PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat

Delta-3
02-24-17, 14:24
I have rifles with barrels from Colt, BCM & Daniel Defense. All quality & highly recommended here. What I can't find is any opinions on AR barrels from Wilson Combat & I'm looking for the pros & cons.

Stickman
02-24-17, 15:57
I have rifles with barrels from Colt, BCM & Daniel Defense. All quality & highly recommended here. What I can't find is any opinions on AR barrels from Wilson Combat & I'm looking for the pros & cons.

Is there a particular barrel you are looking at, or just generic info on Wilson Combat barrels? I've used a 300blk from WC, and it was a very accurate shooter.

Delta-3
02-25-17, 15:09
I have a particular one in mind but just wondered why they weren't mentioned or recommended as often or in general when quality barrel conversations come up.

Waylander
02-25-17, 15:27
I have a particular one in mind but just wondered why they weren't mentioned or recommended as often or in general when quality barrel conversations come up.
Probably because they sell stainless barrels which aren't as popular with "fighting carbine" crowds but more precision rifle crowd. I believe they use top tier blanks like Kreiger or Shillen IIRC.

They're the chief sponsor and more recently owner/admin of 68forums which I've been a member for 6 or 7 years and never seen any complaints.

Stickman
02-25-17, 17:47

They are good, but are always going to be much better known for their 1911 lineup.

MORifleman
02-27-17, 08:57
I have experience with two WC barrels, both the lightweight versions. My 16" 5.56 barrel was a just under MOA shooter. My 16" 6.8 SPC barrel is a tackdriver. Half inch groups are not uncommon with it. My friend also has a factory assembled SPR WC upper, so heavier profiled, and it is an easy .75 MOA shooter. For less than $300, I think they are great match barrels.

Ned Christiansen
02-27-17, 09:09
I happened to be there right after they got set up to make their own rifle barrels.... I mention that just to remove any doubt as to whether or not they are actually making them, they are. Saw the bundles of raw barrel stock too.

I got one maybe a year ago, 20" heavy stainless, unfluted, 8 twist. The most accurate AR barrel I've had to date. Shot my first honest-to-goodness ragged-hole group using Nosler factory loads, 69 grain. I bore scoped it and another of theirs prior to firing a shot. Both were super clean inside-- no gas port burr and no burring into the rifling from the process of chamber reaming.

Really good stuff-- like pretty much everything else from WC that I have experienced.

Delta-3
02-27-17, 09:34
Thanks for the very informative responses Gents! My limited research was leading me in the " more for the precision rifle crowd" & that was the direction I wanted to take with this next rifle. You all have been most helpful.

Mrgunsngear
02-27-17, 10:09
I happened to be there right after they got set up to make their own rifle barrels.... I mention that just to remove any doubt as to whether or not they are actually making them, they are. Saw the bundles of raw barrel stock too.

I got one maybe a year ago, 20" heavy stainless, unfluted, 8 twist. The most accurate AR barrel I've had to date. Shot my first honest-to-goodness ragged-hole group using Nosler factory loads, 69 grain. I bore scoped it and another of theirs prior to firing a shot. Both were super clean inside-- no gas port burr and no burring into the rifling from the process of chamber reaming.

Really good stuff-- like pretty much everything else from WC that I have experienced.

Agreed. My Recon 308 is as accurate (same hole with Gorillla 175gr) as my high end 308 bolt guns. It's truly impressive