PDA

View Full Version : Officer Convicted of Manslaughter in Boy's Death

WillBrink
03-26-17, 09:18
EDIT: Other evidence comes to light that suggests these LEOs were not on the up and up and more to the story so my support for them is diminished, and more intel needed to make definite conclusions:

MARKSVILLE, La. (AP) — The Latest on murder trial of a law enforcement officer charged in the shooting death of a 6-year-old boy (all times local):

9 p.m.

Jurors have convicted a Louisiana law enforcement officer of manslaughter in a shooting that killed a 6-year-old autistic boy.

Multiple news outlets report the jury late Friday found Derrick Stafford guilty on manslaughter and attempted manslaughter charges. Stafford had been indicted on charges of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder.

Stafford and another deputy city marshal opened fire on a car, killing Jeremy Mardis and critically wounding his father after a car chase in Marksville on Nov. 3, 2015.

Video from a police officer's body camera shows the father, Christopher Few, had his hands raised inside his vehicle while the two deputies fired.

Stafford testified he shot at the car because he feared Few was going to back up and hit the other deputy, Norris Greenhouse Jr.

Greenhouse faces a separate trial later this year.

cont:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/louisiana/articles/2017-03-24/the-latest-officer-convicted-of-manslaughter-in-boys-death

Mjolnir
03-26-17, 09:49
A crappy situation all around. What really sucks is the ultimate responsibility of the boys death falls firmly on the father. The POS goes on a high speed chase with his 6 year old son in the car. Now a child dead, and the career and life of one, maybe two, LEOs ruined. Don't see any mention of the charges for the father. I'd hope no mercy given him for getting his kid killed.

MARKSVILLE, La. (AP) — The Latest on murder trial of a law enforcement officer charged in the shooting death of a 6-year-old boy (all times local):

9 p.m.

Jurors have convicted a Louisiana law enforcement officer of manslaughter in a shooting that killed a 6-year-old autistic boy.

Multiple news outlets report the jury late Friday found Derrick Stafford guilty on manslaughter and attempted manslaughter charges. Stafford had been indicted on charges of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder.

Stafford and another deputy city marshal opened fire on a car, killing Jeremy Mardis and critically wounding his father after a car chase in Marksville on Nov. 3, 2015.

Video from a police officer's body camera shows the father, Christopher Few, had his hands raised inside his vehicle while the two deputies fired.

Stafford testified he shot at the car because he feared Few was going to back up and hit the other deputy, Norris Greenhouse Jr.

Greenhouse faces a separate trial later this year.

cont:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/louisiana/articles/2017-03-24/the-latest-officer-convicted-of-manslaughter-in-boys-death

Uh, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjolnir
03-26-17, 09:51
There is MUCH you don't know about this case that I should not discuss until the other asshole is convicted of murder.

Once you get the details you'll agree, too.

Vandal
03-26-17, 09:51
The father should be charged with the same crime as the city marshals as it was his actions that started this chain of events. He was complicit in the death of his son.

This case does go deeper than just this article, there was some personal bad blood between the father and either one or both of the city marshals, IIRC involving a woman.

Mjolnir
03-26-17, 09:52
The father should be charged with the same crime as the city marshals as it was his actions that started this chain of events. He was complicit in the death of his son.

This case does go deeper than just this article, there was some personal bad blood between the father and either one or both of the city marshals, IIRC involving a woman.

Not really. Prior knowledge, contact, relationship.... I'm from here. We know what happened.

WillBrink
03-26-17, 09:58
There is MUCH you don't know about this case that I should not discuss until the other asshole is convicted of murder.

Once you get the details you'll agree, too.

So the father going on a high speed chase with his 6 year old is not correct intel? Note, I didn't defend the LEOs actions per se and trust the jury had details I/we not privy to. I do know, high speed chases a bad idea, doing so with your kid in the car (1) makes you a POS and (2) may end very badly due to any number of unforeseen events. Unless it's an invented story, 1 and 2 still apply. You know how you don't get shot and your kid killed by a cop who saw your hands up and shot anyway due to panic or malice? Don't go on high speed chases with the po po.

That does not mean the convictions are not a valid outcome of this event. Two different issues.

Mjolnir
03-26-17, 10:00
So the father going on a high speed chase with his 6 year old is not correct intel? Note, I didn't defend the LEOs actions per se and trust the jury had details I/we not privy to. I do know, high speed chases a bad idea, doing so with your kid in the car (1) makes you a POS and (2) may end very badly due to any number of unforeseen events. Unless it's an invented story, 1 and 2 still apply. You know how you don't get shot and your kid killed by a cop who saw your hands up and shot anyway due to panic or malice? Don't go on high speed chases with the po po.

That does not mean the convictions are not a valid outcome of this event. Two different issues.

Yeah, okay.

Both of those officers are going to prison for a reason. There is also a reason NO fellow police officers supported these two Fuktards. I don't think you should, either...

WillBrink
03-26-17, 10:04
Yeah, okay.

Both of those officers are going to prison for a reason. There is also a reason NO fellow police officers supported these two Fuktards. I don't think you should, either...

As there may be more to the story than I'm aware of, that strengthens convictions, but does not change who started the chain of events. If it were a straight up assassination by these LEOs, then they should throw the book at them.

Firefly
03-26-17, 10:46
I am to the right of Dallas Stoudenmire when it comes to police shootings and.....no. Don't feel sorry for any copper here.

JMEO

SomeOtherGuy
03-26-17, 20:36
There have been some public news stories on this incident that pretty clearly make the case that the father was not guilty of much, if anything, and that the "police" in this case, while technically LE under Louisiana law, are not qualified, employed or operating in a way that good professional police officers would feel much in common with.

I'd suggest you google the incident or just refrain from judging at this point. And unlike Mjolnir I don't have any inside information.

As there may be more to the story than I'm aware of, that strengthens convictions, but does not change who started the chain of events. If it were a straight up assassination by these LEOs, then they should throw the book at them.

I think your last sentence is closer to reality here.

Moose-Knuckle
03-27-17, 04:37
Those two LEO's where thugs for hire.

They murdered that child plain and simple, he wasn't their intended target but he couldn't really get out the way being strapped in a car seat and all.

AND . . .

Had the two dirty cops been White and the 6 year old boy with autism been Black there would be cities on fire and blood in the streets with a non-stop 24/7 mainstream media loop.

03-27-17, 07:59
Lived in Louisiana for four yrs. Followed this story even though live out west now. Based on my reading and conversations with friends living in Louisiana, the officer was correctly convicted.

The officers involved were POS's that were looking for an excuse to kill this guy. Lots of info. on the story that will shed light on the complete picture.

Officers should have been convicted of murder and sent to Angola.

TMS951
03-27-17, 15:30
A crappy situation all around. What really sucks is the ultimate responsibility of the boys death falls firmly on the father. The POS goes on a high speed chase with his 6 year old son in the car. Now a child dead, and the career and life of one, maybe two, LEOs ruined. Don't see any mention of the charges for the father. I'd hope no mercy given him for getting his kid killed.

The only killing I read about was done by the cops. You sound like quite the apologist for them. Do you not believe it is the duty of the officer to identify a threat and any collateral damage that may be caused. Is it okay with you for cops to open fire on a target they have not fully identified?

The boy died of a gun shot wound. The cops did the shooting. The cops shot the kid.

If the boy died of a car crash at the hands of the father driving. The father did stop, and it go this son killed. With the fathers hands raised the cops fired 18 shots into the car.

Both officers had previously had suits against them for use of force. Stafford has had 5 suits against him and two counts of aggravated rape brought against him that were dropped… but the father should fry right? The apologist attitude is gross.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-27-17, 16:01
These cops were bad, and deserved what they got, if not more. There, that's out of the way.

Now, what kind of POS dad goes on a high speed chase with his son in the back? I have a little boy, I wouldn't dream of it.

JC5188
03-27-17, 16:08
These cops were bad, and deserved what they got, if not more. There, that's out of the way.

Now, what kind of POS dad goes on a high speed chase with his son in the back? I have a little boy, I wouldn't dream of it.

I don't disagree with you in principle...but maybe he thought they were gonna try to kill him?

usmcvet
03-27-17, 16:21
This sounds like a real tragedy.

WillBrink
03-27-17, 16:51
The only killing I read about was done by the cops. You sound like quite the apologist for them.

And sound like someone who didn't read all my comments in this thread to keep it in context.

Do you not believe it is the duty of the officer to identify a threat and any collateral damage that may be caused. Is it okay with you for cops to open fire on a target they have not fully identified?

If the officer honestly believes the car is about to run over his partner? No he does not. Maybe LEOs here can comment on that one.

The boy died of a gun shot wound. The cops did the shooting. The cops shot the kid.

Then you apparently are similar to many these days who cant seem to connect the outcome of their actions to a very bad ending they put into motion. Don't take your kid on a high speed chase from the po po and you don't end up with guns pointed at you, and the possibility horrible mistakes get made where the law of unintended consequences applies. It's not rocket science, but many seems unable to connect their actions with the outcome which never would have happened had they not initiated the encounter.

If the boy died of a car crash at the hands of the father driving. The father did stop, and it go this son killed. With the fathers hands raised the cops fired 18 shots into the car.

And if the cops honestly don't know the kid is in the car, or see the driver well, and think the car is about to strike them and they shoot? That's 100% fault of the father. It's a horrible tragic outcome, but fault is with the father if those conditions are met. Now, as I stated before, others have said there appears to be far more to it, there may have been bad blood between them, and you have added more about the two LEOs below that does not make them look like they were on the up and up. To repeat, if that's the case, then I hope they throw the book at both officers. If however the event happened as the officers had claimed (and due to what others and you posted I have serious doubts it did) than yes, the father is ultimately at fault.

Both officers had previously had suits against them for use of force. Stafford has had 5 suits against him and two counts of aggravated rape brought against him that were dropped… but the father should fry right? The apologist attitude is gross.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, no apologies needed. The sad part is, they often win those prizes for their kid or other innocent person, and that sucks. If it was as some claim, the cops were no bueno, etc and had ill intent, then they deserve what they get. I found the actual vid. You can clearly see his hands and the vehicle is not moving, so it's hard to claim it was a good shoot from this, with caveat I was not there, but no, it does not look good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDe6SQqzHUI

Firefly
03-27-17, 17:07
This particular case was a totally bad shoot but.....

If someone is trying to run me down and I cannot get out of the way then lead shall be dispensed.

As with anything, due regard and "what did you know and when did you know it?" comes into full effect.

Pitting a bunch of scared teen girls is stupid. Shooting when you know there are kids in a car is stupid.

Tactics, tactics, tactics.

However If someone is shooting at me I am shooting at the flash and silhouette until the guns stop or if it is a hostage scenario I am creating distance a bit until I have a window.

If an officer is dead then he cannot do his job, can he?

A lot of this is fluid and it is a thinking man's game. Unfortunately people forget that.

This case stinks, but the paradigm is quite real and quite frequent.

26 Inf
03-27-17, 20:46
A lot of this is fluid and it is a thinking man's game. Unfortunately people forget that.

This is a good observation.