PDA

View Full Version : Do you have your electronic scale on same bench as press?

1_click_off
03-05-17, 16:03
I am looking at getting either the RCBS chargemaster or the Lyman Gen 5 or 6.
I am reading reviews on them and I see people leaving negative feedback about the charges being off, but the scale is accurate.

This makes me wonder if these negative reviews are being caused by self induced error by shaking the measure while it is dispensing by seating the bullets in the press attached to the same bench?

I have a pretty solid bench and think I will seat the bullet before the measure gets to the top end of the charge.

Those of you running automatic dispensing electronic scales, do you have it on the same bench as the press? Does the vibration of seating a bullet mess with the consistency of the charge drop?

Thanks

RimfireSpider
03-05-17, 16:50
RCBS Chargemaster user here. Yes, if the Chargemaster is sitting on the same surface the press is mounted to, and your bench isn't rock solid, it isn't a great idea to seat bullets while the Chargemaster is throwing. Mine can be affected by as much as +/- .3gr if the press stroke coincides with the Chargemaster's final trickle. YMMV depending on how sturdy your reloading bench is. Also depends on charge weight. Loading .308 or larger cases, dispensing typically takes long enough that I can seat a bullet without disrupting the final trickle stage.

Eurodriver
03-05-17, 18:26
Different benches.

hotrodder636
03-05-17, 18:33
Even though I have a solid bench, I keep the Chargemaster on a different foundation and surface.

markm
03-05-17, 20:25
The Chargemaster is a moody bitch. But is still smoking hot and worth it. I run mine on my granite counter top in the kitchen. A rock solid foundation is good for it, but it's a matter of the powder coming out of the feed unevenly. The "McDonald's Straw" trick is helpful. But the Chargemaster will still drive you nuts some times no matter what.

Someone here was trying to get me to reprogram the thing, but I wasn't buying in. I've become a master at dripping over charges back into the hopper.

SeriousStudent
03-05-17, 20:56
Very interesting. I'm buying a Chargemaster next week.

Mark, are there any other tips you or anyone else would suggest? I'm already planning on two split-up benches in the reloading room.

caporider
03-05-17, 21:11
Different benches.

Yep.

I leave mine on 24/7 - I've found that constant on/off messes up the keypad.

Ryno12
03-05-17, 21:12
The Chargemaster is a moody bitch. But is still smoking hot and worth it. I run mine on my granite counter top in the kitchen. A rock solid foundation is good for it, but it's a matter of the powder coming out of the feed unevenly. The "McDonald's Straw" trick is helpful. But the Chargemaster will still drive you nuts some times no matter what.

Someone here was trying to get me to reprogram the thing, but I wasn't buying in. I've become a master at dripping over charges back into the hopper.

Ha! My experience with my Hornady unit mirrors yours with the Chargemaster. Mine gets especially moody when the AC or heat kicks on.

I can single tap a tenth of a grain back in the hopper like a mofo. [emoji41]

fedupflyer
03-05-17, 22:28
The pros say,
Use a power conditioner
Stay away from fluorescent lights
Let it warm up for a few hours before use
Make sure the unit is level
use it on a stable and sturdy work station.

and

use the damn cover for the scale, you would be surprised at how sensitive the load cell is.

SeriousStudent
03-05-17, 23:00
Thank you for the ideas. I'm actually planning on using an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to run a laptop and monitor. The laptop will have reloading data, and capture chronograph info at range sessions.

I'm going to use one of those small USB-cable cameras to watch the powder throws, and have that display on the LCD 20" monitor.

I can just plug the Chargemaster into that UPS. I'm already planning on LED's, instead of fluorescent lights.

Much appreciated!

Kain
03-05-17, 23:38
I'm going to use one of those small USB-cable cameras to watch the powder throws, and have that display on the LCD 20" monitor.

Umm, seriously not being a smart ass, but why the camera on the powder throw? Are you going to watch it at a remote site, or am I not up on the latest reloading techniques? Please explain my good sir.

mrjinglesusa
03-06-17, 08:27
I have mine on the same bench as my press but it's a solid bench. I get the occasional overthrow (usually 0.1-0.2 gn) but for the most part it does great. I'm usually done seating before it gets to final trickle. I did reprogram and bought the insert, which helps a ton. I double check throw weight every 5th round with an RCBS 5-0-5.

1_click_off
03-06-17, 09:23
Thanks for the replies.

I bought the 4' LED lights from Sam's for about $30-40 a fixture. Been too long ago.

But for you guys already set up with florescent fixtures, you can now get replacement 120vac LED bulbs. You bypass the ballast and wire the tombstones up directly to 120vac. If you have 8' bulbs they make an adapter to link two 4' LED bulbs together.

I don't remember the brands, but I was getting them from fastenal.

They even sell the tombstones if you need to replace/convert them.

Think my price on the 4' bulbs were about $9 each.

I am leaning hard toward the chargemaster. Midway has it 25% off right now, so that almost matches amazon and you get the Midway backing.

Got to be careful buying some electronics from Amazon. Had some items that stated the warranty is void if purchased from Amazon or sights like it because they can not garrantee it is genuine product.

markm
03-06-17, 13:32
Mark, are there any other tips you or anyone else would suggest?

Become obsessive about watching the powder drain position. I wish it were spring loaded to snap back into the shut position. I won't tell you how thrilling it is to start pouring powder only to watch some flow out onto your counter and floor. :mad:

Ha! My experience with my Hornady unit mirrors yours with the Chargemaster. Mine gets especially moody when the AC or heat kicks on.

I can single tap a tenth of a grain back in the hopper like a mofo. [emoji41]

I don't even have to reweigh the powder any more. I know how many kernals to pour off to get the charge right.

hotrodder636
03-06-17, 14:55
I saw somewhere that you could adjust or reprogram the speed the RCBS drops the charge and by making it faster you actually get less over charges. Anyone else heard of that?

SeriousStudent
03-06-17, 21:54
Umm, seriously not being a smart ass, but why the camera on the powder throw? Are you going to watch it at a remote site, or am I not up on the latest reloading techniques? Please explain my good sir.

The eyeballs, they not work so good no more.

I'd like to have a small camera set up to show a very magnified view of the powder throw into the primed case.

One of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OB88HI4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1E8ZTOFQN4MSL&coliid=I22A0LO33OCKO7&psc=1

displays an image on one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012AQIQ48/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1E8ZTOFQN4MSL&coliid=I2I5MYUH5KYEOI&psc=1

I also have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2C3KMG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The monitor is on the top arm, and my range laptop is on the lower stand. I can use it to display load data, verify chronograph data, update inventory on components or loaded ammo, etc.

Hope that helps.

Kain
03-06-17, 21:59
The eyeballs, they not work so good no more.

I'd like to have a small camera set up to show a very magnified view of the powder throw into the primed case.

One of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OB88HI4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1E8ZTOFQN4MSL&coliid=I22A0LO33OCKO7&psc=1

displays an image on one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012AQIQ48/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1E8ZTOFQN4MSL&coliid=I2I5MYUH5KYEOI&psc=1

I also have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2C3KMG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The monitor is on the top arm, and my range laptop is on the lower stand. I can use it to display load data, verify chronograph data, update inventory on components or loaded ammo, etc.

Hope that helps.

It helps to explain a lot. Getting old must suck. I just wasn't sure that I wasn't missing a new trend or if you hadn't gone off the deep end. You being a mod I never quite know. :jester:

Though having a computer at your finger tips while reloading is handy. I just end up using mine to play youtube videos for background noise. My eyes aren't so bad though. The benefits of not being old I suppose.

mrjinglesusa
03-06-17, 22:03
I saw somewhere that you could adjust or reprogram the speed the RCBS drops the charge and by making it faster you actually get less over charges. Anyone else heard of that?

Yep - pretty well known modifications that many people make.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/speed-up-your-rcbs-chargemaster/

http://www.accuracy-tech.com/rcbs-chargemaster-modifications/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DRJCL0D3A

SeriousStudent
03-06-17, 23:16
............. Getting old must suck...............

Considering the alternative, it's not so bad.

markm
03-07-17, 18:01
Considering the alternative, it's not so bad.

Ha!... yeah... No kidding.

I've seen a few guys over the years who set up the monitor on Accurateshooter.

SeriousStudent
03-07-17, 19:31
Ha!... yeah... No kidding.

I've seen a few guys over the years who set up the monitor on Accurateshooter.

That was where I got the idea - reloading bench photo threads. I've spent the last year reading every thread I can find about bench setups, and asking a lot of questions.

Thanks for the tip about the powder drain, I will keep an eye on that.

markm
03-07-17, 22:28
Thanks for the tip about the powder drain, I will keep an eye on that.

I laughed at it when I first read it.... then I did it. I'm a frigging cheap mofo on components. I'll move a mountain to get a mashed cartridge that I can pull the bullet from. So dumping powder is completely ridiculous.

interfan
03-08-17, 12:06
For what its worth, my own experience with the Chargemaster has been positive. One thing I did that negates the whole press movement thing is to mount a level shelf on the wall and put the Chargemaster on the shelf. Nothing (short of an earthquake or the termites having a dance party) will bump the wall to cause it to upset the level of the machine, and I can run my press at the same time the Chargemaster is throwing, since there is no motion dependency, and my bench is not mounted to or touching the wall. Some thin aluminum strips screwed to the shelf that outline the feet of the Chargemaster keep it from moving when it is used.

I have done the "straw" trick for years, but just bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Chargemaster-Reducing-Insert-w-extra-Reducing-Sleeve/192113184984. So far, it works better than the straw, but I have am only about 2000 loads deep into it.

I have also installed a choke ring on the cord for RFI noise supression and have the power cord plugged into a good power conditioning outlet strip, and found that a vinyl tubing cap (https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-10pcs-Inner-Vinyl-Protector/dp/B01KNR1B7A/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1488995506&sr=8-16&keywords=vinyl+tubing+cap) works well to prevent the powder drain from dumping if it turns. The Amazon link provided is as near as I can find to the one I am using (the Chargemaster powder drain is around 1.4" diameter so Home Depot could be a source for caps), which came as part of the packaging for a masonry drill bit that I bought for a patio project.

masan
03-11-17, 21:07
Like others have said, visit your local McDonals.

Let it warm up, or better yet, leave it on always

Calibrate often

Second bench is good

Calibrate often

Don't lose the paintbrush that comes with it, it is weird buying little brushes at Walmart at 2am...

Calibrate often

1_click_off
03-26-17, 12:33
For those of you stating to recalibrate often.... what is often? 10 rounds, 20, 50, 250?

Figure as long as I let it warm up and it returns to zero between throws I should be good for at least 50rds?

I did recalibrate every 10rd and then ran the last 30rd without calibration.

Had about 12 over throws in the lot of 50.
270 Win IMR 4350 with 50.7grains topping it with 150gr hornady SP.

Worst over throws were 51.0 and most were 50.8 or 50.9. This was bone stock with no super straw tricks or re-programming. I see how the stick power builds up and causes the over throw.

I wanted to test the static cling when I drained it, the powder was stuck to the sides of the powder reservoir. Took a bounce sheet and everywhere I touched the outside of the reservoir, it simply fell off the inside like magic.

I really like the scale, just slow as can be. 53 seconds from time I hit DISP to the time I returned the tray. May have to look at how to reprogram it.

I am used to dropping 50 charges in a matter of 5 minutes with a standard measure and checking every 5th charge.

Time will tell, but so far I am pleased with it.

Kenneth
03-26-17, 16:59
I have my chargemaster on the same bench as my press and my stainless tumbler.

What do I do about that? I don't throw power while doing anything with either device lol.

I keep mine all the time and recalibrate before every use or when I change powder. I load in 50 round increments and do not recalibrate in the middle.

Shot this today at 100 with my 6.5 creed. There is 6 shots in there but I pulled one under the dime. I covered it up to make me look better lmao.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170326/1cf7d1c2f9a11bf660ff2ad800bb5f60.jpg

I'm also using Hornady brass that hasn't been fully prepped. All I do is tumble with stainless and trim.

Shot over 30 rounds with the magneeto speed on and my SD was 8. Not too bad for a chargemaster and none prepped brass. Still need to adjust my seating a little I'm being told but this seems to work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk