PDA

View Full Version : My plate carrier saved my life

Wake27
03-03-17, 12:58
I spent all of February down at FT Polk for a JRTC rotation with my BDE. It went pretty well, much better than I expected and was a good experience, but I was involved in an accident at the end in which I came out very lucky. Endex (or more correctly, "change of mission") had just been called and we were close to heading out of the box and getting ready to come home. Out of my entire company, I was the only one still wearing my armor at that point, for a number of reasons. I took my personal plate carrier (OPT's version of the APC) for the first time to an Army training exercise because I knew we'd be in plates for the whole rotation, and I wasn't about to wear my IBA and FLC that whole time.

We were about to conduct a convoy (I'm a distro PL right now) to grab MREs for the BN and I must've spent 30 seconds debating whether or not to switch to my chest rig. But, since the straps were in another bag that was locked up in a conex and the plate carrier was relatively comfy anyways, I decided to just keep it on. Oddly enough, if I brought my IBA, I wouldn't have even been in possession of it at that time - the line companies had just completed an LFX and were required by JRTC to wear IBAs or IOTVs, so our whole company had to give up our issued armor to temporarily replace any plate carriers in those companies. That odd equation saved my life. Before rolling out, I decided to download the MREs in the bed of my HMMWV. We didn't need that space, but I wanted them out anyways. It was only 25 boxes going from the back of the truck to one of our LHS flat racks that we had dropped earlier. I ground guided my driver to within a few feet of the A-frame on the flat rack and then began hurriedly downloading boxes. We were almost done and my back was to the HMMWV when I heard people yelling to watch out. I felt someone tug at me but assumed that my driver had sent an MRE box flying and that it would hit me, which I wasn't really worried about. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw the rear of my HMMWV, maybe a second before it rolled into me and pinned me against the a-frame. It took a few seconds before I realized what was happening. The truck was uphill, the brake had failed, and we hadn't put down the chock block because we would be there for only a few minutes. I was in between the flat rack and my HMMWV when it started to roll backwards and caught me. I felt a rush of panic as I realized that I was being crushed between the two, with the a-frame bar going diagonally across my chest. I vaguely remember seeing my driver pushing the truck and briefly tried to do the same, but quickly realized that it wouldn't work. There was a lot of commotion and I yelled something to the extent of "get it the **** off of me." I think I was pinned for about 10-15 seconds, with the majority of the crushing pressure impacting the right side of my ribcage, under my arm. The next thing I remember was slowly wandering over to the BN TOC, maybe 50 yards away, gasping for air and holding my right arm into my side. My driver was in tears, frantically moving around me trying to figure out how to help. He was shouting for a medic as everyone around the TOC stopped and looked at us, probably trying to decide if it was real. Someone came into view, sprinting towards us and stopped just short, asking who needed help. I just muttered "its me" but I think he had already figured it out. Within an instant there were a dozen people helping me. I ended up being air medevac'd to the hospital on main post where they ran a number of tests but ultimately concluded I had suffered nothing more than bruised ribs.

Every medical professional that examined me, probably close to a dozen, all said the same thing - wearing plates saved my life. I've had a lot of time to overanalyze everything that happened and there are still moments where the realization comes back to me. I went back and forth about even posting here, but talking about it helps me digest it. It wasn't really a big deal, but so closely could have been. I'm not overly religious, but I do believe enough to know that there is a reason that I ended up wearing my plates. There have been a lot of forum members here that have told me to stay safe, which I appreciated in the past, but never felt was necessary since we're not deploying. I appreciate it a lot more now so my thanks to those of you that have.

There's really not much to show, the bruising feels a lot worse than it looks and two PMAGs were they only real damage to my kit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170303/4bac7a004a28173a6182e3fb05069b13.jpg

I don't know if it made it better or worse that the spare antenna mount was what pinned me, but seeing how it turned out, I'm leaning toward the former.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170303/7e1eb95adc8c365f6e1e625df399f1d9.jpg

Coal Dragger
03-03-17, 13:05
I tried to read your giant word fort, but you forgot to break it down into paragraphs.

Glad you're OK. I'm sure the Army will bill you for damaging their antenna mount.

RetroRevolver77
03-03-17, 13:07
The plate carrier didn't save us from your lack of paragraphs.

Wake27
03-03-17, 13:09
I'm still on narcotics...

RetroRevolver77
03-03-17, 13:27
deleted

Outlander Systems
03-03-17, 13:46
Glad you're still this side of the dirt, dude.

nml
03-03-17, 13:49
Glad you can laugh about it.

AK mags might have saved you too. jk

mark5pt56
03-03-17, 13:49
Glad you are ok, learning experience as well. Hey--maybe Magpul will hook you up with a couple new ones!

Singlestack Wonder
03-03-17, 13:54
Unbelievable.....Great to hear that you are OK!

WickedWillis
03-03-17, 14:23
Glad you are okay man. Ignore the assholes with nothing better to do.

Scrubber3
03-03-17, 14:31
Glad you are okay. Now it will become SOP that everyone wear a plate carrier while out of garrison. :)

Eurodriver
03-03-17, 14:31
Having served in Hawaii and been to JRTC I felt a kind of "that could have been me" while reading your post, Wake. Glad you are okay. You're in my Top 10 M4C Members!

Glad you are okay man. Ignore the assholes with nothing better to do.

No shit.

Sam
03-03-17, 14:38
Glad you're ok sir.

Firefly
03-03-17, 14:55
Man, that sucks. God was keeping an eye on you.

Kenneth
03-03-17, 15:30
Wow man. Extremely lucky. Glad your ok. It brings home how much force was on you when the Pmags failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital_Damage
03-03-17, 15:35
In Russian we don't wear plate carriers... oh wait

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2016519/rs_1024x759-160619113953-1024.anton.cm.61716.jpg

Wake27
03-03-17, 15:39
Glad you are okay. Now it will become SOP that everyone wear a plate carrier while out of garrison. :)

I joked with some coworkers about that one haha.

In Russian we don't wear plate carriers... oh wait

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2016519/rs_1024x759-160619113953-1024.anton.cm.61716.jpg

Nice. Even better that I have a Grand Cherokee and now it automatically shifts to park whenever the door is opened because of that. I hate that recall.

Big A
03-03-17, 17:03
Like most everyone else that has already posted I too am glad to hear that you're ok and recovering.

And you wankers that gave him shit about proper grammar can bugger off.

ABNAK
03-03-17, 17:42
The military is a high-risk occupation, even without actual combat. Glad you're okay. Someone likes you apparently (Lady Luck, God, whoever).

And yeah, the grammar Nazi's can ESAD.

militarymoron
03-03-17, 17:44
Glad you're ok, man.

Coal Dragger
03-03-17, 19:11
I'm still on narcotics...

I was just razzing you a little. Glad you're OK. Never thought SAPI plates would save a guy from being crushed. Typical that your HMMV would roll out on you. Never drove one or was around one that had a functional parking brake that could be trusted.

Gombey
03-03-17, 20:24
Glad your ok brother.

Knew it was going to be bad when I read the words Ft Polk.

_Stormin_
03-05-17, 06:28
It's good to read you're OK. The amount of force required to cause the PMAGs to fail is probably something that they have measured and know about. It's nuts that you were able to come away with nothing more than bruised ribs.

usmcvet
03-05-17, 09:11
Looks like the mount helped keep the impact to the chest and spared your lower torso and legs. This isma good training scar to have shared with all of us. It isn't always the bad guy with the gun who gets us.

3 AE
03-05-17, 15:10
AAR Checklist:

1) Going to latrine. Wear plate carrier. Check
2) Dinner out with family. Wear plate carrier. Check
3) Show and tell about incident at local elementary school. Wear plate carrier. Check
4) Going to Costco, Wal-Mart, on Black Friday Sale. Wear plate carrier. Check
5) Take out garbage to curbside. Wear plate carrier. Check
6) Shadow box damaged Magpul mags after receiving free replacements from Magpul. Check
7) Produce and star in reenactment Public Safety Video for M4C.net members. Wear plate carrier throughout production. Check
8) Always chock up every friggin wheel on a HMMWV whenever parking brake is engaged. And wear the plate carrier. Check

Glad you came out out it AOK Wake. Karma was on your side on that one!

GTF425
03-05-17, 15:40
Goddammit, LT...

Glad you're okay, brother.

SeriousStudent
03-05-17, 18:02
First things first: Wake27, PM me your address. I'll send you replacement PMAG's. Glad you are okay.

Second thing: A service member almost gets crushed through no fault of their own, and wants to post a lesson learned. If someone wants to make a pair of stupid remarks about that, they should be prepared to take a vacation.

Which they currently are.

Koshinn
03-05-17, 18:08
Glad you're ok Wake!

AAR Checklist:
6) Shadow box damaged Magpul mags after receiving free replacements from Magpul. Check

You just died, bro. You didn't wear your plate carrier while making the shadow box.

TXBK
03-05-17, 19:10
I'm glad you are ok, Wake.

Pinch points are a major thing to be aware of, regardless of what you are doing. Whether, it is fingers, hands, feet, legs, arms, torso, or even your head, it is vital to be aware of where you are putting your body. Bodies give when metal doesn't. I have been pinched, and it didn't and doesn't usually work out for the best. Stay safe, and be careful where you put your self or your body parts.

JoshNC
03-05-17, 20:05
Wow, scary stuff. Glad you are okay.

SeriousStudent
03-05-17, 20:36

Pinch points are a major thing to be aware of, regardless of what you are doing. Whether, it is fingers, hands, feet, legs, arms, torso, or even your head, it is vital to be aware of where you are putting your body. Bodies give when metal doesn't. I have been pinched, and it didn't and doesn't usually work out for the best. Stay safe, and be careful where you put your self or your body parts.

Yes, accidents like that where you work are usually fatal. I remember reading about them almost once a week when I was a kid. :(

wildcard600
03-05-17, 20:59
That is crazy.

Glad you are okay.

MegademiC
03-05-17, 22:02

This!
Stay vigilent! Chock the wheels if it's for 5 seconds, and stay out of pinch points whenever possible, even for 5 seconds. Most people lose a body part at least.

Someone was watching your ass!

Glad you're ok. Thanks for sharing. Your story could save someone's life.

3 AE
03-05-17, 22:09
Glad you're ok Wake!

You just died, bro. You didn't wear your plate carrier while making the shadow box.

You nailed me on that one! :cool:

Wake27
03-06-17, 01:40
Thanks for the support guys. What's sad is at the beginning of the rotation someone apparently lost their leg when a Blackhawk rolled over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hootiewho
03-06-17, 06:22
I watched a dude take his terminal breath while trying desperately to free him from being traped between a small pine tree and a vehicle bumper.

We also had a Deputy who died while on duty in the county I live in a few years back in a freak accident like yours. A good buddy of mine was the Trooper who found him. Very sad case.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/20258-deputy-sheriff-william-frederick-schuck-iii

OP, it just wasn't your time. I'll be straight up, do not dwell on it or let it mess with your head. Freaky things happen, you got lucky, move on.

chuckman
03-06-17, 08:03
Holy moly, man....that was a real near-death thing. You must be part cat, because that's one life down.

Glad you are OK. For reals.

Averageman
03-06-17, 08:14
You got real lucky.
This is the stuff that drives me crazy at work. We had a young guy have the same thing happen, except he was between two Strykers and yes, his plate carrier saved him. I would guess perhaps three times a week I have to remind people to be careful of this.
Between walking under a load on a crane, hooking up a tow bar and two vehicles coming together, I would guess I've seen four guys who weren't so lucky over the years.
You are really, really one lucky guy today.
Buy a Lottery Ticket.

cbx
03-06-17, 08:43
You got lucky man. Always respect equipment and wheels. Been around heavy equipment my whole life, and it will absolutely kill you if your not vigilant and smart. Doesn't even take that big of an F up to wind up dead or dismembered. I've seen photos and been around enough bad accidents that its horrifying.

My best friend growing up decided to get into a feed mixer (think giant ass effing blender), while running...... 3 years to get him semi normal. I don't even remember how many bone repairs and pins done.

Gravity, and least resistance is always at play. Mechanical power is no joke either.

Just be glad it pinched you there. A bit lower you'd been wheel chair bound shiting in a bag best case scenario.

Everyone always always needs to take 2 seconds and analyze the situation when putting yourself between and under objects. Moving parts will deglove or do other parts off you body with complete disregard for your well being.

You have no idea sir how lucky you are. You must be living right! Keep that going, but please be safer next time.

Buckaroo
03-06-17, 10:06
Glad to hear that you avoided serious injury or death. Came super close to loosing a leg while pitching bales as a teen. Makes one more aware of the common dangers around us. That and responding to VFD calls...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk