PDA

View Full Version : Hand guard/Rails VFG for Colt 6721 HBAR

atomicsmurf
03-10-17, 07:45
So last year I suffered a fracture in my left wrist, and screwed up some ligaments and tendons. The normal position for holding any rifle really aggravates the injury. I experimented with holding my AR by balling my fist and resting the rifle on it and it's not nearly as stressful on the wrist. So I think a VFG is the way to go.

As a result I am thinking I need to add a rail to the stock hand guard and get a VFG. I have heard that in doing that you will feel a flex in the hand guard. So should I also get a new hand guard also?

If so in need recommendations for rail, hand guard and VFG. The stock colt hand guard has one heat sink, if that helps any.

Thanks!

Butch
03-10-17, 08:02
You'll get lots of opinions. This is like asking everyone's favorite color. Centurion seems to be the current favorite for hand guards. I searched this forum for weeks, asked a couple of questions. Ended up with a KAC RAS (Currently out of stock) and a LaRue FUG. IMO, a world-class, high dollar, rock solid combo. My opinion once again, don't put a VFG on the stock Colt hand guard.

atomicsmurf
03-10-17, 08:59
Since it's an HBar I'm assuming I'll have to go with a single heat sink, that's what it came with. Would a double fit? (not that I need it)

Also, thanks! I will check out your recommendations. :)

Looking forward to hearing from others as well.

Stickman
03-10-17, 13:35
Since it's an HBar I'm assuming I'll have to go with a single heat sink, that's what it came with. Would a double fit? (not that I need it)

Also, thanks! I will check out your recommendations. :)

Looking forward to hearing from others as well.

Put a VFG on your handguard, it isn't a big deal. If you decide you want something else later on down the road and want to spent more money, at least you will know it works for you. If it doesn't help long term, you aren't out much money.

Something else to consider is the way you are shooting. The farther you place your hand out, the less you are tweaking your wrist. I caught a lady who jumped off a bridge a few years back, and it messed with my support wrist and hand something fierce for quite awhile. Hand placement and how you position your wrist is important, especially for those people who have had numerous injuries to the hand, forearm and wrist areas.

If I get a chance, I'll get some pictures up, or even write up something about this in an article. This actually affects a lot of people.

Stickman
03-10-17, 13:37
Since it's an HBar I'm assuming I'll have to go with a single heat sink, that's what it came with. Would a double fit?

The 6721 comes with the lower profile handguards, which is why it is single heart shield. You can use the larger double heat shield handguards, or the Magpul MOE handguards without any trouble. Just make sure you are buying carbine, and not midlength. I carried a LE6721 as a duty weapon for years. It holds the distinction of being the only duty weapon which had a real world FTF for me, but aside from that it was great. Sometimes things just happen, which is why it is so important to train for malfunction clearances and not just give that block of training lip service.

atomicsmurf
03-10-17, 15:25
Thank you Stick. I will watch my hand placement.

If I go with a magpul rail, does anybody have experience with what will fit the colt hand guards. I'm looking at L5, L4, L3.

masakari
03-10-17, 23:52
Since the 6721 is already quite heavy, it might be good to consider getting a very lightweight rail system, such as the BCM KMR, with BCM keymod VFG.