PDA

View Full Version : SA for first 1911?

SuicideHz
10-18-06, 14:54
I carry a G32, have a suppressed 92fs and now I think I need a 1911...

I'd stake my life on my G32 and the Beretta is for nothing but fun- well, home defense because it won't wake everyone up at night ;)

But I now want something "pretty" and classy looking.

I'm thinking the Springfield Armory PX9109L is a good place to start:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9109LLarge.jpg

I see the parkerized ones for sale for around $550-$600.

I don't know much about these pistols so the features I'm looking for are pretty much cosmetic only. The things I like about this particular model and level of pistol are the front slide serrations, the type of sights, the nice shiny barrel and chamber, the ambi-safety (because the right side looks 'nekkid' w/o it,) and I think I like the flat mainspring housing.

I would like a shiny bushing and I'm not too fond of the trigger but it's fine. The beavertail is also a little extreme in my opinion. I'd like to see checkering on the frontstrap but a piece of stairstep tape would do just fine in my opinion. I have the Eric Wellington grips on my Glock and they feel almost "soft" to me...

I might eventually like a magwell for the pistol and I'd like mags with bumpers but that is an easy fix.

I really like it's sister in SS:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9151LLarge.jpg

How hard is it to get a magwell that fits correctly and install it myself? What's the price on something like that?

Nitrox
10-18-06, 19:45
You should take a look at S&W if you want a decent inexpensive 1911.

Springfield treated me like shit when I had a problem so they are last in line...

rob_s
10-18-06, 20:03
I'd vote for a used Kimber Series I. I got mine for $500 at the local funshow a couple of years ago. I've since sold it, but it worked great for me.

My biggest issue with the Springfields is that they don't high-cut the front strap. See how the part where the triggerguard and the front strap meet is rounded off? It means you can't get your hand up as high. A higher grip = easier to manage recoil.

SuicideHz
10-18-06, 20:09
It would be better if it was cut straight-in?

I'm thinking a new gun would keep me away from some POS someone is trying to unload because he fiddle-f#$ked with it and it no longer works properly. I don't need a WECSOG 1911.

jmart
10-18-06, 20:17
That's a Springfield Loaded model. Normally I see those for $800+.

Here's a MIL-SPEC model. (PB9108) These I see for $550-600. Are you sure you're posting the right model? If so, if you don't mind me asking, where do you see "Loadeds" for that price?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PB9108LLarge.jpg

rob_s
10-18-06, 21:14
It would be better if it was cut straight-in?

I'm thinking a new gun would keep me away from some POS someone is trying to unload because he fiddle-f#$ked with it and it no longer works properly. I don't need a WECSOG 1911.
Stay away from interweb commados selling them and you'll be fine. "Tinkering" is much less common than many would have you believe.

I find the grip better when it's done like a kimber.
http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976401057-1.jpg

bigbore
10-18-06, 21:36

Agree completely.

K.L. Davis
10-18-06, 21:51
Agree completely.

+1

I always wanted to do that :p

Relief cutting the front strap is very easy... just measure twice and cut once, our you can cut into the mag catch hole -- trust me on this :o

That is if you are doing "radiused" reliefs like the Colt "E" -- I like the feel of them.
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9774/020305cge2cp0.jpg

I didn't know SA used two piece barrels :confused:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9151LLarge.jpg

SuicideHz
10-18-06, 22:10
Rob- the Kimber looks just like the SA posted above it WRT the frontstrap/triggerguard intersection.

jmart- I found the Park'd SA with a very low round count at just around $600. Not exactly new but seemed to be totally untouched- grips hadn't even been buggered with. I like the pistol you posted but the sights I don't care for at all. I would like to be able to change them out to something nicer if I don't start with something decent. I just recently got a set of Warren Tactical Carry sights for my Glock and I love them- black rear and Trijicon front. One of you guys told me Trijis were as bright as Mepros and as soon as I found out who that was, I'm gonna yell at him! :D

Rob- is that the kimber you got for $500 and resold? I like it...

SuicideHz
10-18-06, 22:10
KL- I like that relief cut. Did that to my Glock to a certain extent but it's a lot easier on a Glock!

K.L. Davis
10-18-06, 22:22
KL- I like that relief cut. Did that to my Glock to a certain extent but it's a lot easier on a Glock!

Its one op on a mill... really easy, just keep in mind that there is hollow just behind that radius! If you cut through, it is a bit of a mess to weld up :eek:

Nitrox
10-18-06, 23:18
Have you considered a Nighthawk or a nice custom?

SuicideHz
10-18-06, 23:23
you know me better than that...

rob_s
10-19-06, 04:20
Rob- the Kimber looks just like the SA posted above it WRT the frontstrap/triggerguard intersection.

Its actually not even close. You'd have to see them in person to understand. I tried to find a decent picture that showed it but I couldn't.

bullitt5172
10-20-06, 10:50

Springfield treated me like shit when I had a problem so they are last in line...

I wouldn't disagree, but I feel the SA is still a better choice. S&W's are nice but have too many unwanted features (for me at least) external extracters, firing pin safeties, goofy safety warnings printed on the frame itself and such. At least with the SA ILS lockout, the mainspring can be replaced and you have a 1911 the way it should be.

Springfields are great mid range 1911's. They are known for good custom service, one bad instance is no reason to blow them off. I've owned quite a few SA's and have never had to use the CS, hell I've owned nearly every make and model out there and the SA's are near the top. If it were me, I would buy a series 70 Colt repro and leave it alone. I see used WWI repros in the classifieds for around $850, great deal on a 1911 without all the do dats thrown on.

VA_Dinger
10-21-06, 10:40
I've always considered the PX9109L to be one of the best deals on the market for a decent 1911.

It has many options your not going to find on many (If any) 5" 1911's in this price range.

(1.) Real Novak night sights
(2.) Real beavertail grip safety w/memory pad
(3.) Ambi safety

Plus it has a quality frame & slide so it's a good choice for upgrading later with some custom work.