PDA

View Full Version : bulk plinking velocity

praythenspray
02-23-17, 15:02
I have finally gotten around to loading up some plinking ammo so I can get some trigger time in with my rifle and improve my offhand shooting.

I pulled out an old chronograph I had lying around and was reading a little over 2800 FPS on my 5 shot string. The load is - 62 grain Privi FMJ bullets, 24 grains of Benchmark and CCI small rifle primers. Barrel is a Daniel Defense 16" with A2 flash hider.

A set velocity isn't a concern as I just wanted a 2-4 MOA plinking round I can load up on the cheap. I am just curious what( if you ever bothered to chrony) velocities yall are getting out of your plinking/training loads?

markm
02-23-17, 17:06
Most of the time, when I load up some 62 gr slingin ammo, I'll take a hot 77 load, and simple sub the 62 bullet so I know I'm getting a < 5.56mm pressure load. I don't often chrono blaster ammo. I have some data, but I don't always refer to it.

bfk4lyfe
02-23-17, 21:00
I don't roll my own, but FWIW the internet says most 55 gr bulk stuff hovers at 3k FPS out of a 16".

I was literally reading this page before I fired up the forums: https://www.ocabj.net/55gr-5-56-nato-and-223-remington-ammunition-comparison/

ww2farmer
02-23-17, 23:00
My plinking load is a 55 grain Hornady FMJ over 25 grains of BL-C(2), seated to the cannalure, with mixed brass, and mixed brands of small rifle primers (usually CCI 400's or WSR).

I don't have a chronograph, but my buddy does, so I loaded up my rifles one afternoon and headed over to his place for some testing.

Going off memory, as my notes are not handy as I type, these loads averaged about 2750 FPS out of my 16" barreled carbines, and about 2900 FPS out of his 20" rifle.

They function 100%, locking back on the last round with regular carbine buffers.

Accuracy is good for plinking/training ammo. On average right around 2-2.25 MOA at 100 yards through all my carbines off a bench with just red dot sights. Plenty good enough for blasting ammo, and better than some store bought stuff. I do notice a difference when shooting these and 5.56 powered factory loads, but they feel quite a bit like PMC bronze, or some other lower powered factory 223 stuff.

vicious_cb
02-24-17, 05:14
I see no need to chase velocity with basting ammo. It causes more barrel wear and kills your steel targets faster.