PDA

View Full Version : On purchasing optics online...

Slater
03-05-17, 11:26
A couple weeks ago I ordered a Steiner M536 optic from an online retailer. It came in the other day and I must say it's a ruggedly built sight with superb glass. Only problem is that the reticle was noticeably canted to the left. After deciding that I couldn't fix the problem myself, back it went. I suppose I should have taken heed from the various feedback from folks that had the same issue with this particular model, but I decided to take the gamble (and lost). Apparently it's Burris cousin (the AR-536) has the occasional same problem.

I'm far from an optics expert, but Steiner seemed to have a decent reputation. I guess they have their QC issues like other manufacturers, though. Is it really a roll of the dice to get a trouble-free optic online?

ggammell
03-05-17, 12:42
Is the problem that you bought it online or that you bought an item that you have previously read poor reviews of and ended up with the same problem?

Slater
03-05-17, 12:44
Steiner said that they had corrected the problem by going to a different mount. Guess that wasn't the case.

ggammell
03-05-17, 12:52
Any chance you just got new old stock or was there a date of manufacture on there that was post "fix"?

Slater
03-05-17, 12:56
Unknown. Anyway, just something to chalk up to experience. I still really like the M536 and would buy another if I got a decent deal on one. This time around I'd like to do a hands-on, though.

officerX
03-05-17, 13:40
The problem definitely was not that you bought an optic online. I've done so without issue as have many a forum member.

Slater
03-05-17, 15:48
I'm sure that most people have good experiences. I've bought two optics online - one was good and the other bad. So I have a 50% success rate (thus far).

Sensei
03-05-17, 16:22
I have over 30 optics and at least 25 were purchased online. I can't recall any issues, but I never took any chances. All of my purchases were established optics from names like Nightforce, Aimpoint, Trijicon

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-05-17, 16:33
I have over 30 optics and at least 25 were purchased online. I can't recall any issues, but I never took any chances. All of my purchases were established optics from names like Nightforce, Aimpoint, Trijicon

And another reason to go to med school.

Eurodriver
03-05-17, 17:57
I literally cannot tell you the last firearm related item I bought in person.

And I have quite a few firearm related items.

SteyrAUG
03-05-17, 18:33
The only "issues" with buying online are sometimes getting "used" instead of new and forgeries. But if you buy quality stuff from a reputable dealer (which insures you aren't getting Chinese fakes) the product will be warrantied by the manufacturer.

Pretty sure you just needed to contact Steiner and send it to them for repair or replacement, unless the seller specifically warranties the item as well which is sorta rare.

I sell stuff like Colt 6920s, but if somebody gets one with a flaw, I'm not going to break out an armorers wrench or refinish it myself, you probably wouldn't want me to. So I simply direct the customer to send it to Colt if there is a problem. Same rules apply to me when I buy a firearm for myself, I don't bother my distributor about it, they just warehouse product until it sells. The only reason to contact the supplier is if it's something they did wrong like send the wrong item or make a similar mistake.

Slater
03-05-17, 18:54
In this particular case, I returned it for a refund (Optics Planet). Regarding optics sold on sites such as EBay or Amazon, fakes/knockoffs seem to be somewhat of an issue with them. In some cases (such as EOtech) it's apparently such a problem that the company has a "how to detect fakes" page on their website.

SteyrAUG
03-05-17, 19:06
In this particular case, I returned it for a refund (Optics Planet). Regarding optics sold on sites such as EBay or Amazon, fakes/knockoffs seem to be somewhat of an issue with them. In some cases (such as EOtech) it's apparently such a problem that the company has a "how to detect fakes" page on their website.

Optics Planet has always been good to go in my experience. Return for refund should be no problem. Just explaining how to get a "no surprises" fix or replacement.

chuckman
03-06-17, 08:05
And another reason to go to med school.

"Another" reason? What's the other? Access to boobies??

I have bought every single optic online. Not one issue. I am about to pull the trigger on an IOR Valdada, but not quite there for the same reason. Most reviews are good, but the ones that aren't, aren't.