PDA

View Full Version : Forced job change, what would you do?

Crow Hunter
03-12-17, 13:26
Well, I just got the news that I am being moved out of my R&D role, that I greatly enjoy, into a Manufacturing Engineering role which I loathe.

I am being told that because we have done such a great job in improving designs to our products the big problems in the facility are related to assembly and as a reward for being the top (and highest paid) performer in my group with annual reviews to match, I "am the man for job"...

Undoubtedly, I am the most qualified person in the facility to do this. I am the only one with any experience in high volume manufacturing and all the Mfg Engs in the plant are right out of school with no experience working anywhere else. Also, beyond a shadow of a doubt, if they would listen to me and do what I recommend they would greatly enhance their production capabilities and improve their quality by leaps and bounds. So from a business decision standpoint, what they are doing makes sense.

The problem is, number one, I know they won't. If they would, they would have done these things on my recommendations while in R&D. My designs were focused on design for manufacturing and I led multiple teams where I all but did the work for them mapping out steps to improve but they didn't. So why on Earth would they do it now?

Secondly and more importantly I absolutely passionately HATE Manufacturing Engineering. It can be tolerable if you have a company focus and culture around it but in my current industry it is a joke.

It is babysitting, NOT engineering.

Just the thought of having to hand hold high school dropouts with a 75 IQ who can't repeatedly follow simple instructions and then deal with the continual pressure about quality defects and low production from upper management, who are also the "leaders" who refuse to spend the money on automation needed to fix these issues, just turns my stomach. This completely leaves out the stupid policies that MFEs have to follow to "support" the production lines. Which means coming in at 5:00 in the morning or staying over until 6:00 at night and working weekends because the morons who don't have to work those hours can't do the math to level load the assembly lines. And "support" by the way means babysitting not engineering. Like showing people with 10 years experience how to do the things that are written in plain English with pictograms or setting up non-complicated equipment that has crashed because people can't follow instructions or management was too cheap to spend money on crash proofing automation.

I like engineering. I really enjoy my R&D job. I get to do real engineering.

I am the best root cause analyst in the plant according to my "exceeds expectations" reviews and I am "extremely valuable" to the corporation according to the Director of Engineering. I develop extremely cost effective and creative means to solve the issues identified in the root cause analysis. I have saved my company many multiples of my salary in customer complaints and sold many products due to improved performance. This is very plainly demonstrated in the precipitous drop in Cost Of Poor Quality figures since I first started in R&D and I am the most senior member other than the manager in the department.

I had a not terribly nice conversation with the Director, my supervisor and my prospective supervisor. I told them that I thought this was BS and I asked if this was a temporary assignment to get them on their feet or permanent. I was told it was a permanent reduction in headcount of the R&D group and I was being added to the Manufacturing Engineering group because of my obvious skills in manufacturing engineering and my 10 years experience as a ME/ME Manager at a high volume/high precision automation heavy Tier 1 Automotive supplier. Which has no similarities whatsoever to the manual shop class "manufacturing" methods of my current employer by the way...

I am close to, if not the highest paid engineer in the facility as I have been repeatedly told that I am bumping up against the compensation ceiling of my current role. Could this be a method of constructive dismissal so they could use my salary to hire two engineers straight out of college?

Originally, the only thing keeping us in the area was that I really enjoyed my job and I didn't want to leave. Most R&D jobs are not in the Southeast US, we are almost exclusively the manufacturing areas. Since I am being moved out of my preferred job, that is now no longer a factor. However, that situation has changed somewhat in that my wife just recently got a promotion and would very much like to stay in the area for at least a year to see if she gets a further promotion to Director of her department. Which is very, very likely to happen according to her.

I could likely get paid more in another industry with similar (read long) hours doing Mfg Eng very easily in this area. Finding another R&D job in this area will be significantly harder to nearly impossible though.

What would you do in my situation?

Firefly
03-12-17, 13:38
Do you need this job?
Are you up to doing something else?
How much do you really care?

I'm sure ol' top over there doesn't lie awake at night worrying about how you are doing.

You gotta do you.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-12-17, 14:00
Holy crap, I think we work at the same company.....

Have them define what success is, document everything you want is to do to fix it and how they respond and resource allocate and prioritize it, communicate when they don't do it so they can't say they were unaware and use that when you are looking for a new position if it doesn't work out. Start working exterior contacts, and I always add a few head hunters to my linkedIn account when I get pissed off.

It's a job.

Jobs are like girlfriends, it is a lot easier to get a new one while you have one.

Campbell
03-12-17, 14:05
You could always "draw a line in the sand" and find out just how valuable you are..., no kidding, good luck on this.

MountainRaven
03-12-17, 14:10
Holy crap, I think we work at the same company.....

Have them define what success is, document everything you want is to do to fix it and how they respond and resource allocate and prioritize it, communicate when they don't do it so they can't say they were unaware and use that when you are looking for a new position if it doesn't work out. Start working exterior contacts, and I always add a few head hunters to my linkedIn account when I get pissed off.

It's a job.

Jobs are like girlfriends, it is a lot easier to get a new one while you have one.

I was going to say, if you really are as valuable to the company as you say you are, if you really don't want to move to doing what they want you to do, I would see about getting head hunted to work for someone who wants you doing for them what you did for your current employer.

MegademiC
03-12-17, 14:26
Depending on the corporate structure, they could be forced to reduce headcount and it sounds the the job they are putting you in is, indeed the best for the company. Maybe they are at a point where they need the production to get caught up with the advancements you made in R&D?

Just because they haven't listened in the past doesn't mean they won't once you are in that position.

I would stay and negotiate for a decent raise, and put the feelers out to other companies. Nothing wrong with looking at options, but don't jump ship because of what you think.

As someone in management, I can tell you people think we make really stupid decisions all the time, because they don't have all the facts. It actually sounds like they want to step up the game in process control and it sounds like youre the guy. Maybe you'll be the one implementing it?

Or maybe they don't like you and are trying to push you out... but I doubt it.

Crow Hunter
03-12-17, 14:34
Do you need this job?
Are you up to doing something else?
How much do you really care?

I'm sure ol' top over there doesn't lie awake at night worrying about how you are doing.

You gotta do you.

-Not really, technically I could retire right now and not have to work for the rest of my life but wouldn't be able to afford to do all the traveling and might not be able to buy all the toys that I would like to buy.
-I really love root cause analysis. I love figuring out problems and developing solutions. I don't really know what else I would do, any suggestions?
-My biggest complaint having to work significantly more uncompensated hours and giving up my Saturdays, particularly in the Fall of the year (which is our busy season), to babysit illiterate retards. I could deal with the management complaining and would likely tell them exactly what I thought of it (I do now in R&D).

I am sure he does not. I do bet that he lies awake at night wondering if he is going to lose his job because of all the problems they are having and can't seem to fix. They have been doing musical chairs every quarter for the last 2 years trying to nail jello to the wall.

I like that quote.

Crow Hunter
03-12-17, 14:41
I was going to say, if you really are as valuable to the company as you say you are, if you really don't want to move to doing what they want you to do, I would see about getting head hunted to work for someone who wants you doing for them what you did for your current employer.

That is hard to do and stay in the area unfortunately. Most of the R&D jobs aren't in the Southeast, just the manufacturing engineering jobs. I definitely could get another job as a manufacturing engineer. I get recruiting calls every couple of weeks but that isn't really what I want to do. Plus, I can't go to work for a competitor in R&D because of a non-compete clause although I get recruiter calls for that all the time.

I did tell them in my meeting that if I am really that valuable, I wanted a raise. The Director said that I was already at the top of the pay but he would see what he could do. I don't figure they will give me a raise.

Plus, my wife really wants to stay at her current job to see if she makes Director. If she does, and the pay scales they way it should. I really won't have to work. ;)

Crow Hunter
03-12-17, 14:50
Depending on the corporate structure, they could be forced to reduce headcount and it sounds the the job they are putting you in is, indeed the best for the company. Maybe they are at a point where they need the production to get caught up with the advancements you made in R&D?This is actually exactly what they told me. Are you working for my company. :)

Just because they haven't listened in the past doesn't mean they won't once you are in that position. Actually that is exactly what they told me. Of course I brought up how this specific Director told me how he didn't want to hear how it used to be done at my previous company when I first started working there. He said that he wouldn't do that now. Right....

I would stay and negotiate for a decent raise, and put the feelers out to other companies. Nothing wrong with looking at options, but don't jump ship because of what you think.

As someone in management, I can tell you people think we make really stupid decisions all the time, because they don't have all the facts. It actually sounds like they want to step up the game in process control and it sounds like youre the guy. Maybe you'll be the one implementing it?Again, precisely what they said, are you sure you aren't in my company? All I have to do is show them the money and they will make the improvements. Of course, I have been making recommendations even to the point of soliciting equipment vendors, developing specifications and getting quotes and they still haven't implemented any of my recommendations in the past.

Or maybe they don't like you and are trying to push you out... but I doubt it. The only reason I could see for them to push me out was due to salary (which I know is higher than most) or because they are afraid for their jobs as we recently just got a new CEO who has a different mindset that previous. I personally believe that he should clean house. The senior leadership at my facility has been in their jobs for at least 10 years (my tenure) and probably closer to 15+ years and some new ideas/directions are needed other than just swapping around the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Me in red.

I actually wish that you were in my company. Sounds like you have a decent management head on your shoulders.

Averageman
03-12-17, 16:50
As soon as you find your niche and really get to loving your work, someone steps in and throws a monkey wrench in the works.
The hardest thing I ever did was retire from the Army. I loved what I did, I was very good at what I did, I enjoyed the people I worked with, but "Big Army" didn't see it that way. It got to be too much, I was a single parent and about to get saddled with an unaccompanied tour, so given the choice, I dropped my paperwork.
Best decision I ever made, not the easiest decision, but the best.
Sometimes you have to step back from a situation, step way back to get a new perspective, when you do you might find you're better off.

Honu
03-12-17, 17:02
almost sounds like its time to start up a consulting deal and go around and help others at your own schedule :)
not sure about your non compete ? but often they are not holding up for consulting etc.. ? or get out of it

if that does not fit take the job have them destroy the non compete as part of you moving to the new position and then start the search :)

Crow Hunter
03-12-17, 17:47
almost sounds like its time to start up a consulting deal and go around and help others at your own schedule :)
not sure about your non compete ? but often they are not holding up for consulting etc.. ? or get out of it

if that does not fit take the job have them destroy the non compete as part of you moving to the new position and then start the search :)

I haven't really thought about that closely. My non-compete agreement only holds for competitors. I could definitely do consulting work for non-competitors in different industries. I bet the non-compete wouldn't hold up even for competitors if I were acting as a consultant and not an employee since my "employer" would be myself and my customer is the competitor.

If my wife does get that final promotion, I might just quit and do that. I already have her permission. :)

Ideally, I wanted to wait until my wife and I were finally ready to retire and get a job closer to where we want to retire, get them to pay for relocation expenses and such, build our retirement home and then quit. Maybe I could just do consulting instead and it wouldn't matter where we lived.

Something I need to think on.

Crow Hunter
03-12-17, 17:48
As soon as you find your niche and really get to loving your work, someone steps in and throws a monkey wrench in the works.
The hardest thing I ever did was retire from the Army. I loved what I did, I was very good at what I did, I enjoyed the people I worked with, but "Big Army" didn't see it that way. It got to be too much, I was a single parent and about to get saddled with an unaccompanied tour, so given the choice, I dropped my paperwork.
Best decision I ever made, not the easiest decision, but the best.
Sometimes you have to step back from a situation, step way back to get a new perspective, when you do you might find you're better off.

Yes. It is very annoying.

I am glad that it worked out for the best for you.

I will definitely not make any rash decisions. Thank you for the encouragement though.

1_click_off
03-12-17, 18:38
I am going to also say you should look at consulting on your own. Depending on what state you are in, non-competes can be almost a non-issue. Some are very weakly supported and hard to enforce.

Insurance is the killer though. That will be your biggest expense. You can however get riders when you need to step up for special projects and then drop back down to normal levels.

There are tons of companies that will not listen to their own employee's but pay you big $$$ to tell them the exact same thing they could have gotten for free.

MegademiC
03-12-17, 22:39
Me in red.

I actually wish that you were in my company. Sounds like you have a decent management head on your shoulders.

You sound like my company 10 months ago.

New ceo? That changes everything. We got one and the entire Sr mgt team eventually changed/moved/moved on. The stuff that was talked about is now being done.

If this guy is a serious do-er, you very well could be doing what you've wanted to. I pretty much lived where your at 10 months ago, and it's great now.

I'd stick around to see what this guy is like. He could be full of it, but who knows.

What state are you in?

PrarieDog
03-13-17, 00:05
Take it and own it. Lay out a plan and demonstrate where improvements will be made then follow through. Get their blessing so they have ownership.
I ended up taking over a underperforming group nobody wanted. Changed their core duties around, shed unwanted unneeded work, cut an employee. In a year and a half they have been 35% more productive and I have saved close to 500k. All this in local government. Look at it as a challenge and beat them at their own game.

wildcard600
03-13-17, 01:00
I would stick it out for a while and see which way the wind is blowing. If it sucks, bail.

Sounds at least like your current salary is in line with the job requirements ? The last company I worked for tried to "promote" me to oversee a type of project that they pay people many times more than myself to do. I politely made the point clear that I wasn't interested in doing work so high above my pay grade without being compensated for it. They told me that the company expects people to "work to the level of their ability, not the level of their pay".

I left that position quickly and moved laterally to another area of the company where after a years time they wanted to "promote" me to oversee a different project. At that point I was pretty irate and less than politely informed them that I had detailed records of how much money I had saved the company in both positions that I had held, and if they weren't offering even a fraction of that amount as additional compensation I was going to move on. Needless to say, I don't work there anymore.

TL-DR - See if it sucks and if so do something else. Life is to short to waste dealing with crap like that. Even if you have to make sacrifices (which it sounds like yours will be minimal) you will probably be happier in the long run which is all that matters.

militarymoron
03-13-17, 09:36
I'd probably be upset if that were done to me (at first), but I'd also look at it as an opportunity to change the things you don't like about MFE. Many issues on the manufacturing side can be addressed by changes to design; and I think that an R&D engineer that has manufacturing experiences makes a better R&D engineer (unless they're already working hand-in-hand with the manf floor as part of their job). DFMAT suffers when designers haven't had any exposure to the MAT part.

You can be the liaison between R&D and MFE when there are manf & assembly issues that can be addressed by design improvements. I think the different perspective will be beneficial; plus it doesn't hurt to have more diversity on your resume that shows you worked both the design and production side of manufacturing. As for the 'illiterate retards'; think 'mentoring'. You might turn some of them around and I think that it could be personally gratifying to be a positive influence to other folk. Also, if what your company is doing makes good business sense, then there's not much arguing against it. It's all about the bottom line to the company. But it does look like you're senior enough to make changes.

Just so you know where I'm coming from; I've worked for the past 25 years as an engineer for one of the largest US defense/aerospace companies in a job that includes both design and manufacturing (like you, I'm also the most senior/highest paid member in my group). It can be really challenging at times, but in the end, it's just a job and I'm being paid well. If I really feel that I'm not being appreciated for my expertise or would be much happier some place else, then i'd take steps to leave. But in the meantime, I'll do whatever they need/want me to do as long as I'm compensated fairly and it doesn't go against my principles/better technical judgement; and I'll try to do my best at it. If I really feel that I'm not being appreciated for my expertise or would be much happier some place else, then i'd take steps to leave.

Doc Safari
03-13-17, 11:00
OP, I reread your first post several times and at first I took it one way, but then I decided maybe they are doing you a favor. They value you as an employee and are trying to find you a niche instead of eliminating your job. You said maybe they just want to push you out and hire two lower-paid employees. My take is that maybe they want to eliminate some lower tier employees and they think you will improve that department enough to make such a thing possible. They are putting a good employee (you) into a position that will allow them to fire four incompetent boobs or something. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but after a couple of rereads that's kind of what came to the fore.

This thread illustrates why I started to "game the system" before I retired. When you work hard and accomplish things, you don't get a raise, you don't get a promotion, you don't get more vacation time---you just get more work. They know you will handle it.

I also found out that the guys who kiss ass and play golf with the boss get the primo jobs and promotions. Truly it is WHO you know.

So I went from gung-ho goal-oriented star employee to the guy who just does enough to not get fired. I know some will criticize that but when you bust your ass at a job for five or six years and then the boss tries to hire his "buddy" and kick you out "just because" then you get a little cynical.

My advice to you OP: if you are really stuck taking the new position, do good enough that you can maybe find something better somewhere else.

Sometimes the only way to get ahead is to get away.

donlapalma
03-13-17, 12:13
Ever think of going on your own and becoming an engineering consultant? It sounds like you've got enough in the bank to have some degree of flexibility. You'd have more control over the scope of work that you do so maybe you can carve out a niche? Downside could be that maybe you would have to travel more? Just throwing ideas out there. Good luck.

Crow Hunter
03-13-17, 18:52
You sound like my company 10 months ago.

New ceo? That changes everything. We got one and the entire Sr mgt team eventually changed/moved/moved on. The stuff that was talked about is now being done.

If this guy is a serious do-er, you very well could be doing what you've wanted to. I pretty much lived where your at 10 months ago, and it's great now.

I'd stick around to see what this guy is like. He could be full of it, but who knows.

What state are you in?

One of his quotes was that he wanted to see things with different eyes. I take that literally as in he wants the facilities to get a new set of senior management clothes and start seeing things differently. Lots of the senior management in my facility have been in place for 15+years and some for 20+. You can't help but stagnate in that situation.

The new CEO is someone that I really like. He definitely has an good grasp of business (started his own while in college that he has since sold) and is definitely dynamic.

I am in TN.

Crow Hunter
03-13-17, 19:01
I'd probably be upset if that were done to me (at first), but I'd also look at it as an opportunity to change the things you don't like about MFE. Many issues on the manufacturing side can be addressed by changes to design; and I think that an R&D engineer that has manufacturing experiences makes a better R&D engineer (unless they're already working hand-in-hand with the manf floor as part of their job). DFMAT suffers when designers haven't had any exposure to the MAT part.

You can be the liaison between R&D and MFE when there are manf & assembly issues that can be addressed by design improvements. I think the different perspective will be beneficial; plus it doesn't hurt to have more diversity on your resume that shows you worked both the design and production side of manufacturing. As for the 'illiterate retards'; think 'mentoring'. You might turn some of them around and I think that it could be personally gratifying to be a positive influence to other folk. Also, if what your company is doing makes good business sense, then there's not much arguing against it. It's all about the bottom line to the company. But it does look like you're senior enough to make changes.

Just so you know where I'm coming from; I've worked for the past 25 years as an engineer for one of the largest US defense/aerospace companies in a job that includes both design and manufacturing (like you, I'm also the most senior/highest paid member in my group). It can be really challenging at times, but in the end, it's just a job and I'm being paid well. If I really feel that I'm not being appreciated for my expertise or would be much happier some place else, then i'd take steps to leave. But in the meantime, I'll do whatever they need/want me to do as long as I'm compensated fairly and it doesn't go against my principles/better technical judgement; and I'll try to do my best at it. If I really feel that I'm not being appreciated for my expertise or would be much happier some place else, then i'd take steps to leave.

Actually I have as much Manufacturing experiences as I do R&D, which is why I prefer R&D more. :) I worked for 10 years in a high volume, high precision, highly automated and highly stressful Automotive Tier 1 supplier. They think some how applies to our basically high school wood shop manufacturing and assembly lines. It really doesn't unless they let me redesign the product AND put in some serious and expensive automation. Which I am sure they won't because I have tried to push them in that direction before. It will be babysitting, I am sure. My new boss even pulled me aside today to show me some stuff he needs help with. Such as moving some large heavy equipment (babysitting maintenance/contractors) and installing some clamps on another piece of equipment (either babysitting maintenance or doing it myself). No real engineering at all. Something a Co-op should be assigned to do instead of cleaning parts or painting stuff... (Seriously, at least the Co-ops get paid well, they don't actually learn any engineering like R&D Co-ops do).

I am going to give it a chance. Maybe they will let me do some of the things that I have been complaining they aren't doing for years now. I am not holding my breath though.

RazorBurn
03-13-17, 19:01
-Not really, technically I could retire right now and not have to work for the rest of my life but wouldn't be able to afford to do all the traveling and might not be able to buy all the toys that I would like to buy.
-I really love root cause analysis. I love figuring out problems and developing solutions. I don't really know what else I would do, any suggestions?
-My biggest complaint having to work significantly more uncompensated hours and giving up my Saturdays, particularly in the Fall of the year (which is our busy season), to babysit illiterate retards. I could deal with the management complaining and would likely tell them exactly what I thought of it (I do now in R&D).

I am sure he does not. I do bet that he lies awake at night wondering if he is going to lose his job because of all the problems they are having and can't seem to fix. They have been doing musical chairs every quarter for the last 2 years trying to nail jello to the wall.

I like that quote.

This is what you need to say when you respectfully decline the "promotion". Do what you want to do, especially where you're a highly skilled person.

You could always "draw a line in the sand" and find out just how valuable you are..., no kidding, good luck on this.

Either the company values you, or they don't. If they don't value where you want to be, then it's time to move on anyway. It's taken me a long time to figure this out, but the company doesn't own you. Do what you want to do.

Crow Hunter
03-13-17, 19:08
OP, I reread your first post several times and at first I took it one way, but then I decided maybe they are doing you a favor. They value you as an employee and are trying to find you a niche instead of eliminating your job. You said maybe they just want to push you out and hire two lower-paid employees. My take is that maybe they want to eliminate some lower tier employees and they think you will improve that department enough to make such a thing possible. They are putting a good employee (you) into a position that will allow them to fire four incompetent boobs or something. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but after a couple of rereads that's kind of what came to the fore.

This thread illustrates why I started to "game the system" before I retired. When you work hard and accomplish things, you don't get a raise, you don't get a promotion, you don't get more vacation time---you just get more work. They know you will handle it.

I also found out that the guys who kiss ass and play golf with the boss get the primo jobs and promotions. Truly it is WHO you know.

So I went from gung-ho goal-oriented star employee to the guy who just does enough to not get fired. I know some will criticize that but when you bust your ass at a job for five or six years and then the boss tries to hire his "buddy" and kick you out "just because" then you get a little cynical.

My advice to you OP: if you are really stuck taking the new position, do good enough that you can maybe find something better somewhere else.

Sometimes the only way to get ahead is to get away.

Thank you. You are 100% right about the golfing part. I seriously know of a guy who was hired into a senior leadership position at another company just because he played golf with with CEO. Then failed the drug test and the CEO STILL wanted to hire him and tried to get the rules changed!!!

I don't think they are trying to get rid of anyone. They just fired a guy week before last (he was a terrible engineer) and they have had a job posting out there for a long time with no responses. They want to find an experienced engineer but no one wants to move to bumfreaking Egypt for what they are willing to pay. I did it because it was in an area close to where I grew up/wanted to retire and it was an R&D job which was what I wanted to do.

The more I talk to people the more desperate that they seem to be. I am really thinking that I am the Obi-wan to their Leia. Good thing I asked for a raise. That and the fit I pitched is probably why they still haven't made the announcement yet. I bet they went to HR and told them what I did and said and now they are trying to figure out a way to pay me more so I won't up and leave.

Or maybe they are trying to figure out a way to let me stay in R&D but help them out with some project work. (Which I would be happy to do as long as I don't have to freaking babysit people!)

militarymoron
03-13-17, 19:13
Actually I have as much Manufacturing experiences as I do R&D, which is why I prefer R&D more. :) <snip>
I am going to give it a chance. Maybe they will let me do some of the things that I have been complaining they aren't doing for years now. I am not holding my breath though.

Gotcha - thanks for adding more info. Keep us updated - this stuff interests me.

Crow Hunter
03-13-17, 19:15
Ever think of going on your own and becoming an engineering consultant? It sounds like you've got enough in the bank to have some degree of flexibility. You'd have more control over the scope of work that you do so maybe you can carve out a niche? Downside could be that maybe you would have to travel more? Just throwing ideas out there. Good luck.

Not seriously until now. Actually my wife said that is what I should do. Well, actually my wife said I should just quit and be a house husband, but I would get bored and I want to buy toys. :)

I told her that I would definitely plan on doing that if it sucks as bad as I figure it will and doesn't get better by next year and she gets her big promotion.

Actually my current R&D boss spoke to me about it today. He asked me to please not do that and to just hang on until review time next year, which is not quite a year, and he was going to be pushing very, very hard to get me back because the original plan was that the head count in R&D was going to be shifted into Manufacturing but that it wasn't supposed to be permanent for the person moved. They were supposed to rotate back into R&D and be replaced with another R&D person.

If that is true, I can handle that. It would be another 4 or 5 years before I would have to do a babysitting tour again.

Thanks for the ideas and well wishes.

aguila327
03-14-17, 15:34
As an uninterested third party I find the troubles and tribulations of anyone who thinks do highly of themselves suspect. That's usually the trouble with highly talented and skilled people. They know their value but fail to see the value of others in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure there are some real winners involved in this but there is just something in the tone of the message that weakens the argument here. I hope everyone find some kind of satisfaction here but I think that no matter where he goes there will always be something that will upset him. Sometime the best thing to do is cut your loses and not give management the benefit of your abilities.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX
03-14-17, 15:50
Not seriously until now. Actually my wife said that is what I should do. Well, actually my wife said I should just quit and be a house husband, but I would get bored and I want to buy toys. :)

I told her that I would definitely plan on doing that if it sucks as bad as I figure it will and doesn't get better by next year and she gets her big promotion.

Actually my current R&D boss spoke to me about it today. He asked me to please not do that and to just hang on until review time next year, which is not quite a year, and he was going to be pushing very, very hard to get me back because the original plan was that the head count in R&D was going to be shifted into Manufacturing but that it wasn't supposed to be permanent for the person moved. They were supposed to rotate back into R&D and be replaced with another R&D person.

If that is true, I can handle that. It would be another 4 or 5 years before I would have to do a babysitting tour again.

Thanks for the ideas and well wishes.

Based on what I've read up to this point, and sorry if I didn't read all the way and duplicate, you sound like an excellent candidate to get your Lean/Six Sigma credentials and just go consult. Lots of opportunity there.

Sounds like you already have many skills like process mapping, root cause analysis, etc.

Might be worth a look...

https://asq.org/cert

http://www.leansixsigmainstitute.org/

Do your homework before jumping into a training program. I went through the Villanova program, sponsored by my job. It was decent and taught the tools pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerplode
03-14-17, 17:10
What would I do? I'd pick the path that pays the most money.

I've been an R&D EE for nearly 20 years. I'm excellent at what I do, but I hate it. And I especially hate manufactured corporate bullshit drama and idiot kiss-ass managers.

So, I go every day and do the best job I can, but give as few f*cks as possible. Then I collect my paycheck and use their money to pay for the things I enjoy.

It's just a job.