PDA

View Full Version : 70 Series Combat Commander

AllAmerican
09-24-08, 12:56
Hey guys,
I have this Colt and noticed that on the side shown, it is roll marked "Colt Combat Commander Model" Has anyone ever seen one marked with the word 'model' on it???? All the ones I have seen do not have that. I wrote the fellow on the 1911 sight, and have looked up a lot of serial number lists. The lists I have seen stop before they reach the number on this pistol. (I deleted the last 2 numbers).
Just curious if anyone else has any information about it???
As always I appreciate your time! I really have run out of places to look...

Thanks,
Jack

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/M4AllAmerican/CommRS.jpg

POF.Ops
09-24-08, 23:29
I had one that had "Model" on the slide. Like a moron I sold it.

Jason Burton
09-25-08, 00:15
As I recall, and I could be wrong here, that roll-mark was common if not standard fair for a gun of that vintage.

eng208
09-25-08, 05:32
It was nomenclature to differentiate between LW and steel frame Commanders. Initially, it was just Commander I believe, then they added the Combat to show that it was the other model. The only thing is I can't remember which is the "Combat", steel or alloy. Which is yours?

DocH
09-25-08, 07:05
The Combat Commanders are steel and were available in blue,like the one you have,or satin nickel. The original grips were smooth finish(no checkering) with the Colt medallion. Don't see too many of them around anymore.Good one to hold on to.

Littlelebowski
09-25-08, 07:13
My brother just picked one up for $475. Far as I know the Combat Commander is a limited run. He's very pleased with his.

bluedog
09-25-08, 11:00
I had one in the 70s. They did not seem as common as the Commander, but afaik were a standard catalog listing. Came with a solid bushing as opposed to the collet on the Gov't and Gold Cup models.

AllAmerican
09-25-08, 11:40
It was nomenclature to differentiate between LW and steel frame Commanders. Initially, it was just Commander I believe, then they added the Combat to show that it was the other model. The only thing is I can't remember which is the "Combat", steel or alloy. Which is yours?

Mine is all steel, I talked to Marco at Gemini, and he said they switched the rollmarks at different times to differentiate between the models....

old grunt
10-15-08, 18:57
Nice!! Old School Cool:cool: with the Colt Pachmayr Rubber Stocks!!! Hold on to that baby!!:D

gyp_c2
10-15-08, 19:24
combat = steel

AllAmerican
10-15-08, 19:41
I had one in the 70s. They did not seem as common as the Commander, but afaik were a standard catalog listing. Came with a solid bushing as opposed to the collet on the Gov't and Gold Cup models.

The circled area here is what I am talking about. I have since looked at a "lot" of these older commanders and have not seen the word (Model) on any of them...... This one was made in 1978. It shoots like a new one, but sights are hard to see.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/M4AllAmerican/top.jpg

Jason Burton
10-15-08, 20:54
The circled area here is what I am talking about. I have since looked at a "lot" of these older commanders and have not seen the word (Model) on any of them......

The word "Model" is common if not standard on a gun for that vintage. I looked through the photo catalogue I have gathered over the years and every Combat Commander has a the word "Model" after it as do many of the Lightweights that I have photographs of.

As I said before, I believe it's standard for your gun... or as standard as anything Colt has made can be. ;)

AllAmerican
10-15-08, 22:31
The word "Model" is common if not standard on a gun for that vintage. I looked through the photo catalogue I have gathered over the years and every Combat Commander has a the word "Model" after it as do many of the Lightweights that I have photographs of.

As I said before, I believe it's standard for your gun... or as standard as anything Colt has made can be. ;)

That is good news! Thanks for the information. I really like the pistol.

Jack