PDA

View Full Version : Going to Israel...any tips or suggestions?

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-04-17, 23:41
Hey,

Going to Israel soon. I have 2-3 free days that aren't taken by tours. Any suggestions? Anything gun related to see? Military museums? Hell anything unusual? I will be staying in Jerusalem.

Firefly
03-04-17, 23:45
Everybody gets to go to Jerusalem but me.

No advice, but a request. Take a minute once there and say "Man, Jesus was here". Regardless of your religious denomination or lack thereof.

It is sincerely on my bucket list.

RobertTheTexan
03-05-17, 00:17
Congrats on the trip. Enjoy and be safe. I've heard it is a remarkable
Land. The history alone is mind boggling. I'll text my stepmom tomorrow and ask her. She's been a couple of times. Not sure how recent though, but I'll ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
03-05-17, 00:18
Looks like Ramat HaSharon is only an hour away, might want to call and see if a tour of IWI is possible.

Moose-Knuckle
03-05-17, 03:02
Hey,

Going to Israel soon. I have 2-3 free days that aren't taken by tours. Any suggestions? Anything gun related to see? Military museums? Hell anything unusual? I will be staying in Jerusalem.

Send Yoni a PM, he is retired IDF.

yoni
03-05-17, 07:28
You can go down the hill from Jerusalem to Latrun, where the tank corp has it's museum. You can go to Ammunition Hill in Jerusalem where some of the heaviest fighting in the 6 day war happened, I took friends from the USA there and it moved them to tears. I think the trip they were on was number like 12 to Israel but they had never been there.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-05-17, 17:52
Thanks Yoni! That's exactly what I am looking for.

RobertTheTexan
03-05-17, 19:15
Are you going to Masada? Probably are. My mom. Sent me a list of places she went but I imagine they are on the tours your taking.

BH321
03-05-17, 19:32
Go to Yad Vashem (Israel's Holocaust Memorial) while you are there. One truly doesn't understand the drepravity of man until they have seen the history that is recorded there.

yoni
03-05-17, 19:39
Let me know if you need more side trips.

Jerusalem is a fun city just to walk through. The sights and smells of the old city, then exit the Jaffo gate and walk down to Machne Yehuda the open market place. Looking at the people all colors and sizes and they are all Jews.

Welcome to the miracle of Israel.

Peshawar
03-05-17, 21:05
If you have time to go to Haifa, it's really beautiful. Masada is totally worth the trip, and while you're nearby make sure you stop and swim in the Dead Sea.

RobertTheTexan
03-05-17, 21:38
These are the places my stepmom really liked.
Lazarus tomb
Masada
Herod's Stables
Capernaum
Sea of Galilee
Holocaust museum
Beth shean
Ceasarea Philippi/Panes
Jordan River

Eurodriver
03-06-17, 04:59
HaMazkeka if you're single. :)

That wall or whatever if you're not. :(

chuckman
03-06-17, 08:01
I would love to go. I second Robert's list in post #12, and anywhere you can claim, "man, Jesus was here."

Separate-but-related, I would love to go to Beirut. Tourism is really starting to pick up and it ain't as bad as it used to be. I looked at someone's pics lately, that city has some really beautiful spots.

HCrum87hc
03-10-17, 13:34
Everybody gets to go to Jerusalem but me.

No advice, but a request. Take a minute once there and say "Man, Jesus was here". Regardless of your religious denomination or lack thereof.

It is sincerely on my bucket list.

This. Israel is definitely on my bucket list. It boggles the mind when you think about the history there, especially as a Christian.