PDA

View Full Version : M4C range day in North Texas

nightchief
02-18-17, 18:19
Hi all,

Several of us M4C'ers in DFW/North Texas area chatted about getting together (http://https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?54632-Texas-check-in/page32) for a range day at ETTS (http://www.ettsgunrange.com/)near Waxahachie sometime in March, similar to the FLA folks gathering from a few months ago. No date has been set, just a lot of banter so far. Moving the idea over to this area of the forum to see how much interest there is among our Texas brothers and sisters.

NC

SeriousStudent
02-18-17, 20:34
Depending on work and training schedules, I would be interested in attending. I have never been to that facility, but it is within driving distance.

I'm going to the Rangemaster Tactical Conference on March 17-19, so that weekend is already taken for me.

nightchief
02-18-17, 22:19
Depending on work and training schedules, I would be interested in attending. I have never been to that facility, but it is within driving distance.

I'm going to the Rangemaster Tactical Conference on March 17-19, so that weekend is already taken for me.

Are week days a possibility? I have a work schedule with some weekdays off, others may also

NC

rjacobs
02-19-17, 17:25
I would be in for this. ETTS is my home range and I am qualified on the long range.

RobertTheTexan
02-19-17, 20:12
Not sure about others but weekdays would be pretty difficult without taking a vacation day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightchief
02-19-17, 20:15
Not sure about others but weekdays would be pretty difficult without taking a vacation day.

ok...we should start looking for a weekend, I prefer Sunday, only because the range tends to have less people...unless the temp is really low, like under 50 here in Tejas!

NC

mballz23
02-19-17, 21:27
ok...we should start looking for a weekend, I prefer Sunday, only because the range tends to have less people...unless the temp is really low, like under 50 here in Tejas!

NC

Agreed, Saturdays are always slammed at any range. But I do believe we could claim a bay at ETTS right? RJAcobs, care to confirm or disprove? Cause if we could do that busy or not wouldn't matter.

rjacobs
02-19-17, 21:34
Agreed, Saturdays are always slammed at any range. But I do believe we could claim a bay at ETTS right? RJAcobs, care to confirm or disprove? Cause if we could do that busy or not wouldn't matter.

I would have to talk to the owner and see if thats possible. Ive honestly never asked.

Once you get there and you claim a bay, its yours until you leave, but to pre-claim a bay, not sure. They will bring whatever steel out you want generally too. Last time I took a small group on a Saturday we had no problem getting a pistol bay, although it was 100 degrees outside.

The 2nd and 3rd weekends of every month they have competitions(steel match and 3 gun), but those are usually limited to pistol bays and the un-known distance range. The first weekend might be IPSC, but its not run by ETTS. The bigger AR bays are usually not used although I have seen one of the back bays being used for CCW range time. The long range is hit or miss with it being busy.

nightchief
02-19-17, 21:50
I would have to talk to the owner and see if thats possible. Ive honestly never asked.

Once you get there and you claim a bay, its yours until you leave, but to pre-claim a bay, not sure. They will bring whatever steel out you want generally too. Last time I took a small group on a Saturday we had no problem getting a pistol bay, although it was 100 degrees outside.

The 2nd and 3rd weekends of every month they have competitions(steel match and 3 gun), but those are usually limited to pistol bays and the un-known distance range. The first weekend might be IPSC, but its not run by ETTS. The bigger AR bays are usually not used although I have seen one of the back bays being used for CCW range time. The long range is hit or miss with it being busy.

Mar 11/12 and 25/26 I am available. Apr 1/2 are also a possibility, but we are supposed to move into a new house right about that time, so the other dates would be preferable.

NC

nightchief
02-19-17, 21:53
Looking at ETTS's calendar, Mar 12 is an open day with no classes or competitions.

http://www.ettsgunrange.com/etts-calendar/

mballz23
02-20-17, 00:11

Yeah I would assume we'd have to get there fairly early to claim a bay. That's kinda what I was getting at. But if we could get it prior that would be cool too. We should definitely make this a reoccurring thing for guys that can't make the first meet dependent on dates.

nightchief
02-20-17, 00:15
Yeah I would assume we'd have to get there fairly early to claim a bay. That's kinda what I was getting at. But if we could get it prior that would be cool too. We should definitely make this a reoccurring thing for guys that can't make the first meet dependent on dates.

I'm up for being there when they open. 0800 or 0900 start. I'll lobby for Sunday, Mar 12.

RobertTheTexan
02-20-17, 00:21

NC

Agreed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjacobs
02-20-17, 12:27
Yea Sunday the 12th would work. I dont have my work schedule yet so I cant confirm. If I make it up there this week(once it dries out) ill talk to the owner and ask about reserving a bay.

Just be aware that if it rains within a day or two before, dont go, its mostly all dirt and turns to mud very easily. I stay clear for 3-4 days after a heavy rain like last night. The pistol bays arent as bad because they are covered with old ground up asphalt that has been laid down and compacted a bit, but the AR bays are straight dirt/mud. The 200 yard target range is covered and concrete as is the long range.

echo5whiskey
02-20-17, 17:20
Haha! The 12th is my first day back to work after vacay, so I'll be missing the first one. I'll keep up with this, and keep an eye on we can come up with for future days, though.

nightchief
02-20-17, 21:16
Haha! The 12th is my first day back to work after vacay, so I'll be missing the first one. I'll keep up with this, and keep an eye on we can come up with for future days, though.

Echo5, Sorry you will be unable to attend the inaugural gathering. Hopefully there will be many more.

Are we committed to Mar 12, weather permitting?

echo5whiskey
02-20-17, 22:05
Echo5, Sorry you will be unable to attend the inaugural gathering. Hopefully there will be many more.

Sometimes life just happens. The world doesn't revolve around me, so it's all good. Hopefully there's enough interest in this, that there WILL be more

RobertTheTexan
02-21-17, 00:13

I'm writing it in my calendar.

Kenneth
02-21-17, 07:18
So march 12th?

nightchief
02-21-17, 09:13
[QUOTE=Kenneth;2457608]So march 12th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yes...Mar 12 at ETTS

CPM
02-22-17, 01:00
I frequented(past tense) ETTS for the past year. About a month or two ago I went out and they had removed all steel due to asshats shooting it to pieces. The refused to bring any out.

I am a member at the Lone Star Gun Club in Mesquite. Almost the same setup as ETTS, but way less rules(If that's even possible)They also have a 600 yard range(15 stations) with 5-6 steel plates set up at the 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 hundred yard lines.

It's also $20 per person vs $30 at ETTS. Either way I'm in, but I think ETTS is overrated and I used to drive 1.5 hours to get there twice a month.

I also shoot almost every weekend, in numerous disciplines. If anyone wants to meet up and drop some hammers or just grab a meal or coffee and talk guns in North Texas send me a PM and we can exchange numbers. I live in McKinney.

nightchief
02-22-17, 01:26
I frequented(past tense) ETTS for the past year. About a month or two ago I went out and they had removed all steel due to asshats shooting it to pieces. The refused to bring any out.

I am a member at the Lone Star Gun Club in Mesquite. Almost the same setup as ETTS, but way less rules(If that's even possible)They also have a 600 yard range(15 stations) with 5-6 steel plates set up at the 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 hundred yard lines.

It's also $20 per person vs $30 at ETTS. Either way I'm in, but I think ETTS is overrated and I used to drive 1.5 hours to get there twice a month.

I also shoot almost every weekend, in numerous disciplines. If anyone wants to meet up and drop some hammers or just grab a meal or coffee and talk guns in North Texas send me a PM and we can exchange numbers. I live in McKinney.

I'm good with either place...about the same drive for me. Might be a longer drive for the folks south of the metroplex or northwest of it. I just wanna meet some of you all and have a good day shooting.
NC

echo5whiskey
02-22-17, 16:32
Wherever you guys go, stay safe, have fun, and take lots of pictures. At least let me have a good time, vicariously. lol

rjacobs
02-22-17, 23:08
Thats news to me that ETTS has removed all steel.

I havent been in a few months though due to work obligations.

In any event, I am not going to be able to make the 12th as I will be out of the country those days. Just got my March/April schedule.

Oh well, have fun guys.

SeriousStudent
02-22-17, 23:18
You know, it's a pity that Meshack's BBQ in Garland is not open on Sunday. It's not that far a drive from Lone Star Gun Club in Mesquite.

echo5whiskey
02-22-17, 23:50
You know, it's a pity that Meshack's BBQ in Garland is not open on Sunday. It's not that far a drive from Lone Star Gun Club in Mesquite.

Could always move it to the 11th. :sarcastic:

Leaveammoforme
02-23-17, 03:01
While I'm unable to do any Sunday stuff, I'm always at the NTSA carbine (1st Saturday of month) and handgun (3rd Saturday) match.

NTSA is about a half hour north of DFW. I'm a Squad Leader/RSO so we wouldn't have to worry about a random loud mouth, just a known loud mouth. Nah, I kid. We're all pretty calm and patient.

We could squad together as long as it doesn't make our squad too heavy. Generally 30-40 shooters and 4 squads. No prize table with USPSA style scoring.

The Match Directors always do a great job of making "dual purpose" COF's to fit all skill levels. Very "first match" friendly. All right, I'm rambling... Click the "submit post" button already...

nightchief
02-23-17, 04:15
While I'm unable to do any Sunday stuff, I'm always at the NTSA carbine (1st Saturday of month) and handgun (3rd Saturday) match.

NTSA is about a half hour north of DFW. I'm a Squad Leader/RSO so we wouldn't have to worry about a random loud mouth, just a known loud mouth. Nah, I kid. We're all pretty calm and patient.

We could squad together as long as it doesn't make our squad too heavy. Generally 30-40 shooters and 4 squads. No prize table with USPSA style scoring.

The Match Directors always do a great job of making "dual purpose" COF's to fit all skill levels. Very "first match" friendly. All right, I'm rambling... Click the "submit post" button already...

All these options!!! Great to see all this interest in getting together. Though we need to commit to a location. All of these options work for me. My main criteria is the freedom to shoot fmj ammo, and be able to shoot on the move, draw, etc. I can't stand places that only allow bench shooting.

RobertTheTexan
02-23-17, 05:03

It's more driving but sounds like a good option to me.

CPM
02-23-17, 11:00
I'll be shooting IDPA this Saturday just north of McKinney. Anyone want to join? I'll drive, shoot me a pm.

Leaveammoforme
02-23-17, 14:17
All these options!!! Great to see all this interest in getting together. Though we need to commit to a location. All of these options work for me. My main criteria is the freedom to shoot fmj ammo, and be able to shoot on the move, draw, etc. I can't stand places that only allow bench shooting.

It's more driving but sounds like a good option to me.

I should have mentioned that I'm not trying to hijack a meet up location or date. Just mentioned it since it's a constant & repeating event that may work for someone's schedule at some point.

I'll be shooting IDPA this Saturday just north of McKinney. Anyone want to join? I'll drive, shoot me a pm.

I might roll with you. What range is it at? I would need to research it some to know if I could make it.

There's also a IDPA style match over at Dallas Pistol Club on Saturday.

CPM
02-23-17, 21:44
CCIDPA.org

Leaveammoforme
02-24-17, 00:14
CCIDPA.org

If I read correctly, host range will be M160. It's a bit out of my range (drive time wise) plus I would need the pre-match 45 minute new guy flogging.

Thanks for offer though.

RobertTheTexan
02-24-17, 23:45
Could always move it to the 11th. :sarcastic:

Well I just found out that 3-12 like probably be a travel day for me. And not travel to DFW. That just sucks.
So Echo we'll have to watch from the sidelines.
This really chaps me man. Bummer.

nightchief
02-25-17, 09:24
Well I just found out that 3-12 like probably be a travel day for me. And not travel to DFW. That just sucks.

We haven't committed to a date...we could make our gathering later in the month so that more can attend. I certainly don't want to show up and be the only one there!

Kenneth
02-25-17, 09:27
Yea I have to work on the 13th or whatever date y'all stated so that will not work.

nightchief
02-25-17, 10:22
Yea I have to work on the 13th or whatever date y'all stated so that will not work.

How does Sunday, March 26 look to everyone?

echo5whiskey
02-26-17, 22:36
How does Sunday, March 26 look to everyone?

After the 11th, I won't have any weekends off until October; but you guys do what works best for the whole. Maybe we can find a smaller group for a weekday shoot some time.

Seems par for the course for me. Lol.

nightchief
02-27-17, 06:43
After the 11th, I won't have any weekends off until October; but you guys do what works best for the whole. Maybe we can find a smaller group for a weekday shoot some time.

Seems par for the course for me. Lol.

My work schedule changed too. I'm unavailable 3/12, so that pretty much kills the 3/12 weekend. What about Sunday 3/26?

echo5whiskey
02-27-17, 16:44
Let's do this: I hate to be "that guy," but how about everyone post up all their available days for the month of March. I'll put it on a spreadsheet, and see what folks are available on what days. Maybe we can organize it that way. Any takers?

nightchief
02-27-17, 16:49
Let's do this: I hate to be "that guy," but how about everyone post up all their available days for the month of March. I'll put it on a spreadsheet, and see what folks are available on what days. Maybe we can organize it that way. Any takers?

Good with me...I love spread sheets!

3/6, 7, 8 & 9; 3/13, 14, 15 & 16; 3/20 & 21; 3/24, 25 & 26; 4/1 & 2

NC

echo5whiskey
02-27-17, 16:57
Good with me...I love spread sheets!

3/6, 7, 8 & 9; 3/13, 14, 15 & 16; 3/20 & 21; 3/24, 25 & 26; 4/1 & 2

NC

Noted

echo5whiskey
02-27-17, 21:24
Stand by for better attachment...

echo5whiskey
02-27-17, 21:54

RobertTheTexan
02-27-17, 22:21

So what should I do with this? Besides figure out that you and Chief do not work nearly enough...

Hehehe

echo5whiskey
02-27-17, 22:34
So what should I do with this? Besides figure out that you and Chief do not work nearly enough...

Hehehe

:lazy:

If you want to tell me your days off, I'll add you to the calendar. Once folks start seeing who all have some off-days in common, it might make it easier to set up a shoot.

mballz23
02-27-17, 23:33
17/18/19 and 24/25/26. If it's a Sunday and starts in the morning I'll have to meet up in the afternoon after church. Trying to be a better person here. However my weekends aren't ever technically free so... but those dates are cool with me. The first weekend I'll be leaving the state. That second weekend I'll be getting back Sunday night

nightchief
02-28-17, 06:03
17/18/19 and 24/25/26. If it's a Sunday and starts in the morning I'll have to meet up in the afternoon after church. Trying to be a better person here. However my weekends aren't ever technically free so... but those dates are cool with me. The first weekend I'll be leaving the state. That second weekend I'll be getting back Sunday night

I'm always down with shooting on a weekday...since I don't have to work! :cool:

mballz23
02-28-17, 10:35
I'm always down with shooting on a weekday...since I don't have to work! :cool:

Dang it Chief!!! Rub it in our faces why don't you! Well mine's school but, same thing. Speaking of I really don't feel like going right now[emoji43]On a serious note, Friday's are completely open for me in comparison to Saturday's or Sunday's. So I guess one "weekday" is good with me[emoji23]

nightchief
02-28-17, 11:32
Dang it Chief!!! Rub it in our faces why don't you! Well mine's school but, same thing. Speaking of I really don't feel like going right now[emoji43]On a serious note, Friday's are completely open for me in comparison to Saturday's or Sunday's. So I guess one "weekday" is good with me[emoji23]

Well, its not a complete face rub, as I have to work the next three Fridays in a row (and the weekends)...we also work 12 hour shifts, so its not quite as lite a schedule as it appears. I actually like having weekdays off, so I don't have to all of my stuff (including shooting) with the rest of the metroplex on the weekend!

echo5whiskey
02-28-17, 23:31

nightchief
03-01-17, 11:31

Friday 3/24 is starting to look promising...

echo5whiskey
03-01-17, 17:23
Friday 3/24 is starting to look promising...

Any other takers?

nightchief
03-05-17, 11:29
Has anyone else determined if Friday, March 24 is a good date? Hoping this get together will come off...

Robert the Texan, Serious Student, JWKnutson, Leaveammoforme, CPM??? Anyone else that might be interested?

NC

echo5whiskey
03-11-17, 12:09
So it seems that coming up with a date within the month didn't really pan out. Anyone care to plan for something farther in the future--say closer to the back half of the year? Just brainstorming.

Kenneth
03-11-17, 20:04
I think we should plan for May-June. That gives people enough time to prepare and plan time off.

nightchief
03-18-17, 06:24
I think we should plan for May-June. That gives people enough time to prepare and plan time off.

May works as well as any for me, except for May 16-20. I don't have my exact work day schedule yet though, so not sure which weekend/weekdays I have off. If we decide soon, I can probably swap a day.
NC

nightchief
04-16-17, 20:35
Hey all,

Shall we try to organize an outing sometime in the next few weeks before it gets unbearably hot?

NC

Kenneth
04-17-17, 07:40
It would be cool but I have to at LEAST have a few days notice.

nightchief
04-17-17, 20:29
It would be cool but I have to at LEAST have a few days notice.

May 6,7, 8 or May 12,13,14 or May 28 good for anyone?

rjacobs
04-17-17, 20:30
i will have my may schedule early next week and will respond, but I should have at least one of those weekends off.

Kenneth
04-17-17, 23:49
12-14 might work.

Run N Shoot
04-22-17, 08:05
Just checking in to see if anything was formalized in this? I am not trying to invite myself but I am interested in meeting up with some members and trying to learn a thing or two.

nightchief
04-22-17, 14:44
Just checking in to see if anything was formalized in this? I am not trying to invite myself but I am interested in meeting up with some members and trying to learn a thing or two.

Nothing has been formalized yet, but if we can come with a date and location, it will be on the public board here, so you are welcome to join in. The whole point is actually for North Texas shooters (and others if they want to travel) to invite themselves.

Not sure how much you'll learn though, at least from me...

NC

jcalvert86
07-02-17, 21:11
Just moved to the north Dallas area (prosper/frisco) .. ETTS, Lone Star, NTSA still the go to ranges in the area?

Looking for a place that has steel to at least 2-300, allows draw from holster and movement.

500-1k yards, prone rifle etc would be nice bonuses.