PDA

View Full Version : Optic for Occasional Use on CMP Upper?

Submariner
10-18-06, 19:39
We have one upper with no lower, an M16A2 with 1/7 barrel with free float tube and 1/2 min sights for CMP shooting. A collapsible stock is removed from a lower with a decent trigger and a Colt "CS" stock goes in its place. Being 5/8" shorter, it actually "fits" for shooting sitting!

Conventional wisdom is that optics should not be placed on the carry handle because it raises the height of eye and makes a good cheek weld impossible. Got it. Nevertheless, this rifle is quite accurate beyond 300 meters with 69 gr. and 77 gr. SMK's. What optic would be optimal for use on the carry handle?

Patrick Aherne
10-18-06, 20:11
Compact ACOG TA-47-R2 or R4; R2 is red triangle reticle, R4 is red crosshair reticle.

nyeti
10-18-06, 21:48
I actually prefer the standard 4xACOG for carry handle use. It is what it was designed for, and works really well on the 20" guns. My first AR set up was a 20" HBAR with a 4x ACOG (600 range SN.#). I did some of the best shooting of my life with that gun. I won numerous combat rifle and 3 gun matches, won several L/E rifle instructor schools, and was dead on to 600 yards with it. That would be my first choice on that upper.

TWR
10-19-06, 07:48
I prefer a little more power than an ACOG has when shooting at 300 yards or more. I tend to favor a Leupold 3.5-10. I find it to be an ideal all around scope power, not the best for close up or far, far away but both can be done.

Conventional wisdom or not, I have a buddy who uses a scope on the carry handle and has no problems with it at all, though it does take some getting use to.

C4IGrant
10-19-06, 08:57
I prefer a little more power than an ACOG has when shooting at 300 yards or more. I tend to favor a Leupold 3.5-10. I find it to be an ideal all around scope power, not the best for close up or far, far away but both can be done.

Conventional wisdom or not, I have a buddy who uses a scope on the carry handle and has no problems with it at all, though it does take some getting use to.

I like variable optics on precision AR's are well, but they just don't do well on carry handles.

Bubblehead, stick with an ACOG. There is a new compact 3X compact ACOG coming out that is supposed to offer more eye relief. I would wait and see what it has to offer.

C4

Submariner
10-19-06, 09:38
Bubblehead, stick with an ACOG. There is a new compact 3X compact ACOG coming out that is supposed to offer more eye relief. I would wait and see what it has to offer.

Why a compact ACOG besides eye relief? Is its optical center lower than a 4X ACOG?

Also, is the optical center of a TA11 lower than the optical center of a TA31 series? Does any TA11 have the chevron reticle like the TA31F? (My TA31F's are loctited to LaRue mounts so I guess I'll have to take one apart and try it.)

Grant-Do you have the Trijicon part to mount an ACOG to the carry handle? Will it work with any ACOG?

Thanks, again, gentlemen.:cool:

C4IGrant
10-19-06, 11:45
Why a compact ACOG besides eye relief? Is its optical center lower than a 4X ACOG?

Also, is the optical center of a TA11 lower than the optical center of a TA31 series? Does any TA11 have the chevron reticle like the TA31F? (My TA31F's are loctited to LaRue mounts so I guess I'll have to take one apart and try it.)

Grant-Do you have the Trijicon part to mount an ACOG to the carry handle? Will it work with any ACOG?

Thanks, again, gentlemen.:cool:

Compact ACOG's are lighter and cheaper (which is why I like them). There is a TA11F with a chevron.

All ACOG's will work with a carry handle (you just have to remove the mount). With that said, there are specific ACOG's that were made to work with a carry handle (TA01 for instance).

C4

TWR
10-19-06, 12:32
I like variable optics on precision AR's are well, but they just don't do well on carry handles.

C4

I just have to ask, why? I took this question geared more for CMP shooting instead of COM and figure it takes more power to actualy see a bullseye instead of just the target at extended ranges. (I also know that CMP and scopes don't go together, just making a reference.)

I have shot both a scope and an ACOG on a carry handle and while neither is for me, I can't see why a variable scope won't work. Eye releif is the only thing I might concur with but that can also be overcome.

Submariner
10-19-06, 13:24
I just have to ask, why? I took this question geared more for CMP shooting instead of COM...

I would never voluntarily use iron sights if an optic were an option. (Getting old sucks.:( ) I contemplated more social shooting than bullseye shooting.

ETA: And in the back of my mind selling my scoped NM M1A's to go to just one cailber in centerfire rifle.

C4IGrant
10-19-06, 16:11
I just have to ask, why? I took this question geared more for CMP shooting instead of COM and figure it takes more power to actualy see a bullseye instead of just the target at extended ranges. (I also know that CMP and scopes don't go together, just making a reference.)

I have shot both a scope and an ACOG on a carry handle and while neither is for me, I can't see why a variable scope won't work. Eye releif is the only thing I might concur with but that can also be overcome.

You can run into a ton of eye relief issues. The scope is also going to be higher in the carry handle an ACOG (which is to high off the bore line as it is).

I also think a scope looks ghey on a carry handle. :D

C4

TWR
10-19-06, 22:05
I also think a scope looks ghey on a carry handle. :D

C4

True. You can mount the right scope out far enough and even deal with the akward height but it's still gonna look odd.