PDA

View Full Version : 18 U.S.C. § 922

ClassIIIGunsmith
02-28-17, 20:51
18 U.S.C. § 922 needs to be repealed and I don't think that just one voice will get it done. I need y'alls support to get it done. 922 makes importing parts kits illegal to assemble without using a minimum number of US parts. It also bans the ownership of AP ammunition that is newly manufactured. It has a long list of banned and formally legal actions.

SteyrAUG
02-28-17, 22:31
It would be far more effective to target the "sporter clause" within the 1968 GCA.

This would have an effect of eliminating everything banned from import or manufacture because "ATF has determined..." nonsense. More importantly, changes to the 68 GCA have happened before, most notably the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act. Additionally, if left in place, even if you got rid of 18 U.S.C. § 922 they could simply pass some similar restriction using the "sporter clause."

Moose-Knuckle
03-01-17, 05:41
Has anyone ever been prosecuted under that statute?

The burden of proof is on the .gov so how can they prove beyond a reasonable doubt the origin of XYZ unmarked parts?

JoshNC
03-01-17, 11:57
It would be far more effective to target the "sporter clause" within the 1968 GCA.

This would have an effect of eliminating everything banned from import or manufacture because "ATF has determined..." nonsense. More importantly, changes to the 68 GCA have happened before, most notably the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act. Additionally, if left in place, even if you got rid of 18 U.S.C. § 922 they could simply pass some similar restriction using the "sporter clause."

This is the correct answer. Removal of the Sporting Clause is the single most important pro-2a offensive.

SteyrAUG
03-01-17, 15:37
Has anyone ever been prosecuted under that statute?

The burden of proof is on the .gov so how can they prove beyond a reasonable doubt the origin of XYZ unmarked parts?

I don't think so, but if you get nailed for something else I'm sure they'd be glad to tack it on. But more importantly, it is the reason you can't get parts kits with barrels and a lot of other imported items any more.

CleverNickname
03-01-17, 20:11
18 U.S.C. § 922 needs to be repealed and I don't think that just one voice will get it done. I need y'alls support to get it done. 922 makes importing parts kits illegal to assemble without using a minimum number of US parts. It also bans the ownership of AP ammunition that is newly manufactured. It has a long list of banned and formally legal actions.

While I don't disagree that the vast majority if not the entirety of 18 USC 922 needs to be repealed, we haven't been able to remove silencers from the NFA and make them title I yet, let alone do something like repeal 18 USC 922(r) or 922(o). If you think we're anywhere near close to repealing the entirety of 18 USC 922, you're high.

SteyrAUG
03-01-17, 22:13
While I don't disagree that the vast majority if not the entirety of 18 USC 922 needs to be repealed, we haven't been able to remove silencers from the NFA and make them title I yet, let alone do something like repeal 18 USC 922(r) or 922(o). If you think we're anywhere near close to repealing the entirety of 18 USC 922, you're high.

In 1986 we removed almost half of the 68 GCA stuff, things nobody even remembers everyone being subjected to.

It would be so simply to simply remove the sporter clause provision and then "poof" every thing based upon the "sporter test" is magically eliminated.

1984 Moisin Nagant 91/30s and SKS rifles would be considered one of the rarest firearms you could have in your collection, and basically the only way you would have one is if it was a Vietnam war trophy gun. That is because before 1986 you could not import any military surplus firearm thanks to the 68 GCA.