PDA

View Full Version : New BCM lower buffer marked "H1"

Animalhd1
02-18-17, 19:52
Just curious does anyone have experience with BCM carbine buffers marked "H1"? This is what came in my new lower. All my BCM "H" buffers are simply marked "H". The lower spec sheet says it comes with a carbine "H" buffer. Lower is " BCM LRG STOCK MOD 0".

Iraqgunz
02-18-17, 20:36
H1=H. Pretty simple.

Animalhd1
02-18-17, 20:48
Thank you. That's what I gathered. Just curious to the marking change. I've ordered 4 in the last year and all were simply H. I had to check length when I got it to make sure it wasn't a A5 type. Just verified its 3.8 oz.

Stickman
02-19-17, 14:54
H1=H. Pretty simple.

Agreed, it stops people from asking stupid questions as to which version "H" buffer they have.

Animalhd1
02-19-17, 15:19
Agreed, it stops people from asking stupid questions as to which version "H" buffer they have.
I guess. To me it seems stupider to change the marking on a H buffer after years of everyone marking them the same. All of a sudden we need H1? I've had ARs since the late 80s and don't have a habit of asking things that I can find the answer to if I look. I've never seen this and wasn't able to find anything about a change on this. I was genuinely appreciative of Iraqgunz response to my question. I asked it here because of the wealth of knowledge and respect I have for the people here. If you'll notice my length of membership here compared to my number of post it should be clear that I don't ask a lot of questions.

Stickman
02-19-17, 15:32
I guess. To me it seems stupider to change the marking on a H buffer after years of everyone marking them the same. All of a sudden we need H1? I've had ARs since the late 80s and don't have a habit of asking things that I can find the answer to if I look. I've never seen this and wasn't able to find anything about a change on this. I was genuinely appreciative of Iraqgunz response to my question. I asked it here because of the wealth of knowledge and respect I have for the people here. If you'll notice my length of membership here compared to my number of post it should be clear that I don't ask a lot of questions.

I didn't get to thinking until later that my reply may be taken as opining that you were who I was accusing of making a stupid comment, but that is far from what I meant. If you read it that way, you have my humble apology. There was no slight intended towards you as a poster. The comment was meant for less than knowledgeable people who open up their carbine, see a H marking, and are confused as to which they have.

The buffer was originally marked with H, because it was a heavier weight than the standard carbine buffer. Once a third (or did 9mm come first) buffer come on scene, there began to be a need to mark the heavier buffers. The larger shock to me is that it took this long to start marking them H1/ H2/ H3 etc etc..

Animalhd1
02-19-17, 15:44
It's cool Stick. Thanks. I actually was just thinking you probably didn't mean that towards me! I usually have a thicker skin. I agree they should have been marked that way all along. Changing that now is gonna probably confuse some people though, especially considering the A5 system and the unlikelihood that all manufacturers will do the same.

BGREID
02-20-17, 09:01
Am I the only one who runs an H3 buffer?

EHilderbrand
02-20-17, 11:23
I just picked up a complete BCM lower last Thursday, I didn't even take note if it said H, or H1. Talk about a quality lower though. ;)

tehpwnag3
02-20-17, 12:07
I have one in a 18" middy.

HeruMew
02-20-17, 12:15
Well, I surely hope that peoples ignorance won't impact costs.

I am not sure if adding the "1" to the machining or Molds would cost anything extra or not.

Either way, sad that it's even an issue though.

ETA:
Yes, I know, the cost of 1 marking on 1 buffer is small, but I am looking at the overhead for companies.

I do suppose though that if it's 1 penny extra to add a 1 to each buffer and avoid multiple calls, varying in costs from 4-10 dollars per call (customer service industry average), per day; they could be saving money.

It all depends, I suppose. Interesting, although mostly moot, food for though.

Animalhd1
02-20-17, 13:20
I don't see this as increasing cost at all. Mine appears to be stamped, not laser etched so it should still be one hit, just a different die.
I do agree on the quality in overall appearance of the lower though. The bevel on the magwell is extra nice.
I will also add that the attention to detail is apparent. The roll pins are perfectly centered, no tool marks etc, etc. BCM obviously takes a lot of care and pride.

Iraqgunz
02-20-17, 14:32
After you deal with more dumb gun owners and a large percentage of AR owners who have very little understanding of the AR, it will make perfect sense.

be1498
02-20-17, 14:43

I ordered an H3 to go with my BCM .300 BLK upper, as per their recommendation. When this crappy NorCal weather clears (or when we're back from evacuation if the valley floods), I'll go shoot it and see how it fares.

Iraqgunz
02-20-17, 15:07
Sure in the correct application. Since we have no idea what he is using it with, it's anyone's guess.

Animalhd1
02-20-17, 16:33
After you deal with more dumb gun owners and a large percentage of AR owners who have very little understanding of the AR, it will make perfect sense.
I get it but I don't plan on being in that situation anytime soon. Maybe some day if I lose my mind and open a LGS in my retirement years. That's why I like this place. I don't mind helping educate people but, if I see one more "sloppy receiver fit" or "Colt vs." thread. It makes sense I guess. Maybe 20 years from now everyone will be using the H1 mark.

Animalhd1
02-20-17, 16:38
Sure in the correct application. Since we have no idea what he is using it with, it's anyone's guess.
14.5" BCM middy. H1 seems good with wolf gold or lake city 5.56 62gr. It's a HD gun.

Stickman
02-20-17, 17:04

Exactly.

Animalhd1
02-20-17, 17:35
Exactly.
Yeh but you guys are lucky. You have jobs doing something you love and are passionate about.
It kinda goes with the territory. Count your blessings. :-).