PDA

View Full Version : Is it practical to buy a new upper reciever to replace my fixed carry handle?

crofoot629
09-22-08, 18:04
I have a Colt Pre-ban AR-15 with the fixed carry handle, A1 or A2 I suppose. Now that my eyes have turned 48 I’d like to add an Aimpoint red dot sight. I don’t like the options for mounting to the carry handle, handguards, goosenecks etc.
Is it practical to buy this A3 flat top from Brownell’s and swap my parts to it. It seems like a very reasonable solution to me.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4796&title=AR-15/M16%20UPPER%20RECEIVER&s=10773#10773

Thanks in advance,
Emory

RD62
09-22-08, 19:36
Yep.

You realize that's a stripped upper without FA or ejection port cover right? Just making sure.

-RD62

crofoot629
09-22-08, 21:22
Yep.

You realize that's a stripped upper without FA or ejection port cover right? Just making sure.

-RD62

So should I spend the bucks for the FA and ejection port cover? Figure you're dealing with a rube here, bit of a shooter but ham fisted put it together backwards screw up anything mechanical rube.

I actually hoped that if it was a easy, or practical matter to switch to the new receiver, Noveske's up the road from me would put it together. I have not contacted them however.

Emory

Eric
09-22-08, 22:44
You can buy the completely stripper upper w/o the FA and dust cover, but you'll have to purchase and install those parts individually. It depends on what you're comfortable doing. Can't go wrong purchasing the Colt parts, but I I've used others with good results. I did a Colt 6520 recently and it turned out great. I used a CMT/Stag (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=193) upper for a great deal less.

crofoot629
09-23-08, 00:36
You can buy the completely stripper upper w/o the FA and dust cover, but you'll have to purchase and install those parts individually. It depends on what you're comfortable doing. Can't go wrong purchasing the Colt parts, but I I've used others with good results. I did a Colt 6520 recently and it turned out great. I used a CMT/Stag (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=193) upper for a great deal less.

? the FA and dust cover cannot be moved from my current receiver?

Emory

Battl3fr0nt
09-23-08, 05:27
Check out LMT and VLTOR uppers to they make good stuff.. unless you already have a colt and u want another colt upper but just a flat top..

RD62
09-23-08, 07:24
I'm sure you can reuse the FA and port cover from your current upper, I just have a feeling the labor $$ to swap them would probably be more than the savings from buying the upper with them already installed.

-RD62

usp_fan
09-24-08, 11:48
First post here, just joined up, but I have done what you are looking into.

Yes you can reuse the parts from you current upper. The roll pin holding the FA in place can be a bear to drive out, but if your upper is secured and you use a punch that fits and a good hammer, it'll move.

As the prior poster mentioned, you can use other uppers if you want to look at price.

--usp_fan