PDA

View Full Version : Taking a serious look at a Les Baer SRP - thoughts?

macman37
09-20-08, 23:59
What's the consensus on this 1911?

I think I can get one for a good price, used. They're purdy.

Here's a pic from LB's website

http://www.lesbaer.com/images/swift.jpg

oooOOOOOOooooo ;)

UPDATE: I went to the store (the Cabelas in Dundee MI) and hefted the SRP and it was very nice, buttery smooth, but it had more wear on it than the pics showed (as is often the case with a well-taken series of photos; the imperfections don't show)... So when they said they had an Ed Brown Special Forces ... I grabbed that and didn't let go ;) I bought it new. I can't wait to get it to the range now.

Upon returning home I compared the EBSF to my Kimber Classic Gold Match... well, there is no comparison. What was my favorite 1911 is now my second favorite 1911. The SF is tighter and feels more solid in my hand. The chain link grip texture feels great, but it doesn't have the purchase that aggressive checkering does. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you accidentally mis-grip it slightly. All in all I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Thanks for the input all!
jim

DocGKR
09-21-08, 00:04
You would be better off with a SA Professional model.

POF.Ops
09-21-08, 00:48
Nah. My thoughts are they are awesome!

Rana
09-21-08, 07:09
You would be better off with a SA Professional model.

I agree. You get more of a shooters gun for the money with the SA.

Personally I have never seen the mystique behind LB guns.

They must have a devout following however.

d90king
09-21-08, 07:35
The SRP is a great 1911 and you will not find a more accurate and reliable pistol on the market. I own many 1911's but for some reason when it is time to train or go to the range there is always a Baer or two making the trip with me. The SRP with a 10-8 rear is a great setup. The Bear coat is also a nice finish, I will say it is not as durable as one would think. But then again honest wear on a pistol is a good thing.;)

rob_s
09-21-08, 08:25
In my experience, Baer pistols are too tight out of the box. In speaking with Gunsite instructors, who see a lot of such things, they concur and the tightness of a pistol that someone shows up to school with having never (or not much) fired it before can be a major issue. That said, if the example you're looking at is well used, then you may avoid this issue.

$2500 NIB? I can think of quite a few others I'd be interested in at that price. Including stepping down a bit and going with Baer's own TR (the only Baer I'm interested in) for $700 less.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19307

mpardun
09-21-08, 08:55
My SRP was part of the original FBI HRT build and I never found it to feed 100% as it was just too tight (even after 1,500 rounds).

I personally think Ed Brown builds a great (IMHO better) alternative in the Special Forces for $500 less ($2k retail).
Here is a pic of my Kobra - 5k rounds and NO malfunctions, 1" groups all day long:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z302/mpardun/KobraBlondDaimondbacks.jpg

Also, do yourself a favor and look at Wilson CQB and Nighthawk GRP for the $2100 range.

ToddG
09-21-08, 09:52
My SRP was part of the original FBI HRT build and I never found it to feed 100% as it was just too tight (even after 1,500 rounds).

The Bureau's Baers were all built on Para frames using Para mags. Comparing the reliability of those guns to a standard single stack design is unfair.

d90king
09-21-08, 10:56
[QUOTE=rob_s;221828]In my experience, Baer pistols are too tight out of the box. In speaking with Gunsite instructors, who see a lot of such things, they concur and the tightness of a pistol that someone shows up to school with having never (or not much) fired it before can be a major issue.

That is a very fair critique Baer's are to tight out of the box. The Bear coat pistols are easier than the blued ones to break in. The Bear coat pistols seem to be perfect after around 1200-1500 rounds the blued, HC, and SS sometimes take 2k until they are easily manipulated during training. That said they are dead nuts accurate and very reliable after you get them heated up and broken in.

macman37
09-21-08, 10:57
This SRP is used, and substantially less than the $2500 pricetag on a new one. Like $700 less, and the thing looks brand new.

I have it on hold at a place. I'll be looking at the used SRP and comparing it to a new Ed Brown Special Forces model for around $2k while I'm there.

Thanks for the input, all!

jim

d90king
09-21-08, 11:05
I will also add if you go with the SRP when you get it take the buff out and get it wet, then put 500-800 rounds through it without taking apart and cleaning. If you follow that you can reduce your break in time considerably.

John_Wayne777
09-21-08, 11:54
My Baer was also extremely tight out of the box....it took two people to open the action the first time.

The only malfunction it has ever suffered was a stovepipe on round 3 of the initial 500 round break-in period....and that was probably my fault. Sample of 1 and all that, but after a lot of rounds she's still running just fine.

If I had it to do over I'd have no problem buying another Baer, but I'd get one without the checkered frontstrap.

All that said:

I'd listen very carefully to what the guys with blue names say if you're looking for a 1911 for serious social purposes.

Federale
09-21-08, 12:22
I have far more experience with the Springfield Pro than I do with the Baers, but that's because I also think the Springfield Pro is the better pistol.

MaceWindu
09-21-08, 14:10
$2500 NIB? I can think of quite a few others I'd be interested in at that price. Including stepping down a bit and going with Baer's own TR (the only Baer I'm interested in) for $700 less.

Agreed. I have (2) LB TRS and they RUN. Very good value for the money. I got (1) NIB for $1.4K and an excellent used one for $1.3K :D

Mace

theJanitor
09-21-08, 14:14
i had a couple of fail-to-feeds in the first 600 rounds of my Baer (not SRP) but it's proven to be reliable since, with minimal cleaning. this particular model is over priced IMO. for this category, the SA pro and the Wilson Protector/CQB would fit the bill well, as would the TRP.

mpardun
09-21-08, 15:50
The Bureau's Baers were all built on Para frames using Para mags. Comparing the reliability of those guns to a standard single stack design is unfair.

TRUE...I should have been more clear, mine was not one of the FBI destined HRT batch, but the single stack version Les did to the same spec, following delivery of the HRT build (mid/end ~1998). Mine had BaerCoat and even after 1,500 round, still had a few FTF's per hundred rounds fired - using Wilson, CMC and ACT mags.

It never made it to my daily carry rotation as I never trusted it 100%. Sold it and bought an early chromed Nighthawk Talon w/ light rail in 1994 - a real tack driver (but heavy)

Steel
09-21-08, 16:42
That LB looks just like my SA Loaded. My loaded hasn't had a problem since I bought it. Go with a SA.

ToddG
09-21-08, 16:56
FWIW, I put many thousands of rounds through an LE agency's brand new Springfield custom shop 1911's last year. The guns were extremely tight out of the box and many had multiple problems during the initial 1,000-round break-in period. The FI for the team was not worried because the guns don't see field use until they've seen at least that many rounds in training.

HK45
09-21-08, 18:09
I don't know why people say the SA is a better pistol without saying why they think that. It would be more helpful if they were more specific. I have quite a few Les Baers (5), none of them a SRP though. Baers are no longer as tight out of the box as they used to be at least the last few Thunder Ranch's I have seen weren't. Anyway all mine were extremely tight out of the box but I have never had any issues with any of them and that includes during the rather long break in period. I find them quite well made with quality materials and very accurate. I think the TRS model is the best deal in a high end 1911 available right now. Mine are all blued so i can't comment on Bear Coat. The poster would be well advised to also check out the 1911 forums for comments on this pistol. If it was me, $1800 for an SRP would be hard to pass up.

HK45
09-21-08, 18:12
Those would be very different pistols in fit and finish and especially quality of material as the Loaded is Loaded with MIM.

That LB looks just like my SA Loaded. My loaded hasn't had a problem since I bought it. Go with a SA.

Federale
09-21-08, 18:37
I don't know why people say the SA is a better pistol without saying why they think that.

For me its personal preference - and familiarity.

I don't like the front cocking serrations, and prefer more aggressive checkering. I like the magwell, and have found the Black T coating to be extremely durable. The Professional is built to stringent specifications and is an excellent, proven performer.

Oh, and if, god forbid you need service, the Springfield Custom Shop has an excellent reputation. I have not heard the same thing about Baer's service. At least not almost universally.

For $2,500, you should be able to get a pistol built with features you like. The SRP is missing some that I prefer. The Springfield Professional has the specifications I prefer. I have had Nighthawk built me a railed 1911 to my exact specifications and it cost closer to $2,000 and, in my opinion, is a better choice than buying the SRP - unless that SRP is EXACTLY what you want.

And to the other poster who suggested that the Baer looks like a SA Loaded.... well, there's a lot more to it than looks.

HK45
09-21-08, 18:47
Thanks.

The few times I have had an issue with a Baer they put Les on the phone and the issue was fixed ASAP. I have no idea if that is the general experience. I don't actually like the aggressive checking on Springfields including the TRP. I do think Baers are kind of midway between Kimber and SA checkering in sharpness. Then again I would be fine with no checkering at all but thats a matter of taste.

This guy is getting the SRP for $1800 which is about what you get a TRS for these days. Even so at $1800 I would be closely checking out other options to be sure it was the right move. Also the pistol is apparently used and I don't know Baers policy on supporting used pistol. Should probably check that out.

rob_s
09-21-08, 18:53
I'm with federale re: price:features ratio. $2500 NIB is a LOT of money for that gun when keeping the entire market in mind and looking at other options at that price.

Even at $1800, it's not accurate to compare a used SRP at $1800 to a new (for example) EB Special Forces at $1900. Not sure you'd find a used SF for $1400 (.28% markdown the same as the SRP), but certainly $1500 wouldn't be a stretch for a gun that sold new at $1900.

I agree with HK45 that a $700 markdown would be a serious red flag to me unless the seller was someone I really knew and trusted and knew up front why they were giving me such a good deal.

macman37
09-21-08, 19:14
I'm with federale re: price:features ratio. $2500 NIB is a LOT of money for that gun when keeping the entire market in mind and looking at other options at that price.

Even at $1800, it's not accurate to compare a used SRP at $1800 to a new (for example) EB Special Forces at $1900. Not sure you'd find a used SF for $1400 (.28% markdown the same as the SRP), but certainly $1500 wouldn't be a stretch for a gun that sold new at $1900.

I agree with HK45 that a $700 markdown would be a serious red flag to me unless the seller was someone I really knew and trusted and knew up front why they were giving me such a good deal.

It's at a local (to me obviously) prominent gun dealer / outdoor store ... I have it on hold so nobody can gaffle it out from under me before I look at it. ;)

The barrel is listed as being in "good" (not "Very good") condition for some reason. I haven't held the gun yet. That might be why the gun's $700 off new. The pics are inconclusive -- the gun looks 97-98% condition (I just looked at them again) except for a bit of wear on the barrel hood (the part of the barrel you can see through the ejection port)... If the previous owner shot a lot of lead through it that's not a problem, I can get the lead out. I can't see how that would be possible though, given the overall condition of the gun.

I've wanted a nice high(er) end 1911 for probably 20 years now (I'm almost 37) and figured this could be it. If it isn't, well, they also have a Wilson Combat (for more $$$) and a few Ed Brown Special Forces 1911s for me to feel up while I'm there. For comparison, I have 2 Para Ord 1911s and a very nice Kimber Classic Gold Match for comparison.

So this Les Baer looks really, really nice to me. :)

Thanks for the input, all.

jim

uranus
09-21-08, 22:19
I have a Bear Police Special (64 units produced for a Texas distributor), which is esentially an SRP without the ambi safety, and a Baer factory hard-chrome TRS. They are very tight, "Baer tight," especially the Police Special. I have never had a failure with either pistol. The triggers are perfectly smooth with approx. 4.5 lbs pull, which is about a pound heavier than my Wilson CQB compact. The Baers are extremely accurate. They are beautifully finished, which I think a purchaser should expect with a $2000.00 or more "tool." I don't think you should go wrong with a Baer, provided it is in good condition, or a Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, RRA, an STI (the Lawman), or another top-quality limited production pistol.

However, as HK45 and Rob suggested, if the price is uncharacteristically low, let the buyer beware.

MarshallDodge
09-23-08, 23:08
My experience with Baer pistols has been limited. I purchased a used Concept VIII this year and really enjoy shooting it. It has run everything from light 185 grain loads all the way up to 230 grain Hydrashoks and it just keeps running. Getting close to 500 rounds with no hiccups.

I was able to shoot a TRS on Monday and the gun ran like a swiss watch. It was for sale and will be added to the stable soon. :cool:

I have never shot a TRP but have shot/owned several other Springfields and I am not all that impressed. I can say that they have very good customer service.

POF.Ops
09-23-08, 23:11
http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pZDFsLN8L1g2VrwPi2P67B83yp5vi0jVAdtBIg4Xq89P0PH-mIfOA_w

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1p2Xuahrt9m0EzMkLcMlf4_QJOkk7jZUemUzz7qXutY6s2NGmKxGKNuMukeUb-Ke4L

My SRP has shot little tiny holes w/o a FTF in over 2000 rounds. I had a Premier II that was the same way. The gun runs like a Swiss watch. The frame to slide fit is tight, so what difference does that make? If I were you I'd go check it out. If it doesn't work out go for the Wilson Combat.

macman37
09-24-08, 21:56
http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pZDFsLN8L1g2VrwPi2P67B83yp5vi0jVAdtBIg4Xq89P0PH-mIfOA_w

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1p2Xuahrt9m0EzMkLcMlf4_QJOkk7jZUemUzz7qXutY6s2NGmKxGKNuMukeUb-Ke4L

My SRP has shot little tiny holes w/o a FTF in over 2000 rounds. I had a Premier II that was the same way. The gun runs like a Swiss watch. The frame to slide fit is tight, so what difference does that make? If I were you I'd go check it out. If it doesn't work out go for the Wilson Combat.

Beautiful guns!

The one I'm looking at has the same features (so far as I can tell) to your SS version but it's got the Baer Coat. :)

POF.Ops
09-24-08, 23:20
Actually, it's the Hard Chrome finish from Baer.

sff70
09-25-08, 01:13
I've owned 2 Baers (P2 with the 1.5" option, and a TRC), and was very pleased with their performance.

They compared very well to my other high-end 1911s (Heinie, Yost, NHC, STI, and SVI).

Baers are tight when new. After about 1k, they are simply smooth as grease on glass, with no play whatsoever. People think it's the slide fit, but it's actually the barrel bushing that's so tight. You need a steel wrench to remove it. It helps to retract the slide about 1/2".

My reasons for selling them in no way reflect on the pistol, I just needed the funds at the time.

If this pistol is in good shape, get it.

Ian111
09-25-08, 01:36
Even though I own both a Springfield Custom Professional and a Les Baer TRS I don't have enough rounds through them (a little over 10,000 with the Pro and a few thousand with the Baer) to really give a fair testimony about long term reliability or durability. Reliability has been good with both and accuracy is about equal with my mediocre skills. They're both built tight and smooth up and loosen up nicely the more you use them. I don't think its easy for me to say which one is better. Quality of build is equal in their own way they each have their personalities and quirks.

If you really like the 1911 platform I think you'll like the SRP compared to the usual Colt/Kimber/SA 1911's you might be used to. It is definately an upgrade. But if you're new to 1911's in general or aren't quite committed to them it may change your mind about 1911's for the good or it may not.

(All 1911's are picky about which magazines they like and these are no different.).

macman37
09-28-08, 17:42
Bump with update, see first post :)

d90king
09-28-08, 17:57
What's the consensus on this 1911?

I think I can get one for a good price, used. They're purdy.

Here's a pic from LB's website

http://www.lesbaer.com/images/swift.jpg

oooOOOOOOooooo ;)

UPDATE: I went to the store (the Cabelas in Dundee MI) and hefted the SRP and it was very nice, buttery smooth, but it had more wear on it than the pics showed (as is often the case with a well-taken series of photos; the imperfections don't show)... So when they said they had an Ed Brown Special Forces ... I grabbed that and didn't let go ;) I bought it new. I can't wait to get it to the range now.

Upon returning home I compared the EBSF to my Kimber Classic Gold Match... well, there is no comparison. What was my favorite 1911 is now my second favorite 1911. The SF is tighter and feels more solid in my hand. The chain link grip texture feels great, but it doesn't have the purchase that aggressive checkering does. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you accidentally mis-grip it slightly. All in all I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Thanks for the input all!
jim

Congrats on your new EB, he makes a nice 1911. I have a Kobra Carry and the Snakeskin is a nice change from time to time.

rob_s
09-28-08, 20:05
My one suggestion on the EBSF is to change out the grips. The wood grips they use are extremely fat. It felt like a new gun when I changed mine out.

I really like the Double Diamond G10 from VZ Grips (http://vzgrips.com/grips.html).

MarshallDodge
09-28-08, 20:22
Congrats on a fine purchase. You can't go wrong with an Ed Brown. :cool:

macman37
09-28-08, 22:28
My one suggestion on the EBSF is to change out the grips. The wood grips they use are extremely fat. It felt like a new gun when I changed mine out.

I really like the Double Diamond G10 from {url=http://vzgrips.com/grips.html]VZ Grips[/url].

Actually I was going to ask what you guys thought of Alumagrips. I want my personal logo on the grips. ;)

d90king
09-29-08, 07:53

I really like the Double Diamond G10 from {url=http://vzgrips.com/grips.html]VZ Grips[/url].

These are also very nice....... just make sure you use the sand paper that comes with them to take the points off. ;)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/DSCN0755.jpg

VooDoo6Actual
09-29-08, 14:51
IMO the best pistol for the money is SA FBI PRO CRG w/ LR.

Forget about the MIM parts debate. NON issue. I have talked w/ Dave and Deb at SA Pro Shop for years and they LAUGH at the moribund claims that the MIM parts are failing. Ask to see BONAFIDE documentation of MIM parts failure from SA Pro Pistols. NO ONE has it.

It's less than .0001 %

SA spends more time on these than any other pistols and they are done right. The TDP (Technical Data Package) is par excellance. Accuracy, fitment, quality is top shelf.