PDA

View Full Version : Copper fouling with two specific loads?

ABNAK
02-25-17, 19:47
Mk318 and BH 70gr GMX.

The Mk318 has a copper base, and the GMX is 95% copper, so is there a copper fouling issue to the degree of the TSX (all copper) loads with either of these?

Specifically the GMX is advertised as having a 95-to-5% copper-to-gilding metal percentage. Does that 5% really make that much of a difference?

ST911
02-25-17, 20:01
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?168892-So-just-how-bad-is-the-copper-fouling-from-the-Barnes-TSX-bullets
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?183465-How-has-the-military-dealt-with-copper-fouling-from-quot-Brown-Tip-quot-ammunition

ABNAK
02-25-17, 20:20
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?168892-So-just-how-bad-is-the-copper-fouling-from-the-Barnes-TSX-bullets
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?183465-How-has-the-military-dealt-with-copper-fouling-from-quot-Brown-Tip-quot-ammunition

Gotcha, but I was specifically inquiring about the GMX (not TSX) and the Mk318. I have several hundred of each and was looking to expand one or the other. They are both good at barriers and also at terminal ballistics. Trying to "break the tie" so to speak by seeing which would be easier to stay on top of maintenance-wise (like not having to add in the copper removing step to barrel cleaning if applicable). Pretend that both rounds have the same cost, even though they obviously don't.

ST911
02-25-17, 20:42
Gotcha, but I was specifically inquiring about the GMX (not TSX) and the Mk318. I have several hundred of each and was looking to expand one or the other. They are both good at barriers and also at terminal ballistics. Trying to "break the tie" so to speak by seeing which would be easier to stay on top of maintenance-wise (like not having to add in the copper removing step to barrel cleaning if applicable). Pretend that both rounds have the same cost, even though they obviously don't.

Understood. Just offered out for comparative references on copper fouling in bullets of similar type.

MegademiC
02-25-17, 21:18
GMX sounds like typical guilding metal.
Its not 5% guilding metal, its all guilding metal(if im reading that right) which is 95% copper, 5% zinc. Fouling should be the same as any other standard rifle bullet.

Yes 5% can make a huge difference when it comes to alloys. 0.5% makes a noticeable difference depending on the alloy.

ABNAK
02-25-17, 21:45
GMX sounds like typical guilding metal.
Its not 5% guilding metal, its all guilding metal(if im reading that right) which is 95% copper, 5% zinc. Fouling should be the same as any other standard rifle bullet.

Yes 5% can make a huge difference when it comes to alloys. 0.5% makes a noticeable difference depending on the alloy.

That is what I was looking for (hopefully an accurate statement). You just cost me more $$$....... ;)

MegademiC
02-26-17, 16:45
I just verified via the MSDS that they are 95% Cu and 5% Zn (+/-1%)
Fouling should be identical to any other guilding metal bullet. I say "should" because I don't know what I don't know... BUT
Same material, same velocity(?), same barrel, same powder(?), should yield same results. I don't know if the softer lead core will have an impact, but I'd guess not.
Hopefully someone with experience can offer something more definitive.

That is what I was looking for (hopefully an accurate statement). You just cost me more $$$....... ;)

MQ105
02-26-17, 18:11
I just verified via the MSDS that they are 95% Cu and 5% Zn (+/-1%)
Fouling should be identical to any other guilding metal bullet. I say "should" because I don't know what I don't know... BUT
Same material, same velocity(?), same barrel, same powder(?), should yield same results. I don't know if the softer lead core will have an impact, but I'd guess not.
Hopefully someone with experience can offer something more definitive.

The all copper bullets are the only type that I have had cause, or have heard of causing, high copper fouling. This assumes the particular barrel doesn't have an internal irregularity that would cause a problem with bullets made of guilding metal.

markm
02-26-17, 19:34
I have no idea why anyone puts up with these bullets. " 'tis nonsense.... the shake and bake"

ABNAK
02-26-17, 19:43
I have no idea why anyone puts up with these bullets. " 'tis nonsense.... the shake and bake"

Care to elaborate, or does my sarcasm meter need adjusted?

Okay, a quote from you in another thread from last year: "I'd NEVER run a bullet that required CFE type powder to keep the barrel accurate. Eff that nonsense."

MegademiC
02-26-17, 20:45

I think that's the point of the op. He doesn't want the crap.

The gmx won't foul up like a solid copper. Or did I miss your intent?