PDA

View Full Version : Chinese forces in Afghanistan?

Slater
03-06-17, 04:48
Doesn't seem to be very newsworthy. Wonder if they'll get more involved in time?:

"WASHINGTON — There is mounting evidence that Chinese ground troops are operating inside Afghanistan, conducting joint counter-terror patrols with Afghan forces along a 50-mile stretch of their shared border and fueling speculation that Beijing is preparing to play a significantly greater role in the country's security once the U.S. and NATO leave."

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/chinese-troops-afghanistan

Eurodriver
03-06-17, 04:54
To the title of the article - why wouldn't we be ok with our de facto enemy losing their minds trying to secure Afghanistan?

They are currently saying it's just a order issue - but I hope it escalates.

Slater
03-06-17, 05:26
China's rules of engagement seem to be a bit different than ours. They used flamethrowers against Islamic militants in Western China that were holed up in caves. People would go nuts if we did something like that.

grnamin
03-06-17, 08:22
China's rules of engagement seem to be a bit different than ours. They used flamethrowers against Islamic militants in Western China that were holed up in caves. People would go nuts if we did something like that.

One man's "political correctness" is another man's "perfectly Chinese".

TMS951
03-06-17, 11:08

Not only did they turn them to crispy critters, those guys in the cave were only armed with knives.

Which may lead to their interest in Afghanistan. The border between the two countries is part of the silk road. Could this trade route be used to bring guns from Afghanistan where they are plentiful to china to support the muslim extremists there who con't buy guns in country because they do not exist?

lowprone
03-06-17, 11:28
************************************************* we used to do the same thing ************************************************

SeriousStudent
03-06-17, 21:59
************************************************* we used to do the same thing ************************************************

Having stood inside exactly such spots on Iwo Jima, I would agree with you.

Slater
03-07-17, 04:30
True that, but attitudes seem to have shifted away from such weapons nowadays. You would think that flamethrowers would have been useful on occasion in Afghanistan.

williejc
03-07-17, 06:40
Both sides used them in the Vietnam War.

TMS951
03-07-17, 11:35
Having stood inside exactly such spots on Iwo Jima, I would agree with you.

Both sides used them in the Vietnam War.

Some pretty distinct differences here with the Chinese. This was not 'war' both sides were not using them, or even armed.

The Chinese used a flamethrower, in their own country, on their own people who were armed only with knives.

This makes Waco look civilized and restrained, Waco is the closest thing we have to this in the US.

Averageman
03-07-17, 12:24
Isn't there supposed to be a huge amount of lithium in Afghanistan?
If I remember correctly there is, who wants to guess why the Chinese want to get in to this mess?

TMS951
03-07-17, 12:29
Isn't there supposed to be a huge amount of lithium in Afghanistan?
If I remember correctly there is, who wants to guess why the Chinese want to get in to this mess?

Let them have at.

Didn't go well for Russia, didn't go well for the USA, China is the last super power to take a swing at it. They may have the stomach to go at it with more brutality, but I doubt they'll have more success than others.

Averageman
03-07-17, 12:41
Let them have at.

Didn't go well for Russia, didn't go well for the USA, China is the last super power to take a swing at it. They may have the stomach to go at it with more brutality, but I doubt they'll have more success than others.

Maybe they are considering risk and reward?
There is going to be a lot of money in future battery technology.