PDA

View Full Version : CLP migrating under scope rings?

WS6
03-15-17, 03:29
CLP on an AR platform rifle tends to get blown everywhere, plus cleaning drips here and there, etc. Point being, can CLP that contaminates the rings/scope weep/migrate under the rings and cause scope movement? I de-greased everything properly before assembly, but one wonders if CLP won't migrate or "crawl" (we've all seen it crawl UP metal in various advertisements) under the rings and lead to issue, or once everything is mounted, is it "set" and nothing will cause a problem?

mack7.62
03-15-17, 05:56
You are still using CLP? That's so last century. :sarcastic: As to the question I have no idea but have never heard of it being an issue, a test might be to douse the rings down then after a while clean them off and take them apart to check for migration.

GH41
03-15-17, 07:11
I have never intentionally drenched a scope/mount with CLP but almost every scope I have removed had oil between the rings and scope. I never had a problem. If you look at the metal's surface with enough magnification it looks like a mountain range. The peaks on both parts are resting on each other. The oil is running through the valleys. On typical AR caliber rifles it'll probably never cause a problem. Now maybe on a 7 pound 300WM bolt gun sporting a 1 1/2 pound scope it would be an issue.

WS6
03-15-17, 07:18
I have never intentionally drenched a scope/mount with CLP but almost every scope I have removed had oil between the rings and scope. I never had a problem. If you look at the metal's surface with enough magnification it looks like a mountain range. The peaks on both parts are resting on each other. The oil is running through the valleys. On typical AR caliber rifles it'll probably never cause a problem. Now maybe on a 7 pound 300WM bolt gun sporting a 1 1/2 pound scope it would be an issue.

Roger that. This is what I meant. Noone INTENTIONALLY (well...I mean...noone I would claim to know...) drenches the optic with CLP, but over the thousands of rounds, it does tend to get there, whether by bore-snake whipping against the tube as you pull it through the upper, or by mist shot out the ejection port, or by CLP sprayed into the action (and consequently the side of the rifle).

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's noticed, and glad to know it's a non-issue, fundamentally. TY!

gaijin
03-15-17, 08:09
Yes I've noticed oil having migrated under rings, no- it's never been a problem re. scope shift.