PDA

View Full Version : Exploits of the USS Barb in WWII

Slater
03-12-17, 09:28
That was one imaginative skipper. Hope there's a few like him around today:

"In the closing months of World War II, heavy losses and depleted fuel stocks kept many of Japan’s remaining combat aircraft grounded and warships in port, awaiting an anticipated amphibious invasion. Starting in July 1945, Allied battleships embarked on a series of naval bombardments of coastal cities in Japan in an effort to draw these forces out to battle—with little success. However, a week before the battleships began lobbing their massive shells, a legendary U.S. submarine toting a rocket launcher began its own campaign of coastal terror that foretold the future of naval warfare—and also engaged in the only Allied ground-combat operation on Japanese home-island soil."

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/how-one-very-special-us-submarine-ravaged-japan-during-world-19746

Averageman
03-12-17, 09:56
You know, the idea of rigging up a do it yourself pressure trigger in enemy territory at night all the while hoping the guard didn't wake up or the train coming along and setting the whole thing off before you got out of the blast radius, simply amazing.

SeriousStudent
03-12-17, 15:51
My father was a submariner in the Pacific during WWII, and had met and sailed with some truly impressive people.

I have a large number of books describing those campaigns in my library. If you are interested in the Barb, I can recommend the book written by her commander, Eugene Fluckey, who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions.

https://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Below-Revolutionizes-Submarine-Warfare/dp/0252066707/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489351538&sr=8-1&keywords=uss+barb

Moose-Knuckle
03-14-17, 03:08
Awesome.

Thanks OP for the story and link and SeriousStudent for the book recommendation.

ABNAK
03-14-17, 14:19
I remember the question being posed "Ever hear of a submarine taking out a train?" I was like "WTF?" Then I watched a show on it and it made sense!

WillBrink
03-14-17, 14:58
My father was a submariner in the Pacific during WWII, and had met and sailed with some truly impressive people.

My uncle was submariner in the Pacific during WWII also on USS Sea Poacher. He was old school and tough like woodpecker lips. He cut off a finger during a table saw accident, but decided to sit down and have a drink before going to the ER. That was before they could reattach them.

"Crew of the USS Sea Poacher, posing at the Pearl Harbor Submarine Base in front of a captured Japanese mini-sub (1944)"

http://benbrink.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Screenshot-from-2015-11-11-120041.png

"James Brink (at the time a LTJG) served aboard the Sea Poacher for four war patrols during World War II. After the war he remained in the Reserve, was mobilized during Korea and the Cuban Missile Crisis, commanded two reserve submarines, and retired as a Commander in 1964. In his civilian career, he practiced law for over 40 years."

http://benbrink.com/happy-veterans-day-2/

WillBrink
03-14-17, 15:06
That was one imaginative skipper. Hope there's a few like him around today:

"In the closing months of World War II, heavy losses and depleted fuel stocks kept many of Japan’s remaining combat aircraft grounded and warships in port, awaiting an anticipated amphibious invasion. Starting in July 1945, Allied battleships embarked on a series of naval bombardments of coastal cities in Japan in an effort to draw these forces out to battle—with little success. However, a week before the battleships began lobbing their massive shells, a legendary U.S. submarine toting a rocket launcher began its own campaign of coastal terror that foretold the future of naval warfare—and also engaged in the only Allied ground-combat operation on Japanese home-island soil."

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/how-one-very-special-us-submarine-ravaged-japan-during-world-19746

"A landing party of eight was selected on the basis of their unmarried status and membership in the Boy Scouts." Classic.

Scrubber3
03-14-17, 15:35
I had no idea this ever happened! Thanks for sharing this sir. I cannot fathom how it must have felt to be a crewman onboard that Submarine.

usmcvet
03-14-17, 22:11
"A landing party of eight was selected on the basis of their unmarried status and membership in the Boy Scouts." Classic.

As a Scoutmaster I would hope a Boy Scout wouldn't be married. =)

Seriously thought Scouting teaches some great skills. Even cooler ones back in the 1930's & 1940's.

SeriousStudent
03-14-17, 22:45
And why did they pick Sailors who had been in the Boy Scouts, you ask?

Easy, the Boy Scouts have adult leadership. :cool:

Actually, I once got "voluntold" for an assignment in the Corps because I was an Eagle Scout. So my recruiter screwed yet another time.......

ThirdWatcher
03-15-17, 02:27
Funny, the other night I told my bride about the USS Barb training "sinking" and showed her a pic of their battle flag. My late father joined the Navy on his seventeenth birthday (1948) and served in the diesel boats (his favorite was the USS Rasher, SS269). I have fond memories of playing pinball in the Ballast Point CPO Club while my Dad visited with his buddies (every one a true gentleman). First time I ever saw the "Limbo Rock" too, LOL. Among the fondest memories of my youth was going to the family picnics. What a bunch of fine men. Being a Chief Machinist Mate, Dad was very demanding when I was growing up (and I'm the oldest) but he made me into the man I am today.

At Dad's Memorial Service, the Vicar (a Canadian Navy Veteran) quoted Patton about giving thanks that such men lived. I sincerely do.

hotrodder636
03-15-17, 02:31
Blind Mans Bluff is a good read for the heroics of our submarine fleet. I read it in 1999 when I was in a Navy Nuclear Powr School.

Moose-Knuckle
03-15-17, 11:47
I remember the question being posed "Ever hear of a submarine taking out a train?" I was like "WTF?" Then I watched a show on it and it made sense!

I guess you didn't see Operation Petticoat growing up? They sunk a deuce and a half . . . :lol:

@ 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ttd48u0J0

chuckman
03-15-17, 11:53
Blind Mans Bluff is a good read for the heroics of our submarine fleet. I read it in 1999 when I was in a Navy Nuclear Powr School.

I read it on my honeymoon in 1999 when I wasn't doing, you know, honeymoon stuff. ;)

It is a good book, and opens up a whole new world of submarine service in the Cold War. I toured the Lionfish in Massachusetts, was impressed with how little room there was aboard the WWII boats compared to today's subs.

Moose-Knuckle
03-15-17, 12:07
I toured the Lionfish in Massachusetts, was impressed with how little room there was aboard the WWII boats compared to today's subs.

I've been aboard USS Cavalla SS-244 (Gato-Class) and USS Bowfin SS-287 (Balao-Class) . . . damn those are some tight quarters. Can't imagine being on a patrol in the 40's breathing diesel fumes while packed in there like sardines for months on end.

ThirdWatcher
03-16-17, 00:05

I've read it. Following the latest, greatest Soviet sub for forty-seven days undetected was quite a feat.