PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Future. PFVs Personal Flying Vehicles

Outlander Systems
02-23-17, 17:03
God. Damned. Right.

2017. Where hover bikes are now a thing.

https://youtu.be/odVFa_3lmiM

jpmuscle
02-23-17, 17:25
Well, it's certainly a start. Bout damn time.

Firefly
02-23-17, 17:36
Interesting.

Now give me my laser rifle, my jet pack, and my flying car

hotrodder636
02-23-17, 17:41
Once they get the kinks worked out, etc...I WANT ONE!!

Looks like a spin off of the personal drone-coptors I have seen.

SteyrAUG
02-23-17, 17:48
It's what everyone wants until you have douchetards one them lane splitting, cutting you off in traffic by dropping right in front of you and texting the entire time.

Not to mention the 15 year old redneck kids zipping them down your street at all hours of the night.

hotrodder636
02-23-17, 17:56
We get all of that withou this kind of technology. Good point, why give the NTACs more to screw with...I already have a jackass neighbor ride their quads and Razr through my cul de sac...in the burbs.

It's what everyone wants until you have douchetards one them lane splitting, cutting you off in traffic by dropping right in front of you and texting the entire time.

Not to mention the 15 year old redneck kids zipping them down your street at all hours of the night.

Joelski
02-23-17, 18:14
One man's cool is another man's gun range noise.

Jer
02-23-17, 18:19

What are you doing posting here when I'm sure there are some kids on your lawn right now that need yelled at? ;-)

Firefly
02-23-17, 18:55
What are you doing posting here when I'm sure there are some kids on your lawn right now that need yelled at? ;-)

I say this with love and humour:

I got a mental image of Steyr on his porch with an MP5A3 and two mags clamped together snarling "Get off my lawn!".

And it was amusing.

SteyrAUG
02-23-17, 19:25

Not anymore. Not for awhile now...

Kain
02-23-17, 19:39
If these Hoverbikes go mainstream how long do you want to bet it takes before somebody takes out the power to a small city because they clothesline themselves with a power line?

My that is ominous. Why is it that I am getting the feeling that a bunch of kids from the neighborhood Steyr lives in ended up on the back of milk cartons?

Honu
02-23-17, 20:45
I am waiting to see how many fall off into the blades :)

mkmckinley
02-23-17, 22:08

Hehe I remember that story.

Pilot1
02-23-17, 22:56
No, nope, NADA. Propellers? Really??? No anti matter, no anti gravity? No Di-lithium crystals? Call me when it gets real. Very nostalgic though, in a 1930's Gyrocopter kind of way.

INNOVATE LOSERS!

caporider
02-24-17, 07:43
No, nope, NADA. Propellers? Really??? No anti matter, no anti gravity? No Di-lithium crystals? Call me when it gets real. Very nostalgic though, in a 1930's Gyrocopter kind of way.

INNOVATE LOSERS!

I'm guessing the innovation is in sensors, gyros, CPU and GPS so stability and steering are greatly simplified for an inexperienced rider. The mechanicals are old, but the "get you home safely even though you're a useless pilot" stuff is pretty new.

And yeah, they need to cover those wood chippers with ducts...

Big A
02-24-17, 09:27
So will those of us remaining on the ground, will we still be cagers or will we be called grounders?

jmp45
02-24-17, 10:13

INNOVATE LOSERS!

What would be the run time on those nicads, like 15 minutes .. ;) ? I like BMW's pipe dream.

http://www.visordown.com/sites/default/files/field/image/BMW%20LEGO%20Technic%20R1200GS%20Hover%20Ride%20Design%20Concept_1.jpg

Eurodriver
02-24-17, 11:01
So will those of us remaining on the ground, will we still be cagers or will we be called grounders?
I lolled

Eurodriver
02-24-17, 11:06
I'm guessing the innovation is in sensors, gyros, CPU and GPS so stability and steering are greatly simplified for an inexperienced rider. The mechanicals are old, but the "get you home safely even though you're a useless pilot" stuff is pretty new.

And yeah, they need to cover those wood chippers with ducts...

For sure man 100%

murphman
02-24-17, 12:15
I would have to agree with Pilot1, 1930's nostalgia at best. If I was told I would be able to attend a private live unveiling of this prototype. Then upon the unveiling of said prototype some guy gets 6 feet of air and moves at a jogging pace then lands and throws his fist in the air as if he won the Ironman. I would follow up his demonstration with a swift kick to everyone's dick that wasted my time inviting me to this unveil.

I know it is apples to oranges but the Flyboard developed by Franky Zapata in my opinion blows this thing away.

Outlander Systems
02-24-17, 12:48
This thread sure as hell reveals who the old fuddy duds are around here...

Bulletdog
02-24-17, 13:06
...I would follow up his demonstration with a swift kick to everyone's dick that wasted my time inviting me to this unveil.

I just wanna watch and see what the third guy in line does after watching you kick the first two...

murphman
02-24-17, 13:13
Probably let out one of those big poor me sighs then brace for what is to come.

Outlander Systems
02-24-17, 17:20
Just for all you nay-saying haters. Yamaha's electric motorcycles have been, "coming soon" for four years now, meanwhile some Vodka swilling, guitar-shredding Russkies built a motorcycle that ****ing flies.

Yamaha PES2, the TAPS Switch of motorcycles...

Outlander Systems
02-24-17, 17:27
MOAR 2017 Awesomeness:

https://youtu.be/F8shiw6zY_A

Ehang 184 Passenger Drone flight test.

Eurodriver
02-24-17, 17:43
This thread sure as hell reveals who the old fuddy duds are around here...

That ain't no lie.

What a bunch of grumpy old losers.

26 Inf
02-24-17, 17:47
MOAR 2017 Awesomeness: Ehang 184 Passenger Drone flight test.

You would have to be a simple shit to get on one of those.

The only thing that gets me on a plane without a parachute is the fact that the pilot is gonna die with me if he fvcks up.

'Drone copter passenger' has just supplanted 'crotch rocket girl' on my list of the stupidest people alive.

Bubba FAL
02-24-17, 17:49
Great, so we get to deal with inattentive idiots in three dimensions now.

26 Inf
02-24-17, 17:53

I guess that just depends on your definition of loser.

If we were to vote I be more inclined to label those who ask internet 'buddies' for help with life/job decisions as losers.

But that is just me, reliving the 80's.

Eurodriver
02-24-17, 18:06
I guess that just depends on your definition of loser.

If we were to vote I be more inclined to label those who ask internet 'buddies' for help with life/job decisions as losers.

But that is just me, reliving the 80's.

OHHHHHHHHH 26INF got jokes.

My friend is definitely a loser. But he wanted me to ask and I'm a good friend.

ETA why do you end every post with reliving the 80s and why didn't you answer my email or my PM regarding your misrepresented post about me?

You used to be cool. But then you took something to heart. What was it?

Some CPA messed up your lawn?

SteyrAUG
02-24-17, 18:14
That ain't no lie.

So just curious. How do you feel about being in traffic with some "is this one the brake?" 97 year old blue hair who is above you in traffic with no less than FOUR fatal flying guillotines running and a left blinker that has been flashing for the last 7 miles.

Firefly
02-24-17, 18:15
Must everything end in a knife fight these days?

FWIW, I think flying machines are cool but with every new tech comes responsibility. I wouldn't be averse to having like a motorcycle license for flying vehicles that aren't as expensive and in depth as a pilots license so us common folk can enjoy a taste of flight.

I've wanted a flying car ever since I saw BTTF. And a Pulse Rifle since I saw Aliens.

Firefly
02-24-17, 18:16
So just curious. How do you feel about being in traffic with some "is this one the brake?" 97 year old blue hair who is above you in traffic with no less than FOUR fatal flying guillotines running and a left blinker that has been flashing for the last 7 miles.

To be fair, I dont see many old ladies wanting to be Amelia Earhart of the Highway

SteyrAUG
02-24-17, 18:16
I would have to agree with Pilot1, 1930's nostalgia at best. If I was told I would be able to attend a private live unveiling of this prototype. Then upon the unveiling of said prototype some guy gets 6 feet of air and moves at a jogging pace then lands and throws his fist in the air as if he won the Ironman. I would follow up his demonstration with a swift kick to everyone's dick that wasted my time inviting me to this unveil.

I know it is apples to oranges but the Flyboard developed by Franky Zapata in my opinion blows this thing away.

No kidding. I'd rather adapt Harrier technology, at least then every morning I could blow the leaves out of my yard during take off.

Outlander Systems
02-24-17, 18:21
Before all the old farts flip their shit...

...the EHANG 184 is only capable of operating autonomously. So, there's that.

SteyrAUG
02-24-17, 18:24
To be fair, I dont see many old ladies wanting to be Amelia Earhart of the Highway

You are NOT in FL. Plenty of people in their 60s and 70s desperately trying to hang on to their 20s.

I have seen people over 70 with:

tattoos on their hands or chest.
piercings in locations other than the ear.
pink, blue and yellow hair
affliction shirts
actually discussing reality TV shows aimed at teens in order to catch each other up
in traffic trying to figure out their new corvette, ferrari or similar car
trying to successfully use a skateboard (seen this so many times I'm still amazed)

Rest assured if this came to market, there would be no shortage of "over 70" customers who are indifferent at this point to what they look like or what kind of risk they pose to others around them. They really are like children and just assume if it's made, then it must be made for them.

SteyrAUG
02-24-17, 18:27
Before all the old farts flip their shit...

...the EHANG 184 is only capable of operating autonomously. So, there's that.

So that is what will be delivering Domino's pizzas twenty years from now.

Eurodriver
02-24-17, 18:28

I hear what you're saying. 100%. No sarcasm.

BUT IT FLIES.

I've risked way worse for way less!!

Firefly
02-24-17, 18:33
You are NOT in FL. Plenty of people in their 60s and 70s desperately trying to hang on to their 20s.

I have seen people over 70 with:

tattoos on their hands or chest.
piercings in locations other than the ear.
pink, blue and yellow hair
affliction shirts
actually discussing reality TV shows aimed at teens in order to catch each other up
in traffic trying to figure out their new corvette, ferrari or similar car
trying to successfully use a skateboard (seen this so many times I'm still amazed)

Rest assured if this came to market, there would be no shortage of "over 70" customers who are indifferent at this point to what they look like or what kind of risk they pose to others around them. They really are like children and just assume if it's made, then it must be made for them.

Well, you got me there. I was applying average values to Florida.

I dont wish to go in OT land but I was at the Redneck Riviera once and got approached by a snaggletoothed 40 yo and her mom both saying that they were oft confused with sisters.

I'm sure the war stories their pants could tell would rival Khe Sanh, Dak To, and Tarawa combined

SteyrAUG
02-24-17, 19:01
I hear what you're saying. 100%. No sarcasm.

BUT IT FLIES.

I've risked way worse for way less!!

I understand the dream. Like Fly I've been patiently waiting for my flying car. But this technology isn't it, more importantly something like 3% of the population would be able to competently operate it and that isn't good if it's mass distributed.

How many times has some pickup truck jacked 10 feet in the air almost taken you out on a bike and never even saw you? Do you really want that to become a 360 degree area of awareness you need to watch at all times?

Outlander Systems
02-24-17, 20:21
Bro. Bro bro bro.

The AAV is fully autonomous.

Granny ain't piloting shit. She's just along for the ride.

SteyrAUG
02-24-17, 21:47
Bro. Bro bro bro.

The AAV is fully autonomous.

Granny ain't piloting shit. She's just along for the ride.

Well I was talking about the other one. But if we are now talking about drone cars, are you really going to trust the driving to somebody who is basically the equivalent of an air traffic controller but now air traffic is in numbers similar to interstate traffic?

Off the top of my head I can think of about 99 problems if that became mainstream transportation.

I think what killed flying cars wasn't lack of technology but the realization that a third of the population can't competently drive golf carts and if you have a fender bender at 500 feet gravity compounds your problem for you and everyone in the crash cone below you.

I would absolutely love to go out in my driveway, power up my mini harrier flying car and zip to my destination above all the morons fuxoring traffic all up and down the interstate and every other major road way. But I don't love it enough to accept all of those morons I'm trying to avoid getting their own mini harrier flying car and fuxoring the air space and making the entire thing pointless.

Not to mention dickweed kids flying over my house on their kiddie flying car.

More importantly, if you must fly, just check prices on an ultralight. It already exists, it's proven technology that is reasonably affordable and you don't have to share the air space with people who are texting.

Moose-Knuckle
02-25-17, 04:45
PFVs!?

It's 2017 for crying out loud I just want a Johnny Cab already, Uber ain't got shit on Johnny Cab.

BBossman
02-25-17, 08:48
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lackner_HZ-1_Aerocycle

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/aerocycle_zpsq00lcorc.jpg

Outlander Systems
02-25-17, 08:56
Don't forget the Avrocar!

Hmac
02-25-17, 09:06
Civil aviation authorities can't even come up with a rational plan for integrating 5 lb toys into their National Airspace Systems. Autonomous flying vehicles and their navigation systems are going to require some MAJOR technology upgrades before they become anything like mainstream. But likely the thing that will keep this out of the mainstream for the forseeable future is cost. Not just the cost of the vehicles themselves but the cost of the airspace management software, and especially the liability costs that come along with the inevitable crashes that will occur. One only needs to look at what has happened to the General Aviation industry over the last 30 years to see that, for the time being, autonomous flying vehicles or the broad-based use of personal flying cars just ain't gonna happen.

Outlander Systems
02-25-17, 10:23
"The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty—a fad." - -The president of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford's lawyer not to invest in the Ford Motor Co., 1903

#M4Geezer.net

Hmac
02-25-17, 10:35
"The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty—a fad." - -The president of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford's lawyer not to invest in the Ford Motor Co., 1903

#M4Geezer.net

No doubt it will happen, but the path by which the hurdles are overcome on any significant scales is very steep, very expensive, and likely a long way off. PFV's will get probably get there first, piloted by those who get training and can pass some version of a certification exam. Automated systems in a complex and highly regulated airspace like the US will likely follow at quite a distance.

Outlander Systems
02-25-17, 10:42
Absolutely.

You're a drone nerd.

My point of reference is that, I have personally crashed my Phantom under manual control several times. Litchi? With due dilligence on my part with route planning and altitude management, goose egg crashes (knock on wood.)

How I know this shit is definitely going to happen?

Literally not a week goes by that my 11 year old and her buddies geek the **** out over "flying cars." They're borderline obsessed.

Outlander Systems
02-25-17, 10:47
A good analogy is going to be the widespread adoption of self driving cars.

The self driving car doesn't need to be a perfect driver. It just needs to be statistically better than the average driver. Once insurance companies realize, and I think they have, the cost savings on their end, it's baked in the cake.

Wanna manually drive a vehicle? Get ready to pay a hefty premium...

I'm sure you guys have seen this:

https://youtu.be/3TtODhB-008

Hmac
02-25-17, 10:50
I agree with all that, but I think that flying a quadcopter FPV or line-of-sight is different than actually being inside the cockpit due to lack of perspective and field of view. And I've found that crashing a Phantom with its highly automated flight management system is less likely than crashing an R/C plane flown from ground reference.

Automated flight for PFVs is the likely solution to widespread use, but IMHO the regulation and the technology, and especially the cost will be major hurdles. As with General Aviation, PFVs flown by trained and certified pilots with some sort of technology supplementation is the place this will start.

Outlander Systems
02-25-17, 10:58
Regulation is going to be the biggest one.

Hell, the DOT can't even figure out if a Polaris slingshot is a car or a motorcycle...

Aside from mechanical safety and redundant systems, the critical technology for collision avoidance is going to be LiDAR.

I'm VERY familiar with it in my line of work. The cost has come down significantly over the last couple of years. Real-time LiDAR along with a sufficient collision avoidance routine will make the PFVS safer than any car on the road today. If the hardware has solid self-diagnostics, and proper maintenance is performed, the technology could ultimately save Governments untold trillions on road maintenance.

Hmac
02-25-17, 11:08
I absolutely believe that autonomous vehicles and reliable collision-avoidance technologies are looming. IMHO, the major hurdles are going to be reliability and the fail-safe backups, the cost (not the technology but the certification and regulation compliance), and for flying vehicle, the implications that that third dimension will impose on those things.

Outlander Systems
02-25-17, 11:11
Agreed. When these things are equipped with Sprag clutches I will be fully drunk on the Kool Aid.

JusticeM4
02-25-17, 14:03
Yes, the future is here!!

Now where's my light saber and teleportation device??

While I think this stuff is cool, in reality it is a long way off (decades) before it gets mainstream. Self-driving/automated vehicles are first in line before PFV's. As a fan of Back to the Future, I'm still waiting for real flying cars.

As some have said, the real challenge lies in regulation and cost, among other things such as licensing and training. It will be just like piloting a helicopter in essence.

caporider
02-25-17, 15:10
It will be just like piloting a helicopter in essence.

It will be when all the CPU-driven and sensor-fed systems fail and the human occupants must take manual control...

There is zero chance of flying cars or motorcycles until the very flawed human occupants are mostly removed from the control loop. The network/mesh/AI required for workable flying cars is one step away from SkyNet, IMHO.