PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6721 Upper Question / Sights

jeffk14
02-27-17, 19:08
I recently bought a new, take-off Colt 6721 complete upper. It came with an A2 carry handle and F marked FSB. When zeroing the rifle, I had to screw the front post down to almost bottomed out to get a 50 yd zero (IBZ). After getting home, I dug out the calipers and noticed that I have a commercial height carry handle. FWIW, the handle has the square forge mark.

I see that Colt now offers the 6721 with a MBUS and not a handle. My question is, did Colt ever offer the 6721 with a carry handle sight and if so, why would they have put a commercial height handle on an upper with an F marked FSB? Not a huge deal, since I got zero O.K. but I thought it was odd to have mismatched components. I'm also aware that the handle could have been added by the seller (private sale), thus the question. Thanks.

PaLEOjd
02-27-17, 19:47
Sounds like the person you bought it from added the carry handle to that 6721 before you received it.
The 6721 was offered with a carry handle, same as 6920 but Colt discontinued supplying them a while back and added the MBUS. Not sure the exact year but it's been a while. I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than me will chime in shortly.....

markm
02-28-17, 17:56
After getting home, I dug out the calipers and noticed that I have a commercial height carry handle.

What is a "commercial height" carry handle? I've never heard of that. Where did you measure the handle to determine this?

jeffk14
02-28-17, 18:42
What is a "commercial height" carry handle? I've never heard of that. Where did you measure the handle to determine this?

Behind the sight, from the base, to the top of the "shelf" where the rear sight ass'y sits. I don't remember the exact measurement, but the commercial measures .040" shorter than my mil spec one. Other than that, they're identical.

Mil spec matches up with a F marked FSB, while a commercial handle matches up with a non-F marked FSB.

Iraqgunz
02-28-17, 19:30
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?110911-which-carry-handle-would-be-correct

jeffk14
02-28-17, 19:59
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?110911-which-carry-handle-would-be-correct

That thread does a better, more in depth job of explaining what I was trying to describe above.

I'm still wondering though if Colt ever put commercial carry handles on any of their carbines, the 6721 in particular. Like I said, my handle has the square forge mark, which leads me to believe that this is a Colt OEM handle and it is most definitely commercial height.

Iraqgunz
02-28-17, 20:47
The forge mark means absolutely zero. I have at least MILSPEC handles with 3 different forge marks.

That thread does a better, more in depth job of explaining what I was trying to describe above.

I'm still wondering though if Colt ever put commercial carry handles on any of their carbines, the 6721 in particular. Like I said, my handle has the square forge mark, which leads me to believe that this is a Colt OEM handle and it is most definitely commercial height.

jeffk14
02-28-17, 21:32
The forge mark means absolutely zero. I have at least MILSPEC handles with 3 different forge marks.

I was aware that the different markings are only indicative of who actually forged the blanks and that different entities would then finish out the assemblies. Cardinal Forge comes to mind. I was not aware that the square forge mark in particular was used by anyone other than Colt though.

Thanks

Iraqgunz
02-28-17, 22:26
I am almost 99% sure I have seen BCM and BM carry handles with BAFE forge markings.

I was aware that the different markings are only indicative of who actually forged the blanks and that different entities would then finish out the assemblies. Cardinal Forge comes to mind. I was not aware that the square forge mark in particular was used by anyone other than Colt though.

Thanks