PDA

View Full Version : French sharpshooter ND during president's speech

platoonDaddy
02-28-17, 12:41
Holy shit, how in the hell does this happen?

A French police sniper has accidentally shot and injured two people during a speech by President Hollande.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39121997?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Update: The sharpshooter was on a roof about a hundred metres away from a tent where Mr Hollande was inaugurating a new fast train line in the western town of Villognon.

A waiter and a train company employee were wounded, one in the leg and the other in the ankle, local media reports.

The safety on the marksman's rifle was reportedly off and the shot was fired while he was changing position, Sud-Ouest reported.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-police-sniper-accident-shoots-two-president-francois-hollande-speech-villognon-latest-a7604421.html

daniel87
02-28-17, 12:45
Maybe its one of those remington 700 rifles with the saftey/trigger issue.

This is bad either way.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Firefly
02-28-17, 12:55
Merde! Il achete tout a le bouqet de Oopsie Daisies....

chuckman
02-28-17, 13:12
"I swear, I was just minding my own business when......"

daniel87
02-28-17, 13:34
"I swear, I was just minding my own business when......"
Followed by

.... i swear it just went off

soulezoo
02-28-17, 13:50
Good thing he's a bad shot. Certainly not up to Marine standards. Even a ND from Carlos Hathcock would be fatal!

Arik
02-28-17, 13:53
"A police sharpshooter accidentally wounded two people as French President Francois Hollande was giving a speech in the south-west of France on Tuesday, a police source said.

The shooter was on a roof about a hundred meters (109 yards) from a tent where Hollande was speaking. During a change of position his gun fired accidentally."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/french-police-sharpshooter-accidentally-wounds-two-during-presidents-184846020.html

Oh man is someone going to be demoted. Being a 100m from the president he could have ushered in the new President Obama!!!!

See what I did there!?! :D

Luckily only 2 wounded and no dead. Wouldn't that rifle be on safe till ready to fire?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

soulezoo
02-28-17, 13:54
Another thread in progress already

Arik
02-28-17, 13:54
Yep sorry just saw it

Please move/merge/delete

TAZ
02-28-17, 13:55
Whatever God that dude prays to he best start now and hope something is seriously broken inside his rifle.

tehpwnag3
02-28-17, 13:58
This was actually the first thing that came to mind.

Maybe its one of those remington 700 rifles with tge saftey/trigger issue.

Arik
02-28-17, 14:01
Now you know why they have to import foreigners for their special forces

Det-Sog
02-28-17, 14:12
Failed the drop and run test.

soulezoo
02-28-17, 14:19
I wonder if it was Inspector Clouseau?

wildcard600
02-28-17, 14:49
Aller les Boches !!!

daniel87
02-28-17, 14:57
If they hold a parade...

soulezoo
02-28-17, 15:11
From now on, in order to promote safety, all French snipers will be issued a broomstick, painted black, with a little flag on a spring that come out and display "bang". The bad guys will then just grab their chest and fall down for proper apprehension. That way bad guys will be safe too.

Dienekes
02-28-17, 15:11
How do you say "Oops" in French?

Disregard...it was probably a lot of "Merdes".

Oh, merde. Firefly beat me to it on the other thread.

DirectTo
02-28-17, 15:42
If it is, I suspect the French will be dumping them overnight for something local in variety.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-28-17, 15:57
Sounds like he was putting it down on a table or something?

This is why I don't like it when LEOs use rifle scopes as spotting scopes. See it in the pics a lot in Ferguson. Get off the scope and use something else unless you are looking to actively engage someone.

sevenhelmet
02-28-17, 16:05
French + Police + Sniper. Asked, and answered.

Reminds me of the old joke about a French cook, German Engineer, and British Cop being someone's idea of heaven. You can imagine what hell was...

SteyrAUG
02-28-17, 16:43

This is why I don't like it when LEOs use rifle scopes as spotting scopes. See it in the pics a lot in Ferguson. Get off the scope and use something else unless you are looking to actively engage someone.

Yep. drives me crazy every time I see it, but I still see it a lot.

Firefly
02-28-17, 17:26

F ing THIS.

There are a few winners on TOS who advocate using a rifle scope as a spotting scope. Not just no, but HELL NO. Binos from Wally World work just as well. Stay off the gun until you absolutely need to be on it.

If you wouldn't hold someone at gunpoint at 10 yards away then you damn sure dont need to hold a rifle on them at 100

TAZ
02-28-17, 17:39
Doesn't sound like he was on the scope. Even if he was ill cut some slack towards the VIP countersnipers for scanning their sectors while the VIP is on deck. It's not like they will have plenty of time to get on the scope before things go south.

Firefly
02-28-17, 17:50
Doesn't sound like he was on the scope. Even if he was ill cut some slack towards the VIP countersnipers for scanning their sectors while the VIP is on deck. It's not like they will have plenty of time to get on the scope before things go south.

Well yeah....its a special case but thats why you got your homeboy on the Zeiss spotting for you.

Meh, shit happens. I dunno what rifle it was but if it were a frog FR-F1, that would be cosmically amusing

ForTehNguyen
02-28-17, 17:54
his revolver discharged, not the rifle

Firefly
02-28-17, 17:59
his revolver discharged, not the rifle

.........MWAHAAAHAAHAHAAAA!

It's really not funny but all I can say is "Damn, son"

platoonDaddy
02-28-17, 18:11
The sharpshooter was on a roof about a hundred metres away from a tent where Mr Hollande was inaugurating a new fast train line in the western town of Villognon.

A waiter and a train company employee were wounded, one in the leg and the other in the ankle, local media reports.

The safety on the marksman's rifle was reportedly off and the shot was fired while he was changing position, Sud-Ouest reported.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-police-sniper-accident-shoots-two-president-francois-hollande-speech-villognon-latest-a7604421.html

daniel87
02-28-17, 20:01
Platoondaddy if thats true... major f up by him

SteyrAUG
02-28-17, 20:02
F ing THIS.

There are a few winners on TOS who advocate using a rifle scope as a spotting scope. Not just no, but HELL NO. Binos from Wally World work just as well. Stay off the gun until you absolutely need to be on it.

If you wouldn't hold someone at gunpoint at 10 yards away then you damn sure dont need to hold a rifle on them at 100

Not only that, but after a certain amount of time the eye strain really messes with you and makes you far less effective. I'd rather park behind the rifle and scan with some high magnification binos for better overall picture.

The only time you should be cross hairing somebody is like a hostage situation and you plan to shoot them imminently. I know some guys who run the rifle like a spotting scope with the bolt open, but to me it's still just as easy to put the binos down and find the problem with the rifle.

RazorBurn
02-28-17, 20:36
So much for never fired and only dropped once.... :D

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-28-17, 21:23
So much for never fired and only dropped once.... :D

And a two-fer! Might have won a war if this guy had been around before.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-28-17, 21:29

My point was more that guns go off when you don't plan on them going off (you know what I mean). If you are scoping someone and something goes wrong.... I don't even care if you take the bolt out (why you would do this in a situation where you might have to shoot someone is beyond me. Either you are there because someone might need an instant ballistic infusion or you are looking at people. If you are taking the bolt out, you don't need a gun. It's not like these guy are humping over the Himalayas and every once counts.)

Look with your eyes, not barrels.

Rayrevolver
02-28-17, 21:40
I am just surprised Hollande was still standing there after hearing a rifle shot 100 yards away. And then kept on speaking...

FlyingHunter
02-28-17, 21:45
Subsequent to this event, has France formally surrendered?

soulezoo
02-28-17, 21:49
I am just surprised Hollande was still standing there after hearing a rifle shot 100 yards away. And then kept on speaking...

That's because he's never heard a gunshot in his life. After all, he was "speechin" so he probably thought that it was just a bottle of Don Perignon going off.

Moose-Knuckle
03-01-17, 05:35
I'm just shocked to learn they actually have live ammo.

Joelski
03-01-17, 05:51

This is bad either way.

Sacre bleu! yale halisi kutomba ??

Oh wait.... thats Swahili....

"Uh, sorry 'bout that! Just walk it off, you'll be okay!" [emoji106]

Merde! Il achete tout a le bouqet de Oopsie Daisies....