.be/-ywu6rIXXy4

On top of their "So hidden, it's like the footsteps of a Navy SEAL" advertising that makes me cringe like crazy every time. No thank you. For carry without the thought of actually drawing, I like the idea of a low carry holster you can sit and maneuver in.
Yeah, the "footsteps" comparison is a little cringe-worthy.

As to your video, that's no longer valid. It happened occasionally with the original version, not in the current "G2" version.

I actually have one and use it. I am generally opposed to IWB carry for it's impracticality for my particular mesomorphic body type. I still prefer 4:00 OWB, but in dress clothes where I'm not wearing a jacket, this Urban Carry holster works well...far better for me than conventional IWB. But...like all holsters, different people have different expectations. Hard to propose any kind of universally optimal holster of any kind.

WickedWillis
02-17-17, 12:26
Yeah, the "footsteps" comparison is a little cringe-worthy. As to your video, that happened occasionally with the original version. Not in the current "G2" version. I actually have one and use it. I am generally opposed to IWB carry for it's impracticality for my particular mesomorphic body type. I still prefer 4:00 OWB, but in dress clothes where I'm not wearing a jacket, this Urban Carry holster works well...far better for me than conventional IWB

Yeah I can see it working for the exact uses you guys described earlier in the thread. Makes sense that it's very comfortable for sitting, and for deep concealing when you normally would not carry.

Mr. Greene
02-17-17, 14:27
this may be an option, I know Ted Blocker makes his LFI rig which uses a Velcro lined belt with a holster. Maybe a little experimentation and it may open up a new business for you. check out his website for the visual

Outlander Systems
02-17-17, 14:46
I should add WickedWillis to the title...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjjdTno_9L0

WickedWillis
02-17-17, 14:59
I should add WickedWillis to the title...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjjdTno_9L0

WTF did I do to deserve this? :sarcastic:

Outlander Systems
02-17-17, 16:09
LOL. Nah fam, you are officially in on the inside joke.

Me and those two yahoos had previously discussed our seething annoyance at that commercial.

gamc
02-17-17, 16:14
Take a look at Sheriff of Baghdad's Glock Condom with the flap that let's you tuck your shirt ,he also has one of the old SOE/OSS style kydex holsters with the string like they used years ago for deep concealment.
I have been using a Glock Condom for over a year it is without a doubt the most functional holster I have ever used, for reference I am 60 yrs old and having been carrying a gun for work and now personally for 38 yr's
http://sobtactical.com/store/leather-holsters/
http://sobtactical.com/store/kydex-holsters/

vpetrell
02-17-17, 17:34
These are all great options for me to look at. What I really need is a better way to hid the clip of my holster when I can't wear a fleece pullover or sweater.

I am hoping to find something that looks like part of the belt I am wearing.

Another option is look at getting a smaller pistol for pocket carry, but don't feel like dropping 400+ on a 43.

The sob may be an option....

Kdubya
02-17-17, 17:51
If I were primarily looking to hide the clip, the Ulticlip would be my first look. They're small, and can be covered by your belt. Their retention is reportedly very secure. Also might save one from having to buy a whole new rig.

vpetrell
02-17-17, 18:02
If I were primarily looking to hide the clip, the Ulticlip would be my first look. They're small, and can be covered by your belt. Their retention is reportedly very secure. Also might save one from having to buy a whole new rig.

How would that work with the weight of the pistol not being on the belt? Would I get any sag?

556BlackRifle
02-17-17, 18:45
OP, I'm not sure if you can adapt these clips (http://www.topgunsupply.com/vm2-kydex-clips-1-set.html) to your rig but if you can, they are the best tuckable clips I've ever seen. I have a set that I used on my VM II for my CBOB. The way these clips work is that you install them over your pants waist but behind the belt. The bottom of the clip is looped such that once your belt is on, there's no way you can pull them off your pants. They are hardly visible and super strong. The only drawback (for me anyway) is that they are a PITA to put on. But once on, they're rock solid.

556BlackRifle
02-17-17, 18:51

I hate that kind of shit. :suicide:

SFree
02-17-17, 19:21
Have to second the Sar Major's condom holster, especially the "tuck" version. SOBtactical.com Mr. McPhee also has vids explaining the history of development and positional options. Leather or kydex...

gamc
02-17-17, 19:27
vpetrell, my bad if you look closely at that clip it can be worn with the belt on top ,if I am not being lazy or hung over in the am in which case I put the clip over the belt, I stick the gun in my pants and then put the belt over the top, very little flags . John actually has the clip made where it has a lip at the bottom on both sides , in the summer with shorts I don't even use a belt and the holster still stays put . When I work in a non gun friendly environment I take my clip on cell case and mask the clip, just saying, in the old days we took the BB and wore it appendix, gun is behind it, they never knew :o

Kdubya
02-17-17, 20:27
How would that work with the weight of the pistol not being on the belt? Would I get any sag?

With a good belt, kept relatively snug, I'd imagine any "sag" would be negligible. However, I don't have first hand experience to guarantee it. If you do some reading on the pistol centric forums, you'll see users who run them behind the belt with good results. You'll even have people who use them without a belt. I looked into them about a year ago, and they seemed promising. I'll see if I can dig up some threads/videos that specifically discuss being used behind, or without, a belt.

MegademiC
02-17-17, 21:49
If you could get a j clip for a vg2, it might work very well. I carry a shield in a comp tac 2 oclock and am happy with it.

vpetrell
02-17-17, 21:53
Thanks everybody. This is great. Almost too many options to look at.

The uticlip has my attention so far.

556BlackRifle
02-18-17, 01:01
Thanks everybody. This is great. Almost too many options to look at.

The uticlip has my attention so far.

The ulticlip works pretty well but it does stick out behind the belt a bit more than I like.

rathos
02-24-17, 02:56
have you tried wearing a phone holster that would cover the clip? When I worked in a less permissive environment I wore a tuckable single clip and would position the phone holster to cover the clip.

Hmac
02-24-17, 05:16
Almost too many options to look at.

Yeah, that pretty much describes the world of holsters. Different guns, different clothing demands, different body types, different expectations means lots and lots of choices and it's always been a longstanding chase to find the setup that works for any one individual person.

vpetrell
02-24-17, 07:06
have you tried wearing a phone holster that would cover the clip? When I worked in a less permissive environment I wore a tuckable single clip and would position the phone holster to cover the clip.

That thought crossed my mind. The cell phone holster is not my cup of tea by any means, but would be a great way to cover the clip a little more.

Another solution I am working on is making a leather strap in place of the clip on my holster now. I am getting a leather carry belt soon and that could be a way to blend it in as well.