PDA

View Full Version : We've Passed the Inflection Point on The 'Wisdom of Babes"

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-06-17, 17:30
It used to be that kids would ask embarrassing questions that would highlight the problems with society- why can't the black guy eat in the restaurant- you know, the "To Kill a Mockingbird" kind of stuff. Kids inherently have a sense of right and wrong and what is acceptable behavior.

Now with my kids, I actually get push back- like 'Are you kidding me?'. The whole transgender bathroom thing seems like a joke to them it is so crazy. My 12 year old watches SJW videos and can't fathom their immaturity and unfair policies and tactics. I don't think they fully understand the gay thing, but they get the odd vibe out of it.

So we have so far gone past the equilibrium point on 'injustice' that young kids these days may be the first to be inherently more conservative than their parents. Just an observation of how far left and Progressive the main stream has tilted in the last 30 years.

Firefly
03-06-17, 18:30
I believe our instincts are sharpest when we are at our youngest.

I remember when they tried that Baby X crap. Boys still fabricated toy weapons and girls still fabricated mud pies and communities.

Bulletdog
03-06-17, 19:53
I believe our instincts are sharpest when we are at our youngest.

I remember when they tried that Baby X crap. Boys still fabricated toy weapons and girls still fabricated mud pies and communities.

Years ago friend of my wife's had a baby, with no Dad in sight. She was very anti-gun and was determined to keep her son away from the evil influence of guns. No TV, no movies, etc… She was very careful about this. He was no more than 18 months old when he fashioned a gun from his Duplo blocks and went running around the apartment going "pew pew pew…".

I'm still laughing about it 18 years later as he has now entered the military. His grandparents saved him from her ignorance.

Moose-Knuckle
03-08-17, 01:31
So we have so far gone past the equilibrium point on 'injustice' that young kids these days may be the first to be inherently more conservative than their parents. Just an observation of how far left and Progressive the main stream has tilted in the last 30 years.

"Liberalism is a mental-disorder".

Yes, even a small child has more common sense and knows the differences between right and wrong when compared to libtards.

The left's philosophy is take what is right and make it wrong and make what is wrong right.

The very definition of perversion.

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 13:56
Depends on the kid. I've seen lots of stupid kids.

I've also seen "take yo stuff" explained to children in a school setting. Group 25 kids and have 25 cookies. Give one cookie to everyone with a A, B or C average. Then give an extra cookie to those who had A and B averages. Then if any cookies remain give them to A average students.

This is a performanced based exercise and once upon a time was used to demonstrate why you want to study hard and do your homework. However since about the 1970s they have done things differently, now anyone with more than one cookie is made to feel bad because other kids have no cookies.

The teacher then asks how they fix the problem of kids with no cookies. Of course the smart kids aren't quite smart enough (or maybe they are) to suggest D & F students study harder like they do. Instead you see a bunch of simple minded twits start handing over their cookies (foreshadowing how they will be deprived of any hard earned wealth in the future to provide for the lowest common denominators of society) and if an A student actually gives away ALL of their cookies so they have NONE they are especially encouraged and verbally rewarded.

Everyone says how special they are because they worked so hard but still gave away all of their cookies. They only way it can possibly be topped is if one of those D or F students feels sorry for the A student with no cookies and shares "his" cookie with him. This is viewed as an even superior gesture because he had no cookies but when one is given to him, he still shared it with another.

You can call it a partial cookie refund.

Bulletdog
03-08-17, 14:24
The concept is so simple and easy to understand when you explain it that way Steyr.

Firefly
03-08-17, 15:16
I think the biggest lie we teach kids is how "equal" everyone is. That's BS.

None of us are 'equal'. What we do have is an equal opportunity in the most unironic sense.

We need to teach kids that you dont lose until you quit and quitting is voluntary.

If you dont get a cookie, maybe that hunger and desire will sharpen your resolve.

26 Inf
03-08-17, 16:35
Depends on the kid. I've seen lots of stupid kids.

I've also seen "take yo stuff" explained to children in a school setting. Group 25 kids and have 25 cookies. Give one cookie to everyone with a A, B or C average. Then give an extra cookie to those who had A and B averages. Then if any cookies remain give them to A average students.

This is a performanced based exercise and once upon a time was used to demonstrate why you want to study hard and do your homework. However since about the 1970s they have done things differently, now anyone with more than one cookie is made to feel bad because other kids have no cookies.

The teacher then asks how they fix the problem of kids with no cookies. Of course the smart kids aren't quite smart enough (or maybe they are) to suggest D & F students study harder like they do. Instead you see a bunch of simple minded twits start handing over their cookies (foreshadowing how they will be deprived of any hard earned wealth in the future to provide for the lowest common denominators of society) and if an A student actually gives away ALL of their cookies so they have NONE they are especially encouraged and verbally rewarded.

Everyone says how special they are because they worked so hard but still gave away all of their cookies. They only way it can possibly be topped is if one of those D or F students feels sorry for the A student with no cookies and shares "his" cookie with him. This is viewed as an even superior gesture because he had no cookies but when one is given to him, he still shared it with another.

You can call it a partial cookie refund.

Have you ever seen where the students whose parents have the most money get all the cookies and the teacher explains it is a tax cut for the rich to spur cookie production?

Just wondering.

Most kids seem to understand sharing and caring until some adult screws them up.

I had a picture once of a group of KKK's squared off against a group which primarily consisted of blacks protesting something or another. In the background were black kids and white kids playing with each other while their parents argued.

Kidsw are okay, we are the ones who have effed it up.

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 18:03

None of us are 'equal'. What we do have is an equal opportunity in the most unironic sense.

We need to teach kids that you dont lose until you quit and quitting is voluntary.

If you dont get a cookie, maybe that hunger and desire will sharpen your resolve.

We are NOT equal. That is why I was never quarterback on the football team, that is why I never scored a winning touchdown during the big game. I was good at this, not so good at that. Declaring everyone equal just punishes those who have talent and sets up those with no real skills for failure in life.

The important thing is to figure out your strengths and understand your weaknesses and develop them accordingly.

Have you ever seen where the students whose parents have the most money get all the cookies and the teacher explains it is a tax cut for the rich to spur cookie production?

Just wondering.

Most kids seem to understand sharing and caring until some adult screws them up.

I had a picture once of a group of KKK's squared off against a group which primarily consisted of blacks protesting something or another. In the background were black kids and white kids playing with each other while their parents argued.

Kidsw are okay, we are the ones who have effed it up.

Sounds like somebody didn't get a cookie.

Seriously, some kids are ok and some are tards. I've seen first graders treat "different" kids horribly and it wasn't because anyone's parents said or did anything to make it happen.

I've also seen parents invest a LOT into making sure their kids are "ok" and not "tards." Done it myself, probably nothing more pathetic or discouraging than a white karate instructor teaching at a predominantly minority PAL trying to get "Group A" of black kids to understand why it's F'ed up to be calling "Group B" of black kids the n word or otherwise trying to treat them as racially inferior.

My favorite response was "you want to be better than him? then train harder and get your green belt first." I also made sure everybody understood they weren't "black" in my school, they were white belts and nothing more. I also made sure they understood green belts were the only ones who were better and green belts definitely got treated better because they earned it.

Honestly I think most kids have the ability to be "ok", but the whole "it takes a village" and "we are the world" crap stifles their individuality which hinders their development.

ABNAK
03-08-17, 19:29
When I was a kid I was more sympathetic to others. Getting older has narrowed my concerns to me and mine. Right or wrong, that's how it is.

That said, I recall making fun of kids with "disabilities" while in 1st or 2nd grade (this was the early 70's). Kids are cruel, and my mother guilted me (rightly so) into regret for ever thinking like that. She didn't beat my ass for that one, just shamed me for making fun of the "lesser" among us. I have carried that thought in my mind since then. In later years I would slap someone for harassing a disabled person.

Life changes people, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.....at least depending on one's view of "better", liberal not being what I mean.

26 Inf
03-08-17, 20:49
Sounds like somebody didn't get a cookie.

Actually, I got a little sleeve of double stuffed Oreos a couple days ago, something about free Oreo day. Unfortunately, I'm reducing carbs so I had to give them to Homeless Hannah in the parking lot.

26 Inf
03-08-17, 20:54
That said, I recall making fun of kids with "disabilities" while in 1st or 2nd grade (this was the early 70's). Kids are cruel, and my mother guilted me (rightly so) into regret for ever thinking like that. She didn't beat my ass for that one, just shamed me for making fun of the "lesser" among us. I have carried that thought in my mind since then. In later years I would slap someone for harassing a disabled person.

Mainstreaming the disabled kids has done a lot for that. My wife is a SPED teacher for visually impaired kids, it is heart warming to see how their classmates interact with them, careful not to baby them but watching out for them all the same.

Campbell
03-08-17, 21:34

+1
My father taught me at a very young age, " faint heart never won fair lady".... my success/failure is mine to own, alone.

Vandal
03-08-17, 21:47
I hear people talking about the innocence of children and all I can think of is Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I think we can end the thread right there. Without adult supervision and direction children are just as cruel as adults, but rather than talk sh!t behind someone's back, they just tell it to your face. Group-think and mob rule is at an all time high with children too because no one wants to be become Piggy. Granted the whole book is an allegory about civil order and society.

SteyrAUG
03-08-17, 22:36
When I was a kid I was more sympathetic to others. Getting older has narrowed my concerns to me and mine. Right or wrong, that's how it is.

Life changes people, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.....at least depending on one's view of "better", liberal not being what I mean.

One of the smarter teachers I've ever seen deputized some of the stronger or more popular kids to look out for anyone with actual disabilities. This gave those kids something positive to do, besides pick on less popular kids and if anyone else messed with their "protectee" they heard about it pretty quick.

Bulletdog
03-09-17, 10:18
When I was in junior and high school, my group of friends and I took it upon ourselves to make sure nobody messed with the special ed kids. Anyone who did was punished and never did it again.

Why did we do that? Why didn't we pick on them too? The "Lord of the Flies" explanation is a good one. That book fascinated me. What I've always wondered about that book is this: If you could somehow set up 100 islands with similar groups of kids like that, what percentage would go the way of the book, and what percentage would go the way of me and my friends? Why? What would make that difference?

Bulletdog
03-09-17, 10:32

I have a friend who is solidly right wing. He has a saying: You know what the definition of a conservative is? A victimized liberal.

He goes on to explain that we all start out idealistic and wanting to help the poor and "underprivileged" of the world, and then reality sets in. We begin to understand why those people are poor and underprivileged. We get robbed, beaten or otherwise accosted by some of those poor and underprivileged people and our views begin to change.

Bulletdog
03-09-17, 10:37
I was usually a cookie earner. When I failed to earn my cookie, I tried harder the next time. I examined my failure and did what I could do to correct the problem. I spent a lot of my "free" time in pursuit of cookie earning too. Its not that I was "better" than other people, I just work harder and longer at earning my cookies, while they pursued other things with their time. No one ever gave me free cookies. I came form poverty and built my little empire into what it is through risk, trial and error, many failures and many successes. Will you all please forgive me if I don't have sympathy for people who did not try as hard as I did, and now want me to give them a large share of my cookies because they have failed at life? While they were getting drunk at parties every weekend or spending stupid amounts of money on things they could not afford, I worked, saved and lived below my means.

These are now [B]MY[B] cookies, and they are not up for grabs. This ant feels no charity for the careless grasshopper.

This explains my point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HEH23W_bM

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-09-17, 10:39
Lord of the Flies is a book, but I was referring more to younger kids- the age where they have no filter and just blurt stuff out, that is true but can be socially awkward.

Averageman
03-09-17, 11:04
Lord of the Flies is a book, but I was referring more to younger kids- the age where they have no filter and just blurt stuff out, that is true but can be socially awkward.
I seem to remember being in a Plymouth Station Wagon that was loaded with extended Family Members one time.
Someone made a fart joke, (which if you knew my Family you would have expected that) my mother clearly stated "Ladies Don't Do That." My brother who might have been three and a half at the time went on a twenty minute dissertation about every time he had heard a Lady pass gas.
I think my Mother (who was the subject of more than one of these experiences he was relating) would have beaten him silly had we not been in the third row facing out the back of that old Wagon.
I do believe my Dad was laughing so hard he had tears streaming down his face at one point and being that it was the nineteen sixties, He actually had to sit his beer down for a minute while he was driving.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-09-17, 11:09
I seem to remember being in a Plymouth Station Wagon that was loaded with extended Family Members one time.
Someone made a fart joke, (which if you knew my Family you would have expected that) my mother clearly stated "Ladies Don't Do That." My brother who might have been three and a half at the time went on a twenty minute dissertation about every time he had heard a Lady pass gas.
I think my Mother (who was the subject of more than one of these experiences he was relating) would have beaten him silly had we not been in the third row facing out the back of that old Wagon.
I do believe my Dad was laughing so hard he had tears streaming down his face at one point and being that it was the nineteen sixties, He actually had to sit his beer down for a minute while he was driving.

Sister came home from her friends house with a look of horror on her face. "Mom, I think Sandy is adopted." My Mom had told my sister that women didn't fart after they've had a kid- i.e. ladies don't fart. Is there any culture that doesn't think farts are funny?

Firefly
03-09-17, 11:11

oh lol, I got a mental picture and it was glorious

SteyrAUG
03-09-17, 15:29
I have a friend who is solidly right wing. He has a saying: You know what the definition of a conservative is? A victimized liberal.

He goes on to explain that we all start out idealistic and wanting to help the poor and "underprivileged" of the world, and then reality sets in. We begin to understand why those people are poor and underprivileged. We get robbed, beaten or otherwise accosted by some of those poor and underprivileged people and our views begin to change.

Honestly, I think it's human nature to cheer for the underdog. We want to see somebody who isn't the obvious winner do what it takes to make up the difference and prevail. That is because we know at some point we ourselves will not be the strongest, the smartest or the most capable and we hope we can somehow make up the difference and if not win, at least keep up.

We also don't mind trying to give a hand and help somebody who is really trying but being outclassed. I think this is the nature of all social programs. We'd all really like to see everyone who is trying finish the race even if they can't win. We'd rather see them come in dead last then give up and quit, at least they are trying. And if we can spare something to help somebody make up the difference we can be pretty generous for whatever reason. Maybe it gives us a sense that there is "right and wrong in the world" and we are part of helping "right" prevail or maybe we just feel good about helping someone who otherwise would not have made it.

But not everyone can afford to do so and it isn't right to take other people out of the game who might have been able to make it on their own and burden them to the point of failure so that other less capable individuals might have a better chance.

And a lot of underprivileged may very well be contributing to their own failures and lack the willingness to do what it takes, but that isn't true for all. But what is true is every time you try and help anyone who is "deserving of help" they will be last in line behind all of those who create many of their own problems and are just looking to "game the system" and live off of the efforts of everyone else.

There was a time when California was so prosperous that the state could offer free college tuition (well mostly free) to any resident who qualified for acceptance. Didn't take long for a bunch of anchor babies to flood into the state, qualify as a resident and overburden the system within a generation. College educations are no longer free in Ca, they can no longer afford it.

Most of us are still idealists, we just can't afford to be as generous as we'd like.