PDA

View Full Version : How small could you get and still build a platform that could fire 30x173mm?

BallisticHarmony
02-23-17, 13:19
As I look at my once-fired GAU-8 round sitting on my desk, I started wondering how large of a cannon you'd actually need to contain such an explosion. Obviously an autocannon that's larger than a car and slight reduces the speed of an A-10 simply isn't practical. However....

If it was a single shot weapon, that would remove a lot of variables including:

1. Ammunition storage
2. Multiple Barrels
3. Power source
4. Spent casing retention

I assume that if you had a stable enough tripod and a capable muzzle brake, you could essentially fire any caliber. How much energy would be transferred in the form of recoil, how enormous would the muzzle blast be, and how many rounds could you fire before the entire system collapsed in on itself? What materials would this cannon need to be built with?

In case you didn't pick up on it, this is purely hypothetical and not intended to be taken seriously. Just posing a question for the forum.

daniel87
02-23-17, 13:26
Look into the history of the recoilless rifle.

Thread solved :)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

MegademiC
02-23-17, 21:16
Light, small, and durable, pick 2.

BallisticHarmony
02-23-17, 21:17
Small and durable

Thump_rrr
02-25-17, 00:25
If large artillery interests you read the story of Gerald Bull.
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/08/26/magazine/the-man-behind-iraq-s-supergun.html?pagewanted=all

Bimmer
02-27-17, 00:03
That 30mm shell isn't radically bigger than a .50BMG cartridge (12.7x99mm).

So, the action should only need to be 74mm longer (less than 3"). The rest depends on what you need for barrel length.

Barrett makes .M82s with 20" barrels, so I dunno why you couldn't make a handheld/shoulder-fired 30x173...