PDA

View Full Version : First jump in over 20-years!!

CarlosDJackal
09-21-08, 23:13
Well, I freaking did it. I wasn't sure I still had it in me. But I finally have static-line jump number 34 under my belt. I did number 33 at the end of my Active Duty career back in February 1988. Last March I joined an Army Reserve unit that is on Airborne status (Civil Affairs).

After a couple of cancelled jumps, we finally broke our dry spell last weekend when we steps out of a C-23 Sherpa at 1,500-feet. I tell you what; it scared the ever-living shit out of me!! I wasn't even sure I still had it in me. While I landed like a sack of potatoes, I did walk off the DZ without any injuries.

Here is a picture of me (a "Born-again Cherry") along with three other Cherries (this was just their sixth jump). Notice all the "Cherry" stickers?

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/CarlosDJackal/BornAgainCherry.jpg

On a sad note, I have been transferred out of my unit (the company I was assigned to is scheduled to deploy early next year) because my status was just changed to non-deployable due to a medical condition. While I have the option to stay with the current Battalion, I have decided to request that I be transferred back to the IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve). If my condition ends up getting stabilized for at least 12-months, then I will reconsider re-joining the USAR.

After 4-years of Active Duty (as an 11C1P), 8-years in the Army National Guard (Aviator), and 5-months in the Army Reserve (I am currently a CPT and assigned as a Team Leader); nobody can say that I have not done my part. I feel kinda guilty that my Soldiers will be going into harm's way without me though. But unfortunately, this is something that is beyond any of my control.

K.L. Davis
09-21-08, 23:26
Congrats! Ya'know what they say, only a Paratrooper knows why birds sing.

While I landed like a sack of potatoes...
Modified PLF: Balls of the feet, knees, nose.

CarlosDJackal
09-22-08, 07:45
Congrats! Ya'know what they say, only a Paratrooper knows why birds sing.

Modified PLF: Balls of the feet, knees, nose.

It was much worse than that!! My PLF was: feet (flat), ass, and that was all. I landed sitting up!! :(

Safetyhit
09-22-08, 10:48
Somebody sure looks pretty excited...

That is one big smile you've got there. :D

JAW3
09-22-08, 10:55
You are lucky you are walking! I have seen civilian skydivers crack vertebrae landing on their butts!
On a happier note, if you get a chance to do a HALO or HAHO jump or some civilian skydiving, I bet you will LOVE 60 seconds or so of freefall.

CooperM
09-22-08, 18:13
Funny, I was in the Army in 74, they wanted me to go Airborne and I said NFW, then 35 years later I decide to jump and I now have 332 free falls..

Get off the line a feel a little freedome,,,, 8-)

Congrats on your jump!!!

Go Army!

Mark

mattjmcd
09-22-08, 21:33
bitchin'!!!

Thanks for your service.

Heavy Metal
09-22-08, 21:38
Your propeller beanie would have provided some much needed lift!

CarlosDJackal
09-22-08, 21:40
You are lucky you are walking! I have seen civilian skydivers crack vertebrae landing on their butts!
On a happier note, if you get a chance to do a HALO or HAHO jump or some civilian skydiving, I bet you will LOVE 60 seconds or so of freefall.

I actually have all of one AFF jump from 13,500 feet. Skydiving is fun and all, but it just isn't Paratrooping. ;)

CarlosDJackal
09-22-08, 21:41
Your propeller beanie would have provided some much needed lift!

That's true. I could have performed an Autorotation to the ground!! :p

gishooter
09-22-08, 23:20
removed, changed