PDA

View Full Version : POF handguard? Anyone have experience with them?

a1fabweld
09-21-08, 14:46
Hello. This is my 1st post here. This site is AMAZING!! Just reading up on some old threads including the sticky AR technical info thread has cleared up alot of questions that have been lingering for me. Anyway, I'm definately an AR rookie but I have done quite a bit of research on stuff that pertains to my AR type guns. My first build which is my favorite is a CMMG 16" medcon midlength flattop with a Troy MRF 13.5" rail, & YHM rail mounted flip sights. Recently, the Troy handguard loosened up on me & threw my front sight off. I have always been very careful with this rifle & don't have very many rounds through it. I now have doubts about the clamp on style rails (MI,Troy,Samson,etc..). I know Daniel defense rails are more solid in their design, but I also like the idea of the POF handguard which piggybacks on top of the receiver rail to create a 1 piece upper rail. It seems very stout although I have never seen one in person or have any experience with them. Any thoughts on the POF rail? Thanks!!

Stickman
09-21-08, 17:07
Some people feel its a little heavy and wide, but its a solid rail from what I've seen in my use.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/American%20Defense%20MFG/IMG_7258%201028%20WEVO%20Stick.jpg

MisterWilson
09-21-08, 17:12
I've always wondered how they attach. They always looked to be a seamless part of the upper receiver.

PPGMD
09-21-08, 17:24
I agree with Stick, very well belt, but a little wide, but they are designed for their oversized barrel nut, and to accommodate the POF piston system's gas block. Note that attachments without a full length recoil lug/cross bar (like LaRure mounts) will not work on the side, nor the bottom rail. They use a rail on those that is similar to the ARMs weaver stuff, so it doesn't have a middle section.

Misterwilson,
Mine attaches at the barrel nut, but it also slips over the flat top of the upper.

There are 4 screws on the top, two at the barrel nut, and 2 at the rear site. There is screw on each of the sides left and right at the barrel nut.

JWNathan
09-21-08, 23:40
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor-CASV-M-Mid-Length-Handguard-p/casv-%20m%20%20black.htm

What about these Vltor CASV? They also piggyback off the upper, and look pretty damn cool too!
-Jesse

a1fabweld
09-22-08, 00:04
Ok, I think I'm going to ditch the POF rail idea due to the mediocre feedback & run with a Daniel Defense 12" lite rail. I know they are solid by design & have never heard any negative feedback about them. The mounting seems more rigid than any of the clamp on style FF handguards. Thanks fellas for your insight! Also, maybe I just can't shoot an AR for squat, but I seem to shoot my CMMG with the loooong handguard (long sight radius, sight & end of 13.5" rail) much more accurately than my other CMMG with a mid length standard front sight base in a midlength location. Should the 2" longer sight radius make a substantial difference in accuracy to a novice shooter? Thanks again!