PDA

View Full Version : edited

Eurodriver
02-19-17, 10:30
edited

williejc
02-19-17, 11:50
No, but consider spending your money in Texas. I have heard that cartel goons and U.S. law enforcement types watch each other with this brand:

larsonelectronics.com/c-318-infrared-led-lights.aspx

wildcard600
02-19-17, 17:13
Not the IR models but a buddy has a Rigid on his FJ cruiser. Its okay but isn't really much brighter than the $60 chi-com knockoff I have on my UTV. For the 600% increase in price it's a joke. Not terribly impressed. YMMV

ace4059
02-23-17, 11:04
I looked at them for my jeep. They seemed overpriced.

Buy surplus military IR lights if you want permanent mounted ones. You will have to change the bulbs to 12 volt. But less than $100 total.

I am using a few cheap Amazon IR flashlights 5w 850nm taped to the stinger on my jeep, and its overly bright. It washes out the rest of the night vision. You only need one 5w light. I would have no problem driving roadway speed with that light.

MSparks909
02-23-17, 14:57
Not the IR models but a buddy has a Rigid on his FJ cruiser. Its okay but isn't really much brighter than the $60 chi-com knockoff I have on my UTV. For the 600% increase in price it's a joke. Not terribly impressed. YMMV

That hasn't been my experience...I've got a 20" E2 hybrid in the lower bumper opening of my F250. It is *STUPID* bright. The throw distance is phenomenal. I can see clearly well over a mile in front of me on a straight road. My buddy bought one of the Chinese knockoff 30" bars on Amazon. It's kind of bright but the reflectors aren't designed very well and don't throw the beam any farther than his actual headlights. It's a slight upgrade over a stock headlight setup but nothing like a Rigid or Baja Designs setup. He gave me shit for buying a $800 light bar...until he rode in my truck with it on. He's a cheap ass but he looked at me and said "I understand now."

You get what you pay for. Why skimp on a light when you don't skimp on rifles, gear, etc. If you can afford it the quality difference is noticeable and worth it.

wildcard600
02-24-17, 18:44
That hasn't been my experience...I've got a 20" E2 hybrid in the lower bumper opening of my F250. It is *STUPID* bright. The throw distance is phenomenal. I can see clearly well over a mile in front of me on a straight road. My buddy bought one of the Chinese knockoff 30" bars on Amazon. It's kind of bright but the reflectors aren't designed very well and don't throw the beam any farther than his actual headlights. It's a slight upgrade over a stock headlight setup but nothing like a Rigid or Baja Designs setup. He gave me shit for buying a $800 light bar...until he rode in my truck with it on. He's a cheap ass but he looked at me and said "I understand now."

You get what you pay for. Why skimp on a light when you don't skimp on rifles, gear, etc. If you can afford it the quality difference is noticeable and worth it.

I personally don't see a 600% increase in performance in my buddies light vs my light. Both are floods so I believe its a valid comparison. His IS brighter no doubt, the anodizing is nicer and the flood beam pattern is more optimal, but not worth $400 for my uses. If I were outfitting an expedition rig to traverse the jungles of Borneo or the remote regions of the Amazon, maybe.

I have no problem paying more for better quality within reason, but the performance needs to be appropriate to the price.

Eurodriver
02-28-17, 22:32
edited

Eurodriver
03-01-17, 16:14
edited

wildcard600
03-01-17, 17:40
I ordered everything today. What I'll be doing is using the Rigid D-Series 4Runner Fog Light bracket to mount Rigid D2 Infrared lights in the OEM Fog Light Position. It's pretty much plug and play, but even the guys at Rigid had never heard of anyone using it in my application before.

One hurdle I had to overcome is that on 4Runners you cannot turn the fog lights on without the headlights being on. This is obviously an issue when running night vision :)

A guy named Antman on another board has already done this, and his instructions were a lifesaver. Essentially you delete the wiring that tells the fog lights they can only turn on if the headlights are on and connect it to an ignition wire. It sounds easy, but you literally have to rewire the entire fog light switch on the switch side (relay, ground, etc)

I'll have to drive for a few days like this until the add-a-circuits come in with the lights, but now that the wiring is out of the way I think the rest of the install will take no more than 1hr. Super excited for this weekend. I'm still a little curious how the 940nm will look under Gen3, but if its terrible I will just return the lights and start over. This is running around $700 so far and I'm not going to be content with mediocre performance for that $$$.

Yikes.

Buddy and I did some night time off back roading at his farm with his NV and we just stuck my home made camera IR light to the hood with duct tape but I don't see why gluing a no-mar magnet to the housing wouldn't work and stick it on the roof.

I built mine with 850nm IR's. It operates on a single 9v battery. Total cost was around $15 and I have enough LED's and battery terminals to build 3-4 more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/wildcard600/2017-03-01%2017.27.30_zpscguj7nqi.jpg

Eurodriver
03-01-17, 18:37
Yikes.

Buddy and I did some night time off back roading at his farm with his NV and we just stuck my home made camera IR light to the hood with duct tape but I don't see why gluing a no-mar magnet to the housing wouldn't work and stick it on the roof.

I built mine with 850nm IR's. It operates on a single 9v battery. Total cost was around $15 and I have enough LED's and battery terminals to build 3-4 more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/wildcard600/2017-03-01%2017.27.30_zpscguj7nqi.jpg

That's actually pretty sick and a good display of ingenuity. Any pics of it in action?

On the other hand, this is M4C where folks proudly display $4500 KAC ACCs. What would a thread such as this be without equal amounts of excessive indulgence?

Renegade
03-01-17, 19:37
Late to thread, but you chose correctly. I have run the D2s on my Hummer and Gator. I can do highway speeds no problem. On my 2500HD I run a full complement of Rigid lights off the fog light switch. It is a simple relay to disconnect to make them independent of the head lights.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/2006HummerH1Alpha/IRLights_zpshfjfhaxi.gif (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/2006HummerH1Alpha/IRLights_zpshfjfhaxi.gif.html)

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/2013JohnDeere855D/IRLights_zpseqevvh8o.gif (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/2013JohnDeere855D/IRLights_zpseqevvh8o.gif.html)

Eurodriver
03-01-17, 19:43
Sweet! First hand info. I appreciate it! Hearing your experiences alleviated all of my concerns about brightness and 940nm. I think the only thing I'm crossing my fingers about at this point is that they are aligned properly upon installation. On the 4Runner you have to remove the entire bumper to aim the fog lights - not something I want to deal with at night under NODs.

Highway speeds? Soooo looking forward to this.

wildcard600
03-01-17, 20:48
That's actually pretty sick and a good display of ingenuity. Any pics of it in action?

On the other hand, this is M4C where folks proudly display $4500 KAC ACCs. What would a thread such as this be without equal amounts of excessive indulgence?

Not under legit night vision. That happened about 7 years ago and trying to get a decent picture through a NOD with the crappy camera we had was not really possible. I would get out the camcorder but there's really no comparison between sony nightshot and real NV.

Eurodriver
03-03-17, 16:10
edited

Eurodriver
03-03-17, 21:33
edited

lahunter57
03-03-17, 21:39
https://youtu.be/Le1zsqV8E1Q

Coolest thing ever.

That's so freaking awesome! I'm definitely jealous.

Post more when you get off-road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
03-04-17, 06:48
I'll do my best to get offroad videos, but its tough. Unless my buddies come I'm stuck with one NVG. Try driving, filming, and being able to see all at the same time with holes and trees everywhere :cool:

VARIABLE9
03-04-17, 06:58
Awesome!

By reading your thread title I thought you meant they were terrible ('bad as fcuk').

Anyone have experience with RIGID IR lights? ETA: They're bad af

Eurodriver
03-04-17, 07:51
Awesome!

By reading your thread title I thought you meant they were terrible ('bad as fcuk').

Anyone have experience with RIGID IR lights? ETA: They're bad af

Haha. Sorry. I meant bad in a good way!

Singlestack Wonder
03-04-17, 09:19
https://youtu.be/Le1zsqV8E1Q

Coolest thing ever.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Eurodriver
03-12-17, 00:14
Rap lyric warning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIAX2JkxkuM

Had a blast tonight.

Wake27
03-12-17, 03:37
Looks awesome. I can't wait to have the money and land to do all of this. We did a ton of night driving last month, cruising with NVGs is pretty gangster and that setup looks solid. The OCs at JRTC have flood lights, we meant to buy some for our trucks before going but just didn't get around to it. Only thing cooler was when I stalked someone wearing NODs...