PDA

View Full Version : My 5.56 SPR: Will it still have a Purpose after the LR-308 is Built

RobertTheTexan
02-28-17, 23:50
Hi guys,

As the title suggests I'm curious if you think my 5.56 SPR will still have a purpose once I finish building my LR-308. Right now my SPR is my intermediate to long range precision weapon, obviously within the capabilities of the caliber, the ammo I use, and most importantly, my capabilities behind the glass. (Or lack thereof.)

When I finished the 18" LR-308, will I still have a need for little brother?

As an aside, I'm not only concerned with the two is one, one is none adage. But is there a purpose or gap I'm missing that my 5.56 SPR can provide coverage for? Both 5.56 and LR-308 will be suppressed.

Thanks

RTT

bfk4lyfe
03-01-17, 00:33
The 5.56 will weigh about half as much, so there's that... Depends what you're doing with them I guess.

Kain
03-01-17, 00:43
No, no purpose, send it up this way and I'll be sure to put the ol' girl out to a proper pasture. ;) :jester:

No, seriously, lighter weight is the first thing that popped into my head. Second would be cheaper practice ammo if you are working on long range, yes it might dope different than .308 but considering cost difference in ammo, even reloads it is a consideration, as would be it as a option for a lighter weight, lower recoil trainer if you were working with a younger pup, if you have children on precision shooting. Next, would be possible magazine and ammo interchangeability, if one wishes to look at the inevitable what if the shit hits the fan comments, with others.

Its a tool, it may have a mission that will overlap with the .308 but hey, it still works, still fills a role. Don't go shipping her off quite yet. Though if you don't wish to head that advice, I'll give her a home, have room in my safe after all. Lol.

JC5188
03-01-17, 04:10
The purpose my 5.56 served only revealed itself after I realized a $1.50 flew out of the barrel every time I pulled the trigger on my 308 [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappabear
03-01-17, 04:14
I tend to agree. I honestly think most urban sniper work would be better served with 5.56. And I think part of that is it so much easier to shoot well. A 308 gas gun can be very accurate, but kicks, spits, bounces all the while making precision work harder. Very much doable though. One could easily argue either way though.

Weight, cost of ammo, fun says keep both. I love my LMT MWS, so Im not a hater.

PB

hotrodder636
03-01-17, 05:15
I think it still has a place. Weight and more controllable being the top two pros.
I went backwards..started out with n LR-308 and then put together a MK12 Mod 1.

gamewarden
03-01-17, 07:56
My MSTN SPR may be my favorite rifle (6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun is growing on me). SPR is so easy to shoot, light weight, my mechanics are better on the smaller frame, and you can easily use it at close range if need be. Don't get me wrong I really like my 7.62 LaRue but it's a different animal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gaijin
03-01-17, 08:53
I look at it as having a framing hammer and trim/finish hammer.

pyzik
03-01-17, 08:57
Hmm. I am finding myself in a similar situation.
I have just finishing up an 18" SPR concept rifle and at the same time starting a .308 build.
Been trying to figure out what I want to make this .308 into. I bigger bore SPR-ish rifle or a 308 AR battle rifle.

The struggle is real.

RobertTheTexan
03-01-17, 13:29
No, no purpose, send it up this way and I'll be sure to put the ol' girl out to a proper pasture. ;) :jester:

No, seriously, lighter weight is the first thing that popped into my head. Second would be cheaper practice ammo if you are working on long range, yes it might dope different than .308 but considering cost difference in ammo, even reloads it is a consideration, as would be it as a option for a lighter weight, lower recoil trainer if you were working with a younger pup, if you have children on precision shooting. Next, would be possible magazine and ammo interchangeability, if one wishes to look at the inevitable what if the shit hits the fan comments, with others.

Its a tool, it may have a mission that will overlap with the .308 but hey, it still works, still fills a role. Don't go shipping her off quite yet. Though if you don't wish to head that advice, I'll give her a home, have room in my safe after all. Lol.

Thanks for the offer bro.I passed the offer/opportunity along to her, but she prefers Texas and she's got a thing going with one of my SBR's...Maybe I'll get another Recce out of that torrid relationship. Straight up. That was funny.

But you hit some great points. I do have a boy (10) who is getting into shooting, and my SPR does shoot as smooth as butter..
I do get your point about being a tool. That was numero uno lesson my mentor taught me. Have a purpose for your weapon. know that on the front end of the build not after you've built something you may or may not actually need.

All very solid points. Appreciate it.

RobertTheTexan
03-01-17, 14:52
Hmm. I am finding myself in a similar situation.
I have just finishing up an 18" SPR concept rifle and at the same time starting a .308 build.
Been trying to figure out what I want to make this .308 into. I bigger bore SPR-ish rifle or a 308 AR battle rifle.

The struggle is real.

I exchanged some PM's with a guy who posted in the AR-10/LR-308 Build Thread. By the way, it is a great thread with a lot of knowledge I recommend checking it out if you haven't already. But one of the thread posters chose to go the battle rifle route with his LR-308. He initially was considering LMT's MWS, LaRue's OBR, and SCAR, but went the custom build route and he said he has no regrets. I pinged him to confirm what I thought his reasons were. THey were.

1. He wanted more knock down power than 5.56
2. He did not see himself shooting out to 600-800 yd. range in situation where he using his battle rifle.
3. He wanted to manage weight, so the 16" barrel makes for a more manageable/maneuverable AR.

One consideration, and I think it has bearing on his choices, is that I do believe this is his first and maybe only AR. So he's not like many of us, with several AR's, each designated for a role. So no cross caliber mag issues or multiple round purchasing etc.

I won't lie and say I have never considered a pinned and welded 14.5 in 7.62 because I have. Beastly.

pyzik
03-01-17, 15:44
I exchanged some PM's with a guy who posted in the AR-10/LR-308 Build Thread. By the way, it is a great thread with a lot of knowledge I recommend checking it out if you haven't already. But one of the thread posters chose to go the battle rifle route with his LR-308. He initially was considering LMT's MWS, LaRue's OBR, and SCAR, but went the custom build route and he said he has no regrets. I pinged him to confirm what I thought his reasons were. THey were.

1. He wanted more knock down power than 5.56
2. He did not see himself shooting out to 600-800 yd. range in situation where he using his battle rifle.
3. He wanted to manage weight, so the 16" barrel makes for a more manageable/maneuverable AR.

One consideration, and I think it has bearing on his choices, is that I do believe this is his first and maybe only AR. So he's not like many of us, with several AR's, each designated for a role. So no cross caliber mag issues or multiple round purchasing etc.

I won't lie and say I have never considered a pinned and welded 14.5 in 7.62 because I have. Beastly.
I glanced in the thread a while back. I need to peruse it some more.

I don't have any long range placed to shoot either. Not until I can become a member somewhere anyway, and every club is a drive.

I'm thinking a 16" with a 1-6 or similar.
This will be my only .308 and in the above configuration it can be sort of a jack of all trades in 30 cal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bfk4lyfe
03-01-17, 16:35
How about a 6.5 Grendel? I wish I researched that caliber before I spent the money on my 308.

nick84
03-01-17, 17:47
16 or 18" SPR can take most game no problem with the right ammo. No problems on 2 legged predators either, within reasonable ranges for offensive purposes and certainly within any range that would qualify as defensive use. An SPR, or good recce setup, and a 308 gas gun are definitely archetypes with a lot of overlap. Truth is though is that certain aspects of each will appeal to different people, or the same person on different days. If I were starting out, I start with the one that's cheaper to feed, and easier to maneuver. Get both, and see which one calls your name more often. You may just have to put them through some work to see what you're more naturally inclined to grab. Then shelve or sell the other.

To do it all again, I'd stay away from calibers that aren't 5.56, 7.62 pinko, or 7.62 NATO in semi-auto guns. Just my opinion, I like things to be kind of standardized and I'm tired of keeping track of 20 different kinds of ammo.

cougar_guy04
03-01-17, 19:17
To do it all again, I'd stay away from calibers that aren't 5.56, 7.62 pinko, or 7.62 NATO in semi-auto guns. Just my opinion, I like things to be kind of standardized and I'm tired of keeping track of 20 different kinds of ammo.
Im right there with you. I'm selling my only non 5.56/x39/x51 rifle right now. I want to experiment with the .260 Remington or 6.5 Creed and the .300 BLK eventually but the juice just isn't worth the squeeze at this point. I just don't think that there's anything I need a gun to do that couldn't be handled by an 11.5 or 16" 5.56 or a 16" 308 as far as gas guns go.

Kain
03-01-17, 19:33
Thanks for the offer bro.I passed the offer/opportunity along to her, but she prefers Texas and she's got a thing going with one of my SBR's...Maybe I'll get another Recce out of that torrid relationship. Straight up. That was funny.

But you hit some great points. I do have a boy (10) who is getting into shooting, and my SPR does shoot as smooth as butter..
I do get your point about being a tool. That was numero uno lesson my mentor taught me. Have a purpose for your weapon. know that on the front end of the build not after you've built something you may or may not actually need.

All very solid points. Appreciate it.

Lol. No problem. If you're rifles are like mine changes are you'll end up with them producing an AR pistol in the future. I know mine breed striped lowers.

And yeah, if you got a growing boy teaching him on a nice rifle isn't a bad thing, I mean you got daddy's rifle and junior's rifle. It just might spoil him some when it comes to shooting rifles though. I know if I started with a suppressed SPR I'd have been a spoiled little shit. Lol.

rjacobs
03-01-17, 20:52
I play with my 5.56 SPR out to 500 or 600. Beyond that I step into the 6.5creed in the big frame AR. Inside of 500(and honestly out to ~800, for me) the 6.5 creed is cheating and not really a challenge. Beyond 800 is when things get a lot more difficult so I dont really ever play inside of that with the 6.5 except for a few warm up shots when I hit the range since I dont shoot long range except every 2-3 months.

And it was already brought up: big frame guns cost a lot to shoot. 6.5 creed is ~70c a pull and I reload. .308 will be similar(depending on brass cost). precision 5.56 I think I am loading for 30c for 77g stuff.

RobertTheTexan
03-01-17, 23:08
How about a 6.5 Grendel? I wish I researched that caliber before I spent the money on my 308.

I thought about the 6.5 Grendel and even the 6.5 Creedmoor because they definitely have better ballistics than 7.62 NATO. I believe that both ballistics and shootability (is that even a word?) are superior. But as we used to say in Uncle Sam's Traveling Circus..."However- Comma", from my ex-military practical tactical viewpoint/mindset I believe there is wisdom in going the more common route of 7.62 NATO round. I can't think of a case when the zombie apocalypse comes where the Grendel or Creedmoor ammo would be more abundantly available. So in my mind the better ballistics are not worth the loss of commonality. I may be wrong in my thought process, but I need a plan and I need to stick to it and that's mah plan. :)

rjacobs
03-02-17, 13:28
6.5 grendel definitely does NOT have better ballistics than .308/7.62x51.

6.5 grendel is much more similiar to 300blk. Small frame AR stuff.

If you arent going to spend a lot of time past 800, than .308 is PLENTY good.

ESPECIALLY if you are not a reloader, although 6.5 creed is definitely becoming more and more main stream.

Benito
03-02-17, 14:46
The 5.56 will weigh about half as much, so there's that... Depends what you're doing with them I guess.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but yes they are lighter. A couple of pounds lighter is not half, but it does mae a difference.

The purpose my 5.56 served only revealed itself after I realized a $1.50 flew out of the barrel every time I pulled the trigger on my 308 [emoji846]

Please delete this in case someone's wife stumbles upon this fact.

pyzik
03-02-17, 15:45

Hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

militarymoron
03-02-17, 16:10
The way I look at it, there's nothing wrong with having multiple weapons that fill similar purposes, if you like shooting, 'accumulate' guns etc. Unless you're trying to narrow the herd down, consolidate, or only own guns as tools (and not as a hobby or the pure joy of shooting different types of weapons), then i wouldn't worry about it unless you really find the weapon sitting in the safe for years without being shot and you have no emotional attachment to it.
For .308 vs 5.56 SPR-ish rifles, I'd classify them as 'deer rifle' and 'varmit rifle'. While you could, you may not always want to use that deer rifle to shoot varmits. As others have mentioned here, the cost of .308 may be high enough to limit how much you'd want to shoot or plink, whereas a 5.56 will be easier on the wallet and make you worry less about the cost of 'fun' plinking.
Basically all my handguns have the same purpose, but I have multiple handguns because I like variety, and I plain like guns. Same goes for various rifles with overlapping or duplicate roles. If for some reason I had to downsize and I had to choose one or two; then I'd pick the most versatile ones that fit whatever my needs are at that time.

RobertTheTexan
03-02-17, 16:10
That's a bit of an exaggeration, but yes they are lighter. A couple of pounds lighter is not half, but it does mae a difference.

If my LR-308 weighs twice as much as my 5.56 SPR, I'm gonna be sporting some bigger guns totin it. That or a bad back. My current SPR weighs in about 23 lbs. lol

RobertTheTexan
03-02-17, 16:20
6.5 grendel definitely does NOT have better ballistics than .308/7.62x51.

You are correct I shouldn't have lumped them together.

Kain
03-02-17, 16:29
That or a bad back. My current SPR weighs in about 23 lbs. lol

Is that an exaggeration or what it really weighs? You sure it 5.56 and not a 20mm? I guess shit really is bigger in Texas.

RobertTheTexan
03-02-17, 16:36
The way I look at it, there's nothing wrong with having multiple weapons that fill similar purposes, if you like shooting, 'accumulate' guns etc. Unless you're trying to narrow the herd down, consolidate, or only own guns as tools (and not as a hobby or the pure joy of shooting different types of weapons), then i wouldn't worry about it unless you really find the weapon sitting in the safe for years without being shot and you have no emotional attachment to it.
For .308 vs 5.56 SPR-ish rifles, I'd classify them as 'deer rifle' and 'varmit rifle'. While you could, you may not always want to use that deer rifle to shoot varmits. As others have mentioned here, the cost of .308 may be high enough to limit how much you'd want to shoot or plink, whereas a 5.56 will be easier on the wallet and make you worry less about the cost of 'fun' plinking.
Basically all my handguns have the same purpose, but I have multiple handguns because I like variety, and I plain like guns. Same goes for various rifles with overlapping or duplicate roles. If for some reason I had to downsize and I had to choose one or two; then I'd pick the most versatile ones that fit whatever my needs are at that time.

I guess I'm a bit of both MM. My firearms are tools. They all have a purpose. But I absolutely love building a new AR. That's probably in truth why I am building this LR-308. I don't have a tactical purpose for an AR-15 hat I haven't already satisfied. So if I were laying on the proverbial couch I would come to the realization that I am in part building this 308 because I ran out of AR-15'a to build. (Gasp!!!!) Without building the same thing twice. This is easier to justify because it does fill a distance potential that my 5.56 doesn't fulfill with as much authority. As I write this I wonder if I will end up building that 14.5 LR-308, because for me part of the joy of ownership is knowing I built each one.

RobertTheTexan
03-02-17, 17:28
Is that an exaggeration or what it really weighs? You sure it 5.56 and not a 20mm? I guess shit really is bigger in Texas.

That is a true statement, but now that you have me thinking about it, I think I was remembering the weight of one of my chest rigs. My primary TT rig. I think my SPR was 12-13 lbs. I remember I was weighing a couple pieces of gear and probably got crossed up on my numbers.

militarymoron
03-02-17, 20:08
As I write this I wonder if I will end up building that 14.5 LR-308, because for me part of the joy of ownership is knowing I built each one.

I hear ya on that one. I thoroughly enjoy the assembly process. I put together a .308 AR simply because I purchased an 80% lower. I had the .308 role already filled by two FAL-type rifles; a para and a standard length, but what the hey.
I've been tinkering with AR's since the mid 80's, so I'm past the 'tool' phase and have different AR's with overlapping purposes just because I like them. A bit off-topic, but the most fun I've had putting together an AR was a retro-ish build. More so than any of my recent modern rifles. If you like building rifles and haven't yet done a retro build, I recommend you do it, just for the pure pleasure of putting one together. My retro is one of my favourite rifles to shoot: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access6.html#xm

RobertTheTexan
03-02-17, 22:59

I was off bro. I mean, let's be honest, it's no lightweight carbon fiber job, but thankfully I was indeed confused with TT chest rig weight.

The numbers are in...http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/robertestx/IMG_7074_zpscdh2eorj.jpg

And the culprit. See? You don't really want to add this ugly thing to your collection. It would be out of place. Like a trailer park hooker at a debutante ball.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B3_szFRHlzPWM3RGbjh5MllPTlk

RobertTheTexan
03-02-17, 23:30
I hear ya on that one. I thoroughly enjoy the assembly process. I put together a .308 AR simply because I purchased an 80% lower. I had the .308 role already filled by two FAL-type rifles; a para and a standard length, but what the hey.
I've been tinkering with AR's since the mid 80's, so I'm past the 'tool' phase and have different AR's with overlapping purposes just because I like them. A bit off-topic, but the most fun I've had putting together an AR was a retro-ish build. More so than any of my recent modern rifles. If you like building rifles and haven't yet done a retro build, I recommend you do it, just for the pure pleasure of putting one together. My retro is one of my favourite rifles to shoot: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access6.html#xm

THAT is one beautiful AR. I think I've already been bitten by the retro bug. It's not full on showing the symptoms, but in the back of my mind, probably since I figured out "Hey I can really build an excellent shooting AR!" that I began to consider building a "retro". Part of the retro appeal to me is building a weapon I've actually used. I know not everyone has been in that position, but I think if they were they'd probably understand the appeal. As a friend who owns a really nice 6920 says, "It's both nostalgic and a badass weapon." So if I go that route it would mean building an M60A2 MG. Just kidding. (I was assigned this weapon for a while.) But rather a M16A2, which was the weapon I was first assigned (Prior to being assigned an M4) I realize that technically it doesn't fall into the retro category since it's newer than the A1, but I would personally get more enjoyment out of building a weapon like or very similar to a rifle I was actually assigned and used.

Right now on my bench, I've got my LR-308, which I just got my barrel in today, so that's super exciting, and a couple of days ago I received a 16" 300BLK Faxon QPQ barrel with an Aero upper. So I'm going to just finish the 300BLK out using my spare parts, but I'm in no rush. I'm most interested in shooting it when I get my can out of NFA jail. But my focus will be putting my 308 together.

After that? Who knows! A quick trip to the doctor's couch may result in me going retro and putting together a M16A2, or I may go crazy and build another LR-308, and experience barrel shrinkage. Is there a pill for that?

Thanks for sharing the link to your retro. I really did enjoy reading it. I found it very cool that someone can go through their spare parts and pull out an A1 Carbine upper. That tells me that my spare parts bin is more like a spare parts shoebox.

I'm telling you MM, if I go from pure tactical utilitarian to gun-building enthusiast, I'm blaming you!!

Kain
03-02-17, 23:49
I was off bro. I mean, let's be honest, it's no lightweight carbon fiber job, but thankfully I was indeed confused with TT chest rig weight.

And the culprit. See? You don't really want to add this ugly thing to your collection. It would be out of place. Like a trailer park hooker at a debutante ball.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B3_szFRHlzPWM3RGbjh5MllPTlk

Lol. Whew, for a minute there I thought you were running around with a rifle with everything on it but the kitchen sink to get it up to 23 pounds.

And I think with a little makeup she'd be right at home with little recce sis.
Actually that a bit of an old picture. running Larue clips on now, and have a SSA trigger in her. If I get ambition tomorrow I'll grab some proper current pics of the girl.

Besides she don't hold a candle to ugly like this poor lower that I called abomination. No, i didn't tear it up but it fell to me to fix it.

RobertTheTexan
03-03-17, 01:24
Lol. Whew, for a minute there I thought you were running around with a rifle with everything on it but the kitchen sink to get it up to 23 pounds.
Nah, if it ain't got a purpose it doesn't go on. Basically, I run an optic, a light and something angley to slide my hand up against. Too poor to run an an/peq-15. And don't mount lights on SPR's.

And I think with a little makeup she'd be right at home with little recce sis.
Actually that a bit of an old picture. running Larue clips on now, and have a SSA trigger in her. If I get ambition tomorrow I'll grab some proper current pics of the girl.
I can see some little SBR's running around. I dig the LaRue clips as you can see in different colors.
Ambition on a Friday. Glad it isn't me that needs to stir up some ambition. I already gave at the clinic. But seriously, that's a solid looking setup. I like that ACOG, so definitely need to see the current pics on this one. You need to get up to speed on posting your pics online so we don't have to get a microscope to see your damn pics brother. :)

Besides she don't hold a candle to ugly like this poor lower that I called abomination. No, i didn't tear it up but it fell to me to fix it.

And abomination is EXACTLY the word that popped into my mind. Toe up! I mean, who does such cruelty to AR lowers??? I'd like to see what you do with this one and how it turns out.

JC5188
03-03-17, 04:24

Lol...it's how I "justified" my first 5.56. [emoji16]

militarymoron
03-03-17, 07:40
I'm telling you MM, if I go from pure tactical utilitarian to gun-building enthusiast, I'm blaming you!!

I wouldn't mind taking the blame for that one :)

By the way, here's the .308 that I put together on the 80% lower.

jethroUSMC
03-03-17, 07:58
Yes it will still serve a purpose.

Initially most shooters will not shoot the LR-308 as well as a 5.56 SPR - some get frustrated and give up and sell them, rather than putting in the time to learn to drive it properly - (i'm speaking from a precision perspective). LR-308 will magnify the slightest little imperfection in marksmanship fundamentals that a 5.56 SPR will give you a pass on. Keep the 5.56 to maintain your sanity while you determine what loads and the nuances of how your LR-308 likes to be driven. It took me about 3-4 weeks of focused practice to determine how to drive my LR-308 as well as a 5.56 SPR or nearly to the level of a bolt rifle.

pyzik
03-03-17, 08:59

That is great looking.
16" barrel with a 15" rail?

militarymoron
03-03-17, 09:17
That is great looking.
16" barrel with a 15" rail?
Thanks - it's a 14" Rainier Switch rail and Rainier 16" barrel. Rainier must measure the rail length at the top, not the bottom.

Kain
03-03-17, 20:59
Nah, if it ain't got a purpose it doesn't go on. Basically, I run an optic, a light and something angley to slide my hand up against. Too poor to run an an/peq-15. And don't mount lights on SPR's.

I can see some little SBR's running around. I dig the LaRue clips as you can see in different colors.
Ambition on a Friday. Glad it isn't me that needs to stir up some ambition. I already gave at the clinic. But seriously, that's a solid looking setup. I like that ACOG, so definitely need to see the current pics on this one. You need to get up to speed on posting your pics online so we don't have to get a microscope to see your damn pics brother. :)

And abomination is EXACTLY the word that popped into my mind. Toe up! I mean, who does such cruelty to AR lowers??? I'd like to see what you do with this one and how it turns out.

I try to run my guns as slick and light as possible, but while I love my irons only carbine for range and practice, optics, lights, and nicer slings do make life easier and more comfortable.

And since you bitched, I went to photobucket. Is is bad I had an account but never did anything with it? Don't answer that. Anyway, here is a current picture of the rifle. Sling and larue clips and all. I do fine her to be a nice shooting rifle. If memory serves I want to say around 10.5 pounds loaded. That was after I gutted the junk in the stock and stopped trying to carry a damn armorer's kit and bubble gum in the ACS. Seriously, was like a pound difference.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Kain8719/20170303_214535.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/Kain8719/media/20170303_214535.jpg.html)

And here she is with her more close quarter's/general purpose sister. And yes, both have SSA triggers cuz I like nice triggers and I cannot lie. And M600Us, because I can, and both shoot great.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Kain8719/20170303_214634.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/Kain8719/media/20170303_214634.jpg.html)

RobertTheTexan
03-03-17, 21:29

Outstanding LR-308. What 80 did you use? I've come very close to picking up one and may do so yet, just for GP.

militarymoron
03-03-17, 23:21
Outstanding LR-308. What 80 did you use? I've come very close to picking up one and may do so yet, just for GP.

Here's what I bought: http://www.80percentarms.com/collections/80-lowers/products/fde-billet-80-308-lower-receiver

RobertTheTexan
03-04-17, 00:29
I try to run my guns as slick and light as possible, but while I love my irons only carbine for range and practice, optics, lights, and nicer slings do make life easier and more comfortable.

And since you bitched, I went to photobucket. Is is bad I had an account but never did anything with it? Don't answer that. Anyway, here is a current picture of the rifle. Sling and larue clips and all. I do fine her to be a nice shooting rifle. If memory serves I want to say around 10.5 pounds loaded. That was after I gutted the junk in the stock and stopped trying to carry a damn armorer's kit and bubble gum in the ACS. Seriously, was like a pound difference.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Kain8719/20170303_214535.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/Kain8719/media/20170303_214535.jpg.html)

And here she is with her more close quarter's/general purpose sister. And yes, both have SSA triggers cuz I like nice triggers and I cannot lie. And M600Us, because I can, and both shoot great.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd452/Kain8719/20170303_214634.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/Kain8719/media/20170303_214634.jpg.html)

Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that. What can I say? I'm just proud that you actually remembered you had a photobucket account and remembered your login and password. Impressive friend. Very impressive. :cool: But to the tools from your toolbox. I like. Clean and to the point. All about the biniz. Nice background too by the way, but nicely done on your builds. If you decide you want some color in those index clips give me a shout, I'll mail you some variety. But that OD ACS? Very first stock I owned. Did a fair job of pulling out my beard hair though, but very solidly built.

Well I am digressing from my own thread, but since you showed me yours, I'm gonna have to show you mine. At least part of mine, it's only fair.
L to R, 12 LaRue barrel, 11.5 DD CHF, and 10.3 BA Hanson. They all have LMT BCGs in the process of swapping out LMT carriers for their enhanced carrier and keeping the standard L7A3D bolt. Mostly CMC triggers, but my 11.5 has a KAC trigger. I like the KAC, mostly after it's broken in, but it does make a good tactical trigger. Not too light that a hangup doesn't produce a misfire, but quick on the reset.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B3_szFRHlzPWZ3dtT0daZUp3YjQ

RobertTheTexan
03-04-17, 01:42
Here's what I bought: http://www.80percentarms.com/collections/80-lowers/products/fde-billet-80-308-lower-receiver

Thanks MM, I have a couple of their AR-15's. Those are gtg also.

mic2377
03-04-17, 06:35
Back to the original thread topic - I would never sell my 18" 5.56. My 308 AR is much better for true long-range shooting past 400 yards and is more useful for hunting. But, the 5.56 is so much easier to shoot well, especially from other especially other positions, as well as for spotting my own hits. It is cheaper to shoot too. It is my favorite rifle particularly with a can.

Despite the overlap they are two different tools and have their own role.

artoter
03-04-17, 21:31
Hi guys,

As the title suggests I'm curious if you think my 5.56 SPR will still have a purpose once I finish building my LR-308. Right now my SPR is my intermediate to long range precision weapon, obviously within the capabilities of the caliber, the ammo I use, and most importantly, my capabilities behind the glass. (Or lack thereof.)

When I finished the 18" LR-308, will I still have a need for little brother?

As an aside, I'm not only concerned with the two is one, one is none adage. But is there a purpose or gap I'm missing that my 5.56 SPR can provide coverage for? Both 5.56 and LR-308 will be suppressed.

Thanks

RTT

To me, there is always a purpose for every gun I own. I certainly don't see any reason you would want to get rid of it. JMHO

Doc. Holiday
03-06-17, 09:19
I think there is always a need for variety. There are folks that I know (as well as many here on this forum) that will crap on a SPR as they always will give first dibs to the .308 and say, "If you want to get anything done, ditch the 5.56 and go .308" in my opinion it's no different than the same conversation at 9mm vs .45 acp. Yes, they will both have their strengths and weaknesses.

In the SHTF situation, I would much rather have a 5.56 rather than my .308 due to bullet commonality, weight of the gun, and weight of ammo. Just my .02

Long story short that is never short.....enjoy both! They are just two different tools is all!

C-grunt
03-07-17, 02:08
I actually had this same conversation with an active duty Army sniper the other day. It started with him stating he didn't care for the CSASS rifle.

He said that he, as well as multiple other sniper teams, have gone back to the SPR type guns as their semi auto sniper systems. His reasoning was that the 5.56 guns were easier to shoot under 600 yards than the 308 gas guns. And anything out past 600 they were using the XM2010.

RobertTheTexan
03-07-17, 14:00
I think there is always a need for variety. There are folks that I know (as well as many here on this forum) that will crap on a SPR as they always will give first dibs to the .308 and say, "If you want to get anything done, ditch the 5.56 and go .308" in my opinion it's no different than the same conversation at 9mm vs .45 acp. Yes, they will both have their strengths and weaknesses.

In the SHTF situation, I would much rather have a 5.56 rather than my .308 due to bullet commonality, weight of the gun, and weight of ammo. Just my .02

Long story short that is never short.....enjoy both! They are just two different tools is all!

Doc, you are right. there are those in every crowd or forum. Usually most of them have never engaged a human target with either weapon. I find that odd. But truth is, I'm glad we didn't encounter any on this thread.(Although I would have enjoyed all the responses to some asinine comment like that.) Only Kain wanted me to get rid of the SPR, but that's because he wanted to take ownership of it. Crazy guy.

But to your point about .308 and 556. I don't really mix the two. I know I asked if the LR-308 was going to replace my SPR, but I already knew that SPR wasn't going anywhere. I really wanted to hear all the thoughts from the guys on why they thought I should or shouldn't keep it. It's like any other tool you or I own and use. There's a right time to use each. I don't teach my son how to whittle with my ESEE 6 or a combat knife. I teach him with a small Spyderco lockblade. I think AR's are similar in principle. There's a purpose for my SPR, and there's a purpose for my DMR. Sure there is some cross over between the two, but I am taking to heart the things I read here on the thread, about lower price/round. Shootability (if that's a word) etc. I took my 10 year old son out this weekend, and granted it was only bench shooting, but my boy LOVED shooting my SPR. It's the first time he's shot it. I have a couple lighter builds that shoot well that I normally work with him on, but he totally dug the SPR, the scope and the end result of his target. That just made me so proud how excited he was. That was one of the points also brought up. Shooting/training family.
And of course the bottom line, in the zombie apocalypse, you are absolutely right on commonality of round. That's why I did not go with a 6.5 Creedmoor. NATO or nuttin'!

RobertTheTexan
03-07-17, 14:41
I actually had this same conversation with an active duty Army sniper the other day. It started with him stating he didn't care for the CSASS rifle.

He said that he, as well as multiple other sniper teams, have gone back to the SPR type guns as their semi auto sniper systems. His reasoning was that the 5.56 guns were easier to shoot under 600 yards than the 308 gas guns. And anything out past 600 they were using the XM2010.

That's interesting C.. I wonder if it's because of the CSASS platform or caliber or both? I'm guessing they're using Mk12 Mod1's? Well personally, I can see them giving the Mk12 and the Remington a little more love. The fact they'd rather use their SPR and the Remington, rather than the HK, does make me smile. (No hatin' on me now. lol) What you're saying makes sense because it jibes with some of the comments made here, even though I'm not sure how many or if any of those who commented are/were snipers. But some of the common sense points are solid no matter what the occupation behind the glass right? The SPR is just a better caliber to shoot when you're in its capabilities. 2nd shot speed & accuracy, comfort, etc. etc. And when you need to go bigger. Go Bigger. 300WM has much better ballistics than 7.62, but also heavier and bigger kick, but I have read where they've had some nice success with the XM2010 across the pond. I think I'll go ahead and finish out my DMR though. Too vested to switch gears now. :cool:

Vegasshooter
03-12-17, 10:04
Great post, been a neat read. I like posts that are just fun, and no one jumps in and messes them up. This post is like a conversation we could all be having out at the shooting range.

I'll throw out another fun variable. How about when you have an SPR, a .308 gasser, AND a true long range 6.5 Creedmoor GA GAP-10? How does one decide then? I've broken it down to distance I'm likely to shoot that day. I figure it's 5.56 SPR for 500yds and in, my .308 out to 6-700yds (I have a 16" with a 1-8), and my 6.5 GAP takes me out past 1k. My best ever with my GAP was 1250yds. :-)
I just look at it like this: thank God we live in a country where we are allowed to have such serious dilemmas.
I love my 5.56 SPR, and my GAP 6.5, but if it ever came down to "only one", it would be really hard to get rid of my DD5V1 .308. It's compact enough for real CQB, but plenty accurate enough as a DMR out to 600 or so. That may be my favorite "all around" rifle.

RobertTheTexan
03-12-17, 17:42
Great post, been a neat read. I like posts that are just fun, and no one jumps in and messes them up. This post is like a conversation we could all be having out at the shooting range.

I'll throw out another fun variable. How about when you have an SPR, a .308 gasser, AND a true long range 6.5 Creedmoor GA GAP-10? How does one decide then? I've broken it down to distance I'm likely to shoot that day. I figure it's 5.56 SPR for 500yds and in, my .308 out to 6-700yds (I have a 16" with a 1-8), and my 6.5 GAP takes me out past 1k. My best ever with my GAP was 1250yds. :-)
I just look at it like this: thank God we live in a country where we are allowed to have such serious dilemmas.
I love my 5.56 SPR, and my GAP 6.5, but if it ever came down to "only one", it would be really hard to get rid of my DD5V1 .308. It's compact enough for real CQB, but plenty accurate enough as a DMR out to 600 or so. That may be my favorite "all around" rifle.

I just went to familiarize myself with the GAP-10. My Google-Fu resulted in some clothing store called "The GAP". I figured you didn't buy you weapon from them because they are libtards. Anyway, boy if your weapon looks anything like the GAP-10G2 on GA's website, then holy cow, that's quite a rifle, chambered in 6.5 CM? Lethal with free long distance calling. lol WHat scope do you have on your GA-10? The 6.5 Creedmoor is a hard round to beat, in for accuracy. I'm hoping to get a little more out of my DMR than 700 feet though. Speaking of which. I'm down to buying the rail. Everything else is ready.

Vegasshooter
03-12-17, 19:06
Hahahahaha, no, not Gap as in jeans, GA Precision GAP-10 in 6.5. I am running a Schmidt & Bender 5-25 PMII scope. I figured if I was going to go nig....go all the way big. �� I have really learned to shoot big bore AR-10's with this rifle.

I have come to look at the 6.5 CM as my 800-1200 yd. gun. My .308 will get me to 600ish yards, my 6.5 CM takes over after that. Just fun stuff to talk about and play with. Probably nothing I'll ever have to deal with in real life.

ranger56528
03-18-17, 00:24
I have a few of each and for me it's just a bit easier on my wallet to shoot the .556/.223 then the LR or 17s and if I want to reach out I bring out the 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor.
I think it's good thing to own at least 1 AR in .556/.223 and 1 AR in .308....And add more from there.

RetroRevolver77
04-02-17, 12:17
I own mostly surplus style .308's; FN, HK, and an LRB. I think you are better served with a precision semi-auto 5.56 and then go with a bolt gun .308 if you are wanting to reach out farther.

Inside of 600 meters I would prefer a 5.56 rifle anyway especially with all the modern loads they've come up with.

sasquatchoslav
04-13-17, 07:01
As an aside I think your SPR will still fill the same role you want it to now after you have the 308. I have some buddies who have every contingency conceivable covered....you know this when you have to 'walk' into their custom climate controlled gun room complete with dehumidifier! I've only recently gone to the 308AR full time it's my deer/hog/yote gun all 12 months . I can reload 308 for less than 99% of people buy quality .223 plinking ammo, put down anything at any conceivable range that may show up no matter how big and bring follow up shots quickly(why my bolt stays at home now). The last point is paramount and was the reason I leapt to the platform b/c when 10, 15, 20 or more hogs show up that is a sounder you want to take advantage of....hogs have gone from a nuisance to a serious problem. Heck if it's a single hog a 22mag will do b/c you can head/neck the first one, but once they scatter full tilt this old guy can't say he's aiming for head and neck! For me the 308AR was the biggest no brainer of all time can't believe I fought it as long as I did, but I'm also a big dummy. I still have an AR15, but I have not shot it since maybe June or July?

RobertTheTexan
04-16-17, 20:02
As an aside I think your SPR will still fill the same role you want it to now after you have the 308. I have some buddies who have every contingency conceivable covered....you know this when you have to 'walk' into their custom climate controlled gun room complete with dehumidifier! I've only recently gone to the 308AR full time it's my deer/hog/yote gun all 12 months . I can reload 308 for less than 99% of people buy quality .223 plinking ammo, put down anything at any conceivable range that may show up no matter how big and bring follow up shots quickly(why my bolt stays at home now). The last point is paramount and was the reason I leapt to the platform b/c when 10, 15, 20 or more hogs show up that is a sounder you want to take advantage of....hogs have gone from a nuisance to a serious problem. Heck if it's a single hog a 22mag will do b/c you can head/neck the first one, but once they scatter full tilt this old guy can't say he's aiming for head and neck! For me the 308AR was the biggest no brainer of all time can't believe I fought it as long as I did, but I'm also a big dummy. I still have an AR15, but I have not shot it since maybe June or July?

Having just finished my 308 this weekend and spent the morning shooting it. I can say that me and SGAMMO.com are going to be very good friends...

sasquatchoslav
04-17-17, 05:23
Having just finished my 308 this weekend and spent the morning shooting it. I can say that me and SGAMMO.com are going to be very good friends...

SG is awesome. I've tried probably close to 10 different flavors of their .308 offerings. Did a lot of testing with over 2MOA unacceptable. Tested in 24" bolt and 18" semi-auto. Was a fun experiment during the ammo scarcity that I'd probably not have done otherwise.

Flabbergasted
04-28-17, 23:26
I just finished a .308 build and am contemplating an SPRish build. My thought is, along with the cost of ammo being cheaper for 5.56 and the platform can save weight over a .308, that my .308 is intended to be used as a long range rifle, 500 yards and beyond. That's how I set it up. I plan on taking advantage of the distance I can get out of the .308 cartridge. The SPR that I plan on building would be for 150 to 400 yards( just throwing out numbers) and I would use my other ar setup and used for closer ranges. Also, there's nothing wrong with having multiple guns. Why not?