PDA

View Full Version : What to change?

sharps_74
09-21-08, 09:20
I have an AR15 with a 20 inch barrel. I need to change it out to a 16 inch. I think I need only to change out the Barrel, gas tube and free float tube. Do I also need to change the buffer assembly? Am I missing anything? Would it be better to trade off the upper assembly for one that has the shorter barrel? Thanks folks.

JBnTX
09-21-08, 18:03
... Would it be better to trade off the upper assembly for one that has the shorter barrel? Thanks folks.

I would keep the 20" assembly and buy a complete 16" upper,
that way you'd have both barrel lengths without all the fuss of
changing barrels.

What if in the future you want to go back to a 20" barrel?

sharps_74
09-21-08, 19:07
I already have one with a 20 inch heavy barrel that serves as my target rifle. My reason for the 16 inch bbl is that when I put my suppressor on my deer rifle it becomes about 7,5" longer. Not so bad if I were to hunt from a stand. I hunt on foot or horse back.

Buying a 16" upper isn't an option at the moment. Mainly due to The drop in riding students.

PALADIN-hgwt
09-22-08, 23:28
I already have one with a 20 inch heavy barrel that serves as my target rifle. My reason for the 16 inch bbl is that when I put my suppressor on my deer rifle it becomes about 7,5" longer. Not so bad if I were to hunt from a stand. I hunt on foot or horse back.

Buying a 16" upper isn't an option at the moment. Mainly due to The drop in riding students.

Since you chose to not accept PM's, I'll say this in "public", HORSESHIT on "needing" a carbine with suppressor for hunting.

Paladin

Gramps
09-22-08, 23:38
I put my suppressor on my deer rifle it becomes about 7,5" longer. Not so bad if I were to hunt from a stand. I hunt on foot or horse back.

ARE YOU SAYING IT IS LEGAL IN ARK TO HUNT WITH A SUPPRESSOR?

YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO TRY THAT IN MY STATE! (I WOULDN'T DO THAT ANYWAY)

Robb Jensen
09-23-08, 06:02
Hunting with a supressor is legal is some states.
Here in VA it is 100% legal.
Hunting with SBRs, SBSs and machineguns is illegal here in VA.

If changing out the barrel on your 20" isn't an option money wise you could have the barrel shortened to 16.5" or so and rethreaded. It won't work without the supressor mounted unless you open up the gas port. I would just not do any gas port work and only shoot it supressed.
If you went this route you shouldn't have to go to a heavier buffer.

Failure2Stop
09-23-08, 07:23
Since you chose to not accept PM's, I'll say this in "public", HORSESHIT on "needing" a carbine with suppressor for hunting.

Paladin

How about a different perspective-

The more people that use suppressors and EBRs for hunting the more main-stream the topic becomes, and therefore more "common" in use. This could lead to an easier challenge of existing NFA regulations, permitting more wide-spread use of suppressors.

I can think of several reasons to want a suppressed carbine for hunting purposes, and if it is not in contradiction to state law, why not? I am sure the horses are less affected by the noise, as well as reducing or eliminating the need for hearing protection, which is not terribly comfortable to wear for an entire outing and must be interesting to find for horses.

In many European countries, even the ones with terribly restrictive gun laws, suppressors are not regulated (or minimally so) and encouraged for use to lessen hearing damage at ranges and disturbance to those living around hunting areas. It may be due to the fact that their politicians are less pressured by people that acquire the bulk of their firearms knowledge from bad TV and Movies. Who knows? But I can't see why this would prompt anyone (especially on a gun-loving forum such as here) to not only question someone's motive for hunting with a suppressor, but to actually tell them what they do or do not "need".

Though I gotta admit, I did laugh when I read the reason. Not one you hear every day. Rock on sharps.

sharps_74
09-23-08, 10:39
How about a different perspective-

The more people that use suppressors and EBRs for hunting the more main-stream the topic becomes, and therefore more "common" in use. This could lead to an easier challenge of existing NFA regulations, permitting more wide-spread use of suppressors.

I can think of several reasons to want a suppressed carbine for hunting purposes, and if it is not in contradiction to state law, why not? I am sure the horses are less affected by the noise, as well as reducing or eliminating the need for hearing protection, which is not terribly comfortable to wear for an entire outing and must be interesting to find for horses.

In many European countries, even the ones with terribly restrictive gun laws, suppressors are not regulated (or minimally so) and encouraged for use to lessen hearing damage at ranges and disturbance to those living around hunting areas. It may be due to the fact that their politicians are less pressured by people that acquire the bulk of their firearms knowledge from bad TV and Movies. Who knows? But I can't see why this would prompt anyone (especially on a gun-loving forum such as here) to not only question someone's motive for hunting with a suppressor, but to actually tell them what they do or do not "need".

Though I gotta admit, I did laugh when I read the reason. Not one you hear every day. Rock on sharps.

Seeems like you understand perfectly where I'm coming from. For the last two years I have missed the opportunity to take deer simply because I couldn't hear them. I did some research and found that in this state a person could hunt with a suppressed weapon if they were so inclined. My horse suffered abuse at the hands of a moron before I had gotten her. The dude threw rocks and firecrackers at her and made her gun shy. Needless to say, the suppressor fits the bill for both of us.

You are right about the earplugs. Finding earplugs to fit a horse is hard. Getting her to wear them from before dawn until after dusk when I know how uncomfortable they are, is not an option. Thanks for your understanding.

Jay Cunningham
09-23-08, 10:41
I do not hunt (simply because I was raised in suburbia) but I personally think that suppressors for hunting rifles make 100% perfect sense.

The view of suppressors in this country is topsy-turvy; weirdly the Europeans seem to have the proper view of suppressors.

rob_s
09-23-08, 10:56
In Florida we're not allowed to hunt suppressed, but we are allowed to control vermin in private property (AKA "hunt hogs") suppressed.

One of the things on my list is a 6.8 SBR upper for use, unsuppressed, on deer and, suppressed, on hogs.

markm
09-23-08, 11:20
weirdly the Europeans seem to have the proper view of suppressors.

That's because there's no Ozarks in Europe. ;)