PDA

View Full Version : Swageit for RL550B

B52U
03-18-17, 10:29
I keep getting advertisements on my fb feed for the "swageit" aftermarket dillon swager for the 550B. It is marketed as superior to the other aftermarket dillon swaging units.

Curious if anyone has used one and what their thoughts are.

I am aware that these void Dillon's warranty as someone always asks that question on their advertisement afterwhich they resolve concerns by pointing to their ebay reviews.

T2C
03-18-17, 12:36
This is the first time I've seen this device. If I have to go to the trouble of removing the primer feeder from my Dillon reloader, I would be expending more time that I already am.

For the price of the Swage It, I would buy another Dillon Super Swage 600 if I had to replace mine. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3086 I mounted my Super Swage to a 2" x 6" and can store it out of the way when it's not in use to conserve bench space.

Vegas
03-18-17, 12:41
A friend has the Super Swage and it seems to do the job nicely.

B52U
03-18-17, 12:59
This is the first time I've seen this device. If I have to go to the trouble of removing the primer feeder from my Dillon reloader, I would be expending more time that I already am.

For the price of the Swage It, I would buy another Dillon Super Swage 600 if I had to replace mine. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3086 I mounted my Super Swage to a 2" x 6" and can store it out of the way when it's not in use to conserve bench space.
That seems to be a sticking point for me too. I could probably justify doing that for large batches, but for small batches the off press methods suffice.

Travelingchild
03-19-17, 09:15
I've got one on my 650xl It works great, Less than ten minutes to do change over,
On a 650 2 allen bolts for primer punch support bracket, then the primer seater assy, (1 bolt)
I run it with my separate tool head for prep, station 1 decap size, station 2 swagit, station 3(empty), station 5 dillon rt1200 trimmer, station 6 empty
Some variation of this should work on a 550, inferring your running a case feeder, saving time by doing all rifle case prep at one pass saving time
As I rarely prep less than 500 cases at a time the change over time is a nonissue to me, If I have more say 2000 and I'm feeling lazy i trade it out to another forum member who runs a 1050.:)

B52U
03-19-17, 09:37
I've got one on my 650xl It works great, Less than ten minutes to do change over,
On a 650 2 allen bolts for primer punch support bracket, then the primer seater assy, (1 bolt)
I run it with my separate tool head for prep, station 1 decap size, station 2 swagit, station 3(empty), station 5 dillon rt1200 trimmer, station 6 empty
Some variation of this should work on a 550, inferring your running a case feeder, saving time by doing all rifle case prep at one pass saving time
As I rarely prep less than 500 cases at a time the change over time is a nonissue to me, If I have more say 2000 and I'm feeling lazy i trade it out to another forum member who runs a 1050.:)
Cool thanks for the feedback.

Travelingchild
03-19-17, 09:41
Forgot to mention, Make sure there are

POSITIVELY NO PRIMERS IN TUBE, OR ELSEWARE IN PRIMER ASSY,,

That would not end well!

B52U
03-19-17, 09:44
Forgot to mention, Make sure there are

POSITIVELY NO PRIMERS IN TUBE, OR ELSEWARE IN PRIMER ASSY,,

That would not end well!
Haha indeed. I always run my feed empty before ending a session.

Travelingchild
03-19-17, 09:50
Just noticed your in Utah, I'm in JH are you a sled neck the Hill Climb is next week.

B52U
03-19-17, 11:38
Just noticed your in Utah, I'm in JH are you a sled neck the Hill Climb is next week.
I'm not a sled guy but mad props to you guys who attempt to defy the laws of physics on those hills. This winter must have been epic with 40ft + of snowfall this winter!

Ironman8
03-19-17, 13:36
For those who have used the Dillon Super Swage, have yall had any issues with the swage being off center where only half of the crimp was taken out? Also, did y'all have issues with different headstamps swaying differently from each other (some too much and some not enough)?

Sorry for the slight off topic, but the Swageit looks like a good solution...but just curious if my Super Swage was just set up wrong.

HMM
03-25-17, 20:43
Get the centering inserts from Inline Fabrication (mash me (https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/press-accessories/products/centering-inserts-for-the-dillon-superswage-1)). I have one and it works great.

My other little trick is I take a black sharpie and draw a line across the bottom of my 223 reloads. When I'm picking up my brass and any other that is left behind I can easily sort my brass that I know is swaged already from the rest. I'll clean them separately and throw them in the "Clean, deprimed & swaged" bin. I have a single stage press and a super swage mounted on a grinder stand so I can deprime and swage while watching TV. I swage all my 223 because it's as quick to look as it is to swage while watching TV.

HMM
03-25-17, 20:49
Oh and be careful on Inline Fabrication's web site, I've bought a ton of his stuff. It's easy to do!

Both my 650s are set up with the following:
Ultra mounts, dual bins, skylights, bin barriers, tool head stands with the wall storage system, and primer tube racks.

T2C
03-26-17, 09:34
For those who have used the Dillon Super Swage, have yall had any issues with the swage being off center where only half of the crimp was taken out? Also, did y'all have issues with different headstamps swaying differently from each other (some too much and some not enough)?

Sorry for the slight off topic, but the Swageit looks like a good solution...but just curious if my Super Swage was just set up wrong.

I haven't had any issues. I do have to move the swaging pin slightly to center it in the primer pocket as I press down on the press handle. If I do my part, the Dillon Super Swage does it's job.

26 Inf
03-30-17, 19:17
Oh and be careful on Inline Fabrication's web site, I've bought a ton of his stuff. It's easy to do!

Both my 650s are set up with the following:
Ultra mounts, dual bins, skylights, bin barriers, tool head stands with the wall storage system, and primer tube racks.

Darn, I could see how that could happen. Could you give me a run down on the Skylight in terms of usefulness. I have a 550 with a casefeeder.

HMM
03-30-17, 21:15
I love it, it illuminates everything nicely. I didn't use the side lights that stick to the side of the press, only the top light that fits perfectly in the hole of my tool head. I have decent light in my reloading room upstairs so that helps as well. And I'm just shy of 40 so my eyes are still good.

I mainly like it because it makes it easy to look into the pistol brass to visually see the powder charge. I have the dillon powder check but I like to visually see down in there before putting the bullet in.

26 Inf
03-30-17, 22:03
Thanks.