Prologue . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXgRlRao5I

Moose-Knuckle
03-01-17, 05:20
Trailer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

militarymoron
03-01-17, 07:55
This wasn't on my radar until a couple of days ago - I didn't know they were making it. Hope it's better than Prometheus (which wasn't bad - it just wasn't 'great' for me).

Co-gnARR
03-01-17, 10:13
I hope this picks up after Aliens, treats Alien 3 like a bad dream (it happened, but it is gone now) and totally ignores Alien:Resurrection. I can hope....
ETA: cannot watch trailer at this time. Will do so when I get normal wifi abiltiies back.

Firefly
03-01-17, 10:32
Weak. Jump scares. Shaky cam. Grossly naive people.

Aliens was tge best movie and Alien was a fair to middling prequel

SteyrAUG
03-01-17, 15:41
Weak. Jump scares. Shaky cam. Grossly naive people.

Aliens was tge best movie and Alien was a fair to middling prequel

While I agree, Aliens was far superior (rare for a sequel), the original 1979 Alien was serious thinking sci fi and way ahead of it's time.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-01-17, 18:42
Looks like a Garden of Eden gone wrong. There is the over sized wheat. "Listen, you hear nothing, no animals at all." So we have this and then there is a sequel to Prometheus- and of course on the extreme flank "Bladerunner 2048"?

Co-gnARR
03-01-17, 19:26
While I agree, Aliens was far superior (rare for a sequel), the original 1979 Alien was serious thinking sci fi and way ahead of it's time.

Agreed. It really did reach out to some unexplored territory in terms of bringing cinematography to the sci-fi genre. It legitimized science fiction as a viable thriller/horror/deep thought fix for thinking people. That movie and Bladerunner were Scott's masterpieces IMO. They brought serious direction and artistic expression into the mainstream movie experience in a way that sci-fi movies like Star Wars could not at that time. I am not knocking George Lucas or Star Wars in any way, but the style of that franchise contrasted to Alien and Blade Runner shows the stark difference in direction and execution of some deep story lines. Character development, the casting, camera work, lighting, set development, tone, etc are worlds (galaxies?) apart.

hotrodder636
03-01-17, 19:37
I hope this one doesn't suck and leads to a good reboot series.

RetroRevolver77
03-01-17, 19:49
I hope this one doesn't suck and leads to a good reboot series.

Agree, the first Promethius (no one cares if it's spelled right)- was WTF.

hotrodder636
03-01-17, 19:51
Agree, the first Promethius (no one cares if it's spelled right)- was WTF.

It had potential but was not well laid out and some valuable story line was left out.

MountainRaven
03-01-17, 20:21
I hope this picks up after Aliens, treats Alien 3 like a bad dream (it happened, but it is gone now) and totally ignores Alien:Resurrection. I can hope....
ETA: cannot watch trailer at this time. Will do so when I get normal wifi abiltiies back.

That was the Neil Blomkamp version. Or was going to be. But Ridley Scott doesn't want to let go of his control of the franchise to let Neil do his thing.

This? This looks meh.

Co-gnARR
03-01-17, 20:23
It had potential but was not well laid out and some valuable story line was left out.

I think Ridley Scott was stuck trying to do his thing his way, and still needing to appease the studio executives. Ridley wanted to go back to 1979 and start his story from the beginning, but the money wanted him to make a one-off sciencey-action-creep fest for the sheep who do not know nor GAF about the origins of the Engineers and their bio-weapons running amok. Prometheus had so much potential, and for me at least, it answered some questions, but I have to know that before I rewatch that movie I need to skip the BS characters and stupid sh*t and try to geek out on the deeper, hidden clues and look for the Easter eggs. There are some things in there that challenge divinity and the staus quo of western thought, but you need to do some research outside of what is presented in the movie itself. There are blogs and youtube videos that get into this. My mind was (sorta) made up about the Engineers before really looking into what Scott was trying to achieve, but after seeing/reading some things that Scott himself seems to endorse (without overtly saying so) and now I need to get the DVD and really spend some me time digging into the movie. Yes it was a commercial flop, and a dud for those who were expecting something relfective of Scott's abilities, but there is a depth to it that is easily overlooked if you aren't paying attention.

glocktogo
03-01-17, 20:30
I think Ridley Scott was stuck trying to do his thing his way, and still needing to appease the studio executives. Ridley wanted to go back to 1979 and start his story from the beginning, but the money wanted him to make a one-off sciencey-action-creep fest for the sheep who do not know nor GAF about the origins of the Engineers and their bio-weapons running amok. Prometheus had so much potential, and for me at least, it answered some questions, but I have to know that before I rewatch that movie I need to skip the BS characters and stupid sh*t and try to geek out on the deeper, hidden clues and look for the Easter eggs. There are some things in there that challenge divinity and the staus quo of western thought, but you need to do some research outside of what is presented in the movie itself. There are blogs and youtube videos that get into this. My mind was (sorta) made up about the Engineers before really looking into what Scott was trying to achieve, but after seeing/reading some things that Scott himself seems to endorse (without overtly saying so) and now I need to get the DVD and really spend some me time digging into the movie. Yes it was a commercial flop, and a dud for those who were expecting something relfective of Scott's abilities, but there is a depth to it that is easily overlooked if you aren't paying attention.

Guess I'm weird because I've watched Prometheus at least 10 times. For some reason it works for me.

Co-gnARR
03-01-17, 21:57
Not weird at all...maybe you just get it. For me I did enjoy the movie for what it was, but there were some serious gaps and obvious garbage thrown in there that did nothing for the big picture story line and instead were just filler. For example, the wild Scotsman and dork biologist...WTF did they add? Just two dumb meat sacks to get killed for the sake of action. There was a lot to digest in that movie but the gratuitous crap distracted the viewer away from the subtleties. For example, when the people were looking around the Engineers' temple, did you look at the friezes? Did you notice the crucified xenomorph in there? WTF is that all about? These are the parts I enjoyed finding as I went back through the movie after the initial viewing.

glocktogo
03-01-17, 22:00
Not weird at all...maybe you just get it. For me I did enjoy the movie for what it was, but there were some serious gaps and obvious garbage thrown in there that did nothing for the big picture story line and instead were just filler. For example, the wild Scotsman and dork biologist...WTF did they add? Just two dumb meat sacks to get killed for the sake of action. There was a lot to digest in that movie but the gratuitous crap distracted the viewer away from the subtleties. For example, when the people were looking around the Engineers' temple, did you look at the friezes? Did you notice the crucified xenomorph in there? WTF is that all about? These are the parts I enjoyed finding as I went back through the movie after the initial viewing.

Agreed, but as already stated, the studios would never let Scott make a film devoid of action. Not that many cerebral viewers willing to watch sci-fi w/o action.

And no, I don't get the crucifixion of a xenomorph, unless they ray to them like deities? :confused:

SteyrAUG
03-01-17, 22:06
Agreed. It really did reach out to some unexplored territory in terms of bringing cinematography to the sci-fi genre. It legitimized science fiction as a viable thriller/horror/deep thought fix for thinking people. That movie and Bladerunner were Scott's masterpieces IMO. They brought serious direction and artistic expression into the mainstream movie experience in a way that sci-fi movies like Star Wars could not at that time. I am not knocking George Lucas or Star Wars in any way, but the style of that franchise contrasted to Alien and Blade Runner shows the stark difference in direction and execution of some deep story lines. Character development, the casting, camera work, lighting, set development, tone, etc are worlds (galaxies?) apart.

Giger might have been insane, but he did manage to offer up a truly alien vision of things. Also one of the first films to show us what the true nature of an ET would probably be like, a completely amoral creature that is intelligent but lacks the humanity we assume we'd expect.

No secret plan for world domination for us to outsmart, just a bad ass biological competitor that is better adapted to harsh alien environments than we could ever dream of being. This is one of the few movies that actually became scarier as my father discussed it from a scientific point of view.

HardToHandle
03-01-17, 22:22
James Franco and Danny McBride? Ummm.... Didn't they already mess up the forgettable "This is the End"?

This screams Jar Jar Binks meets Prometheus. I do not believe I will drop a penny on this one.

jpmuscle
03-01-17, 22:41
Got a link that goes into all of this in detail by chance?

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-01-17, 23:04
James Franco and Danny McBride? Ummm.... Didn't they already mess up the forgettable "This is the End"?

This screams Jar Jar Binks meets Prometheus. I do not believe I will drop a penny on this one.

Worse than that.

'Your Highness" in 2011. Natalie Portman coming off a Best Actress win does this. Doh.

https://youtu.be/FplWxtPzWY8

Vgex2
03-01-17, 23:22

I've said the same, elsewhere. I do not like Danny McBride being in a serious movie because he only has one character, Danny McBride

Moose-Knuckle
03-02-17, 03:14
Covenant is supposed to be set ten years after Prometheus in the Alien franchise timeline.

Micheal Fassbender is playing a new character named Walter and is reprising his role as David-8. I believe the caped figure in the trailer is David and knowing the Weyland Corporation he probably set a trap to lure the "colonists" to that world as he needed human hosts to bring about the xenomorph's full potential.

So my hypothesis is the ship in the trailer is the one from Prometheus where David and Dr. Shaw (Noomi Rapace) set off to find the space jockey planet. Doubt this planet is the actual space jockey home world, just one where Dr. Shaw and David ended up. She probably planted those crops with the idea she was marooned for life but the xenomorph(s) had other plans for her, don't they always. Well that or David planted them after killing her as part of his ploy.

Guy Pearce is casted as Peter Weyland again so I'm assuming they're doing flashback scenes of a younger Weyland as he was killed by a space jockey last time around.

I'm stoked. This is the only film on my radar so far for 2017 besides the Last Jedi.

Co-gnARR
03-02-17, 07:43

Meesa agreee. Meesa no likey. :suicide:

Scrubber3
03-02-17, 08:52
I enjoyed Prometheus. I thought it to be very telling of the Alien Story. Though, it brought up as many questions as it answered. Which is a good thing to keep your audience coming back for the next film. I personally wish it would have been longer and filled in some obvious gaps. I will without a doubt watch Alien Covenant.

Thanks for the heads up

grnamin
03-02-17, 09:03
Found: dog tags with the name "Elizabeth Shaw" on them. Please claim at the nearest face hugger hatchery.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-02-17, 09:21
Covenant is supposed to be set ten years after Prometheus in the Alien franchise timeline.

So where would that put it in relation to 'Alien'?

WillBrink
03-02-17, 09:45
I enjoyed Prometheus. I thought it to be very telling of the Alien Story. Though, it brought up as many questions as it answered. Which is a good thing to keep your audience coming back for the next film. I personally wish it would have been longer and filled in some obvious gaps. I will without a doubt watch Alien Covenant.

Thanks for the heads up

To this day I have not seen Prometheus. Still can't figure out if it's actually part of the Alien story or not, or worth seeing considering how few seemed to like it. I'm a fan of almost anything from RS, but even he has put out a few stinkers. Still mad he's not directing the new Blade Runner movie. That's his baby if there ever was one.

Averageman
03-02-17, 11:37
To this day I have not seen Prometheus. Still can't figure out if it's actually part of the Alien story or not, or worth seeing considering how few seemed to like it. I'm a fan of almost anything from RS, but even he has put out a few stinkers. Still mad he's not directing the new Blade Runner movie. That's his baby if there ever was one.

Prometheus was worth the watch for me. I kind of assumed it was the origin of how this whole thing began.
I figure it's some weird time event where the Alien just keeps coming back and the circle in time keeps turning until he eventually makes it back to home station to burn all of civilizations down.

Co-gnARR
03-02-17, 12:41

Maybe 80 years before Aliens, which means maybe 20 years before Alien.

glocktogo
03-02-17, 13:49

I think it depends on whether you go into it with preconceived expectations. I've found entertainment value in a lot of heavily panned movies, simply by lowering my expectations going in. Prometheus was interesting in that it caused me to contemplate the subject matter, more so than anticipating the next horror. If that's not your bag, then I'm sure they'll do some basic tie in somewhere in Covenant for those who didn't watch Prometheus. :confused:

WillBrink
03-02-17, 13:57
I think it depends on whether you go into it with preconceived expectations. I've found entertainment value in a lot of heavily panned movies, simply by lowering my expectations going in. Prometheus was interesting in that it caused me to contemplate the subject matter, more so than anticipating the next horror. If that's not your bag, then I'm sure they'll do some basic tie in somewhere in Covenant for those who didn't watch Prometheus. :confused:

I'd prefer more cerebral than gore/horror these days. I doubt I'll even see this new Alien movie as all the horror I need is free on the news. I have also sworn off all war movies and have not seen one since SPR.

glocktogo
03-02-17, 14:29
I'd prefer more cerebral than gore/horror these days. I doubt I'll even see this new Alien movie as all the horror I need is free on the news. I have also sworn off all war movies and have not seen one since SPR.

Then definitely watch Prometheus on cable/satellite/Netflix/hulu, etc. They play it ALL the time, to the point it's become a running joke that my wife will leave the living room and odds are when she comes back, Prometheus is on. :)

Give it a shot and let us know your take on it!

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-02-17, 14:31
Can we just remake Forbidden Plant and call it a day?

WillBrink
03-02-17, 14:38
Can we just remake Forbidden Plant and call it a day?

Like remaking The God Father or The 10 Commandments. Some classics should never be messed with.

SteyrAUG
03-02-17, 15:57
Like remaking The God Father or The 10 Commandments. Some classics should never be messed with.

Agreed. They already eff'd up The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Firefly
03-02-17, 16:05
I think Prometheus was deeper than most give it credit for. In another 20 years, it'll be revisited as a classic.

It touched on themes like what if you met your maker and found out he didn't like you? You were a mistake. A product of a one night stand.
That and mere mortality.

But Alien Covenant looks more like generic sci fi.

The Alien universe has been perhaps over explored now. Alien and Aliens really covered it all.

They need more original ideas. It's like Terminator.

T1 was straight up horror with the prospect of a bleak future.

T2 was full of action but ended perfectly....future's not set. Good or bad. It was heavy Doc Brown stuff. It was Frosty the Snowman with cyborgs.

Then they made a these lame movies that suck. The future war in the originals made up roughly 15 mins combined and were more engaging than all of Salvation

Anyways I'm sitting it out

SteyrAUG
03-02-17, 16:11
I think Prometheus was deeper than most give it credit for. In another 20 years, it'll be revisited as a classic.

It touched on themes like what if you met your maker and found out he didn't like you? You were a mistake. A product of a one night stand.
That and mere mortality.

I think it had too many significant plot holes to be a classic. It would have been one thing if the engineers seeded an early earth with a single cell organism, but to basically introduce advanced DNA (presumably humanoid) into a lifeless earth was just stupid.

It was a basic Science 101 failure. That really killed the entire film for me in the first few minutes. With just a little more intelligent writing and just a little less CGI it could have been a great film. So many ideas, so much potential but none of it achieved and basically the entire film was wasted.

I've seen it a handful of times and each time I like it less. I can still watch Alien and Aliens and they both hold up.

Firefly
03-02-17, 16:21
I think it had too many significant plot holes to be a classic. It would have been one thing if the engineers seeded an early earth with a single cell organism, but to basically introduce advanced DNA (presumably humanoid) into a lifeless earth was just stupid.

It was a basic Science 101 failure. That really killed the entire film for me in the first few minutes. With just a little more intelligent writing and just a little less CGI it could have been a great film. So many ideas, so much potential but none of it achieved and basically the entire film was wasted.

I've seen it a handful of times and each time I like it less. I can still watch Alien and Aliens and they both hold up.

I can see that but the big idea standed out as patently original. You lie cheat and steal to prolomg your life to confront your maker out of fear of dying....and he kills you.

I like heavy stuff like that. The handsy artificial person and the black ooze from X Files was annoying but IIRC we got to see Noomi Rapace's breasteses so.....

That's where I'm at

SteyrAUG
03-02-17, 17:00
I can see that but the big idea standed out as patently original. You lie cheat and steal to prolomg your life to confront your maker out of fear of dying....and he kills you.

I like heavy stuff like that. The handsy artificial person and the black ooze from X Files was annoying but IIRC we got to see Noomi Rapace's breasteses so.....

That's where I'm at

Like I said, there was a lot of promise. It could have been great, but it was unrealized and saddled down by bullshit.

There is even a basic plot problem with the seeding being intentional. Why did the alien kill himself? If he wanted to simply drop his DNA in the water there are at least 100 better ways to do that. Also it looks like the alien was intended to be completely destroyed, but somehow some of his DNA accidentally survived. In either scenario, the engineers aren't terribly effective in their attempts.

I think this is why the engineers wacked the humans that reached them, because there weren't supposed to be any humans in the first place. It wasn't a matter of humans being pretentious enough to try and increase their life span.

Then there is the problem of how did engineer DNA evolve into human DNA on earth? This is especially problematic if it was on earth prior to the existence of any other life. I don't see engineer DNA becoming stromatolites first, and without stromatolites what is anyone breathing because there would be no oxygen.

The solution was even in the film. If you take the infectious black goo that turns everyone into a raving killer, and instead you borrow from 2001 and engineer blood is introduced to early primates which results in the evolution of the human species via a mutation of the existing primate species, then you'd have a movie. It would also explain why we are a distinctly different species than the engineers and on a lower evolutionary scale.

Vgex2
03-02-17, 17:28
I was under the impression there were four non-xenomorph beings in Prometheus:

1. Humans
2. Humanoid Robot Slaves (Fassbender)

3. Engineers (seen in the extended features)
4. Engineers' humanoid slaves (these are the ones who had beef with us)

Alex V
03-02-17, 17:31

This puts all the movies in order: SPOILER ALERT!

http://youtu.be/SvnvVQpmeJQ

SteyrAUG
03-02-17, 17:41

1. Humans

See that small detail alone changes the entire movie and just shows what a half assed, ham fisted, make it up as they go along storyline it is.

Vgex2
03-02-17, 17:47
See that small detail alone changes the entire movie and just shows what a half assed, ham fisted, make it up as they go along storyline it is.

I, perhaps incorrectly, believed the Engineers were not the same as the giant being that attacked Shaw's group as they were distinctly shorter than the uniformly large size of all the video clips of the giant beings.

jpmuscle
03-02-17, 18:23
Ok, not for nothing but the ad mining on this site is getting a little creepy https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170303/e2398d0f906593aa44386e4c4df149cb.jpg

glocktogo
03-02-17, 18:29
Like I said, there was a lot of promise. It could have been great, but it was unrealized and saddled down by bullshit.

There is even a basic plot problem with the seeding being intentional. Why did the alien kill himself? If he wanted to simply drop his DNA in the water there are at least 100 better ways to do that. Also it looks like the alien was intended to be completely destroyed, but somehow some of his DNA accidentally survived. In either scenario, the engineers aren't terribly effective in their attempts.

I think this is why the engineers wacked the humans that reached them, because there weren't supposed to be any humans in the first place. It wasn't a matter of humans being pretentious enough to try and increase their life span.

Then there is the problem of how did engineer DNA evolve into human DNA on earth? This is especially problematic if it was on earth prior to the existence of any other life. I don't see engineer DNA becoming stromatolites first, and without stromatolites what is anyone breathing because there would be no oxygen.

The solution was even in the film. If you take the infectious black goo that turns everyone into a raving killer, and instead you borrow from 2001 and engineer blood is introduced to early primates which results in the evolution of the human species via a mutation of the existing primate species, then you'd have a movie. It would also explain why we are a distinctly different species than the engineers and on a lower evolutionary scale.

I see one serious flaw in your premise.

It's just a movie.

SteyrAUG
03-02-17, 19:07
I see one serious flaw in your premise.

It's just a movie.

Then we might as well all watch Pippi Longstockings and never discuss it's merits related to Heat.

Alex V
03-02-17, 19:14
There is only one type of Engineer species and they are much larger than humans.

The only fault I find in Prometheus is why would the Engineers invite humans to LV223 if they were using that planet as a biological weapons factory and they were planning to fly to earth anyway. The fan theories I see on YT say that there may have been two factions in the Engineer society. Once that created and ones that destroyed. Or ones that created us and other who through we sucked. The good ones invited us to LV223 but in that time the bad ones started using it as a weapons factory.

glocktogo
03-02-17, 19:17
There is only one type of Engineer species and they are much larger than humans.

The only fault I find in Prometheus is why would the Engineers invite humans to LV223 if they were using that planet as a biological weapons factory and they were planning to fly to earth anyway. The fan theories I see on YT say that there may have been two factions in the Engineer society. Once that created and ones that destroyed. Or ones that created us and other who through we sucked. The good ones invited us to LV223 but in that time the bad ones started using it as a weapons factory.

Sounds like they dig Transformers too. ;)

MountainRaven
03-02-17, 20:53

That and mere mortality.

But Alien Covenant looks more like generic sci fi.

The Alien universe has been perhaps over explored now. Alien and Aliens really covered it all.

They need more original ideas. It's like Terminator.

T1 was straight up horror with the prospect of a bleak future.

T2 was full of action but ended perfectly....future's not set. Good or bad. It was heavy Doc Brown stuff. It was Frosty the Snowman with cyborgs.

Then they made a these lame movies that suck. The future war in the originals made up roughly 15 mins combined and were more engaging than all of Salvation

Anyways I'm sitting it out

You mean like Arthur C. Clarke's 3001?

SteyrAUG
03-02-17, 21:33

Are you referencing the sci fi TV series that's in development?

Firefly
03-02-17, 21:48

Yeah. Honestly if they hadn't tried to shoehorn in Xenomorphs and focused on some of the better themes; Prometheus really would have been better

MountainRaven
03-02-17, 22:08
Are you referencing the sci fi TV series that's in development?

I was referencing the book. Didn't know there was going to be a TV series.

SteyrAUG
03-02-17, 23:45
Yeah. Honestly if they hadn't tried to shoehorn in Xenomorphs and focused on some of the better themes; Prometheus really would have been better

Ya know, if Prometheus as it's own stand alone story, probably would have been better developed.

I was referencing the book. Didn't know there was going to be a TV series.

Makes us even, I didn't even know the book existed until I looked it up and in the process found out about the TV show. And the plot line of 3001 basically undermines the entire point of 2001 in an ironic parallel with the discussion of Prometheus.

Moose-Knuckle
03-03-17, 03:52

According to the dates displayed in the movies, Prometheus concludes 28 years, 5 months, and 2 days before the start of Alien.

Moose-Knuckle
03-03-17, 03:54
Still can't figure out if it's actually part of the Alien story or not, or worth seeing considering how few seemed to like it.

Generally this is an indication to me that I will enjoy a film. IMHO Prometheus was great.

They already eff'd up The Day the Earth Stood Still.

And . . . Planet of the Apes and . . . Ben-Hur.

It would have been one thing if the engineers seeded an early earth with a single cell organism, but to basically introduce advanced DNA (presumably humanoid) into a lifeless earth was just stupid.

It was a basic Science 101 failure. That really killed the entire film for me in the first few minutes.

The black matter in the vessels in Prometheus is not merely a biological weapon but the elixir of life itself. An innumerable amount of species can evolve from that organic compound. The space jockey who sacrificed himself by drinking the black matter is what got the ball rolling for all life on Earth, at least that is what I walked away with after seeing that scene.

The British molecular biologist, biophysicist, and neuroscientist Francis Crick who won the Nobel Prize for mapping the double-helix structure along with his partner American molecular biologist, geneticist and zoologist James Watson came to the conclusion that Darwin's theory was mathematically infeasible. Dr. Crick hypothesized that life on Earth was seeded by an advanced intelligence.

Moose-Knuckle
03-03-17, 04:25
The red band teaser trailer.

In an interview Ridley Scott gave he stated that Covenant would have "eggs, facehuggers, chest bursters, and the big boy". No mention of a queen.

Micheal Fassbender revealed in a BBC interview a new alien known as a neomorph will be in Covenant and it has it's own unique way of entering a host without a facehugger. I assume this is the one that is entering the dudes ear in this trailer and bursting out of the host's spine. Also note in the trailer on the first page the orbs on the ground that omit some sort of airborne spore after being stepped on. Thought it was alien scat at first lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

Arik
03-03-17, 08:06
It's been a long time since I watched Prometheus but I remember walking away with a feeling of WTF did I just watch. It didn't make much sense. Right now I don't remember all the plot points but I didn't understand why they created us and then tried to destroy us and where exactly are "they".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

glocktogo
03-03-17, 10:45
Generally this is an indication to me that I will enjoy a film. IMHO Prometheus was great.

And . . . Planet of the Apes and . . . Ben-Hur.

The black matter in the vessels in Prometheus is not merely a biological weapon but the elixir of life itself. An innumerable amount of species can evolve from that organic compound. The space jockey who sacrificed himself by drinking the black matter is what got the ball rolling for all life on Earth, at least that is what I walked away with after seeing that scene.

The British molecular biologist, biophysicist, and neuroscientist Francis Crick who won the Nobel Prize for mapping the double-helix structure along with his partner American molecular biologist, geneticist and zoologist James Watson came to the conclusion that Darwin's theory was mathematically infeasible. Dr. Crick hypothesized that life on Earth was seeded by an advanced intelligence.

That's how I saw it, but wasn't sure how to state it yesterday. Kind of a "Genesis" type deal where it will overwrite existing life on it's way to "morphing" something else entirely. :)

RetroRevolver77
03-04-17, 08:44
The Alien series ended at Prometheus. Now they are continuing with the ruining of the narrative and it sucks. That giant alien that looks human like is stupid. The spores releasing special alien DNA is stupid. So we're supposed to believe that a second trip was planned to the same planet that a whole group of idiots died on? Don't think so.

Co-gnARR
03-04-17, 10:35
That's how I saw it, but wasn't sure how to state it yesterday. Kind of a "Genesis" type deal where it will overwrite existing life on it's way to "morphing" something else entirely. :)
* To answer an earlier question, I do not have links since I do not typically bookmark this kind of stuff. *
I think that was the point a lot of people are missing. Some fan circles suggest that the Engineers who created life and now want to wipe out humanity are doing so as a religious movement. The Engineer who drank the elixir did it as a sacrifice ('my body, my blood'), and life was created in his image. Whether there are two different factions of Engineers brings another level of complexity to the story- were there religious wars amongst the Engineers? Were they in competition to create life in order to satisfy a desire to be worshipped? Maybe one faction of Engineers was preparing to destroy all life on Earth in order to spite a rival faction. Their ships look an awful lot like bombers, as well as temples for ritual.
There were some other bits of speculation and conjecture I found that might truly offend people of faith...I will stop here.
I think the frustrating part of Prometheus is that the story is open ended...maybe a bit too open ended. I think Scott wanted viewers to draw their own conclusions. We can all take a common source story and create our own interpretations, much like how we make our own interpretations of the Bible. Our Judeo-Christian morality is rooted from the same source, but our intrepations and traditions are so varied that we have the world we live in today.

Moose-Knuckle
03-05-17, 02:53
The Alien series ended at Prometheus. Now they are continuing with the ruining of the narrative and it sucks. That giant alien that looks human like is stupid. The spores releasing special alien DNA is stupid. So we're supposed to believe that a second trip was planned to the same planet that a whole group of idiots died on? Don't think so.

No, in Prometheus the planet LV-223 does not have an atmosphere that will support human life. This is why they had to wear their space suits. In Covenant the crew is not wearing any space suits as they disembark their ship. It is an Earth like planet with vegetation and liquid water as scene in the trailers. I believe this is the planet where David-8 and Dr. Shaw "landed" on after leaving LV-223 at the end of Prometheus.

Don't know about the spores, just a guess on my part.

grnamin
03-05-17, 15:35
Once possible explanation is that the crew of the Covenant veered from their intended course to respond to a distress call and ended up on the planet she and David landed on.

JoshNC
03-05-17, 19:10
James Franco and Danny McBride doing serious roles? I thought we may be in for Pineapple Express II, outer space exploration.

Benito
03-05-17, 20:39
James Franco and Danny McBride doing serious roles? I thought we may be in for Pineapple Express II, outer space exploration.

They're part of the Hollywood club. That means they must give good head or have some other similar skills for the producers to let them climb the career ladder.

Anyways, I am a lifelong Alien franchise fan, love Giger, like Ridley Scott, but will be giving this a miss.
Prometheus sucked balls. More bread and circuses.

Moose-Knuckle
03-06-17, 14:39
James Franco and Danny McBride doing serious roles?

James Franco has been in some good non-comedic roles.

11.22.63 he was a time traveling teacher attempting to prevent the assassination of JFK.

Flyboys was another one of my favorites where he portrays an American in the Lafayette Escadrille prior to America's entry in WWI.

SteyrAUG
03-06-17, 14:48

11.22.63 he was a time traveling teacher attempting to prevent the assassination of JFK.

Actually that was pretty interesting.

Firefly
03-06-17, 14:53

Flyboys was another one of my favorites where he portrays an American in the Lafayette Escadrille prior to America's entry in WWI.

11.22.63 was such a waste of time.

If I could go back to the early 60s, I would be swimming in AR-10s, Beatnik chicks, and Colt Pythons. I'd punch out John Lennon. And the SF advisors to Vietnam would get a mystery crate of HK416 10.5, MK. 18s, suppressors, 240s, Milkors, Laser range finders, NODs and all manner of maps and time lines

But that's just me

Moose-Knuckle
03-06-17, 15:13
Actually that was pretty interesting.

One of Stephen Kings' better modern tales.

If I could go back to the early 60s, I would be swimming in AR-10s, Beatnik chicks, and Colt Pythons. I'd punch out John Lennon. And the SF advisors to Vietnam would get a mystery crate of HK416 10.5, MK. 18s, suppressors, 240s, Milkors, Laser range finders, NODs and all manner of maps and time lines

But that's just me

I liked how he took the old man's advice and had some pie, that's what I would do if I could go back to the 60's. Spend some time in a eatery and eat REAL FOOD.

SteyrAUG
03-06-17, 16:31
I liked how he took the old man's advice and had some pie, that's what I would do if I could go back to the 60's. Spend some time in a eatery and eat REAL FOOD.

Yep. No matter what you brought the SF guys, wouldn't have changed much. They were kicking ass and we destroyed the VC at Tet but Cronkite declared it a victory for the North and the pro communist youth movement back home snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Best thing you could do if given the chance is enjoy the food, girls in go go boots and things like that. If I brought anything back it would be a copy of Ann Coulters book "Treason" as a gift for Joe McCarthy.

Firefly
03-06-17, 16:55
Yep. No matter what you brought the SF guys, wouldn't have changed much. They were kicking ass and we destroyed the VC at Tet but Cronkite declared it a victory for the North and the pro communist youth movement back home snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Best thing you could do if given the chance is enjoy the food, girls in go go boots and things like that. If I brought anything back it would be a copy of Ann Coulters book "Treason" as a gift for Joe McCarthy.

Yeah.....oh there would be lots of freaky deaky beatnik relations. Food.....meh. Maybe a real classic corndog. With mustard.

I know giving the SF guys ATACs iX tigers and so on wouldn't really change anything but since I'm going to be taking advantage of a lot of beatnik girls and scamming a bunch of Original AR-10s and Pythons....maybe giving them all that stuff would assuage some guilt pangs.

Actually.....no. No I wouldn't. If the Russians or the Chinese got ahold of any of it; that would alter history.

Plus HIV has been around the US since at least the 50s. Plus pumping and dumping a bunch of young, emotional hipster chicks would create some bizarre wave of Super-Feminism where males are slaughtered and used as breeding stock where every single woman is in sync. I watched a lot of weird Skinemax movies to know that all female lesbo planets can be vicious and arcane.

And all those guns I bought/stole would probably trigger and add more legitimacy to the ATF. "Hey.....who's getting all these Pythons and AR-10s?! And WHY?

Doc Brown was right. Messing with time would have dire consequences.

But time travel is impossible anyways.

MountainRaven
03-06-17, 18:01

But that's just me

Well, the FN MAG went into production in 1958, so if they wanted 'M240s', they could have had them.

Firefly
03-06-17, 18:26
Well, the FN MAG went into production in 1958, so if they wanted 'M240s', they could have had them.

Actually, I meant 249s. Clumsy fingers.

SteyrAUG
03-06-17, 20:30
But time travel is impossible anyways.

Depends if parallels actually exist or not. Otherwise based upon what we know time is inviolate other than as it relates to the future and relativity. We've gone forward and on a very small scale people do it every day.

Moose-Knuckle
03-07-17, 23:54
Alien: Covenant director teases xenomorphs' origin: 'if you think it's the Engineers, you're dead wrong'

"So we've reinvented the idea of Alien, I think, which is that Covenant gets us a step closer to who and why was this thing designed to make human beings. And if you think it's them [the Engineers], you're dead wrong."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alien-covenant-director-teases-xenomorphs-105953681.html

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 01:24
Alien: Covenant director teases xenomorphs' origin: 'if you think it's the Engineers, you're dead wrong'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alien-covenant-director-teases-xenomorphs-105953681.html

I rewatched Prometheus just to get some details in order. Among other things, I'm not sure that was a crucified xenomorph in the structure, more of a fresco or rendering to ID classifications of weapons stored.

Also there were no engineers and engineer slaves. There were only engineers who were pretty big and sometimes wore space suits.

On this last viewing I was even more disappointed and simply found fewer faults and unresolved details that the writers simply couldn't come up with a satisfying conclusion for so they were left ambiguous to seem clever.

When covenant finally airs of a premium movie channel that I'm already paying for, I'll give it a look. Doubt very much I will be adding the DVD to my library.

Moose-Knuckle
03-08-17, 01:45
I rewatched Prometheus just to get some details in order. Among other things, I'm not sure that was a crucified xenomorph in the structure, more of a fresco or rendering to ID classifications of weapons stored.

Also there were no engineers and engineer slaves. There were only engineers who were pretty big and sometimes wore space suits.

I'm not sure about those, you're quoting other members here.

For example, when the people were looking around the Engineers' temple, did you look at the friezes? Did you notice the crucified xenomorph in there? WTF is that all about? These are the parts I enjoyed finding as I went back through the movie after the initial viewing.

1. Humans

Space Jockeys, aka "the engineers" were only one type I thought both in and out of their space helmets. No slaves as I could tale and Weyland corp synthetics aren't slaves to humans.

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 13:39
I'm not sure about those, you're quoting other members here.

Sorry, wasn't trying to attribute those statements to you. Was just following on with the idea your post related.

Waylander
03-08-17, 16:07
Yes the space jockeys are just Engineers in biomechanical space suits.

From what I understand, in the original Alien the xenomorph was carbon dated to be a million or more years old which would mean the Engineers most likely didn't create them. That's also backed up by what Scott is saying.

There were also the remains of an Engineer in the ship in his decomposed space suit in the original 1979 Alien.

I'm excited about Covenant.

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 17:41
Yes the space jockeys are just Engineers in biomechanical space suits.

From what I understand, in the original Alien the xenomorph was carbon dated to be a million or more years old which would mean the Engineers most likely didn't create them. That's also backed up by what Scott is saying.

There were also the remains of an Engineer in the ship in his decomposed space suit in the original 1979 Alien.

I'm excited about Covenant.

More importantly, with his chest blown out. Of course a lot of the material was mined from "Planet of the Vampires."

Waylander
03-08-17, 18:08
More importantly, with his chest blown out. Of course a lot of the material was mined from "Planet of the Vampires."
Yep I forgot about that. Assuming it was a facehugger that infected that Engineer and a facehugger that infected the Engineer at the end of Prometheus, those produced the "Deacon" alien, an ancestor of the xenomorph. What results when a facehugger infects a Deacon, etc, etc?

ETA: I'm not sure if that's even possible.

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 18:21
Yep I forgot about that. Assuming it was a facehugger that infected that Engineer and a facehugger that infected the Engineer at the end of Prometheus, those produced the "Deacon" alien, an ancestor of the xenomorph. What results when a facehugger infects a Deacon, etc, etc?

Different planets, or in this case different moons.

Prometheus was moon LV-223. Alien the moon (one of three) was LV-426 but wasn't identified until Aliens.

Alex V
03-08-17, 18:25

Prometheus was moon LV-223. Alien the moon (one of three) was LV-426 but wasn't identified until Aliens.

Is Alien Covenant happening on LV426? Would make sense since in Aliens we learn of a colony on LV426 which was over run.

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 18:55
Is Alien Covenant happening on LV426? Would make sense since in Aliens we learn of a colony on LV426 which was over run.

I would doubt it, LV-426 was a messed up rock devoid of life and the atmospheric processor was destroyed. It would need to be terraformed, left alone long enough for plant life to take over and then drop an unsuspecting crew in for fun and hijinks.

Waylander
03-08-17, 19:29

Yea I wasn't saying the Deacon from Prometheus and presumably the chest buster from Alien that killed the Engineer were from the same place and time. Actually what came out of Shaw and attacked the Engineer was a apparently a trilobite, not a true face hugger. So I can't say for sure which attacked the Engineer that was dead in the ship on LV-426.

Anyway, I'm off in the weeds. It's just one of the interesting ties from Prometheus to Alien that some don't realize exist. There are actually a lot more pieces of the puzzle that fit if you go back and watch all the movies.

Alex V
03-08-17, 20:26
I would doubt it, LV-426 was a messed up rock devoid of life and the atmospheric processor was destroyed. It would need to be terraformed, left alone long enough for plant life to take over and then drop an unsuspecting crew in for fun and hijinks.

What if the zenomorphs destroyed the atmospheric processor which killed off all the life hens the LV426 we see in Aliens?

Co-gnARR
03-08-17, 22:27
Sorry, been busy with work and haven't had much time to follow up on all this. I appreciate this thread- I haven't thought too much about this movie since I saw it when it was first released. Digging up all the lore, etc, is pretty fun, tbh.
Regarding the crucified xeno, here is something I found the other day:
http://www.scified.com/topic/23415 Be sure to read the comments.
The comments on some of the forums I'm looking at draw a lot of attention to the symbolism and dates/timing of events in the movie related to the stories of the Bible. Things like David the android washing Weyland's feet, correlating Elisabeth Shaw and her surprise pregnancy to Mary's cousin Elisabeth, mother of John the Baptist, etc.
I admit to not being well educated in the actually history of the Bible/Old Testament (my education was more, 'go to church, pray for forgiveness and remember that God is watching over you') so seeing all the biblical references is pretty enjoyable. It certainly has sparked a new interest in learning more about the actual roots of Judaism and Christianity.

Co-gnARR
03-08-17, 22:33
I think Steyr is correct: LV-426 was in fact destroyed at the end of Aliens.
I think the planet in Covenant is referred to as Paradise, and is assumed to be the planet that Shaw went looking for at the end of Prometheus. This might be the home world of the Engineers, but honestly I stopped reading any blogs about Covenant because I don't want to find any (more) spoilers.

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 22:33
What if the zenomorphs destroyed the atmospheric processor which killed off all the life hens the LV426 we see in Aliens?

I keep forgetting these films predate Alien. So yeah, could be. Supposedly we get three more films to find out. But because Covenant happens BEFORE Alien, the atmospheric processor isn't there yet. There are a couple nerd sites which say it can't be LV-426, or at least it can't be the same crashed derelict vessel, because of changes in the background like mountains and because of differences in the ship itself.

But eventually all of these Prometheus story lines will resolve at the beginning of Alien including the big "who made the xenomorphs" question.

polydeuces
03-08-17, 22:36
I so want this one to work.
Looking at RidleyScotts work across the board it is mindblowing, though mostly when considering ORIGINAL creative content....
Less so with 'parts I and II, III etc...remakes....

Leaving me to consider BladeRunners sequel coming up giving me lots of concern.

Perhaps sometimes it's OK just to leave things alone?

Co-gnARR
03-08-17, 22:43
I keep forgetting these films predate Alien. So yeah, could be. Supposedly we get three more films to find out. But because Covenant happens BEFORE Alien, the atmospheric processor isn't there yet. There are a couple nerd sites which say it can't be LV-426, or at least it can't be the same crashed derelict vessel, because of changes in the background like mountains and because of differences in the ship itself.

But eventually all of these Prometheus story lines will resolve at the beginning of Alien including the big "who made the xenomorphs" question.

Agreed. LV-426 was a moon (I think) and orbiting the same planet as LV-223. Since LV-426 was still being terraformed inAliens, I don't think it makes sense that the lush world seen in Covenant trailers is the same place. Also, it seems that the xenos have other methods of propagating, ie, spores, and have different outcomes with the xeno produced based on that method of propogation, ie, facehugger on human= Giger type xeno, spores make the protomorph (according to Covenant blogs the protomorph is a lesser form of the classic xeno, goo impreganating a human woman makes the monster sized facehugger in Prometheus, monster facehugger on engineer makes a deacon (baby queen?)etc.

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 22:45
Looking at RidleyScotts work across the board it is mindblowing, though mostly when considering ORIGINAL creative content....

The best thing about the movie "Animal House" is that they didn't create an American Pie franchise. Sure there was a short lived TV spin off called Delta House but that isn't quite the same thing. In a rare occurrence, the sequel "Aliens" was not only a superior film but also explored the story line in a thoughtful and intelligent way. Sadly the result was A3 and Resurrection. Sometimes you just have to know when to stop, like with Terminator 2. It was done, resolved and wrapped up in a nice little bow. Then they decided to do a third film and had to undo many of the things T2 accomplished and the result was more WTF than meaningful contribution.

But once you get past Part III, it's usually done. True for Rambo, Star Wars, Predator, etc.

Co-gnARR
03-08-17, 22:47

You could be on to something here...I think Bladerunneritself needs no further explanation. The Alien/engineer mythos/origins of life on Earth could be dragged on and on. I read a quote where Ridley claims he has at least six more Alien movies to make, and is ready to film the next segment ASAP...the man is 79, if I'm not mistaken. Six more movies in that franchise alone is a tall order for him, I'm afraid.

Moose-Knuckle
03-11-17, 01:44
What results when a facehugger infects a Deacon, etc, etc?

ETA: I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Well we know they can infect a Predator.

Moose-Knuckle
03-18-17, 03:47
So, I went back and perused the special features on the Prometheus Blu-ray and remembered this Easter egg.

In "The Peter Wayland Files" file one entitled Quiet Eye: Elizabeth Shaw had the following:

"As fate would have it, Shaw and Holloway's interest in Zeta 2 Reticuli has proven to be mutually beneficial. While the good doctors rely on ancient carvings and primitive cave paintings, my science division's own long range scans have recently detected a faint, almost imperceptible signal emanating from one of the lesser moons in that system. And contrary to the findings of Shaw and Holloway, which target LV-223 as our primary site of interest, our findings suggest the point of origin could actually be the moon LV-426.

Per standard procedure, we will embed a David 8 unit with the crew. And he will be programmed with multiple contingency plans to address and exploit whatever assets we secure on 223. But only David will know about 426 and will ensure that the rest of the crew - including Meredith - learn nothing about the transmission we've recently discovered until the time is right."

In other news . . .

Ridley Scott Reveals the Title of His Next Alien Film and Starts to Spill Too Much Information

During a recent interview with Fandango, Alien: Covenant director Ridley Scott started letting all kinds of details fly about his plans for the Alien franchise. He started spilling so many details that the star of Covenant, Katherine Waterston, kept trying to cut him off to prevent him from saying anything more!

He reveals the title of the next Alien film he has planned; how there will be another film that will lead directly into his original Alien film; and says that if the movies do well, there will be five new Alien films total. Here's how that conversation goes down:

"There will be another one before we kind of literally and logically, clockwise, back into the rear back head of [the original] Alien," he said.
We asked Scott what the timeline looked like -- would it be Prometheus, Covenant and then this next movie before we arrive at the events of the original Alien. That's when the answer became a bit foggy as it appears he slips in the title for another movie we haven't seen yet and positions it between Prometheus and Covenant.

"It will go Prometheus, Awakening, Covenant.. fairly integral where this colonization ship is on the way...."

http://geektyrant.com/news/ridley-scott-reveals-the-title-of-his-next-alien-film-and-starts-to-spill-too-much-information

RetroRevolver77
03-18-17, 13:10
There are a lot of things I don't understand about the Prometheus story line. Why would the master race aliens create a biological weapon so deadly that it could wipe out an entire planet if just one drop were to be introduced to whatever species is living there. Basically there is no way to cleanse the planet without total annihilation of the planet. Seems that some kind of biological weapon to that degree would be mutually agreed upon as something that they wouldn't use because it's potential to wipe out the creators is just as much of a risk as it is for whatever planet system they are targeting.

SteyrAUG
03-18-17, 16:20
There are a lot of things I don't understand about the Prometheus story line. Why would the master race aliens create a biological weapon so deadly that it could wipe out an entire planet if just one drop were to be introduced to whatever species is living there. Basically there is no way to cleanse the planet without total annihilation of the planet. Seems that some kind of biological weapon to that degree would be mutually agreed upon as something that they wouldn't use because it's potential to wipe out the creators is just as much of a risk as it is for whatever planet system they are targeting.

Because weak writing and "cool that's awesome" > "wait that doesn't make sense."

Moose-Knuckle
03-19-17, 02:06

What ever the black ooze is it doesn't wipe out the host species as a biological weapon does in the traditional sense. Rather it germinates and out comes all manner of beasts like the "snakes" in the floor of the pyramid on LV-223, the tentacled beast from Dr. Shaw, and the xenomorph from the space jockey.

We're assigning human emotion to the engineers, they're just highly intelligent beings doing what they do because they can while at the same time being devoid of human perspectives.

Co-gnARR
03-19-17, 14:31
Because weak writing and "cool that's awesome" > "wait that doesn't make sense."

Ridley Scott actually addressed the plot holes in Prometheus in an interview after the movie was released. There are scenes cut from the theatrical release that fill in the holes but break the tempo of the movie. The same thing happened with Alien in 1979. In the deleted footage there, as Ripley is fleeing the xenomorph, she finds Dallas and Brett cocooned. Brett is dead already and apparently being morphed into an egg (black goo at work here), while Dallas is slowly dying, probably with another xeno gestating inside his chest. This scene was cut because it takes the rapid pace of the movie and breaks the tension. Both movies were quite long in their theatrical releases, and the deleted scenes are now available as Director's cuts, etc, so fans can find new bits of story line, etc.

Waylander
03-19-17, 23:11

Maybe that's the reason the Space Jockeys on LV-223 were isolated there in case of a mishap which inevitably happened. Maybe they weren't as intelligent as their leaders and botched the mission. Also notice how the cylinders didn't start to rupture and ooze until the humans came around them.

It may not have even been the black goo that caused the incident on LV-223 when all of the Engineers died except the one remaining in stasis. I don't think they created the black goo and just thought it was the best way to make examples of some humans. Maybe exterminating the entire human race wasn't the goal just creating monsters or beasts of some of them.

Ridley Scott has placed subtle Judeo-Christian clues in the movies. He hinted in I believe an interview that humans had become a disappointment to the Engineers so they sent a messiah (presumably Jesus) to teach us the errors of our ways. Then the Romans crucified Jesus and around 70 A.D. Jerusalem fell to the Romans.

The carbon date on the dead Space Jockey was around 2000 years. The year Prometheus arrived at LV-223 was 2093 so the Space Jockeys were ready to travel to Earth sometime before 100 A.D. possibly around the time Jerusalem fell.

Also if you take LV-223 to be Leviticus 22:3 it states that any unclean who come near the offerings the Israelites have made to God then they will be cut off from God.

Waylander
03-23-17, 22:48
New Alien: Covenant poster with cues to the original Paradise Lost painting

http://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-movie-poster-xenomorphs/

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/6f98f77706493f84577cc7a5b4a57056.jpg

Firefly
03-23-17, 23:19
I've decided by that poster alone..
I am over Alien.

Alien was a classic. Even if you saw it as a prequel to Aliens. Ripley was betrayed by a robot and lost her crew to merely drift in space. The Alien was genuinely creepy because they got a skinny, lanky long Manute Bowl looking black dude to slink around in a biomechanical yet otherworldly way.

Aliens was a masterpiece. Ripley, suffering anxiety over LV-426 accompanies a platoon of battle hardened Colonial Marines. Expertly cast, all practical effects, the Colonial Marines were awesomw, Ripley confronts her literal demons, befriends an artificial person, and the ending was great.

Alien 3 had a good soundtrack.

Alien Resurrection had a tomboyish cute pre-felony Winona Ryder.

Prometheus, despite my liking it, wasn't really an Alien movie. It was a quest for God. Beyond that...lame.

Covenant looks like CGI, jump scares, and the same ol' stuff just diluted and lame.

I do not and have never cared about the origin of xenomorphs. They are just that part of space where creepy stuff comes out. Like a tiger or a bear. You don't question it. You avoid it.

As far as I'm concerned.....the Sulaco was picked up by the US Space Navy, Ripley adopts Newt, marries Hicks, they buy a house in the hills, grow old, and die. The word is out on Xenomorphs, any suspected nests are nuked. Anyone dumb enough is considered crazy like the grizzly bear man and the Predators dont mess with humans and the humans dont mess with Predators.

SteyrAUG
03-24-17, 02:06
I've decided by that poster alone..
I am over Alien.

Alien was a classic. Even if you saw it as a prequel to Aliens. Ripley was betrayed by a robot and lost her crew to merely drift in space. The Alien was genuinely creepy because they got a skinny, lanky long Manute Bowl looking black dude to slink around in a biomechanical yet otherworldly way.

Aliens was a masterpiece. Ripley, suffering anxiety over LV-426 accompanies a platoon of battle hardened Colonial Marines. Expertly cast, all practical effects, the Colonial Marines were awesomw, Ripley confronts her literal demons, befriends an artificial person, and the ending was great.

End of an era, well it ended some time ago, before the advent of CGI even.

It's like those wonderful 1950s sci fi films. Sure the special effects are dated, but there is something appealing about Harryhousen stop motion animation and it was a long time before we saw anything as intelligently imagined as "The Day the Earth Stood Still" or "The Thing From Another World."

Alien established the founding of a new era of sci fi film. There were few like it besides the sequel "Aliens" and I'm hard pressed to think of another film since with the same impact.

I think Covenant is going to be even more of a "popcorn movie" than Prometheus. Gonna just wait for Netflix.

pinzgauer
03-24-17, 10:03
I saw Alien in the theater during its original run while home on college break.

Week night, old style (1920s) theater that seated 1000, yet I was the only one there that night. It was before the little led nightlights along the carpet, just a dim exit light at the emergency door.

The combination of big screen, complete darkness, large open space, and not another soul nearby amplified the effect. The semi decrepit nature of the theater and balcony behind me just added to the mood.

It *felt* like I was there in the dark and gloomy spacecraft cargo bays!

Probably the most intense sci-fi movie experience I've ever had.

You don't need deafening superdolby sound and billions of CGI to make a good movie!

The original Alien rules!

Moose-Knuckle
03-25-17, 03:03
I saw Alien in the theater during its original run while home on college break.

Week night, old style (1920s) theater that seated 1000, yet I was the only one there that night. It was before the little led nightlights along the carpet, just a dim exit light at the emergency door.

The combination of big screen, complete darkness, large open space, and not another soul nearby amplified the effect. The semi decrepit nature of the theater and balcony behind me just added to the mood.

It *felt* like I was there in the dark and gloomy spacecraft cargo bays!

Probably the most intense sci-fi movie experience I've ever had.

You don't need deafening superdolby sound and billions of CGI to make a good movie!

The original Alien rules!

Great story.

I remember vividly going to the theater to see particular movies. I always preferred going by self as a group of friends always wanted to talk or some other nonsense.

Now that I have a little one I sneak out once he's asleep, I prefer catching the last showing on a weeknight. I usually have the place to myself, nothing like it.

Waylander
03-28-17, 20:08
I harbor no illusions this movie will meet the bar set by the originals. I enjoyed Prometheus and the thought provoking, if flawed plot. I don't think I'll be disappointed in this film either.

As for the guys messing around with the alien snake just remember how Alien started. The guy was poking around on the huge egg with a visibly gestating alien inside. :)

SteyrAUG
03-28-17, 20:34
I harbor no illusions this movie will meet the bar set by the originals. I enjoyed Prometheus and the thought provoking, if flawed plot. I don't think I'll be disappointed in this film either.

As for the guys messing around with the alien snake just remember how Alien started. The guy was poking around on the huge egg with a visibly gestating alien inside. :)

Yeah, curiosity is one thing, but as soon as that egg opened I'd have set a "man in space suit" track record. You can tell me what was in it later when I'm back on the ship and we send an unmanned rover.

Doesn't even have to be a big ass alien to kill you, contamination by alien bacteria is all it takes to end your life.

Moose-Knuckle
03-29-17, 03:41
Ridley Scott Reveals the Origin of His Androids in the Alien Saga

LET’S SAY YOU’RE a massive interplanetary corporation that’s sending a ship into space. It would be irresponsible to do that without having a company man on board, right? Without someone keeping an eye on things, the crew might go rogue or try to escape a killer alien. And, as Ridley Scott reasons, it’s “better if the company man is an AI [and] no one aboard knows who the AI is.”

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/ridley-scott-video/

Co-gnARR
03-29-17, 07:01
Ridley Scott Reveals the Origin of His Androids in the Alien Saga

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/ridley-scott-video/
IIRC, Ash was picked up last minute prior to the crew investigating the distress beacon in Alien. This ties in witht the easter egg you mentioned earlier.

Waylander
03-29-17, 13:50
Yeah, curiosity is one thing, but as soon as that egg opened I'd have set a "man in space suit" track record. You can tell me what was in it later when I'm back on the ship and we send an unmanned rover.

Doesn't even have to be a big ass alien to kill you, contamination by alien bacteria is all it takes to end your life.

Putting myself into a situation to have an an alien facehugger attack me would be at the top of my 'what the f*** did I just do?!?' list for sure.

On top of that the crew is all relaxed like 'oh, well.' Then they aren't even really freaked out and decide to cut into the thing and drip acid blood everywhere.

Then when the chest buster comes out of the guy instead of locking all the doors and taking a look at the cameras they walk around in no suits or anything. They just get a cattle prod and a little net to try and catch the baby alien.

It's really pretty funny when you go back and watch it again.

SteyrAUG
03-29-17, 22:06
Putting myself into a situation to have an an alien facehugger attack me would be at the top of my 'what the f*** did I just do?!?' list for sure.

On top of that the crew is all relaxed like 'oh, well.' Then they aren't even really freaked out and decide to cut into the thing and drip acid blood everywhere.

Then when the chest buster comes out of the guy instead of locking all the doors and taking a look at the cameras they walk around in no suits or anything. They just get a cattle prod and a little net to try and catch the baby alien.

It's really pretty funny when you go back and watch it again.

Yeah, they definitely picked the right crew if "bring back a live alien at all cost - crew is expendable" was the goal. It really was like watching people try and herd mice with a broom and dustpan.

Once Kane got facehugged, I'd have rigged a med bay in an airlock and put him under a 24 hour watch. At a minimum, if the parasite dropped off I'd have done a full body x ray. Even by 20th century medical standards they were incompetent. They had a really small window to medically remove the alien and save Kane, and by extension everyone else. But hey let's treat it like a flu bug that just went away and assume everything is going to be fine.

The fact that they didn't engage in a systematic lockdown and search by sector once it killed Kain is just baffling. But they very much had a B squad crew, even Dallas couldn't make decent decisions and he was running the show.

ramairthree
03-30-17, 00:35
I thing part of the Alien vibe was the whole used and tired and common aspect.

This was not the future cutting edge version of highly selected crew like the US 1960s astronaut program.

These were like the equivalent of some bunch of scrubs transporting shipping containers of used Kias.

SteyrAUG
03-30-17, 02:26
I thing part of the Alien vibe was the whole used and tired and common aspect.

This was not the future cutting edge version of highly selected crew like the US 1960s astronaut program.

These were like the equivalent of some bunch of scrubs transporting shipping containers of used Kias.

And I got that, even then. Their primary concern were contract negotiations. But I gotta go back to the level of incompetence that even long haul truck drivers would criticize after an alien life form attached itself to another crew member, even if for no other reason than "make sure nothing bad happens to me."

Carpenter's remake of "The Thing" did this well, a bunch of guys in a "man this sucks" distant outpost suddenly made aware that they were sharing space with a hostile, alien life form. Most of them were not "the right stuff" and they bungled things left and right as they attempted to deal with their situation. But at least they seemed to understand their situation and were motivated to take positive steps to deal with it.

Co-gnARR
03-30-17, 08:56
Well, it would have been a crappy, uneventful movie then, wouldn't it? What aliens would the predators battle in their rites of passage- ewoks?

Moose-Knuckle
04-05-17, 02:35
New teaser set to my favorite John Denver song . . . . :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcfSnaCRoKE

Moose-Knuckle
04-05-17, 02:44
So four new teasers were aired during the TWD Season finale and the NCAA Championship, here is a vid with all of them back to back including the original trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX0L_Getr_o

sniperfrog
04-05-17, 12:55
IIRC, Ash was picked up last minute prior to the crew investigating the distress beacon in Alien. This ties in witht the easter egg you mentioned earlier.

IIRC Dan Obannon, who wrote the original story, did not have the character Ash. That was added later by the screenplay writers. Obannon hated this idea of "the company" planting an android on the ship to bring back an alien. He felt it was unnessecary to the plot and really didn't make sense.

Firefly
04-05-17, 13:49
Without Ash, there would be no Bishop.

Bishop to this day is up there with the Robot from Lost in Space in terms of being a pal.

duece71
04-05-17, 15:18
With respect to time line.....
Where is the Nostromo when Prometheus happens? Has it not been envisioned and launched yet or is it cruising around picking up minerals from various distant planets waiting for the distress signal that "Mother" picks up?
LV223 vs LV426....223 is where the Nostromo crew finds the derilict Alien space ship and 426 is where the marines are sent correct?
The trailers for Covenant look interesting, I will probably see it. I saw the original Alien in the theatres when I was 8....I had nightmares for a while. That film and John Carpenters "The Fog".......frightening for an 8 yr old.

duece71
04-05-17, 15:21
Without Ash, there would be no Bishop.

Bishop to this day is up there with the Robot from Lost in Space in terms of being a pal.

But Ash becomes psychotic.......

Waylander
04-05-17, 16:09
Where is the Nostromo when Prometheus happens? Has it not been envisioned and launched yet or is it cruising around picking up minerals from various distant planets waiting for the distress signal that "Mother" picks up?
LV223 vs LV426....223 is where the Nostromo crew finds the derilict Alien space ship and 426 is where the marines are sent correct?
The trailers for Covenant look interesting, I will probably see it. I saw the original Alien in the theatres when I was 8....I had nightmares for a while. That film and John Carpenters "The Fog".......frightening for an 8 yr old.

The timeline is Prometheus taking place on LV-223, next Covenant where the location is unknown at this point I believe, then Alien and Aliens both taking place on LV-426 over 50 years apart. Humans had terraformed LV-426 during the 50+ years Ripley was in cryosleep and the crew in Aliens investigated after no one had heard from the colony on LV-426 in a while.

But Ash becomes psychotic.......

Ash was programmed by the company to bring back "the perfect life form" xenomorph at all costs. So when the crew began trying to kill the xenomorphs is when he tried to kill the crew.

Waylander
04-05-17, 16:29
First in Prometheus you had the android David which didn't have any qualms about toying with humans on LV-223. If you look at the last part of the trailer collage Moose linked to above it seems in Covenant the new android Walter may be programmed to look after the human crew.

Then in chronological order on LV-426 you had Ash which was programmed to be a POS then Bishop which was strictly programmed to take care of the human crew.

I'm guessing there will be a conflict between David and Walter in Covenant.

duece71
04-05-17, 16:43
The timeline is Prometheus taking place on LV-223, next Covenant where the location is unknown at this point I believe, then Alien and Aliens both taking place on LV-426 over 50 years apart. Humans had terraformed LV-426 during the 50+ years Ripley was in cryosleep and the crew in Aliens investigated after no one had heard from the colony on LV-426 in a while.

Ash was programmed by the company to bring back "the perfect life form" xenomorph at all costs. So when the crew began trying to kill the xenomorphs is when he tried to kill the crew.

Ok. In Aliens, no mention about a derelict space ship being found by the colonists doing the terraforming on LV426. Did the xenomorphs find the colonists? I remember something about Ripley saying that Burke knew about the ship and actually sent colonists to investigate....
True about Ash, but did only Ripley know he was a cyborg? I know when Yaphet Kotos character intervened and tried to stop Ash, that was when Koto found out about Ash.

duece71
04-05-17, 16:45
First in Prometheus you had the android David which didn't have any qualms about toying with humans on LV-223. If you look at the last part of the trailer collage Moose linked to above it seems in Covenant the new android Walter may be programmed to look after the human crew.

Then in chronological order on LV-426 you had Ash which was programmed to be a POS then Bishop which was strictly programmed to take care of the human crew.

I'm guessing there will be a conflict between David and Walter in Covenant.

We will see David and Walter in Convenant.....interesting. David would already be there on "Paradise".

sniperfrog
04-05-17, 17:29
Ok. In Aliens, no mention about a derelict space ship being found by the colonists doing the terraforming on LV426. Did the xenomorphs find the colonists? I remember something about Ripley saying that Burke knew about the ship and actually sent colonists to investigate....
True about Ash, but did only Ripley know he was a cyborg? I know when Yaphet Kotos character intervened and tried to stop Ash, that was when Koto found out about Ash.

There is a deleted scene in Aliens that shows Newts family take a vehicle to go find the derelict space craft. After Ripley told the company about it, Burke sent the colonists to go investigate.

sniperfrog
04-05-17, 17:43

I believe there is about 30 years between Prometheus and the first Alien. The Nostromo finds the derelict craft on LV426.
Originally, Prometheus was supposed to lead up to Alien. Then the studio decided they wanted a trilogy. They brought in a new writer, Damon Lindelof, who ruined/rewrote the story. IIRC that's why they are on LV223 in Prometheus and not LV426.

It's also stated in the first Alien that the derelict craft had been on LV426 for a few thousand years.

duece71
04-05-17, 19:24
There is a deleted scene in Aliens that shows Newts family take a vehicle to go find the derelict space craft. After Ripley told the company about it, Burke sent the colonists to go investigate.

Ok on the deleted scene but.......when did Ripley tell the company about the alien space craft? During her questioning after she was rescued? Sorry, I would have to watch aliens again, been a while.

duece71
04-05-17, 19:26
I believe there is about 30 years between Prometheus and the first Alien. The Nostromo finds the derelict craft on LV426.
Originally, Prometheus was supposed to lead up to Alien. Then the studio decided they wanted a trilogy. They brought in a new writer, Damon Lindelof, who ruined/rewrote the story. IIRC that's why they are on LV223 in Prometheus and not LV426.

It's also stated in the first Alien that the derelict craft had been on LV426 for a few thousand years.

I don't remember that discussion, did it crash on LV426?

SteyrAUG
04-05-17, 20:57

I think it was implied. Don't forget the pilot had a blown out ribcage. According to Xenomorph mythology, in the absence of a queen a xenomorph can metamorphisize into a queen which would explain the ship loaded with eggs. Either that or a Queen stowed away on the ship, load eggs and the pilot became victim to a facehugger and was killed in flight by the maturing alien inside.

Given all that was shown about the Engineers in Prometheus, one has to wonder how such an advanced species fell victim to this life form in the first place. But that is the problem of prequels, they advance the story line to the point that it undermines the original story line often to the point of making it nonsensical.

sniperfrog
04-05-17, 21:57
Ok on the deleted scene but.......when did Ripley tell the company about the alien space craft? During her questioning after she was rescued? Sorry, I would have to watch aliens again, been a while.
Yes, when Ripley is questioned she goes over what happened. That's when Burke tells her that a colony is on LV426. The colony didn't know about the spacecraft until Ripley told the company/Burke and Burke told the colony to go check it out.

sniperfrog
04-05-17, 22:04

When they investigate the spacecraft and find the space jockey, one of them says that the corpse is fossilized so it must have been there for a few thousand years. I can't remember the exact quote but it something like that.

The derelict ship most likely crashed since the space jockey had evidence of a chest burster while he was still in the drivers seat. There was a large hole ripped open in the ship as well that they went through to investigate.

Moose-Knuckle
04-06-17, 04:05

Deleted scene from the theatrical version included in the director's cut where we meet Newt for the first time, her parents were surveyors that were tasked with finding the source of the signal. Remember Ripley and her crew were redirected to LV-426 in the original film AFTER the corporation detected a signal emanating from that particular moon. Love the line where her mom scolds her for playing in the air ducts lol . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iusPorC4wZE

sniperfrog
04-06-17, 12:41
That is a cool deleted scene but I still like the theatrical version when the Marines show up and no one knows what happened, including us viewers.

I've watched the 4 hour "making of Aliens" which is pretty cool too. The APC was an old airport tug that they modified.
Bill Paxton ad libbed most of his lines. Oh, and Sigourney Weaver hates guns and didn't like having to fake use them.

jpmuscle
04-06-17, 13:29
Why the hell do they cut scenes that actually make the plot work?

SteyrAUG
04-06-17, 15:34
Why the hell do they cut scenes that actually make the plot work?

To make room for more explosions and car chases.

Co-gnARR
04-06-17, 20:13
To make room for more explosions and car chases.

Steyr pretty much nailed the short answer.
Also, some cuts were made because the deleted scenes were determined to slow the pace, or distract from the plot line. The footage was added as director's cuts or special editions for the real fans to view later and get more in depth with the movies. For the mainstream in-theater experience the viewers were expected to just want the action and blood and guts and suspense.

Here's a reference for scenes cut from Alien.
https://onthescreenreviews.com/2013/04/10/two-important-scenes-deleted-from-alien-1979/

Waylander
04-07-17, 23:25
Steyr pretty much nailed the short answer.
Also, some cuts were made because the deleted scenes were determined to slow the pace, or distract from the plot line. The footage was added as director's cuts or special editions for the real fans to view later and get more in depth with the movies. For the mainstream in-theater experience the viewers were expected to just want the action and blood and guts and suspense.

Here's a reference for scenes cut from Alien.
https://onthescreenreviews.com/2013/04/10/two-important-scenes-deleted-from-alien-1979/
I agree mostly with the article especially with Lambert's long death scene being cut short and the longer ending would've killed the pace.

Also the extended intro to Aliens where Newt's dad walks into the ship and gets attacked by the face hugger is too much like the original Alien intro. It kills the suspense of what's actually happening on LV426 before the Marines arrive. It's another example of a stupid guy walking into an alien ship and playing with a huge egg not knowing what in the hell he's messing with. I mean, he's living on a freaking space moon for Pete's sake. It's like the farther in the future you go the more stupid humans get.

Now in the Prometheus extras there's a long clip of a young Weyland speaking to a crowd and a video of Shaw explaining her and Holloway's findings and asking Weyland to fund the mission IIRC. I don't think cutting those scenes really detracted that much but I also think it would've been fine to include them.

But leaving out the scene of the Engineers in robes giving the potion to the other one to drink was a big mistake. That scene made no sense to me until I saw the extended clip.

Co-gnARR
04-08-17, 12:19
But leaving out the scene of the Engineers in robes giving the potion to the other one to drink was a big mistake. That scene made no sense to me until I saw the extended clip.

Agreed. For me it totally changes the movie.
I tried to paste a link relevant to the deleted scenes in Aliens but I guess it didn't show up (iPhone is hard to cut/paste/quote sometimes) but one of the big criticisms of the part w/ Newts family was that the viewer felt every bump in that long ride to the derelict ship. It's almost as if the viewer were reliving childhood road trips, stuck for hours on end, waiting for the promise of the fun and action, wondering if it was ever going to happen. It totally destroyed the pace of the Marines in action, which is what made the movie so awesome.

Moose-Knuckle
04-24-17, 05:09
So . . .

********* Fair warning, major SPOILER ALERT below *********

Okay so if you're still reading photos have been leaked from the June issue of Empire showing the Engineers homeworld, David 8 standing on the ramp of the Juggernaut he and Dr. Shaw commandeered , and bombarding the Engineers with the vessels containing the black ooze.

Pics at bottom of link to scroll through.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/04/15/latest-empire-alien-covenant-article-images/

For some reason it's not on YouTube but there was some footage released in Vegas at CinemaCon that showed the bombardment of the Engineer home world. Linked is a video of an international TV spot with the footage.

http://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-international-tv-spot-engineers/

So I gather the movie is going to start off with David 8 who probably killed Dr. Shaw (so I doubt will see her in this installment) and bombed the home world of the Engineers. Then fast forward to the Covenant crew disembarking on orders of the Weyland corporation years later. They arrive as colonists and find a paradise world now inhabited by David 8, Xenomorphs, the new Neomorphs, and "Protomorphs".

duece71
04-24-17, 18:59
Deleted scene from the theatrical version included in the director's cut where we meet Newt for the first time, her parents were surveyors that were tasked with finding the source of the signal. Remember Ripley and her crew were redirected to LV-426 in the original film AFTER the corporation detected a signal emanating from that particular moon. Love the line where her mom scolds her for playing in the air ducts lol . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iusPorC4wZE

Hmmmm, that looks like a pretty important sequence to edit out. The father must have been referenced later by bishop as the guy that they tried to remove the face hugger from and the father dies as a result. Thanks for finding this.

duece71
04-24-17, 19:02
Agreed. For me it totally changes the movie.
I tried to paste a link relevant to the deleted scenes in Aliens but I guess it didn't show up (iPhone is hard to cut/paste/quote sometimes) but one of the big criticisms of the part w/ Newts family was that the viewer felt every bump in that long ride to the derelict ship. It's almost as if the viewer were reliving childhood road trips, stuck for hours on end, waiting for the promise of the fun and action, wondering if it was ever going to happen. It totally destroyed the pace of the Marines in action, which is what made the movie so awesome.

Agreed, but it helped with the background plot and history of what happened. Bishop may have referenced the father. See my above post.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-24-17, 21:26
[QUOTE=duece71;2476302]

I think it was implied. Don't forget the pilot had a blown out ribcage. According to Xenomorph mythology, in the absence of a queen a xenomorph can metamorphisize into a queen which would explain the ship loaded with eggs. Either that or a Queen stowed away on the ship, load eggs and the pilot became victim to a facehugger and was killed in flight by the maturing alien inside.

Given all that was shown about the Engineers in Prometheus, one has to wonder how such an advanced species fell victim to this life form in the first place. But that is the problem of prequels, they advance the story line to the point that it undermines the original story line often to the point of making it nonsensical.

The engineers thought they could play God and nature bit them in the ass? You make the perfect genoecidal weapon....

Moose-Knuckle
04-25-17, 03:39
The engineers thought they could play God and nature bit them in the ass? You make the perfect genoecidal weapon....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PLvdmifDSk

ramairthree
04-25-17, 13:50
In one of the should have been awesome,
But was not,
Alien vs. predator sequels,
A space travel capable group experienced alien hunting predators take off with the body of a predator with an alien in it.
No x ray.
No test.
No SOP for post alien TIC KIAs.
There is no accounting for movie monster logic.

Firefly
04-25-17, 16:10
The original AvP comics ruled. Like the very first comic series. Made perfect sense, had a staisfying plot, and a sensible ending.

Co-gnARR
04-25-17, 19:01
The original AvP comics ruled. Like the very first comic series. Made perfect sense, had a staisfying plot, and a sensible ending.
These comics/graphic novels were made for the thinking crowd...movies need to be made for the paying crowd. Sadly it seems that the studio execs want to appeal to the broadest swath of movie goers possible, so, in their eyes, the slobbering masses of mouth breathing, neck bearding WoW'ers get mixed in with the people who enjoy using their fully developed frontal lobes to ponder the possibilities of creative thought (who seem to be the minority of movie going sci fi fans) as 'target audience'.

grnamin
04-26-17, 15:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

Moose-Knuckle
04-27-17, 04:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

Thanks for posting this, I was going to once I logged back in.

April 26th was Alien Day. :cool:

So I guess we will see Dr. Shaw in this be it a short part.

JusticeM4
04-28-17, 13:05
Interesting preview.

On a side note (for the thinking type movie-viewer), if this crew is technologically advanced since they're in the future, can travel light years away, have billions in funding, have technology to create AI humanoids and cryofreeze humans for long term-- why not create like an Ironman suit for the crew instead of standard space suits. You know, for protection from nasty aliens and such. Instead of walking around like idiots and get killed. It would make too much sense, I guess, and ruin the fun.

glocktogo
04-28-17, 13:28
Interesting preview.

On a side note (for the thinking type movie-viewer), if this crew is technologically advanced since they're in the future, can travel light years away, have billions in funding, have technology to create AI humanoids and cryofreeze humans for long term-- why not create like an Ironman suit for the crew instead of standard space suits. You know, for protection from nasty aliens and such. Instead of walking around like idiots and get killed. It would make too much sense, I guess, and ruin the fun.

Same reason we don't have super-suits for our troops. The most expendable component is the organic one.

JusticeM4
04-28-17, 14:08
Same reason we don't have super-suits for our troops. The most expendable component is the organic one.

Presently it is too expensive and the tech really doesn't exist yet to deploy such suits to our military.

But a privately-funded outfit such as in the Alien movies with billions of dollars and decades into the future, shouldn't be an issue. I would actually invest in that tech as a primary safety measure and more efficient movement e.g. fly from the main ship to a remote location, have built in weapons, makes equipment carrying much easier.

But I digress. I'm still waiting for actual flying cars we were promised 50yrs ago (not some helicopter/drone)

Waylander
04-28-17, 18:18
Interesting preview.

Presently it is too expensive and the tech really doesn't exist yet to deploy such suits to our military.

But a privately-funded outfit such as in the Alien movies with billions of dollars and decades into the future, shouldn't be an issue. I would actually invest in that tech as a primary safety measure and more efficient movement e.g. fly from the main ship to a remote location, have built in weapons, makes equipment carrying much easier.

But I digress. I'm still waiting for actual flying cars we were promised 50yrs ago (not some helicopter/drone)

Technically at the point of Prometheus humans didn't know about alien life as far as we know and had no reason to suspect they would need more protection than usual.

You can't assume the future means a more Utopian and relatively smart society. Or that the Weyland Corporation and industry in general would have a driving want or need to engineer better safety gear. This is a rich and greedy corporation after all. There's no telling how many man hours and how much money they exhausted making androids instead of making humans safer.

In Prometheus, the humans were glad for the chance to go on the mission or were just getting paid to do a job without said safety gear. They were only useful for what information they could provide about the host planets, moons, susceptibility, etc. up until the point they were expendable. Even after alien life was discovered in Prometheus, Weyland Corporation later showed they were willing to sacrifice the human crew just to have Ash bring back a Xenomorph.

It really isn't a stretch considering what technology has brought us since the 20th century. Are we any safer than we were in the 1900's? You could argue we have longer life spans but that's mostly due to drugs that prolong death from conditions we largely inflict on ourselves. As technology progresses so do the dangers it presents in civilian life or otherwise.

ramairthree
04-28-17, 20:40
I found it interesting that until the lates 90s I was using kit essentially the same as grunts had been using since three or more decades previously.

Then there was an explosion of various types of kit, pretty much settling into plate hangers, plus a battle belt or stuff on your rigger belt.

How many decades until the next big evolution that settles into something?

Weight seems to have remained constant or increasing.

Light weight items seem to evolve slower than everyone having a radio, NODs, more stuff on their guns, etc.

militarymoron
05-19-17, 19:31
anyone seen it yet?

kenny256
05-19-17, 20:21
Yes, they are still rocking m4s and pump 12ga shotguns 100 years from now.

Movie was ok....not good not bad...but I'm watching alien tonight to get my fix and saw this movie last night

Looks like BCM the jack carbine and the tavor were futuristic enough....oh, and I think I saw a Beretta 92fs in there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
05-19-17, 20:33
anyone seen it yet?

For me this is a wait until DVD film.

kenny256
05-19-17, 20:35
For me this is a wait until DVD film.
A solid choice.

Watch the original and you will be more pleased.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

militarymoron
05-19-17, 21:30
Hmm...DVD it is then. I had higher hopes for this. OK, not all is lost. We still have 'bladerunner' and '6 days' left.

donlapalma
05-20-17, 16:21
Saw it today. Don't regret seeing it in the theater and wouldn't steer anybody away from it necessarily. At the same time, it's not likely to be a movie I watch again. Once was enough type deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Slater
05-20-17, 17:52
Saw it this morning. OK, not great. The origins of certain things are revealed, as well as what happened to Elizabeth Shaw (from "Prometheus").

rushca01
05-20-17, 23:30
In alien they discover the derilict space ship full of eggs with face huggers which is some 100 years after the events of covenant but crash landed thousands of years ago. This movie makes it seem like David created the face hugger and ergo the xenomorph....

Koshinn
05-20-17, 23:38
In alien they discover the derilict space ship full of eggs with face huggers which is some 100 years after the events of covenant but crash landed thousands of years ago. This movie makes it seem like David created the face hugger and ergo the xenomorph....

Alien takes place 20 years after Covenant, which takes place 10 years after Prometheus.

There are supposed to be 2-3 more movies between Covenant and Alien that should explain how the eggs got on the ship on LV-426

rushca01
05-21-17, 06:47
T
Alien takes place 20 years after Covenant, which takes place 10 years after Prometheus.

There are supposed to be 2-3 more movies between Covenant and Alien that should explain how the eggs got on the ship on LV-426

Agree, but in alien it was implied that ship had been crashed there for thousands of years.

Slater
05-21-17, 07:48
David's supposed creation of the xenomorphs and the crashed ship on LV-426 would seem to be an inconsistency that needs to be resolved.

duece71
05-22-17, 08:15
I saw it last Saturday. The whole movie was predictable. Sounds like one inept decision by a newly crowned ships captain sent them all to doom. Meh, it was just ok for me, I might go see it again just to make sure I didn't miss any details.

Alex V
05-22-17, 08:20
Saw it last night. I would give it 6/10. It was entertaining but it created more problems than it solved in the whole Alien timeline.

duece71
05-22-17, 15:56
David's supposed creation of the xenomorphs and the crashed ship on LV-426 would seem to be an inconsistency that needs to be resolved.

Agreed, now a human created cyborg is making the xenomorphs? Good lord, the head spins.....until it comes off.

Moose-Knuckle
05-25-17, 02:56

One theory out there is that this is Ridley Scott's way of flipping his middle finger to the studios from James Cameron's Aleins onward and is going a completely different direction. One possible Easter egg, and it would MAMMOTH is that the "space jokey" in the original Alien is not an Engineer and instead David, Tennessee, or even Daniels inside Engineer space suit.

Agreed, now a human created cyborg is making the xenomorphs? Good lord, the head spins.....until it comes off.

In Prometheus the crew sets out to discover the ancient astronauts that had visited Earth in the past and created humanity. There is no clear explanation as to why the Convenient crew and the 2k colonists in cyrosleep left Earth. David tells Walter that the human race is dying, presumably having to leave Earth due to the planet dying and that humans don't deserve to start over. David is angry with humanity for creating him and his kind to be their servants. Discovering the Engineers bio weapon was his chance to wipe out humans and play god himself.

AI is the real antagonist here, not the aliens as they are just a means to an end.