PDA

View Full Version : removing tight fit barrel

tb-av
02-20-17, 10:19
I have a BCM blem upper receiver and want to do some test fitting. The barrel I have gets pretty tight about 1/2 way in. As did a different barrel by a different manufacturer.

I understand BMC recommends to tap the barrel in with a rubber mallet if need be. But my question is, how exactly do you -remove- a barrel, especially not a worn one where you wouldn't care if it got damaged or not.

It seems like it would be impossible to just pull out. Can you just use a big wooden dowel? Is there anything you specifically don't want to do.

I'm 99% certain I can just install this and will leave it but would like to know the best way to remove one safely.

TB

Wayne Dobbs
02-20-17, 10:37
I have a BCM blem upper receiver and want to do some test fitting. The barrel I have gets pretty tight about 1/2 way in. As did a different barrel by a different manufacturer.

I understand BMC recommends to tap the barrel in with a rubber mallet if need be. But my question is, how exactly do you -remove- a barrel, especially not a worn one where you wouldn't care if it got damaged or not.

It seems like it would be impossible to just pull out. Can you just use a big wooden dowel? Is there anything you specifically don't want to do.

I'm 99% certain I can just install this and will leave it but would like to know the best way to remove one safely.

TB

Wooden or Delrin dowel tapped on barrel extension from the rear.

pyrotechnic
02-20-17, 11:07
You can throw the upper in your oven at 200 degrees for a bit. The aluminum will expand more than the steel making removal a bit easier.

elephantrider
02-20-17, 11:12
Heat gun (or hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun). Heat the area of the receiver where the barrel extension sits. It might take a few minutes, but eventually you will be able to pull the barrel out with little to no resistance. The BCM M4 uppers are intentionally tight and typically need to be heated to get the barrel extension in or out.

sig1473
02-20-17, 13:34
I used a wooden dowel rod on a BCM upper like suggested above. A couple good whacks and you're there.

tb-av
02-20-17, 15:30
Fantastic, thanks. Never thought about the heat. Glad to know it's ok to use the dowel treatment.

Iraqgunz
02-20-17, 17:16
I use a Reaction Rod and it makes it an easy task.

Stickman
02-20-17, 19:24
Lacking the "proper" tool for this, I take a screw driver with a polymer handle which fits into the upper receiver, lock the receiver in a vise, and tap it out. For some strange reason I have a screw driver with a handle that fits perfectly for this task.

I'll add, I would rather have a tight fit, than a loose one with the barrel to receiver engagement.

tarkeg
02-20-17, 22:42
What about securing the barrel in barrel blocks, in a vice. Then gently tapping the receiver with a rubber mallet?

polydeuces
02-21-17, 01:20
What about securing the barrel in barrel blocks, in a vice. Then gently tapping the receiver with a rubber mallet?

Thats how youve actually done it?'sounds bit horse backwards in front of carriage to me, really. Too many things not right.

tarkeg
02-21-17, 18:22
Thats how youve actually done it?'sounds bit horse backwards in front of carriage to me, really. Too many things not right.

Yes, I have done it that way. Way back before I had other means of securing the receiver. Nothing "not right about it" at all, in fact it worked fine. I'm not saying it's the best way, just "a" way.

556BlackRifle
02-21-17, 19:32

Install it vertical using a Reaction rod, wrap a shop towel around the rod and gently tap on the upper receiver with a rubber mallet at the 1913 rail and pivot and it should come right off and land on the shop towel. (preventing the upper from smacking into the vice and being damaged.)

trackmagic
02-27-17, 15:51
You can throw the upper in your oven at 200 degrees for a bit. The aluminum will expand more than the steel making removal a bit easier.

This, BCM uppers are undersized and I did this once and it worked great!

jaytothekizzay
02-28-17, 19:18
I use bcm uppers on my builds. Always use a hair dryer. Works EVERYTIME!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

polydeuces
03-08-17, 08:56
This weekend swapped a larue barrel fron a VLTOR to a Noveske upper.
I found cursing, long emphatic strings of vile words to be most effective.
That and just pound the living crap out of it after heating it.

fedupflyer
03-08-17, 09:30
This, BCM uppers are undersized and I did this once and it worked great!

Did BCM mate the barrel to the upper with green loctite?
I have heard they do but I am not sporting enough to remove on of my barrels just to find out.

tb-av
03-08-17, 12:23
This weekend swapped a larue barrel fron a VLTOR to a Noveske upper.
I found cursing, long emphatic strings of vile words to be most effective.
That and just pound the living crap out of it after heating it.

Man, that sounds like my weekend. I decided to move a BCM sling mount. I actually installed it and used blue Locktite on it. Holy cow! First I did something stupid. It was late and I wasn't paying attention and used the wrong size wrench... "wow, this thing is really tig.... crack!' broke the wrench off. Luckily it fell out.

So I get a ball end driver which again it was late and I didn't realize what I was doing.... It was also a cheap wrench from HF. Snapped that sucker off and it stuck.

So now I get the actual BCM wrench and try the other screw... "Holy cow, this one is really ti.... crack!" Broke that sucker off too. Again it fell right out.

Finally I figured if I took the short bit from a torque wrench set ( the hard gray ones ) and grabbed it with a large pair of fencing pliers it would turn the screw out. Tried heating with soldering iron to no avail prior.

So now I'm down to the stuck ball head inside the other screw. Bent the point of a punch trying to unwedge it a bit.

It's drill time!!!

I -thought- maybe I'll get lucky and the broken piece will drill or vibrate loose. Not sure why I thought I would get lucky that way.

Final result.... I have a 1/2 of a BCM sling mount as a reminder. I'm glad it was a sub $20 item. I never could get the screw all the way out. Reason finally hit me as I basically screwed up everything I touched so I got concerned about something else going wrong and drilling the rail. Luckily a tap with a wood block freed it up enough to remove.

I'm thinking those things don't need licktite. Although if you are sure you don't want it to move it sure stays put.

elephantrider
03-08-17, 15:18
I'm thinking those things don't need licktite. Although if you are sure you don't want it to move it sure stays put.

Purple Loctite is your friend.

trackmagic
03-08-17, 15:57
I have heard they do but I am not sporting enough to remove on of my barrels just to find out.

It was only a BCM upper reciever. Not an entire upper. I don't know if they use green loctite, but I doubt it would do anything since the press fit beds the barrel better than loctite would.

The heat should soften the loctite as well though if they did use it.

Watrdawg
03-08-17, 15:59
Lacking the "proper" tool for this, I take a screw driver with a polymer handle which fits into the upper receiver, lock the receiver in a vise, and tap it out. For some strange reason I have a screw driver with a handle that fits perfectly for this task.

I'll add, I would rather have a tight fit, than a loose one with the barrel to receiver engagement.

Hmmm. I just put together a 300 Blackout and now you have me worried. I was using a BCM upper receiver and a Noveske 14.5" barrel. I had always heard that BCM upper receivers were tight but when I installed the Noveske barrel it slid in no problem. It wasn't loose as in rattling around but it wasn't tight by any means.

polydeuces
03-10-17, 19:43
Hmmm. I just put together a 300 Blackout and now you have me worried. I was using a BCM upper receiver and a Noveske 14.5" barrel. I had always heard that BCM upper receivers were tight but when I installed the Noveske barrel it slid in no problem. It wasn't loose as in rattling around but it wasn't tight by any means.

Absolutely no worries-its the norm-
Frankly the case with most uppers/barrels in my experience, with some bit tighter than others.
With that said, BCM uppers are indeed consistently tight where heating up the receiver is needed for install.
Full disclosure; based on a sample of 2.

Iraqgunz
03-10-17, 20:58
I don't know where you heard that, but it's complete BS.