PDA

View Full Version : If you were early 30s, single and wanted to move to a warmer climate by the beach,

Caeser25
02-28-17, 12:13
If you were early 30s, single and wanted to move to a warmer climate by the beach, where would you go? Anywhere from Florida to Virginia.

sevenhelmet
02-28-17, 12:18
Warmer than where? Savannah, Pensacola, Virginia Beach are all pretty nice, medium-sized locations.

tb-av
02-28-17, 12:23
Nowhere in VA.

It would depend on what sort of lifestyle you wanted. Based on your avatar I would say you can rule out a lot of NC too.

Also the warmer climate... you might have to get all the way to south GA for that, if not FL.

chuckman
02-28-17, 12:24
Warmer than where? Savannah, Pensacola, Virginia Beach are all pretty nice, medium-sized locations.

Screw Virginia Beach and Tidwater Norfolk-Va Beach-Suffolk-Hampton Roads traffic.....(but the beach is nice)

I am partial to mid-NC coast, but I would be happy just about anywhere...stretch of 17 between Myrtle Beach and Savannah, coastal Alabama/Mississippi, Georgia around Fernadina Beach/Cumberland Island, Florida along the Gulf coast.....

GTF425
02-28-17, 12:39
Savannah, GA.

I grew up there and will be moving back as soon as my wife finishes her Residency.

Caeser25
02-28-17, 12:48
Warmer than western Pennsylvania. Outdoor hobbies include fishing and shooting. Why not Virginia. Avatar means nothing really. Just funny. Bike will be gone this year.

Caeser25
02-28-17, 12:51
Screw Virginia Beach and Tidwater Norfolk-Va Beach-Suffolk-Hampton Roads traffic.....(but the beach is nice)

I am partial to mid-NC coast, but I would be happy just about anywhere...stretch of 17 between Myrtle Beach and Savannah, coastal Alabama/Mississippi, Georgia around Fernadina Beach/Cumberland Island, Florida along the Gulf coast.....

You're never seen traffic in Pittsburgh.

Firefly
02-28-17, 12:57
Savannah, GA.

I grew up there and will be moving back as soon as my wife finishes her Residency.

There's always Club One and Heckle and Jekyll Island

chuckman
02-28-17, 13:07
You're never seen traffic in Pittsburgh.

Lol, actually I have. It is bad. My wife's best friend is in Morgantown, and we've spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh (because it isn't Morgantown). The Va Beach area is very spread out, though, and it takes forever to get anywhere. If you like the beach without traffic, the NC outer banks is the ticket. Seasonal traffic can be tough, but still it ain't bad, compared to Pittsburgh or Va Beach. But NC beaches aren't as warm as they are further south.

skywalkrNCSU
02-28-17, 13:29
Charleston or Savannah would be my choices. Both really cool old southern towns.

chuckman
02-28-17, 13:49
Charleston or Savannah would be my choices. Both really cool old southern towns.

I love both, and really like the area about halfway between, in the Beaufort, SC area.....

Dist. Expert 26
02-28-17, 14:27
Wilmington isn't bad depending on which end of town you're in. The small towns north on 17 are fairly quiet but still within 30-45 minutes of the city.

It does get cold though. Like bitter, chill to the bone cold.

Caeser25
02-28-17, 14:29
Lol, actually I have. It is bad. My wife's best friend is in Morgantown, and we've spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh (because it isn't Morgantown). The Va Beach area is very spread out, though, and it takes forever to get anywhere. If you like the beach without traffic, the NC outer banks is the ticket. Seasonal traffic can be tough, but still it ain't bad, compared to Pittsburgh or Va Beach. But NC beaches aren't as warm as they are further south.

Oh, lol. Well I was thinking more towards Sandbridge area, a little more inland of course. Anywhere south of Oceana basically.

Looks like I got some traveling to do.

chuckman
02-28-17, 14:44
Oh, lol. Well I was thinking more towards Sandbridge area, a little more inland of course. Anywhere south of Oceana basically.

Looks like I got some traveling to do.

That area is nice. Too much further south and you really get into the sticks. That's not a bad area, and once you learn the roads you can zoom south or west. The downside is trying to get there up to 64 to go northwest. It's not far mileage-wise, but often bumper-to-bumper.

Averageman
02-28-17, 14:56
What do you know about the Mississippi Gulf Coast region?

chuckman
02-28-17, 15:07
What do you know about the Mississippi Gulf Coast region?

I really like that area. I have a lot of family down there, one who owns a pizza shop:

https://www.facebook.com/brooklynpizza.gulfport/

(My cousin and her husband in the middle of the pic).

The whole vibe south of I-10 is different than north of the interstate. I have given thought to moving down to be closer to them, but then I would be closer to family I do not like as well.

I love coastal living. I like where I am, and if it wasn't for my wife's family keeping us here, we'd be at the coast.

sevenhelmet
02-28-17, 15:10

+1 for Charleston. I can't believe I forgot to mention that.

The MS gulf coast is super-redneck and very poor. Pensacola is fairly redneck too, but there are places where you can avoid it, and the beaches, boating, fishing and diving are fantastic (and FL gun laws are very permissive.)

LoboTBL
02-28-17, 15:13
Give Hilton Head Island a once over.

GH41
02-28-17, 16:22
I grew up in Savannah. I lived on Tybee during my mid 20s - mid 30s and have lived on Hilton Head for the last 30 years (married). If I were still single I would still be at Tybee! Small town beaches attract young divorcees and MILFs during the off season. I wouldn't trade my 10 years on Tybee for my 30 years on HHI.

Outlander Systems
02-28-17, 17:11
Savannah. No questions asked.

If I'm still alive in 7 years, my ass is moving to Sav-Town and living on a Jenneau boat.

jpmuscle
02-28-17, 17:16
There's always Club One and Heckle and Jekyll Island
I loveeeeee Jekyll. Simon's is meh

Firefly
02-28-17, 17:36
Savannah. No questions asked.

If I'm still alive in 7 years, my ass is moving to Sav-Town and living on a Jenneau boat.

I suppose I will see you at Club One as well.

Actually, it is an interesting place. I'm pretty sure legit werewolves and vampires live there though

Outlander Systems
02-28-17, 17:40
Bar Bar and Churchills are where I used to get mah Crunk on.

Vinnie Van Go-Gos is where one must go for a solid slice.

Firefly
02-28-17, 17:42
VINNIE VAN GO GOS!!!

I love that place!

Outlander Systems
02-28-17, 17:47
VVGs is the jam.

It reminds me of the type of place Pirates would congregate.

VINNIE VAN GO GOS!!!

I love that place!

Firefly
02-28-17, 17:57
VVGs is the jam.

It reminds me of the type of place Pirates would congregate.

Indeed. There's still a bit of salty boho life there. Hell any time I went I would walk all downtown and it had this older seediness to it. Great to people watch. They even have these old haberdasheries and this one old toy store with like restored tin toys from the 40s that cost thousands of dollars.

Occasionally you still find freaky deaky chicks that don't shave and are uninhibited or legit goth chicks.

Still, I keeps muh Glock 21 on because of ghouls hepped up on that mess.

I haven't been in like 4 years.....I need to ameliorate that

Outlander Systems
02-28-17, 18:58
#M4CSavannahRoadTrip

Pibbskis, Mtn. Dew, and Benson & Hedges for all parties involved.

Watrdawg
02-28-17, 19:04
Charleston is nice! My son attends The Citadel and we spend a good bit of time down there. I went to college at UNC-Wilmington and lived on the beach in Wrightsville Beach NC. I spent many a morning walking out and hitting the waves at sun up missing quite a few classes surfing. Both places have great restaurants and a cool night scene. Just depends upon what you want to do.

hotrodder636
02-28-17, 19:21
I lived in Charleston for 6 years as a late 20's single male...great place!

JoshNC
02-28-17, 21:24
Charleston. No contest. Great weather. Outstanding food. SMOKING hot women with southern charm and hospitality.

tb-av
02-28-17, 21:26
Why not Virginia.

It's just not great beach territory. The traffic aside on the weekends... and btw... I64 on a weekend in the summer is basicaly backed up from VB to RIC airport in Richmond. Once you make it to say Newport News then you also get all the traffic of people that have places on the rivers and Ches. Bay.

When VB is in swing you can't put a postage stamp down. It's only a little further to Outer Banks where the beaches are nicer and the fishing is better. Plus if you want to go for a different feel the upper outer Banks are different from the southern NC coast.

We stopped going to VB beaches back when I was younger than you and I live here in Richmond. Now I'm twice your age. You will never see the Gulf Steam on shore in VA but you will see it in NC and once you get down to say Emerald Isle I think that's why they named it that.. for the green water.

NC has the Pamlico sound as well. Also lots of trainers down in NC if you like to take classes. NC still gets cold enough so you don;t have those bugs that are as long as your fingers but it still has that tropical-ish feel to a degree. But also it's like a quiet fishing village too with inshore and offshore offerings.

Like I said I live in VA and the beaches here were always like a beach in the city to me. You get down into NC and it feels like you are in a different climate. Only the very northern section sorta feels like VA beaches but even that is 4WD access only and that's to the houses as well.

I guess you could say that if FL is too touristy and too spoken for then VA is just not beachy enough. Which is pretty much why you have the RedNeck Riviera which is sort of NC+SC+GA

Check out Topsail Beach & Emerald Isle ( kinda family gulf stream water, picturesque ), Hatteras( offshore fishing or surf fishing), Killdevil Hills ( almost beach suburban, historic ), Duck ( $$, little shops, very laid back ), Corolla ( 4WD beach homes ) all of that is in NC and it's all very different. VA doesn't have anything like that and you are only talking about 3 to 5 hours more from central VA.

I think like someone said about central NC area. That should be your northernmost point. Now don't ask me how you get a job on the Carolina coast because I have no idea.

chuckman
03-01-17, 08:02
It's just not great beach territory. The traffic aside on the weekends... and btw... I64 on a weekend in the summer is basicaly backed up from VB to RIC airport in Richmond. Once you make it to say Newport News then you also get all the traffic of people that have places on the rivers and Ches. Bay.

When VB is in swing you can't put a postage stamp down. It's only a little further to Outer Banks where the beaches are nicer and the fishing is better. Plus if you want to go for a different feel the upper outer Banks are different from the southern NC coast.

We stopped going to VB beaches back when I was younger than you and I live here in Richmond. Now I'm twice your age. You will never see the Gulf Steam on shore in VA but you will see it in NC and once you get down to say Emerald Isle I think that's why they named it that.. for the green water.

NC has the Pamlico sound as well. Also lots of trainers down in NC if you like to take classes. NC still gets cold enough so you don;t have those bugs that are as long as your fingers but it still has that tropical-ish feel to a degree. But also it's like a quiet fishing village too with inshore and offshore offerings.

Like I said I live in VA and the beaches here were always like a beach in the city to me. You get down into NC and it feels like you are in a different climate. Only the very northern section sorta feels like VA beaches but even that is 4WD access only and that's to the houses as well.

I guess you could say that if FL is too touristy and too spoken for then VA is just not beachy enough. Which is pretty much why you have the RedNeck Riviera which is sort of NC+SC+GA

Check out Topsail Beach & Emerald Isle ( kinda family gulf stream water, picturesque ), Hatteras( offshore fishing or surf fishing), Killdevil Hills ( almost beach suburban, historic ), Duck ( $$, little shops, very laid back ), Corolla ( 4WD beach homes ) all of that is in NC and it's all very different. VA doesn't have anything like that and you are only talking about 3 to 5 hours more from central VA.

I think like someone said about central NC area. That should be your northernmost point. Now don't ask me how you get a job on the Carolina coast because I have no idea.

My grandmother had a place on Topsail. Great beach. Even peak season very reasonable and manageable, much more so than Emerald Isle. Plus, 20-30 minutes from Wilmington is nice.

WS6
03-01-17, 08:14
If you were early 30s, single and wanted to move to a warmer climate by the beach, where would you go? Anywhere from Florida to Virginia.

That was me, except I didn't move to the beach. If I had wanted the beach, I likely would have gone for Florida, but I hate the beach.

HCrum87hc
03-01-17, 12:17
My wife and I (30 yo) lived in Beaufort, SC for 3 years after we got married before moving back to the SC upstate. We enjoyed it a lot and may eventually retire down there, but that's decades off. My parents plan to buy a house on Fripp Island in the near future, so we may be spending more time down there for years to come. If I were single, however, I'd probably move to the Charleston area. It's a bit more modern with more stuff to do. Beaufort is right between Savannah and Charleston, which was nice. If you move to the SC lowcountry, you will want a boat. I hated not having a boat and not living on the water. It killed me to drive over those inland waters and marshes and not be able to explore and fish them.

ramairthree
03-01-17, 12:24
Savannah, GA.

I was going to say this.

I met my wife there after I had been in the Rangers a few years.
She grew up on Burnside Island on Moon River.

But then I started thinking, it's hard to actually live on the beach/Tybee there and be near anywhere to work.

Maybe a little further North or South?

Renegade
03-01-17, 12:28
GA/SC or East of Destin/FL.

jondoe297
03-01-17, 12:39
The Gulf Coast of Florida, or Vero/Melbourne/Ft. Pierce on the Atlantic side.

Scrubber3
03-01-17, 13:23
#M4CSavannahRoadTrip

Say When.

GTF425
03-01-17, 13:26
I was going to say this.

I met my wife there after I had been in the Rangers a few years.
She grew up on Burnside Island on Moon River.

But then I started thinking, it's hard to actually live on the beach/Tybee there and be near anywhere to work.

Maybe a little further North or South?

For what it's worth, Pooler is blowing up right now and combine the short commute to downtown, Statesboro, and Richmond Hill with a low cost of living and it's a viable option for anyone looking in to the area.

GTF425
03-01-17, 13:30
#M4CSavannahRoadTrip

I'm in so long as we include Kevin Barry's in the plan.

Scrubber3
03-01-17, 13:42
I'm in so long as we include Kevin Barry's in the plan.

Yes!!

Firefly
03-01-17, 13:55
SPRING BREAK!!

also

SHOTGUN!!

Scrubber3
03-01-17, 15:06
Wait a sec, we need to think this over. Are we meeting there or roadtripping from our own AOs or convoying?

GTF425
03-01-17, 15:38
Wait a sec, we need to think this over. Are we meeting there or roadtripping from our own AOs or convoying?

It'd definitely be easiest for you to hop on 95 and meet us in Savannah. I'd be down to let the ATL bros hop in my Jeep and just take the one vic together.

Scrubber3
03-01-17, 15:55
It'd definitely be easiest for you to hop on 95 and meet us in Savannah. I'd be down to let the ATL bros hop in my Jeep and just take the one vic together.

It's only about 4 hours, That's an easy trip. I'll likely stay a night.

Outlander Systems
03-01-17, 16:42
Depends on Firefly, Eurodouche, GTF425. I just put bugs in ears. They're the dudes that make ish happen.

Say When.

jpmuscle
03-01-17, 16:46
This is BS. Y'all should have done this when I was at FLETC...

Outlander Systems
03-01-17, 16:48
Bro.

Your performance would have suffered bigly.

Firefly
03-01-17, 16:52
Depends on Firefly, Eurodouche, GTF425. I just put bugs in ears. They're the dudes that make ish happen.

Aprilish is better for me barring some mishap. I still want my wrist to heal and be at least at 85%

Caeser25
03-01-17, 17:00
I telecommute part time but boss pretty much gave me the go ahead in my 1 on 1 last week for full time to include relocating so a job is not an issue. I was thinking VA Beach area since it's still a shortish drive for family and friends to come visit whenever they want. That was really the only reason it was on my list.

Scrubber3
03-02-17, 05:41
I telecommute part time but boss pretty much gave me the go ahead in my 1 on 1 last week for full time to include relocating so a job is not an issue. I was thinking VA Beach area since it's still a shortish drive for family and friends to come visit whenever they want. That was really the only reason it was on my list.
That, to me would be the deciding factor...

Eurodriver
03-02-17, 06:23

I'm down any weekend beginning Apr 1 assuming the attendees can withstand my lack of temperament and maturity.

Eurodriver
03-02-17, 06:30

Apple maps is saying 8hrs from your AO to Savannah. That's not too bad, but with your schedule it might be :(

#2k17M4CRoadTripToRiverStreet

GTF425
03-02-17, 07:57
assuming the attendees can withstand my lack of temperament and maturity.

Those are your best qualities.

Scrubber3
03-02-17, 08:41
I'm down any weekend beginning Apr 1 assuming the attendees can withstand my lack of temperament and maturity.

I will leave my Temperament and Maturity at home then as well...

So who is going be the responsible adult?

Not it!

GTF425
03-02-17, 08:51
So as to not keep posting in this thread, for anyone wanting to bro down in Savannah, shoot me a PM. We can hammer out specific details in private.

For the sake of starting the discussion: either the weekend of April 15th, 22nd, or 29th will work for me. Once we get a list of dudes who want to meet up, we'll vote on a weekend and go from there.

Eurodriver
03-02-17, 09:00
I will leave my Temperament and Maturity at home then as well...

So who is going be the responsible adult?

Not it!

Look like this guy is gonna be the responsible one

So as to not keep posting in this thread, for anyone wanting to bro down in Savannah, shoot me a PM. We can hammer out specific details in private.

For the sake of starting the discussion: either the weekend of April 15th, 22nd, or 29th will work for me. Once we get a list of dudes who want to meet up, we'll vote on a weekend and go from there.

Scrubber3
03-02-17, 09:17
Look like this guy is gonna be the responsible one

I suppose I can take first shift.

Caeser25
03-02-17, 14:18
That, to me would be the deciding factor...

I thought so too but the more I think about it, the warmer weather of GA or SC are probably more what I want.

Lincoln7
03-02-17, 17:08
I've lived in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (VB, Norfolk, etc) for the last 15 years. There's definitely always something to do, the beaches are pretty good, weather is a good balance, etc. But if you're single, I gotta say that the guy/girl ratio here is garbage. There's so much military in the area (which is what brought me here in the first place) that it's all out of whack. Just my opinion: I'd go further south if I were you (NC or SC would be my choices).