PDA

View Full Version : H3 Buffer

BGREID
02-27-17, 18:20
I have gone to using H3 Buffers in all my AR's. Including a 10.5 inch .223 pistol. They seem to reduce muzzle flip and run great. Why use anything else?

Clint
02-27-17, 18:31
If the H3 works great, rock on.

As a suggestion of something else to use, the A5 system.

The A5 system default weight is 5.4 oz, the same as the H3, yet allows two steps up and two steps down for specific applications.

It has more internal weights and a biasing spring for better impact damping.

On top of that, the rifle spring provides a more constant force.

wildcard600
02-28-17, 10:34
I have gone to using H3 Buffers in all my AR's. Including a 10.5 inch .223 pistol. They seem to reduce muzzle flip and run great. Why use anything else?

H3 was a little too much in my BCM 11.5 pistol as it would occasionally fail to lock back on empty using my standard training ammo. My PSA 10.5 pistol needed the H3 as it is a bit over gassed.

Use the heaviest buffer that works reliably is my opinion.

tehpwnag3
02-28-17, 11:12
Well, I know that some folks prefer less reciprocating mass, especially when using an adjustable gas block. IME, the reliability of an H3 isn't always there if the gas port is properly sized and/or the preferred ammo isn't powerful enough and/or the gun starts to get dirty.

Why use anything else?

Iraqgunz
02-28-17, 16:22
All the buffers serve a purpose. One size fits all isn't the answer. You need to factor in different ammo, the gun being dirty, etc...

markm
02-28-17, 18:10
Exactly what Gunz said. We ran like 6 or 7 SBRs on Saturday. All I can say is each gun is it's own animal. One of the SBRs with the right gas and a suppressor shot notably smoother than my unsuppressed 10.5 with a .0715" port.

wanderson
03-01-17, 13:08
Same here, all my carbines & pistols run at least H3 buffers. A stock A2 rifle buffer is 5 oz. so no reason an M4 carbine can't run one.

For me, I just like slowing things down, take some stress off the extractor. I know some say a lighter buffer is more reliable when things start getting dirty but I prefer to go with as heavy a buffer as I can reliably run, and I'll handle keeping things clean.

markm
03-01-17, 16:47
Same here, all my carbines & pistols run at least H3 buffers. A stock A2 rifle buffer is 5 oz. so no reason an M4 carbine can't run one.

Direct weight comparisons CAN NOT be made between the carbine system and the Rifle system. An H2 buffer in carbine most closely matches the performance of the rifle spring/system.

Excessively heavy buffers can create a nose diving effect during rapid fire. I've experienced this a few times. The H3 probably has an ideal home in specific rifles. But If I had a gun that needed the H3, I'd try to correct the gas.

ABNAK
03-01-17, 18:27
Carbine length gas system I'll run an H2, mid-length an H. I don't think I have an H3 in anything I own.

sig1473
03-01-17, 18:54
I'm running a H3 in a Noveske CHF 14.5" Mid-Length. I've tried an A5H2 but that didn't seem to do much to slow it down. Ejection was 1/130. Ammo was AE223 and PMC Bronze223. I feel like it shouldn't have to run a H3. I have an older Noveske Afghan that runs great with just a H buffer.

Iraqgunz
03-01-17, 19:25
An M4 with MILSPEC port will in fact run an H3 (USGI). Mine is currently set up with an A5H3 and Sprinco spring.

For me, I just like slowing things down, take some stress off the extractor. I know some say a lighter buffer is more reliable when things start getting dirty but I prefer to go with as heavy a buffer as I can reliably run, and I'll handle keeping things clean.

markm
03-01-17, 20:51
I'm running a H3 in a Noveske CHF 14.5" Mid-Length. I've tried an A5H2 but that didn't seem to do much to slow it down. Ejection was 1/130. Ammo was AE223 and PMC Bronze223. I feel like it shouldn't have to run a H3. I have an older Noveske Afghan that runs great with just a H buffer.

14.5 middies are really port size sensitive. They run great with H buffers at BCM's spec. of .077+/-. At .080", I've found an H2 or Vltor H2 to be just right.

Noveske has had some nicely ported barrels, and Jenna Jamison ports as well. For an A5H2 to not make a difference, I'd be concerned.

sig1473
03-02-17, 00:38
14.5 middies are really port size sensitive. They run great with H buffers at BCM's spec. of .077+/-. At .080", I've found an H2 or Vltor H2 to be just right.

Noveske has had some nicely ported barrels, and Jenna Jamison ports as well. For an A5H2 to not make a difference, I'd be concerned.

I agree. Maybe it's just in my head but it's really beating the shit out of the side of the deflector. Thinking of getting an A5H3 and some SpringCo springs to help smooth things out.

markm
03-02-17, 19:29
I agree. Maybe it's just in my head but it's really beating the shit out of the side of the deflector. Thinking of getting an A5H3 and some SpringCo springs to help smooth things out.

If it's a lo pro gas block, I'd buy an adjustable gas block. Much better to regulate the gas than to treat the symptom. If it's a fixed FSB, I'd get an insertable port.

RobertTheTexan
03-03-17, 02:11
Since the topic started touching on 14.5 mids. I have a 14.5 mid, BA Hanson barrel and using my base config, had a A5H2. Immediately I had feeding/extraction problems. It took going up to an H4 to get the weapon to function reliably and consistently H4 and a standard A5 Spring. I've tried running some different springs, Tubbs flatwire , Sprinco Red (it was the only non A5 Spring I had) but it produced inconsistent results. With the H4 it really does run all day and run well. It's a very smooth shooter, but to be honest I have this little thing in the back of my mind about it being so finicky. I just really don't know what else to address gas-wise. My thought has been to run it how it works. I usually shoot 62gr and occasionally 55, but 90% 62gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canonshooter
03-03-17, 05:19
My BCM 16" mid length runs fine with a H buffer in a carbine set up, and now just fine with an A5H0. Ejection is consistent with .223 Gold Dots, XM193 and some 69 grain hand loads. Operation seems smoother as well with the new A5 set up - any reason for me to experiment with other A5 buffers?

Iraqgunz
03-05-17, 02:35
Do whatever is clever. I run my mids with an A5H3.

My BCM 16" mid length runs fine with a H buffer in a carbine set up, and now just fine with an A5H0. Ejection is consistent with .223 Gold Dots, XM193 and some 69 grain hand loads. Operation seems smoother as well with the new A5 set up - any reason for me to experiment with other A5 buffers?

Locutus
03-05-17, 07:56
If it's a lo pro gas block, I'd buy an adjustable gas block. Much better to regulate the gas than to treat the symptom. If it's a fixed FSB, I'd get an insertable port.

Would you mind expanding on that a bit? I'm familiar with adjustable gas blocks, but not insertable ports. I saw another thread where someone was making what sounds like this using set screws drilled out to different sizes. This sounds OK if you can easily remove the gas block repeatedly until you find the port that works best, but is that a good idea with a pinned FSB? My fear would be that repeatedly removing and reinstalling a FSB would waller out the pin holes in the FSB and possibly even the slots drilled into the bottom of the barrel when the FSB was first fitted. Am I making sense here?

556BlackRifle
03-05-17, 10:04
Here's a link to Clint's sight. link (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/customtune-gas-port/)

sig1473
03-05-17, 11:37
Mine is a 14.5" w/FSB and pinned BattleComp. I'm not going to have it unpinned so the SpringCo and A5H3/H4 are the bandaids that I foresee.

lysander
03-05-17, 11:39

What he is doing is the exact same thing as an insertable port and accomplishes the same thing as an adjustable block. And, all of these "treat the symptoms"....

tom12.7
03-05-17, 17:56
Best bet is to choose a base that doesn't need any kind of band aid to begin with. Why is that so unpopular?

daniel87
03-05-17, 18:59
Best bet is to choose a base that doesn't need any kind of band aid to begin with. Why is that so unpopular?
Quality costs.

People get high when they buy somthing cheap/on sale

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sig1473
03-05-17, 19:21
Quality costs.

People get high when they buy somthing cheap/on sale

Mine is a Noveske and it wasn't cheap FWIW. Reading the entire thread helps.

daniel87
03-05-17, 20:15
Mine is a Noveske and it wasn't cheap FWIW. Reading the entire thread helps.
Sorry wrong thread.

Noveske is good didnt mean to thread drift

RobertTheTexan
03-05-17, 21:50
Do whatever is clever. I run my mids with an A5H3.

So I guess running the H4 isn't that crazy then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bimmer
03-05-17, 22:44
14.5 middies are really port size sensitive...

I have three (all three of my ARs are 14.5 midlengths).

All three run with H3 buffers. I have H and H2 buffers in my range bag in case one hiccups on an H3, but they don't hiccup, and I'm not very conscientious about cleaning my guns, either.

I'm not a cheap bastard who buys junk (at least, not anymore); two of them are BCMs.

tom12.7
03-06-17, 17:32
Many combinations suited best for a span of range in function for the H2 will run the H3 for a portion of that span, but not for the same width of span as the H2. Sometimes a H3 buffer seems better than an H2 selection until the entire range in span is examined for that.

markm
03-06-17, 17:37
I have three (all three of my ARs are 14.5 midlengths).

All three run with H3 buffers. I have H and H2 buffers in my range bag in case one hiccups on an H3, but they don't hiccup, and I'm not very conscientious about cleaning my guns, either.

I'm not a cheap bastard who buys junk (at least, not anymore); two of them are BCMs.

For whatever reason, my 14.5 middies would run an H3 no problem when new. But when the gas tube head wore down, they got very sensitive because they bled off gas badly out the front of the key. I don't know why, but mid length gas tubes don't last very long... or at least the ones I've had which were made a few years back.