PDA

View Full Version : Which optics should I pick?

T-TAC
09-21-08, 14:22
I recently bought another M-4. This is a custom build witha 14.5' barrel with a Yankee Hill hider and a A.R.M.S. rail system with the top rib swan sleeve.
I have two Aimpoints and one Eotech. I was thinking about a ACOG.
The longest distance I shoot at is 100 yards and standard Dot sights work fine with no Magnification for me.
The down side to the ACOG is that they have to go back to the factory for new tritium after about 10 years.
I noticed that Eotech has a kit with the dot sight and a magnafier. This looks good as you have a dot and 4x Magnification.
Out of the three the Aimpoints are my favorite as I feel they give the most bang for the buck
What do you think and what would be a good quick release mount to go with it?

IroquoisSnakePlissken
09-21-08, 15:07
I'm not sure I fully understand whether you're looking to buy an all new optic, or use one of your existing sights to handle the task.

If you're going with one of the existing, I'd go for the EOTech on your shorty.

If you're getting a new RDS, I'd go with the Aimpoint T-1.

Bobro is working on a mount for the T-1:

"We are getting flooded with T1-Micro requests, so I am working weekends to get the interface going.

I have quite a few design options, and as soon as one wins out, I will get a machine going in the prototype room (S-93).

I stated in an e-mail request that my timeline was 4-5 weeks, now I have to put my money where my mouth is...............

Andrew Bobro-"

Best regards. I'm sure some of the more low-drag cats around here can answer this query better, but I'll throw my change at ya'.

FJB
09-21-08, 20:40
I recently bought another M-4. This is a custom build witha 14.5' barrel with a Yankee Hill hider and a A.R.M.S. rail system with the top rib swan sleeve.
I have two Aimpoints and one Eotech. I was thinking about a ACOG.
The longest distance I shoot at is 100 yards and standard Dot sights work fine with no Magnification for me.
The down side to the ACOG is that they have to go back to the factory for new tritium after about 10 years.
I noticed that Eotech has a kit with the dot sight and a magnafier. This looks good as you have a dot and 4x Magnification.
Out of the three the Aimpoints are my favorite as I feel they give the most bang for the buck
What do you think and what would be a good quick release mount to go with it?

A good search of this optics discussion forum here will provide lots of good info. For more infor on Aimpoint sights watch www.downrange.tv/show2

S/F

Battl3fr0nt
09-22-08, 05:26
If the longest range you shoot is only 100 yards then what range is your normal shooting range? if it is under 25 yards then just stick with your red dots but if you are going to be shooting 50-100 then the ACOG will be alot of fun. I shoot out to 400M and my ACOG really comes in to play at 25M.. But yeah if you pretty much just shoot at 100 yards or you ment that is the longest you shoot and your normal shooting is around 25 yards then red dots will be fine.. it sounds like you have good eyes so even at 50 yards the red dot will be good for you.. but still not like a ACOG.. I would say since you already have so much red dots try the ACOG.. like I said its alot of fun learning to use and you will start shooting father out for sure with it..

But yeah at about 10 years you will want to send the ACOG in it only takes them a while and they will have it back to you. they say they charge $200 or somthing but all my friends got it done for free.. Alost everyone I have talked to has had it done for free so Im sure it will be done for free or for about 50 bucks.. just pay for the shipping kinda deal.. The people over at Trijicon are really good people to deal with..

T-TAC
10-05-08, 09:57
I ended up going with the Aimpoint ML3 with 2 MOA dot. The A.R.M.s quick throw mount cowitnesses perfect with the swan sleeve under it.
It just looks "Right" with the rest of the gun.