PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Executive Order Designating Certain Rifles for ‘Militia Purposes’

TacMedic556
02-26-17, 10:57
Any updates on this? Will Tump actually execute a measure like this? This is awesome - however I could see this creating a media firestorm against Trump - oh wait......

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/02/john-boch/proposed-executive-order-designating-rifles-militia-purposes/
https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/02/24/executive-order-may-strike-marylands-ruling-ban-semiautomatic-rifles/

DESIGNATION OF MILITIA RIFLES

By the authority vested in me as President and Commander in Chief of the Militia by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and in order to ensure the ability of citizens of the United States to defend themselves, their communities and their States, as well as to ensure the safety and security of our Nation, I hereby order as follows:

Section 1. Purpose. Both individual and community safety are critically important to the national security of the United States. Terrorism, transnational criminal activity and potential acts of war by foreign nations present a significant threat to national security and our citizens, who have the right and the duty to defend themselves, their communities, their States and the Nation.

Section 2. Policy. It is the policy of the executive branch to:

(a) Support and defend the Constitution, including the Second Amendment right of citizens to keep and bear arms for Militia purposes,as well asself-defense.

(b) Encourage citizens to be prepared to act as members of the Militia to defend communities, States and the Nation, as part of the common defense contemplated by the Constitution of the United States.

(c) Discourage restrictions by States and political subdivisionson individual possession of firearms suitable for Militia purposes by citizens of the United States.

Section 3. Definitions.

(a) “Militia” has the meaning given the term in Title 10, Section 311 of the United States Code to include the Unorganized Militia, as well as the meaning given to the term “Militia” under equivalent State statutes.

(b) “Self-Defense” shall mean the actions of citizens to defend themselves and their families from physical attack.

(c) “Communities” shall mean neighborhoods, towns, cities, counties and other political subdivisions of citizens who live in distinct geographic areas within a State.

(d) “State” shall mean one of the fifty States of the United States.

(e) “Militia Purposes” shall mean training, practice and preparedness which could improve the ability of a citizen to act,and to be armed in case of a need to act, as a current or future member of a local, State or National organization commanded by government officials and responsive to a physical threat. Appropriate organizations include those commanded by an elected county or city Sheriff; those commanded by the Governor of a State through officers of that State’s Defense Force as authorized by Title 30, Section 109 of the United States Code, or through officers of that State’s National Guard;and organizations commanded by the President through officers of the Active or Reserve components of U.S. Armed Forces.

(f) “Militia Rifles” shall mean the firearms designated in Section 4 that are made in America and suitable for use in self-defense, community defense, defense of States and defense of the Nation.

Section 4. Designation of Militia Rifles. That the following firearms and accessories are authorized and appropriate for individual citizens to keep and bear for Militia purposes under the Constitution and the laws of the United States:

(a) The AR-15 and similar semi-automatic rifles, to include flash suppressors and bayonet lugs, magazines of up to thirty round capacities, M-7 bayonets, and ammunition in 5.56 NATO or .223 Remington, in all quantities.

(b) The M1A and similar semi-automatic rifles, to include flash suppressors and bayonet lugs,magazines of up to twenty round capacities, M-6 bayonets, and ammunition in 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester, in all quantities.

(c) The M1 Garand and similar semi-automatic rifles, to include flash suppressors and bayonet lugs, M-5 bayonets, and ammunition in.30-’06 Springfield, in all quantities.

(d) Bolt action rifles in the calibers of .30-’06 Springfield; 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester; 5.56 NATO or .223 Remington; or any substantially equivalent caliber, and ammunition appropriate for the rifles, in any quantity.

(This list could be expanded or replaced by a broad definition)

Section 5. Pre-emption. This Executive Order is intended to pre-empt the laws of States or political subdivisions that infringe upon the rights of citizens to keep and bear the arms designated in Section 4.

Section 6. Judicial Notice. That the judges of all State and Federal Courts are hereby given notice that possession of the designated Militia Rifles and accessories by citizens should not be restricted or infringed upon by State laws or the laws of a political subdivision of a State and any such law should be reviewed under the strict scrutiny standard to determine whether it is a violation of the Constitution of the United States after judicial consideration of this Order and the fact that it was issued by the Commander in Chief of the Militia.

Donald J. Trump

THE WHITE HOUSE

March __, 2017

RobertTheTexan
02-26-17, 11:08
Seems odd to me that an EO would have misspellings in it. Does that seem odd to anyone else? "Asself-defense" , "subdivisionson"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacMedic556
02-26-17, 12:14
Yeah it's definitely not looking official yet. It appears to have been put out or leaked by some law firm and the Whitehouse has not yet commented on it.

RobertTheTexan
02-26-17, 12:24
That was along my thoughts as well.

Firefly
02-26-17, 12:27
So a Trump Presidency means I may actually get a free A1 in the mail along with a free Russian chick?

Turnkey11
02-26-17, 12:35
As a member of the unorganized militia, he should designate me a surplus M240B.

RobertTheTexan
02-26-17, 12:40
So a Trump Presidency means I may actually get a free A1 in the mail along with a free Russian chick?

The left promises free education; the right free guns. I'm glad my daddy raised me right.
Wondering if I forego the A1, can I have two Russian chicks?

Firefly
02-26-17, 12:48
The left promises free education; the right free guns. I'm glad my daddy raised me right.
Wondering if I forego the A1, can I have two Russian chicks?

I have kind of a 'Nam fetish and am not really into blonds. I'll gladly trade you.

Now if it were Phoebe Cates clones that'd be different

JackFanToM
02-26-17, 12:54
You can't say phoebe cates without "moving in stereo" coming into my head, and I can't hear "moving in stereo" without envisioning phoebe slowly removing a red bikini.

Firefly
02-26-17, 13:09
You can't say phoebe cates without "moving in stereo" coming into my head, and I can't hear "moving in stereo" without envisioning phoebe slowly removing a red bikini.

That scene reinforced a lot of men of a certain age's heterosexuality.

I dare say if they showed that in schools all the dudes wearing leggings with make up would start jumping up and down testifying "I don't like mens no more!!"

nimdabew
02-26-17, 13:13
Am I the only one that is slightly scared that we need to designate what weapons are suitable for militia purposes? I know about the 4th(?) Circuit decision, but when the government starts saying what we can "use" in the militia, it leaves a plethora of other weapons that can't be used specifically because they aren't listed. Read: ban list in Cali and getting around it by renaming guns to BR-15 instead of AR-15 to get around named ban.

Ryno12
02-26-17, 13:15
Am I the only one that is slightly scared that we need to designate what weapons are suitable for militia purposes? I know about the 4th(?) Circuit decision, but when the government starts saying what we can "use" in the militia, it leaves a plethora of other weapons that can't be used specifically because they aren't listed. Read: ban list in Cali and getting around it by renaming guns to BR-15 instead of AR-15 to get around named ban.

That was my thought as well. I don't think this is a good idea at all.

Firefly
02-26-17, 13:39
This is all a byproduct of letting lawyers be in politics.

And most lawyers are alcoholics and pill freaks

Hmac
02-26-17, 13:42
Smells like wishful thinking to me...more likely just fake news.

RobertTheTexan
02-26-17, 13:44
I have kind of a 'Nam fetish and am not really into blonds. I'll gladly trade you.

Now if it were Phoebe Cates clones that'd be different

Back in the day when I was in East Berlin, I discovered not all Russians are blonds. There are some dark haired vixens and even red heads.

RobertTheTexan
02-26-17, 13:50

I dare say if they showed that in schools all the dudes wearing leggings with make up would start jumping up and down testifying "I don't like mens no more!!"

We need to HACK the DNC... That would convert about 70%. Photoshop Rambo's M60 over Phoebe and we'd have a danggone conversion revival.

daniel87
02-26-17, 14:15
I dislike cartridge and platform designations. It should say any and all firearms are for self defense, recreation, hunting, and the militia.

My 300 blk pistol has a 60 rd surefire mag. Why cant i use it.
Or my mosberg 500 with buck or slug. Or my 308 win bolt, 300 win browning made by fn.

Its wishful thinking. Just say any an all arms/weapons are for the militia and hunting.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
02-26-17, 16:14
M-16A1s for the CMP or stop wasting time.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-26-17, 16:37
Yes, hell yes. If he doesn't do it now, he should leave it as one of those lame duck EOs like Barry's 12th hour streams and home refinance EOs that Trump had to clean up after. Make the next Dem (or GOP) a-hole's first actions to 'come after our guns'.

MegademiC
02-26-17, 17:14

I think I get it now. Lawyers are typically judges right?

Firefly
02-26-17, 17:38
Whatever happens, happens

Bulletdog
02-26-17, 19:18
I'm also opposed to specifically designating calibers and firearms to be used for the "common defense", but how freakin' awesome would it be to see MILLIONS of people in NY, NJ, CA, etc… buying up every AR and 30 round mag they can get their hands on? Even if the next pres rescinds this EO, all those stinkin' progressives will know all those guns and mags are still out there lurking in the dark corners of their liberal states… Or maybe just the red corners...

MountainRaven
02-26-17, 19:49

We've had lawyers in politics in this country since at least 1775. And lawyers have been in politics in Europe since at least Cato.

soulezoo
02-26-17, 19:55
We've had lawyers in politics in this country since at least 1775. And lawyers have been in politics in Europe since at least Cato.
Yup... what does one call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? A damned good start.

I read somewhere that the US graduates 10 lawyers for every engineer. China graduates 10 engineers for each lawyer.
China: #winning

Renegade
02-26-17, 19:57
Section 4. Designation of Militia Rifles. That the following firearms and accessories are authorized and appropriate for individual citizens to keep and bear for Militia purposes under the Constitution and the laws of the United States:

(a) The AR-15 and similar semi-automatic rifles, to include flash suppressors and bayonet lugs, magazines of up to thirty round capacities, M-7 bayonets, and ammunition in 5.56 NATO or .223 Remington, in all quantities.

(b) The M1A and similar semi-automatic rifles, to include flash suppressors and bayonet lugs,magazines of up to twenty round capacities, M-6 bayonets, and ammunition in 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester, in all quantities.

This a joke right? Magazine capacity limits?

26 Inf
02-26-17, 20:00
Yup... what does one call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? A damned good start.

I read somewhere that the US graduates 10 lawyers for every engineer. China graduates 10 engineers for each lawyer.

China: #winning

On the other hand, we also graduate 10 Chinese engineers for every American engineer.

ABNAK
02-26-17, 20:19

Uh, back then dude there wasn't the massive issue (like nowadays apparently) of ascertaining one's sexuality. Just like in the movie, many a little swimmer died with Phoebe Cates in mind.

ABNAK
02-26-17, 20:21

I thought it was judges? (yeah, I know they're lawyers first)

soulezoo
02-26-17, 20:57
On the other hand, we also graduate 10 Chinese engineers for every American engineer.

Yeah, and there's that too.

Full disclosure: my wife's an engineer and not Chinese.

TMS951
02-27-17, 07:12
This a joke right? Magazine capacity limits?

No, intentional. You have to remember the heller case here. "In common use" is the most important statement in that decision.

Those 30 and 20 round mags are "in common use". While this leaves larger mags vulnerable it is very smart. It is written to ride on the Supreme Court decision and cement that a 30 round AR mag is not 'high capacity' but stanadard and in common use. I'll take it.

Though I don't see this being a real EO.

26 Inf
02-27-17, 15:41
Yeah, and there's that too.

Full disclosure: my wife's an engineer and not Chinese.

I noticed when my wife picked up her masters that aside from Nursing and Education, dang near all the recipients were foreign born.

CleverNickname
03-01-17, 20:31
Seems odd to me that an EO would have misspellings in it. Does that seem odd to anyone else? "Asself-defense" , "subdivisionson"

This is just something one lawyer (who's not associated with the government in any way) wrote up. Why this is "news" is something I can't really answer.

Oh wait, I can. TTAG is written by a bunch of click-baiting hacks. That's why it's "news."