PDA

View Full Version : BCM RECCE 16 Bronze Review

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-02-17, 17:23
So this is the first part of a 2 part review for the BCM RECCE 16. Part 1 is an unboxing and initial impressions review and part 2 will be some range time. So my buddy bought the BCM for his first AR since leaving Massachusetts. He chose the BCM over Daniel Defense, him and I both agreed with the RECCE and the DD V7 LW being the same price that the BCM came with more bang for the buck and had furniture that he preferred. BCM charging handles are great and the BCM comes with the mod 4 charging handle standard while DD just comes with a milspec charging handle. The BCM mod 0 comp was another deciding factor, the mod 0 offers a flatter shooting rifle than the DD flash hider. The final factor was the BCM PNT trigger. The PNT is almost identical to the ALG ACT which my friend likes in one of my rifles, it may not be a Geissele or CMC but it is a better trigger than the standard milspec in DD. This post is not meant to bash DD in anyway but I'm giving reasons why he chose the BCM over DD. The RECCE is a very light rifle weighing in at 6.1 pounds thanks to the 13 inch KMR rail. the rail feels solid and offers continous 1913 rail up top and allows you to mount whatever else you want with keymod. The rifle included one small 3 inch or so keymod piece of 1913 rail. The mod 3 grip gives a nice angle that is more vertical and extremely comfortable. The mod 0 gunfighter stock is no frills and offers plenty of space for cheekweld. The rifle has a tight finish with almost no play and everything feels sturdy without being heavy or bulky. In the coming weeks we'll be taking it to the range and it will be have a leupold mk6 1-6 for a little while but ultimately a trijicon accupower 1-4 will find a permanent place on it. The rifle balances well and we have high hopes for it.

http://youtu.be/bUacRFH7_0Q

Eurodriver
03-02-17, 17:57
Cool. How's it shoot?

clayb2004
03-02-17, 18:04
The trigger is a good place to hit Daniel Defense. That is my only complaint about my DDM4V7. For the price they command they should at the least include an ALG trigger instead of stock mil-spec. Mine was quickly swapped for a Geissele.

That is a nice gun though...if it shoots as good as it looks you're going to be pleased.

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-02-17, 20:53
Yeah when you pay that much for a rifle it should have a decent trigger, I do respect that about noveske putting the ALG in all their guns besides the N6 that get the SSA's. The BCM PNT feels just like the ALG.

Stickman
03-03-17, 00:37
Yeah when you pay that much for a rifle it should have a decent trigger, I do respect that about noveske putting the ALG in all their guns besides the N6 that get the SSA's. The BCM PNT feels just like the ALG.

The basic Noveske which is similar to the one in this thread is $2600 (roughly). I would call that comparison apples and oranges. $2600 is a lot of money for a carbine, and while I wouldn't call that a waste, I would say that you have a lot of options in the $2600 range.

BCM is coming in substantially cheaper, enough so that you can probably outfit the entire weapon at that price. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of Noveske and BCM carbines (including one in bronze which everyone loves), but what can't I do with one that I can do with the other?

Back to the OP, that is a beautiful carbine, and more than equals performance with its looks.

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-03-17, 13:51
The basic Noveske which is similar to the one in this thread is $2600 (roughly). I would call that comparison apples and oranges. $2600 is a lot of money for a carbine, and while I wouldn't call that a waste, I would say that you have a lot of options in the $2600 range.

BCM is coming in substantially cheaper, enough so that you can probably outfit the entire weapon at that price. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of Noveske and BCM carbines (including one in bronze which everyone loves), but what can't I do with one that I can do with the other?

Back to the OP, that is a beautiful carbine, and more than equals performance with its looks.

I'm not dogging noveske at all, my dream rifle is a 16 inch switch block gen iii with the quad rail. I have one 18 spr barrel and one 16 chf barrel and love both. BCM and Noveske make good stuff but I think that noveske offers some stuff that BCM doesn't and vise versa. I was just saying that I like how noveske puts a solid trigger in their guns while DD leaves you with mil spec units.

Stickman
03-03-17, 14:14
I'm not dogging noveske at all, my dream rifle is a 16 inch switch block gen iii with the quad rail. I have one 18 spr barrel and one 16 chf barrel and love both. BCM and Noveske make good stuff but I think that noveske offers some stuff that BCM doesn't and vise versa. I was just saying that I like how noveske puts a solid trigger in their guns while DD leaves you with mil spec units.

I'm not sure how you got the idea of you dogging Noveske, but I didn't think you were.

Look at the bright side, most unboxing threads are quickly locked, you seem to have gotten away with yours. :-)

tehpwnag3
03-03-17, 16:39
Very nice, and IBTL!

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-03-17, 21:18
I'm not sure how you got the idea of you dogging Noveske, but I didn't think you were.

Look at the bright side, most unboxing threads are quickly locked, you seem to have gotten away with yours. :-)

Well the range review is coming, hopefully my buddy is feeling better tomorrow to hit the range, we rented a bay out tomorrow so we'll get a chance to run some drills with it.