PDA

View Full Version : Any old school guys here who prefer a canteen to a Camlebak?

daddyusmaximus
02-27-17, 11:31
At a very basic level, I agree with having some way to carry water. Hydration was always preached in the Army and you never know how long a mission will take. Now that I'm retired, I see it a bit different as a civilian. I still train when I can. I still try to stay hydrated to the point that it has become a firmly ingrained habit that I walk around with a water bottle of some kind. (or Gatorade as it is right this moment) I have water in the garage. I have water in each vehicle... bla, bla.

However, I do not keep my Camelbak on my vest. I have it still, and can sling it on my back if needed, but as a civilian, my priority is the safety of my family. I don't look upon my vest now as a I did "full battle rattle" back then. I can see me having to respond to an active shooter, or maybe even a coordinated terrorist attack, but any firefight I get into will most likely be just that, a firefight. Bad guys shoot at me, I shoot back. It may last 30 seconds, 20 minutes, or 3 hrs, but unless the country descends into a full on civil war, or we suffer an invasion, I will most likely never again get into a battle where I must stand my ground, (unless I'm home) or I must take an objective.

I have my Camelbak ready and waiting, but I keep it separate from the vest itself. I have water all around me at most times, and this way I can use the Camelbak even when there is no violent threat... without looking like I'm ready for war. I have several canteens, but only the one Camlebak. I also sometimes use the Camelbak when I'm away from a water supply like off roading in the Jeep just because it's easy, but it's not the same.. (even though the Jeep carries water)

I will eventually either get a second bladder for the vest, or more canteens so I can dedicate the Camelbak to the vest, but I actually prefer canteens much more. Grabbing the bladder hose is easier, (while moving or under fire) but it just never feels the same as taking a break for a moment and unscrewing a canteen lid...

Anybody with me here?

Turnkey11
02-27-17, 11:36
I keep two of the nalgene 1 qt canteens on the waistpad of my hiking rig, still rock the 2-qt with the strap if its just a day hike.

austinN4
02-27-17, 11:50
Got tired of carrying water bottles on the sides of my pack. Plus I don't have full motion in my left arm and can't get the left side bottle out with my left arm, which leaves me with only 1 liter unless I stop.

Went to an integrated hydration pack and love it. And I can keep the mouthpiece in my mouth if both hands are full.

Love it and would never go back; although, if I need to pack more the 3 liters I will also carry bottles to refill the bladder with.

Evel Baldgui
02-27-17, 11:52
Water bottles and lifestraw for most hikes.

3 AE
03-27-17, 02:11
I pretty much use both to compliment each other. On day hikes I use the older Camelbak Mule, but I've switched over to using Source bladders. No more funky plastic taste! I keep a Nalgene Oasis Canteen as a backup and as part of a compact cook kit with USGI canteen cup and canteen stove. My EDC pack also sports a Source bladder and an Oasis or two.

http://www.nalgene.com/bottles/oasis/

They even come in Foliage and Coyote Brown for those of us that have to color coordinate!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088LQ7M8/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w

Pilot1
03-27-17, 06:25
I also use Nalgene bottles, but may try a Camelback soon.

austinN4
03-27-17, 07:56
.........., but I've switched over to using Source bladders. No more funky plastic taste!

Had not heard of those. Thanks! Gonna give one a try to replace one of my Osprey Hydraulics bladders.

bushcraftdave
08-04-17, 02:50
Great question and something that I've thought about recently. Some people prefer canteens because they just work, don't have to worry about leaks like you would with bladders. I like the weight distribution of the bladder

Some backpackers prefer water bottles on long through hikes, they can't afford a leak

Mr. Goodtimes
08-04-17, 10:07
I like bladders for their convenience but I still bring two 32oz Nalgene bottles on hikes in case the bladder breaks and for cooking. Bottles/Canteens just work better for some thing. I like the Nalgene bottles because they're graduated, this good for cooking with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
08-04-17, 10:29
GUILTY! I have used Camelbaks and will continue to do so, but the good ol' handheld canteen can't be beat.

BrigandTwoFour
08-04-17, 11:02
I keep a 3L source bladder in my pack, but all of my gear is also set up to accommodate a canteen of some sort. I like my Nalgene Oasis 32oz USGI pattern units, but my favorite is a stainless steel 42oz canteen with wide mouth and it's nested cup/stove from the Pathfinder school.

You can't boil water in a bladder.

austinN4
08-04-17, 11:05
Can't boil water in a bladder.

You can, but it doesn't work well and it will be the last time you try it! LOL

SeriousStudent
08-04-17, 16:18
I use both. A combination of Source bladders and 1-quart water bottles. All of my Camelbak bladders have been replaced with Source units. No funky smell/taste, and the wide mouth makes them very easy to clean or add ice to.

I grew up in the desert, and learned at a earlier age it can be dangerous to have all of your water in one container. You do pay a slight weight penalty for that, however.

Multiple containers also makes it easier to share water with other people in your group, such as children, elders, injured, etc. if you have to go for help, you can leave some water with them while doing so.

I also like the ability to have one container that is only used for unsterilized water. Treat the water in it, then move to the other containers.

Doc Safari
08-04-17, 16:28
My big question: how in the blue blazes do you keep half-empty canteens from sloshing audibly and potentially giving away your position?

SeriousStudent
08-04-17, 16:35
My big question: how in the blue blazes do you keep half-empty canteens from sloshing audibly and potentially giving away your position?

You don't. You pretty much have to drink a quart at a time. Kneel, look, listen, drink.

But my days of worrying about angry people hearing my canteens are long in my past. It's honestly something I don't think about these days.

Doc Safari
08-04-17, 16:39
You don't. You pretty much have to drink a quart at a time. Kneel, look, listen, drink.

But my days of worrying about angry people hearing my canteens are long in my past. It's honestly something I don't think about these days.

I was actually referring to potential game animals, but I s'pose you could still metaphorically call them that in your situation as well. :jester:

SeriousStudent
08-04-17, 16:46
I was actually referring to potential game animals, but I s'pose you could still metaphorically call them that in your situation as well. :jester:

Ah, very good point. I hunt from a blind, and make a point of getting there early and waiting a half hour for all of God's tasty critters to settle down before I blast them and cook them.

Two-legged critters can be much more wary, and that is what I thought you were referring to.

Doc Safari
08-04-17, 16:48
Ah, very good point. I hunt from a blind, and make a point of getting there early and waiting a half hour for all of God's tasty critters to settle down before I blast them and cook them.

Two-legged critters can be much more wary, and that is what I thought you were referring to.

Well, in my tactical situation, I'm only likely to have to fire on two-legged critters if they are blatantly asking for it by posing an open and direct threat of violence and at that point the water sloshing in the canteens will be the least of my worries.

blade_68
08-18-17, 05:30
I use nalgene bottles daily carry 2-3 at work one with tea the others just water. Where I work you don't want to drink the tap water for most part. It would be out of place to use a water bladder. My tactical situation leaves that out of place. ;)

JasonB1
08-18-17, 05:57
I use both in warm weather, but water bottles exclusively when temps get below freezing. Got tired of having to keep the mouthpiece and hose from freezing. Same reason I carry a water filter in warm weather, plus chemical treatment as a back up, but switch to chemical only in cold weather.

Jonnyt16
09-02-17, 12:31
I am a proponent of bladders but the good 'ol USGI canteens still hold a place in my heart. Love the pouches too and I would always keep fire starting equipment in them.

https://i.imgur.com/mKY20Lx.jpg

bushcraftdave
09-28-17, 02:41
it's funny, I have quite a few canteens and water bladders, but when I'm not hiking I'm usually dehydrated

ra2bach
10-11-17, 16:28

you don't. you drink from the bladder and refill with canteens.

canteen can be a good old fashion GI-style aluminum, steel, or Ti canteen so you can boil water in it or the nalgene version called Oasis that still fits in canteen cups. or use just plain old water bottles.

I prefer Smartwater bottles because, 1) they're lighter than Nalgene 1L bottles and 2) a Sawyer water filter will screw right onto it. 32oz Gatorade bottles work good too and are more durable than Smartwater bottles but not as light...

Slab
10-11-17, 17:57
It is probably my selection of bladders over the years but I have suffered several failures with them, resulting in wet/frozen pack contents. So, I'm strictly on the canteen/bottle program, these days.

Evel Baldgui
10-13-17, 12:29
No, not all. Camelbaks are superior when hiking, long distance road cycling, kayaking, and mountain biking.

T2C
10-26-17, 21:25
I finally picked up a Camelbak. I have used it a few times with success in warm weather, but prefer the old fashion canteen.

militarymoron
10-26-17, 22:38
I've used both bladders, canteen, nalgenes, collapsible nalgenes etc but I think that if I'm wearing a pack, it's hard to beat an internal bladder for convenience. But, there are times when I like an old-school canteen such as the one below.

https://i.imgur.com/nTnPueC.jpg

Tortuga
12-31-17, 23:00
Both. I like to have a 100oz bladder in my ruck, two if there's a K9. At least one nalgene as back up and to filter/refill as needed. In the winter, I dump the bladder and go to strictly nalgenes, upside-down with 1/2" tubular webbing in nalgene parkas.

For those concerned with sloshing, nalgene parkas are good at silencing that. They are also a great place to keep your canteen cup.