PDA

View Full Version : Colony

Koshinn
03-03-17, 23:40
On USA on Thursdays. It's on season 2 now, season 1 is on Netflix. It's not "The" Colony, just "Colony".

It takes place in Los Angeles after aliens have taken over already. The main characters thread the gap between collaborator and rebel.

Oh, and this scene happened yesterday... one long take (they may have cheated a couple places like in Children of Men) house clearing for almost 4 minutes.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ducgf

Some context: The blonde lady in the beginning believes the aliens are actually good and completely buys in to their religion. She's tutoring two of the kids of the main characters, the husband and wife that are seen momentarily from the upstairs window, then as they enter the house. The bloody hand print is the calling card of a group of rebels/terrorists/freedom fighters - they used it previously when bombing a bunch of office workers. The boy had spent the last year basically being a thug and miscreant, so he's pretty street-wise, while the daughter has been mostly sheltered, but she trusts him. This is from Season 2 Episode 8 and it only contains very mild spoilers.

MountainRaven
03-04-17, 00:02
Video's been pulled.

Koshinn
03-04-17, 00:05
Well that sucks.

Tried another link in the OP.

RobertTheTexan
03-04-17, 02:24
So why are the"freedom fighters" trying to kill the main characters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koshinn
03-04-17, 09:31
So why are the"freedom fighters" trying to kill the main characters?

Basically, the aliens use the collaborators to keep peace in the colonies. The collaborators are the government. Will (the father) works as a police detective sort of person and is very good at tracking down the rebels. So he's a target of interest.

Also, he was partially responsible for the death of the daughter of that rebel cell's leader. Or at least, that's what the leader probably thinks.

The show basically takes a sci-fi spin on occupied Paris in WW2. The Nazi symbolism is very strong with "the authority". The alien collaborators basically realize that if they don't keep the peace, the aliens will just wipe out humanity as an inconvenience. The rebels think they can actually do something about the invasion, but so far it seems the collaborators are right.

MountainRaven
03-05-17, 02:29
Well that sucks.

Tried another link in the OP.

...and it's gone.

Basically, the aliens use the collaborators to keep peace in the colonies. The collaborators are the government. Will (the father) works as a police detective sort of person and is very good at tracking down the rebels. So he's a target of interest.

Also, he was partially responsible for the death of the daughter of that rebel cell's leader. Or at least, that's what the leader probably thinks.

The show basically takes a sci-fi spin on occupied Paris in WW2. The Nazi symbolism is very strong with "the authority". The alien collaborators basically realize that if they don't keep the peace, the aliens will just wipe out humanity as an inconvenience. The rebels think they can actually do something about the invasion, but so far it seems the collaborators are right.

To be entirely fair, the insurgents have only had one really meaningfully effective operation as of the end of season one. And that operation nearly got LA flattened. In fact, except for that operation, the insurgency had only succeeded in getting humans killed: Insurgents, collaborators, bystanders. And killing the collaborators - anyone other than minions and peons, anyway - only results in more effective insurgent hunters taking their place.

And planting bombs and killing bureaucrats doesn't seem like an effective way to fight against a species/government capable of interstellar travel who conquered the entire planet virtually overnight with maybe a dozen casualties.

pinzgauer
03-05-17, 08:59
It's not just an action show, or pure SF as much as exploring the occupation/collaboration scenario. Which seems easy until you have to pick between resistance and family, etc.

Also interesting that the occupiers (aliens) are using a perversion of religion as a method. (Won't say more due to spoilers)

It's not a perfect show, some anomolies. But some decent characters and actors. One being Peter Jacobson from the "House" series.

And Rick's wife from the walking dead, who I really disliked back then, but don't mind as much in this series.

A little better done than Falling Skies, and also a bit more interesting due to the collaboration scenario

Alex V
03-05-17, 09:12
Just watched the trailers on YT and the first thing I said was "Oh god, Lori is back!"

pinzgauer
03-05-17, 09:42
Just watched the trailers on YT and the first thing I said was "Oh god, Lori is back!"
And "Sawyer" from "Lost". Who skates the line between annoying with the Sonny Crocket pretty boy vibe and decent action

RobertTheTexan
03-05-17, 11:28

Thanks for the insight....sounds pretty interesting.

...and it's gone.

To be entirely fair, the insurgents have only had one really meaningfully effective operation as of the end of season one. And that operation nearly got LA flattened. In fact, except for that operation, the insurgency had only succeeded in getting humans killed: Insurgents, collaborators, bystanders. And killing the collaborators - anyone other than minions and peons, anyway - only results in more effective insurgent hunters taking their place.

And planting bombs and killing bureaucrats doesn't seem like an effective way to fight against a species/government capable of interstellar travel who conquered the entire planet virtually overnight with maybe a dozen casualties.

Interest Peaked. Season 1 added to list.

Thanks for for the additional info guys.

Alex V
03-05-17, 13:04
And "Sawyer" from "Lost". Who skates the line between annoying with the Sonny Crocket pretty boy vibe and decent action

Never watched Lost and based on the stories friends who have told me of the finally I am glad I didn't.

Season 1 of Colony is on Netflix so I'll give it a try. Like others have said, it appears to be a better Falling Skies. Falling skies was good until middle of season 2. I need something to watch until GoT comes back. TWD has been bitterly disappointing as of late.

Koshinn
03-05-17, 13:21
...and it's gone.

They did mention at one point that humans managed to kill 2 aliens... And the aliens flattened the entire city in response.

MountainRaven
03-05-17, 14:06
They did mention at one point that humans managed to kill 2 aliens... And the aliens flattened the entire city in response.

Yes. That's the number that I based my estimate on. IIRC, those two were killed during the invasion. So if the US managed to kill two in one city during the invasion, it's possible that other aliens were killed in other locations - although we don't know, due to lack of communications during the invasion and because the collaboration government is very tight fisted with information.

In any event, it seems that killing aliens is not an effective method of ensuring a Good End for the human species. Not unless the insurgents can find a way to prevent the aliens from being able to attack earth directly - and any such defense would have to be available simultaneously with a successful global effort to take control of all the blocs.

Benito
03-05-17, 21:02
Great, so we're back to eeeeevil Nazis the sci-fi version.
Perhaps the Hollywood commies could do a show that references the Bolshevik mass genocide against Christians and ethnic Slavs, or the Soviet mass rapes of German, Jewish, Polish, etc. women as they "liberated" Eastern Europe and Germany - never gonna happen.

Be aware that literally everything that is funded is by its nature saturated in political ideology.

MountainRaven
03-05-17, 21:53
Great, so we're back to eeeeevil Nazis the sci-fi version.
Perhaps the Hollywood commies could do a show that references the Bolshevik mass genocide against Christians and ethnic Slavs, or the Soviet mass rapes of German, Jewish, Polish, etc. women as they "liberated" Eastern Europe and Germany - never gonna happen.

Be aware that literally everything that is funded is by its nature saturated in political ideology.

Just like your posts.

Spiffums
03-06-17, 20:55
It's not just an action show, or pure SF as much as exploring the occupation/collaboration scenario. Which seems easy until you have to pick between resistance and family, etc.

Also interesting that the occupiers (aliens) are using a perversion of religion as a method. (Won't say more due to spoilers)

It's not a perfect show, some anomolies. But some decent characters and actors. One being Peter Jacobson from the "House" series.

And Rick's wife from the walking dead, who I really disliked back then, but don't mind as much in this series.

A little better done than Falling Skies, and also a bit more interesting due to the collaboration scenario

I can't stand her. I tried to watch it with an open mind but she is just nails on a chalk board to me. I did think it was funny that she was in the "rebels" and he was the one hunting the rebels.

SteyrAUG
03-06-17, 21:26
On USA on Thursdays. It's on season 2 now, season 1 is on Netflix. It's not "The" Colony, just "Colony".

It takes place in Los Angeles after aliens have taken over already. The main characters thread the gap between collaborator and rebel.

Oh, and this scene happened yesterday... one long take (they may have cheated a couple places like in Children of Men) house clearing for almost 4 minutes.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ducgf

Some context: The blonde lady in the beginning believes the aliens are actually good and completely buys in to their religion. She's tutoring two of the kids of the main characters, the husband and wife that are seen momentarily from the upstairs window, then as they enter the house. The bloody hand print is the calling card of a group of rebels/terrorists/freedom fighters - they used it previously when bombing a bunch of office workers. The boy had spent the last year basically being a thug and miscreant, so he's pretty street-wise, while the daughter has been mostly sheltered, but she trusts him. This is from Season 2 Episode 8 and it only contains very mild spoilers.

Sounds like a reboot of V.

Koshinn
03-06-17, 23:31
Sounds like a reboot of V.

I haven't actually seen V. :( Maybe I'll have to watch that? Wasn't that already rebooted once?

SteyrAUG
03-07-17, 15:09
I haven't actually seen V. :( Maybe I'll have to watch that? Wasn't that already rebooted once?

Yes, there were two seasons in 2009 that I was enjoying and they never made another.

But the original 1983 and 1984 mini series with Jane Badler, Penelope Windust and Marc Singer were awesome. They were a thinly veiled allegory about how something like nazi Germany could happen with regular folks who were either deceived, blinded by their newfound wealth and power or simply evil enough to go along with it.

The special effects are now dated and definitely "made for tv" but the story and writing were strong enough that it didn't really matter.

glocktogo
03-07-17, 15:53
Yes, there were two seasons in 2009 that I was enjoying and they never made another.

But the original 1983 and 1984 mini series with Jane Badler, Penelope Windust and Marc Singer were awesome. They were a thinly veiled allegory about how something like nazi Germany could happen with regular folks who were either deceived, blinded by their newfound wealth and power or simply evil enough to go along with it.

The special effects are now dated and definitely "made for tv" but the story and writing were strong enough that it didn't really matter.

Morena Baccarin was HOT in the reboot. :)

Koshinn
03-07-17, 16:23

Can I skip the old version and watch the reboot?

SteyrAUG
03-07-17, 16:24

Yes she was. But I'm still partial to Jane Badler. Must be the 80s hair and tight fitting space uniforms.

SteyrAUG
03-07-17, 16:28
Can I skip the old version and watch the reboot?

It doesn't end, it's like it ran out of money, I haven't been that frustrated since the original Battlestar Galactica abruptly was canceled without a satisfactory conclusion, not as frustrated as the kid who committed suicide but I was really bummed. Also I think the 83/84 series was superior.

TAZ
03-07-17, 20:18

10000+ to this. Had a SERIOUS crush on her from Firefly and this just fanned the flames.

Benito
03-07-17, 21:33
Just like your posts.

Yes, but I do not pretend otherwise.
Also, I am not subverting Western civilization, unlike Hollywood.

Anywhoo, anybody have a working link to this clip?

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 01:19
Yes, but I do not pretend otherwise.
Also, I am not subverting Western civilization, unlike Hollywood.

Anywhoo, anybody have a working link to this clip?

I have a question, when Hollywood made the original "Red Dawn" in 1984, how were they subverting western civilization?

MountainRaven
05-04-18, 19:40
Season two is on Netflix, now. And it's pretty good.

"It would be a mistake to let a crisis go to waste."
-Head of the pro-occupation Greatest Day religious group.

pinzgauer
05-05-18, 07:12
Season two is on Netflix, now. And it's pretty good.

"It would be a mistake to let a crisis go to waste."
-Head of the pro-occupation Greatest Day religious group.And season 3 is live