PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P Action Package?

SpartanArms
09-23-08, 21:46
Hey All,

I'm seriously considering sending my M&P 45 in to the Performance Center @ S&W for their M&P Pistol Action package. This includes:

Polishing the feed ramp
Tuned Action
Installation of Performance Center sear
Test fire for function

All that for $125 and approx. one week turn-around time. Does anybody have any experience with this service? Has anyone had this work performed on their M&P? I know Hilton Yam and Doc Gary Roberts over on 10-8 Forums had some good things to say about it, but I haven't seen much else about it here or elsewhere. Any firsthand info/thoughts would be appreciated.:D

POF.Ops
09-23-08, 22:55
Sounds interesting, no trigger work? Interested parties are anxious to hear the results.

SpartanArms
09-23-08, 23:09
POF.Ops,

From what I've read over at 10-8 Forums the Performance Center sear for the M&P pistol seems to be quite an improvement over the factory trigger, especially with the M&P45. My trigger as I received it from the factory isn't bad, although I would have preferred a better reset; but from what I understand the reset on all the M&P's is pretty much the same. Not quite as distinct as a Glock trigger reset, but not unworkable either. Will definitely sound off here once I have had the work done and get a chance to shoot it again.

POF.Ops
09-23-08, 23:14
Cool. I'm in the process of obtaining a 4" M&P .45 ACP.

exitinyourhead
09-24-08, 00:23
I think for around the same $'s you can get a trigger job with feed ramp polishing from these guys

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/Services.htm

I don't know about "action tuning" and i'm not sure what is involved with the S&W process.

I sent my 9mm M&P to Burwell and the trigger is vastly improved. I've heard a ton of good things about bowie also. They also offer a bunch of other services for these type pistols. Good luck with you pistol, just thought i would throw out some other options to shop around.

SpartanArms
09-24-08, 01:52
exitinyourhead,

I understand what you are saying; however I'm not interested in having a standard trigger job done. I'm interested mainly in getting the Performance Center sear installed, which is not available anywhere else unless you purchase the M&P9 Pro pistol or have one installed by the Performance Center. If I were looking for a standard trigger job done on an M&P I would definitely call Mr. Bowie however! While many may have had good results with work done by Burwell, I have heard of and seen too many of his trigger jobs result in a full-auto M&P.:(

maximus83
09-24-08, 06:03
The two smiths listed above are excellent (I can't speak to the full-auto thing, haven't heard about that), they have great reputations on the M&P forums and I've talked with them both. One advantage of going thru S&W Perf Ctr right now, if you care about the wait, is that they can turn it around quite a bit sooner. Both of the gunsmiths above are telling people that your gun will be with them for several months because they have a large backlog of work. I don't relish being without my M&P for several months right now.

John_Wayne777
09-24-08, 12:08
I have heard of and seen too many of his trigger jobs result in a full-auto M&P.:(

To be fair to Mr. Burwell I believe that has not been seen with his "duty" trigger job that my M&P has. All the ones I've heard about have been with the "competition" triggers where people actually asked for the lightest possible trigger on their gun.

Racegun triggers have no place on a duty/carry weapon. They are too prone to parts breakage and serious malfunctions like the weapon running away on you. It's happened to lots of competition shooters using 1911's with sub-2 pound triggers.

SpartanArms
09-24-08, 16:34
John_Wayne777,

Thanks for your input on the matter. Yes to be fair to Mr. Burwell the trigger jobs that resulted in full-auto M&P's were 'competition' triggers which should be avoided like the plague on a fighting handgun. Apologies for my lack of detail on that issue. I too am more than willing to pay the $125 and be without my M&P's for a week or so to get the P.C. sear installed, the added work involved in the M&P Pistol Action Package is just icing on the cake.:D

R Moran
09-25-08, 16:01
I just put my M&P 40 with ups today. I had them add Warren sights, so I could not do the express service. The lady on the phone at S&W, didn't sound like an SME, but she said check back in 10 days, if I haven't been contacted by the shop. It'll get there tomorrow afternoon.

If it goes well, I'll send my 9mm and .45, I'll probably send the slide to someone else for the sights, though, so I can do the express service and save the 60 dollar overnight charge.

Bob

POF.Ops
09-25-08, 22:43
Good info here. ^^Please let us know how it turns out.

HK45
10-05-08, 12:55
Thats the perfect M&P .45 in my book. The right size for carry, competiton or anything else. Well balanced too.

Cool. I'm in the process of obtaining a 4" M&P .45 ACP.

ra2bach
10-06-08, 11:28
what does the Performance Center sear do?

I understand it makes a "nicer" trigger but after a little work on the striker safety plunger, the trigger on my stock gun is pretty good right now.

what I'm looking for is a "better" feeling reset. does the PC sear give this?

R Moran
10-17-08, 02:16
Got my M&P40 back from S&W today, and got to put about 200 round thru it.

I had them install Warren sights, and do the action "job".

The original trigger on this gun, was not all that bad, better then my 45 version, so its hard to say teh pull was better, but the reset is definately more pronounced, though I didn't really have much of a problem with the vagueness of the original.
The feedramp was polished bright, but then again, I had no problems in that are either.

Gun shoots to point of aim, more or less, and is pretty nice. The jury is still out on the sights, though.

I also added an iron works stippled backstrap in FDE, and mag release. Overall its nice setup, for alot less then my 1911's.

I think the action job was worth the 100 bucks, and will eventually do my 9 and 45, but with different sight....maybe.

Bob

R Moran
10-18-08, 02:32
As I stated in my above post, the reset is definately better with the performance sear in place.
I would try and talk to a PC smith, and explain what your looking for, and see if they can help.

Bob

czydj
10-18-08, 09:23
thanks. I guess I could live with a slightly lighter pull weight, but I'd prefer it about where it is now, although made less gritty with a nice clean break and no over-travel. I would like a more distinct reset but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

thanks for your reply.

I was able to get my 9mm to S&W for the PC sear. The trigger is very smooth and has very little over-travel, perhaps none. If trigger pull weight is lighter, it's marginal from a stock, non-MA trigger. It still has a generous take-up.

John_Wayne777
10-18-08, 11:46
thanks. I guess I could live with a slightly lighter pull weight, but I'd prefer it about where it is now, although made less gritty with a nice clean break and no over-travel. I would like a more distinct reset but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

thanks for your reply.

If you have the PC sear and the MA trigger bar and spring installed together, the combination of the two will probably be exactly what you are looking for.