PDA

View Full Version : Survival/general purpose fixed-blade knives

Koshinn
03-27-17, 03:14
I know pretty much nothing about knives besides how to use them as a defensive tool against wood, vegetables, steak, and people.

What do you guys use for a fixed-blade knife when you're out in the woods or overseas? Carbon steel or stainless steel? What length? What brand? How important is a full tang? What type of material makes the best handle? Does the handle need to have a guard? Does it need a lanyard hole?

RobertTheTexan
03-27-17, 06:07
I think you'll find that knife preference is about as varied as favorite AR triggers. My outdoors/bush knife is an ESEE-6PB. ESEE being the brand, "6" being the length, and "PB" the designation for plain blade. They also have serrated blades, which I do own, but my primary knife will be un-serrated. My ESEE is made of 1095 HC and it's a solid of a knife as I have ever owned. Many of the criteria for my bush knife are the same as my fighting/tactical knife, like full tang. That's is a requirement for either knife. But they can be different because the tasks performed could call for a different criteria. Steel quality is also an important factor . Not only quality steel that you can perform those tasks with, but how well the steel will take and hold an edge, and also how easy it is to sharpen it.
My bush knives will typically be thicker than my fighting knife. I want the ability to baton, while having a fine enough edge to "feather" a stick. I want a good handle that will hold up to the elements both natural and man made. Some guys may want the base of the tang to have a shape that can be used to hammer, or have a compartment to store supplies in, but those have never been on my list. Usually knives like that are more about show than actual functionality. So my bush knives are pretty simple. No fancy serrations, (although some want serrations to cut wood or bone, I use a different tool for those tasks) no super fancy handle. I just want one that is durable and can handle the elements. I do want a thick spline because I will want to baton wood and chop a little.
I did quite a bit of research into good bush knives and decided on the ESEE 6. The knife is still sharp enough to shave with shave with and I've had it years and it gets used when I'm out in the field, showing the boys how tondo different things with it. The knife also has fantastic balance and comes with a kydex sheath that I can wear on a belt via a sturdy metal clip or I can attach it to a chest rig if I want.
Here's a link to one. Not saying this is the best price but mainly so you can check out the knife.
I have a write up on it somewhere by can't remember what website. I would buy this knife again, 100 times over. I do use a different knife on my chest rigs, which are a little smaller, more "fighting" style, but for bush/survival I wouldn't even consider owning another knife.
https://www.theknifeconnection.net/esee-knives-esee-6p-black-plain-edge-fixed-blade-w-grey-linen-micarta-handle-coyote-brown-sheath-clip-plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilot1
03-27-17, 06:07
How much do you want to spend? Handle material is a personal preference, but many like G10, Micarta, Kraton/Thermeron (rubber), or some type of composite.

I have, or have had knives from, Bark River, Fallkniven, ESEE, Becker Knife and Tool, Swamp Rat, Buck, Ontario, and they ALL work. I just ordered my first Cold Steel, a Master Hunter, which also gets good reviews, and won't break the bank at around $75 - $80. I have mostly carbon steel knives, but also some stainless fixed blades.

Look at the Bark River Bravo series
ESEE 4, 6 etc
Fallkniven F1, S1
Becker (BRKT) BK16
Cold Steel Master Hunter
Buck 102, 119, etc

And the others mentioned above. They vary WIDELY in price, so all depends on what you want to spend.

Straight Shooter
03-27-17, 07:07
MORA Knives are also excellent for outdoors...and very economicaly priced. Many many different models.

pinzgauer
03-27-17, 08:17
After years of carrying bigger blades outdoors, I now lean towards a 4" blade with full tang and no serrations.

I'm less focused on defense and more on surviving comfortably in the wild.

And a variant of the first rule of gunfighting applies... A usable knife you have on you trumps the big knife you did not bring. One reason I carry a Benchmade full sized gryptoillian folder.

ESEE 4, Grohman Canadian Boat/paratrooper knife, and a Helle Norwegian laminated blade are my go-to knives.

I'd get a Mora 4" and use it some. Once you know what length and blade shape you like then spend a bit more.

That said, one of the Mora's or a Cold Steel Canadian (grohman) copy are pretty handy and affordable.

If you want to cut straight to the chase, ESEE 4 is just over $100 with a couple of sheath options. You can spend much more and get prettier knives, but for a factory made knife it's hard to beat.

There is a certain amount of fashion in knives lately. Styles come and go. It's become a thing to spend $400-600 on blades. Kindof like the idea that 1911s require $2k worth of custom work to be useful.

purple_yota27565
03-27-17, 09:32
Mora and esee are hard to beat for the money. Mora is making a full tang model now that's pretty sweet.

Pilot1
03-27-17, 09:44
A Mora is a great choice. I forgot them, but they are a steal for their usefulness. A 4 inch Mora would be a good place to start. Either carbon or stainless.

soulezoo
03-27-17, 10:58
Mora is an excellent value choice. Inexpensive enough to almost make it a "throwaway" knife.

I will second Pilot's first post. I have a few of both ESEE and Falkniven. I have a soft for the latter and a s1 is my "go to" outdoor knife. The Falkniven is a knife you absolutely need to hold in your hand to appreciate.

VARIABLE9
03-27-17, 11:47
Just watch for the ESEE counterfeits. You can Google the issue and see the differences between real and fake.

Evel Baldgui
03-27-17, 12:25
Another vote for the Mora knives ! Exceeedingly well priced, and quite functional for most purposes, whether wandering the woods or the urban landscape.

Koshinn
03-27-17, 13:14
Mora and esee are hard to beat for the money. Mora is making a full tang model now that's pretty sweet.

I was actually looking at the Mora full tang, then I realized I know nothing about knives and made this thread :)

B Cart
03-27-17, 15:55
I have the ESEE 5 and love it. It's a fantastic bushcraft knife, and built like a tank, but it is also on the heavy side. I only say that because I sometimes leave it home due to it's size, and that may be a factor for you. I've never used Mora knives but will look into them

militarymoron
03-27-17, 16:30
When I was a teenager, I thought that the Rambo or 'First Blood' type survival knives were THE knives to have, 'cuz Rambo used them of course. After spending more time camping/hiking with friends, I found that they big fixed blades were just 'heavy'. I also found that I needed a small knife a lot more often than I needed a big knife.
So, after owning various knives (both fixed blade and folding), I've found that this is what fits most of my needs in the outdoors:
1. 4" to 5" blade, non serrated.
2. A decent steel - S30V or something equivalent
3. G10 scales or whatever is durable
4. A small guard is nice to have. I'm accident prone. I've used a lanyard hole with 550 cord as well. I tend to drop stuff the higher I am.

I found that fighting style knives don't generally work that well for general use, but a general use knife can probably be used for fighting. I wouldn't know; I'm not a fighter. But, I stick to pretty 'normal/practical' blade profiles (drop or clip point, no tantos etc) with a medium thickness blade. Too thick, and it's sometimes hard to cut with. I also found that it's very useful to have a multitool with me, like a leatherman wave. In summary, a 4" blade + multitool covers most of my outdoor needs.

JaegerOne
03-27-17, 16:38
https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Bushlore-Hardwood-Handle-Sheath/dp/B003D9ORT0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1490650581&sr=8-13&keywords=condor+knives
This is a very nice knife at a good price.

purple_yota27565
03-27-17, 17:09
As suggested above I would get a mora for a starting point and go from there. Just be careful or you will end up with a couple of ammo cans full of blades that you can't live without [emoji16]. Don't ask me how I know lol.

SeriousStudent
03-27-17, 18:35
Another Mora user here. Here's one with a ferrocerium rod in the handle for $20:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/light-my-fire-swedish-fireknife~p~6461n/?merch=prod-rec-prod6461N

I have a half-dozen of the bright orange ones scattered through my gear.

bsoileau24
03-27-17, 19:32
^^^^ Great deal just bought a couple thanks for posting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Koshinn
03-27-17, 20:11
Another Mora user here. Here's one with a ferrocerium rod in the handle for $20:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/light-my-fire-swedish-fireknife~p~6461n/?merch=prod-rec-prod6461N

If you had the choice, what color would you choose and why? Is bright orange your first choice?

1toughdog
03-27-17, 20:51
I would not overlook Randall Knives - 44662 been around more than just the block.

M1ashooter
03-28-17, 01:43
I'm old school. I use a WW2 USN Mk2 Kabar.

Straight Shooter
03-28-17, 06:49
Might I add this...for outdoor/landscaping/camping ect...don't ever doubt the value of a good machete. Good machetes are CHEAP and handier than a shirt pocket!

Jim D
03-28-17, 08:56
You should consider your terrain and what other tools you plan to take with you. For example, in New England winters I'd want an axe or saw with me as well, so I wouldn't want a large knife to baton as an axe/hatchet works better.

Generally speaking I'm happy with a 3.5-6" fixed blade with a good plain edge, thinner grind (flat or scandi ground not hollow, 1/8 or 3/16 thick spine), and comfortable handle. Single edge only, no false rear edge grind, spear point or drop point, no blade coatings (they grab when splitting wood).

For a nicer blade, I like the Tops Dragonfly. For a budget option, a Mora LMF or something like that works just fine. While most Mora's aren't full tang, you'll struggle to find anyone in real life whose ever broken one.

Most of the "fighting" knives on the market are designed by people who've never killed anyone with them, as evidenced by their sheath designs and blade geometry. The same tends to go with survival knives. The guys who actually do live outdoors with their knives tend to prefer pretty basic (not sexy) knives that aren't nearly as flashy or appealing to the masses looking for something cool.

Koshinn
04-01-17, 01:11
I was doing more research and found this youtube channel, which is very entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlcBpKbAvM

vitiaz
04-01-17, 02:47
Check out some of Fred Perrin's work at, https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=129

And if you are interested training see Michael Janich at, http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/

He teaches classes all over the place just check the MBC site for this schedule...he is an outstanding instructor.

...great quote from RAH btw.

-Later

SeriousStudent
04-01-17, 12:45
If you had the choice, what color would you choose and why? Is bright orange your first choice?

Yes, bright orange is my first choice on gear like that for several reasons.

It's highly visible. When you are dehydrated, have not eaten food for two days, and fuzzy-headed, you need stuff that does not get easily lost. Or if lost, is easily spotted. My days of wandering the landscape avoiding angry people are long past. Camo I honestly do not need.

It does not scream tactical. I have a GHB in my vehicle, as well as one locked up at work. If they are searched, they are going to look a lot more like emergency preparations than an active shooter gear stash. And yes, I have had that conversation with authorities.

SeriousStudent
04-01-17, 12:48
MORA Knives are also excellent for outdoors...and very economicaly priced. Many many different models.

Agreed. The Condor line from El Salvador is a very good buy for the money. They are NOT affiliated with the cheap Chinese ripoff company.

I have one of their 14" parangs, and it's excellent.

ST911
04-01-17, 17:40

Yes, bright orange is my first choice on gear like that for several reasons.

It's highly visible. When you are dehydrated, have not eaten food for two days, and fuzzy-headed, you need stuff that does not get easily lost. Or if lost, is easily spotted. My days of wandering the landscape avoiding angry people are long past. Camo I honestly do not need.

It does not scream tactical. I have a GHB in my vehicle, as well as one locked up at work. If they are searched, they are going to look a lot more like emergency preparations than an active shooter gear stash. And yes, I have had that conversation with authorities.

Amazon had Moras on steal about Christmas time. Another bright orange user stocking up here, too.

militarymoron
04-01-17, 19:10

I haven't heard the word 'parang' for years! At least not since I lived in south east asia.

Lost River
04-05-17, 19:50
I use Mora knives more than any other for a while now. I have dressed out multiple elk and mule deer, as well as doing basic stuff.

In fact I keep a couple in the kitchen, as they have such nice handling characteristics, and are extremely easy to sharpen.

Arik
04-05-17, 20:39
I was doing more research and found this youtube channel, which is very entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlcBpKbAvM
I see these knives at gun shows. There's a few different styles and they're not expensive. Between $15 - $35

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
04-05-17, 22:27
I haven't heard the word 'parang' for years! At least not since I lived in south east asia.

I was living in south east Asia when I was using it. I had a really nice golok as well.

Both were handmade from a truck leaf spring, heat treated and had the appropriate grinds. I loved the golok, it had polished water buffalo horn handles. The parang's handles were made from teak. That was nice, because they would not rot off the blade in the humidity.

BrigandTwoFour
04-15-17, 09:36
FWIW, I recently picked up a Becker BK-10 a while back as a general purpose knife, and I've been very satisfied with it. It was designed to compete for replacing the aircrew survival knife. It has a nice balance between robustness, size, cost, and blade design.

bushcraftdave
08-04-17, 02:47
I like ESEE knives with their NO BS WARRANTY. I have 4 knives from theM- ESEE 3, Eskabar, ESEE 6 and junglas. Tough as nails. Beckers are great too and a little cheaper

WillBrink
08-04-17, 08:37
I was living in south east Asia when I was using it. I had a really nice golok as well.

Both were handmade from a truck leaf spring, heat treated and had the appropriate grinds. I loved the golok, it had polished water buffalo horn handles. The parang's handles were made from teak. That was nice, because they would not rot off the blade in the humidity.

You didn't keep it?! I wanna see pics.

SeriousStudent
08-04-17, 16:30
You didn't keep it?! I wanna see pics.

No, I rotated back to CONUS, and gave them to friends. They could still use them, and I thought I would not need the blades when I finally got home.

Machetes aren't much use in a desert. :cool:

big 54r
08-16-17, 18:59
A 7" old hickory butcher knife modified to your blade style preference... Full tang and as good or better than a Mora.
Great starter knife... Only $13-$15!!!

JasonB1
08-17-17, 09:25
Mora...one of the few things you will ever buy where you really get the feeling you got a lot more than what you paid for. Just learn the easy way to sharpen a Scandigrind instead of free handing and learning later you have to redo it on a flat coarse stone like I did!

JasonB1
08-17-17, 09:32
Tramontina machetes from Brazil are very good and dirt cheap.

Got the 17.5" Condor Parang and it seems to work well as a machete, but don't really think it has the multi purpose capabilities I have read about parangs produced in their original countries having.

bushcraftdave
08-18-17, 06:03
I'd like to add MORAs. THey're awesome and cheap.

maximus83
08-28-17, 09:09
After years of carrying bigger blades outdoors, I now lean towards a 4" blade with full tang and no serrations.

This. Exactly.

Ideally, you want a 2-knife solution, right tool for the job and all that. A small-ish blade in the range of 3.5" to 4.5" that is your primary all purpose blade, light and tough enough for batoning, but small enough for slicing and detail work. You don't want this knife to be the "sharpened pry bar" survival type of knife. Stock on the blade typically between 0.14" and 0.17", with something like a full flat grind for slicing. This smaller type of blade, I prefer to be a modern stainless steel because if it involves food prep, it's much easier to maintain and to keep clean from corrosion which you wouldn't want around food. Then in addition to the smaller knife, get a much bigger knife in a carbon steel (you want the carbon steel for toughness and easy sharpening on the large blade), as big as you can stand to carry, in the range of 6" to 12" for the blade and preferably toward the upper end of that range. Why? Because the big knife can replace several tools and gives you more versatility. A great example is the ESEE Junglas 1 (10" blade) or Junglas 2 (8" blade). Both of these knives will actually let you do a ton of useful tasks. The Junglas 1 can be sort of a jack of all trades (and master of none admittedly--but it lets you replace carrying several tools): it'll let you clear brush like a machete, chop like a hatchet, baton, hammer, and can still be used for knife tasks too. As you learn to choke up on it, you can do amazing fine detail tasks even with that huge blade. Recently I practiced with mine prepping some food and then using it as a steak knife, mostly just to practice fine slicing with it. It's pretty surprising how well a large knife can work if it has a good edge and a good primary bevel.

If you can't do a 2-knife solution--"what one knife would you take" and all that--then I agree with the poster who said something like an ESEE 6. This is a total "compromise knife" (because not big enough to do serious chopping like a hatchet, and also not small enough to easily do fine detail work), but it's also a great general purpose knife that can do many things KIND of well, if you're set on only carrying one. I've never been in a situation that only required me to carry one knife though, so I like to have adequate tools to do everything I want to do when back packing.

maximus83
08-28-17, 09:16
I like ESEE knives with their NO BS WARRANTY. I have 4 knives from theM- ESEE 3, Eskabar, ESEE 6 and junglas. Tough as nails. Beckers are great too and a little cheaper

Good taste in quality tough carbon steel knives. Ok I'll confess, it's "good" because it agrees with my taste. :p But like my post above, pair up a great carbon steel chopper from one of these brands, with a quality smaller stainless blade for slicing and detail work, you've got everything you need. The smaller stainless blade could even be a quality folder with a strong lock mechanism like a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I know people who go that route and I've done it before too. However, I'm personally kind of down on folders lately for safety and reliability reasons, I've gone 100% fixed when backpacking, and now even for EDC, I'm getting a sheath made and am going to try going 100% fixed for that too. Especially when hiking and camping, I want to be able to use my small/detail knife for almost any kind of task, including splitting kindling, and while SOME folders are tough enough to take light batoning, they're not made for it, and it's a really bad idea and risky.

maximus83
08-28-17, 09:23
Agreed. The Condor line from El Salvador is a very good buy for the money. They are NOT affiliated with the cheap Chinese ripoff company.

Oh yes, love the big ole Condor choppers! I have a Condor Golok, 14" blade and about 1.75 pounds, that thing will easily out-chop small hatchets and axes, plus you can still use it as a regular machete to sweep limbs off of branches, clear brush, and I've even choked up on the rear part of my blade back near the handle and chopped vegetables with it. With a good convex grind on one of the big Condor choppers, you have an awesome tool. I used to carry mine strapped to my pack. The reason I don't carry it much anymore--mostly just use at home as a machete and wood chopper--is the overall length is 21". I've found that my ESEE Junglas 1, at 16" plus a bit more for the sheath, is "good enough" compared to the larger Golok, and MUCH easier to carry.

pinzgauer
08-28-17, 14:44
However, I'm personally kind of down on folders lately for safety and reliability reasons, I've gone 100% fixed when backpacking, and now even for EDC

I had started to think similar, but then got a Griptilian and never looked back. Never had an issue, and it physically cannot close accidently unless the scales break or similar, which will never happen unless I intentionally broke the knife by putting it in a vice and smashing it with a hammer.

I'm not a fan of the sharpened pry bar school of knife usage. I'd rather cut over to a Sven saw or a hand axe at that point. And prefer the over the acts for most things. Not as cool to carry and play with, but much more effective in the real world uses

Jonnyt16
09-02-17, 13:22
As a long-time knife user, I have found (at least for myself) that a knife with around a 6-inch blade is best for general "survival" and camping chores. Although I will admit, I have been progressively moving toward smaller 4-inch knives more and more lately.

My four go-to "survival" blades:

Fallkniven A1, ESEE-6, Swamprat RMD (prototype version), and a Blackheart Gunner-12 (pictured alone)

https://i.imgur.com/6rnKHoy.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/pBcGtDr.jpg?1

Jonnyt16
09-02-17, 13:31
As mentioned above, I am finding that I can get by with knives in the four inch range, especially if coupled with other implements such as a folding saw or a small axe. My absolute favorites that I own is a Boreal model by Diving Sparrow and a Mountaineer by Adventure Sworn Knives.

https://i.imgur.com/mFJ0bWL.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/m7XBNrw.jpg?1

aclawrence
12-13-17, 20:40
I started with a big ole Esee 6 which I have convexed the edge and it is a great knife and super sharp. My go to knife is a BHK canteen shop woodcrafter. It’s a standard bush craft blade. I like the scandi grind for wood working. I also really enjoying carrying it in the leather holster with the dangler. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171214/4c23dc978d9749840ae9beb12928a7a0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171214/c2b05dbbca843ea92d7299ce04a1b055.jpg

Dr. Bullseye
12-13-17, 21:30
What ever happened to the USMC KA-BAR?

RobertTheTexan
12-13-17, 22:24
I started with a big ole Esee 6 which I have convexed the edge and it is a great knife and super sharp. My go to knife is a BHK canteen shop woodcrafter. It’s a standard bush craft blade. I like the scandi grind for wood working. I also really enjoying carrying it in the leather holster with the dangler. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171214/4c23dc978d9749840ae9beb12928a7a0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171214/c2b05dbbca843ea92d7299ce04a1b055.jpg

I did the same with the ESEE 6P. Still use i and it still holds an amazingly sharp edge. I picked up and ESEE 4, that travels in my checked luggage when I travel I’d like to get a leather sheath similar to your black sheath for my ESEE 4. Nice blades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pinzgauer
12-14-17, 06:51
I did the same with the ESEE 6P. Still use i and it still holds an amazingly sharp edge. I picked up and ESEE 4, that travels in my checked luggage when I travel I’d like to get a leather sheath similar to your black sheath for my ESEE 4. Nice blades.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkHow are you guys finding the steel in the ESSE 4 and 5 range?

I've moved away from bigger knives to Helle and Grohmann knives in the 4-5" range.

I don't want to beat up my Helle with hard usage lately, so thinking about an ESSE replacement.

RobertTheTexan
12-15-17, 01:13
How are you guys finding the steel in the ESSE 4 and 5 range?

I've moved away from bigger knives to Helle and Grohmann knives in the 4-5" range.

I don't want to beat up my Helle with hard usage lately, so thinking about an ESSE replacement.

Well the ESEE 4 is sturdy like my 6 is. The steel seems to be the same quality although for some reason I have a hard time getting the same level of sharpness on my 4 as my 6. Could be operator headspace though.

lesptr
12-15-17, 06:03
As mentioned above, I am finding that I can get by with knives in the four inch range, especially if coupled with other implements such as a folding saw or a small axe. My absolute favorites that I own is a Boreal model by Diving Sparrow and a Mountaineer by Adventure Sworn Knives.

https://i.imgur.com/mFJ0bWL.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/m7XBNrw.jpg?1

I have several knives from Diving Sparrow. I never understood why his knives haven’t been more popular. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/acd74c9a41d641f72271e7b6e4e977fb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/32e8729306fbb1a4ab0eaf9524116ad8.jpg
Abe makes works of art intended for hard use.

tog
12-16-17, 08:59
I like the Ontario SP 10 Marine Raider for heavy duty use.

Jonnyt16
12-16-17, 09:17
I have several knives from Diving Sparrow. I never understood why his knives haven’t been more popular.
Abe makes works of art intended for hard use.
Yes he does. Phenomenal work.

His knives are actually quite popular and well-known in Canada.

Tortuga
01-03-18, 18:31
I've been issued, gifted or purchased scores of knives and find I gravitate towards 3-4" blades. Here's some that have in my EDC rotation:

That said, I have blades such as Tops Bob, Bark River Bravo 1.5, ESEE 6, or Spyderco Temperance 2 on my chest rigs/plate carriers.

I also love me a Mora blade. I keep one in every vehicle and at least 10 in various drawers around the house. It keeps the wife from using the kitchen knives or grabbing knives out of my kit to open boxes and such.

Tortuga
01-03-18, 18:42

This:

A beautiful and historic blade, but steel and design have surpassed it. Full tangs, thicker spines and drop points hold a lot of advantage when it comes to a field blade.

ScottsBad
01-10-18, 20:16

It's a good fighting knife, but not quite as good as a general utility knife. Will it work? Yes. Is it optimal? No.

ScottsBad
01-10-18, 23:22
OK, I'll quickly say that a larger blade, 7 inches with a 1/4 inch spine at a minimum, is better in a true survival situation where you need to cut and process wood and foliage to make a shelter and fire. In a bug out situation you wouldn't want to carry a heavy less flexible tool like an axe. A large knife that can chop and split wood (by batoning) while also being able to make a fir stick, sharpen a stick, or process meat would be very effective with the addition of a high quality folding saw (Silky saws). Folding saws are light weight and require less energy to process wood than an axe.

If you are camping or backpacking, a light weight small knife might be adequate, but for survival a big knife is the way to go IMHO.

I've switched to Busse and Busse kin knives for their quality steel and construction. They are excellent knives. Here are most of my Busse knives:

Basic 8

Bunker Buster (This pic is off the Busse site, mine looks exactly the same)

Swamp Rat Ratweiller, Swamp Rat Rodent 7, and Scrap Yard Knives Trash. These have seen more use than the others so far.

Swamp Rat INFI

I also have a Trash 2 which has a 9" blade and is 3/16" at the spine, and two more Busse knives on order. All of them get used, I don't own a safe queen.

JaegerOne
01-10-18, 23:46
Cold Steel Master Hunter & Condor Bushlore.
I've had both of these knives for years and they're both going strong. Lots of camping trips and skinning deer and bear on hunting trips. Both are reasonably priced, hold an edge well and sharpen easily.

Paladinius
01-18-18, 10:20
Esee 6 is the Goldilocks primary knife. You can spend much more, but you will not get much better.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

0uTkAsT
01-18-18, 11:26
I'm on the hunt for a new jack-of-all-trades fixed blade. Something with a good Kydex or injection molded sheath and a secure belt clip for EDC and hiking. I prefer knives roughly inside the 3.5-4.5" blade range... It'll bed used primarily for camping and monotonous everyday crap but also basic fieldcraft / light bushcrafting and dressing game a few times a year. Needs to be up to basic survival tasks if necessary. Size and overall utility is my main focus, weight isn't a huge concern but less mass on my belt is always a good thing. Doesn't have to be concealable. I've come up with the following short list and I know they're all drastically different but I'm looking for opinions to steer me in the right direction or open other suggestions entirely:
ESEE 3 Mil
Mora Bushcraft Black
Tops Lite Trekker

soulezoo
01-18-18, 11:34
The ESSE 3 is a solid choice. You cannot beat the Mora for the price. I would add Falkniven F1 or S1 to your list.

lesptr
01-18-18, 12:22
Anything by Diving Sparrow Knives. The saker is my most used knife.

Titan74
01-18-18, 14:43
How are you guys finding the steel in the ESSE 4 and 5 range?
It could be better, and the comfort could be better as well, IMHO. ESEE 4 is a nice blade, but the Survive! GSO-4.1 is very similar design that is offered in vastly superior steels, and it is much more comfortable to use too. I have the GSO-4.1 in CPM-3V steel and it probably is indestructible.

soulezoo
01-18-18, 14:50
While we all wring our hands over the steel, shape, grind and size of the blade, not enough discussion or thought about the handle or handle material occurs. For instance, micarta is great when dry. Get it cold and wet and it's like overcooked okra on Teflon. Know what I mean? Many synthetics get onerous below freezing. Let's not even talk about wood...
Something to consider for a survival type knife. If you can't properly hold the durn thing in adverse conditions, what good is the type of steel? Know what I am saying?

0uTkAsT
01-18-18, 15:55
The ESSE 3 is a solid choice. You cannot beat the Mora for the price. I would add Falkniven F1 or S1 to your list.
Thanks for the tips. They all have pros and cons...
The Mora would do what I need it to do just fine since I am not overly abusive on my kit and the price is certainly attractive, but the dangler-like sheath is a huge turn-off for daily use.
The ESEE 3 is overbuilt (not a bad thing) and I like the sheath much better (at least in photos) but I'm not a fan of choils.
The Lite Trekker is honestly at the top of my short list but I can't find many unbiased reviews or positive feedback on Tops in general which makes me a bit skeptical.

I'll look at the Falkniven F1 and S1 next.

dmd08
01-18-18, 15:57
It could be better, and the comfort could be better as well, IMHO. ESEE 4 is a nice blade, but the Survive! GSO-4.1 is very similar design that is offered in vastly superior steels, and it is much more comfortable to use too. I have the GSO-4.1 in CPM-3V steel and it probably is indestructible.

I've decided I really like plain old carbon steel so 1095 is fine with me. I'd love to try something in 3V and I really like the look of Survive! knives. It's too bad it's such a hassle to get one of them.

I have been an ESEE user since their Rat Cutlery days. I like them a lot. I've gotten over my love of the choil so I really like the look of their HM offerings lately. My favorite ESEE is the 3. I've found the 4 to be too thick for it's blade height. I like thinner edges. I've always wished they would make a 4 in the same blade thickness as the 3. The new PR4 is almost there I guess.

I also like some of the Beckers. The BK15 is my favorite although discontinued. I think the BK10 Crewman would be a more hand-filling survival-type knife. I'm don't like short, thick blades so the BK2 and ESEE 5 have never been up my alley.

I love the Spyderco Southfork but the trailing point (like the BK15) is probably not the best profile for a general purpose knife but would be a great hunting knife. The Spyderco Sprig would make a great all around blade if you don't need the toughness of a carbon steel.

I love micarta and I find it to be grippy when wet. G10 can be a little slippery.

I guess my list of the top of my head would be:

ESEE 3, 4 or 6 HM depending on length or thickness requirements.
ESEE PR4 (I don't have one personally but it's on my list)
Becker Crewman
Spyderco Sprig.

Lots of great options out there from a lot of makers though.

WillBrink
01-18-18, 16:43

Perhaps under the "you get what you pay for" it should be noted the GSO costs considerably more $, so a bit of an apples/oranges thing there.

NWPilgrim
01-18-18, 16:53
Search for "Mora kydex sheath". There is a guy that makes a very nice sheath for the Mora models at reasonable price. I think I paid $25-$30 for the one for my Mora Bushcraft. When I get to my computer later I will look up the link and post. About my favorite general purpose knife. I also like the Buck Pathfinder but the handle is more slippery with blood and guts.

ETA: The website I bought my sheath from is here: https://www.bensbackwoods.com/c2g-kydex-sheath-mora-bushcraft-black-ambidextrous/

0uTkAsT
01-19-18, 10:37
Search for "Mora kydex sheath". There is a guy that makes a very nice sheath for the Mora models at reasonable price. I think I paid $25-$30 for the one for my Mora Bushcraft. When I get to my computer later I will look up the link and post. About my favorite general purpose knife. I also like the Buck Pathfinder but the handle is more slippery with blood and guts.

ETA: The website I bought my sheath from is here: https://www.bensbackwoods.com/c2g-kydex-sheath-mora-bushcraft-black-ambidextrous/
That looks great, thanks for the link!

HKGuns
01-19-18, 11:16
Becker BK2 with Micarta scales.

Titan74
01-20-18, 14:03
Perhaps under the "you get what you pay for" it should be noted the GSO costs considerably more $, so a bit of an apples/oranges thing there.

True. The nice thing about blades is that there are great products for every price point. A basic Mora is good enough for most, and very inexpensive. However, if you are looking for most bang for the buck in hard use knifes, then have a look at the Finnish ranger knife: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-carbon-steel/56524.

WillBrink
01-20-18, 14:59
True. The nice thing about blades is that there are great products for every price point. A basic Mora is good enough for most, and very inexpensive. However, if you are looking for most bang for the buck in hard use knifes, then have a look at the Finnish ranger knife: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-carbon-steel/56524.

Looks like a good deal. Though I don't have one, looks damn near impossible to go wrong that Becker Bk2. I have an ESSE 4, which is what's in my BOB currently, and seems a decent value to quality etc. I also have what may be the standard in bomb proof knives, and for what it is (semi custom) not an outrageous price, a TCFM 02 from Crusader Forge:

http://www.crusaderforge.com/TACTICALCUSTOMFIXEDBLADESCF.htm

Current wait time, 2 years ;)

dobegrant
02-22-18, 08:01
ESEE 3 very handy and just enough blade for most tasks.

tog
02-22-18, 08:33
I've always been a fan of the Puma knives.

BG94591
04-10-18, 22:45
Trollsky Raider
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180411/e5ec5cb755bc6cd47cae01d434968fc4.jpg

LMT Shooter
04-10-18, 23:45
Trollsky Raider
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180411/e5ec5cb755bc6cd47cae01d434968fc4.jpg

OT a bit, but is that a German SIG with E2 grips?

RobertTheTexan
04-11-18, 03:41
I'm on the hunt for a new jack-of-all-trades fixed blade. Something with a good Kydex or injection molded sheath and a secure belt clip for EDC and hiking. I prefer knives roughly inside the 3.5-4.5" blade range... It'll bed used primarily for camping and monotonous everyday crap but also basic fieldcraft / light bushcrafting and dressing game a few times a year. Needs to be up to basic survival tasks if necessary. Size and overall utility is my main focus, weight isn't a huge concern but less mass on my belt is always a good thing. Doesn't have to be concealable. I've come up with the following short list and I know they're all drastically different but I'm looking for opinions to steer me in the right direction or open other suggestions entirely:
ESEE 3 Mil
Mora Bushcraft Black
Tops Lite Trekker

I think you’re on track I have two of the three knives on your shortlist and I believe you only need to spend $300-$400 bucks on a knife if you want to spend $300-400 on a knife. The ESEE will exceed your expectations and for the price - and for twice to 3 times the price, the Mora will exceed your expectations. I have two ESEE’s. A 6P bush knife, and a 3 which is my carry knife when I travel. I’m not crazy over Micarta handles. Tough as nails but you need some tape - hockey tape or I use some tape I picked up from optactical.
My larger ESEE has been ran through the wringer. It’s not a pretty knife to put on display. It’s been beat up, but the 1095 carbon steel is a FINE steel. If it works why change it up? If I haven’t broken my ESEE yet, or gotten the steel compromised to the point where it won’t take a shave-your-face edge - why would I drop $300 coin on anything else? Answer is, I wouldn’t.
Wrap up your ESEE handles and own one well made, hardcore knife, that I believe will take what you dish out.

RobertTheTexan
04-11-18, 04:02
Looks like a good deal. Though I don't have one, looks damn near impossible to go wrong that Becker Bk2. I have an ESSE 4, which is what's in my BOB currently, and seems a decent value to quality etc. I also have what may be the standard in bomb proof knives, and for what it is (semi custom) not an outrageous price, a TCFM 02 from Crusader Forge:

http://www.crusaderforge.com/TACTICALCUSTOMFIXEDBLADESCF.htm

Current wait time, 2 years ;)

Does “not an outrageous price” mean <= $800? I had a difficult time finding a Crusader for less than $800 bucks. For a potential every day use/Survival knife.... that’s a lot of peanuts. :) and I may have missed the models that are what I’d call not outrageously expensive. Then again, with a 2 year wait, I guess I’m not surprised.

BG94591
04-11-18, 08:29
OT a bit, but is that a German SIG with E2 grips?

Yep, and a Gray guns trigger. I just modified the gun how I wanted it to be, production date was 1994.

BG94591
04-11-18, 08:53
I’ve been on a bit of a knife kick lately and here are a couple more that I’ve got.

The one on the left is made by Kim Breed, former 5th SF group. I sent him some of my grandfathers (he passed away) old files and had him make 4 knives for me and gave them to my dad, brother and nephew. It has blue tiger maple handle

The one on the right, I won in a raffle from Tindall knives out of Idaho. It’s a Tindall knives Lost River Bushcrafter. The Tindall arrived shave sharp and has an Oak handle and made with O1 tool steel. Nice blade and you can see some of the torture tests he puts his blades through on his IG page.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180411/e569c5dcdbf084f01adce3883ec70680.jpg

WillBrink
04-11-18, 09:04
Does “not an outrageous price” mean <= $800? I had a difficult time finding a Crusader for less than $800 bucks. For a potential every day use/Survival knife.... that’s a lot of peanuts. :) and I may have missed the models that are what I’d call not outrageously expensive. Then again, with a 2 year wait, I guess I’m not surprised.

Fixed blade? Same knife I have TCFM 02 sold at $Price: $ 475.00:

http://www.crusaderforge.com/INSTOCKCF.htm

Considering wait times are in the 2-3 years range now, I can see private sellers jacking prices. Have not seen a fixed blade Crusader for anything close to $800 myself. But prices have gone way up since I got mine which has been for sale here for a while BTW...

daddyusmaximus
04-11-18, 10:54
I used an Army version of the Kabar for a long time. It's a good simple design that's been around for a long time. However, I found it's not tough enough to be beat on in a survival situation with it's tiny little tang going through the leather washer handle... SNAP!... Oddly enough a ZT 0100 (made to be a fighting knife) is a better survival knife, even though it has a recurve blade. The steel is MUCH stronger, and the blade is a thick full tang design. You can beat the shit out of the ZT 0100 and it doesn't care one bit. I think the belly of the blade helps in chopping tasks too. Sadly they are not in production anymore, and are hard to find these days. I had to get mine off ebay...

The knife in the youtube video, (the Morakniv Craftline Robust Trade Knife) is only $16.99 at Amazon, and is perfect for around camp stuff.

0uTkAsT
04-12-18, 15:06
I have been using the shit out of my Mora Bushcraft Black for the last several months and I have been extremely impressed with it's cutting ability, edge retention, sharpness, durability, comfort, and overall utility. I even like the sheath, which is something that I didn't expect. It's just truly a pleasure to use. An ugly, cheap looking bastard, but up to every task I've put before it, and it's not the sort of tool you'll be afraid to use and abuse because it's too nice to mess up. I will be buying another in the future just because they're so affordable and useful, why not have multiples?

SquarePizza
04-12-18, 21:19
I am a fan of the grohmann line up. My primary fixed blade knife is a grohmann #1. In the past I used an ontario rat 3 to skin/butcher game but it didn't hold the best edge and the coating built up a lot of fatty deposits.

Recently I picked up a Mora Elrdis, and that little sucker was SCARY sharp. Its not large enough to be a camping knife for me, that is still my grohmann, but its certainly good for small chores.

https://i.imgur.com/3bToFUm.jpg

Mjolnir
04-25-18, 19:09
I have several.

Spyderco Bushcraft & Proficient
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180425/a0363713911ad6eea43ac0f498663324.jpg

First Edge 5050
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180426/61599ceff2a2e766dcc6e5e93f919993.jpg

Bark River Bushcraft II which I cannot find my photo. Here is one I snagged offline.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180426/9c8c4efab55aa498e94d030a01998dfd.jpeg

And a Mora Garberg.

And a Benchmade Bushcafter.

hotrodder636
04-25-18, 22:03
I have several Moras in both stainless and carbon. They are cheap , useful and no tears are shed if I lose or break one.

I also have an Esee 3, and my wife and I both carry Izulas. Only issue I have is the coating near the edge can “clog” your sharpening equipment. I wish they had uncoated blades but the coating does make rust prevention easier.

My main hiking camping/bushcraft knife is a Fallkniven F1 3g steel version. Great steel, holds and edges, gets hair popping sharp. The handle maintains a gippable surface in both wet and cold/wet conditions. I would like to get one of their Pro series next but I am shopping for other things right now.

Adrenaline_6
05-02-18, 11:34
The Survive! GSO and SK series has a pretty good following. All different sizes for whatever your application or preference. He uses very good steel (CPM-3V or CPM-20CV). Many models in the GSO series are available in both - your preference. Lots of videos on durability testing out there too.

http://surviveknives.com/

ap1220
09-26-18, 14:09
Lots of good stuff in this thread.

I’ve been doing some research to scratch this bushcraft/camping knife itch. My head hurts from all the reading lol but I think I’m down to three: Becker bK2, Benchmade bushcrafter, and the ESEE 4. The only one I’ve gotten to actually handle was the Benchmade. I do plan to pair it with a camp ax and a folding saw, but I want it capable without. Haven’t seen much talk about the BK2 in this thread and Idont recall any on the Benchmade. Anyone with more experience with either of those two. Plenty on the ESEE 4 though.

Any thoughts to consider while I try narrowing this down?

***ETA***

Found a deal I just couldn’t pass up. Went with the Benchmade Bushcrafter for a couple of reasons: 1. It was on sale for $120. 2. I wanted to pair it with an axe so I didn’t feel thlike necessity to buy a bigger knife. The leather sheath it comes with isn’t very good, even though it looks nice. I made a DIY kydex press to play with making a better sheath for it. Also I want to add spots for a fire stick and sharpener.

Unfortunately, I’ll be deploying soon so I Probably won’t get to use it until after I return.

ViniVidivici
11-24-18, 23:45
I think the Glock knife is highly underrated. Got two, love 'em. I've built and made fire with them, made shelter, dug holes, pried things.....batoned alot of wood, gotten alot of use camping and hiking with them.

Hard to beat for the money.

atn729
11-03-19, 19:01
I really like a bark river bravo 1.5 in cpm3v. Alternatively I'd get a swamp rat knife in sr101.

WillBrink
11-04-19, 10:55
I have several Moras in both stainless and carbon. They are cheap , useful and no tears are shed if I lose or break one.

I also have an Esee 3, and my wife and I both carry Izulas. Only issue I have is the coating near the edge can “clog” your sharpening equipment. I wish they had uncoated blades but the coating does make rust prevention easier.

My main hiking camping/bushcraft knife is a Fallkniven F1 3g steel version. Great steel, holds and edges, gets hair popping sharp. The handle maintains a gippable surface in both wet and cold/wet conditions. I would like to get one of their Pro series next but I am shopping for other things right now.

Always wanted a Fallkniven but didn't like the full handle design. When they introduced the X series, I had to get one. Better sheath, full tang design, using their top end steel, I got two of them as I couldn't make up my mind. Will keep the larger one and sell the smaller.

FJCowboy
04-26-20, 18:13
For fixed blade, most recently the have been rocking the Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter and the Saddle Mountain Skinner. Fully admit, most of my fixed blade work is for hunting. I have the Saddle for big game and the Canyon for fishing and general backpacking.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200426/9ef36ec32845091ae3330da4bf398e1f.jpg

hotrodder636
04-27-20, 09:11
Nicely done Will!

Since my last post in the thread, I have acquired an A1 Pro. Then Fallkniven came out with the X-series. I will likely add the S1X and round out the family. I don’t know that you can get a better blade than these for the $$.

Always wanted a Fallkniven but didn't like the full handle design. When they introduced the X series, I had to get one. Better sheath, full tang design, using their top end steel, I got two of them as I couldn't make up my mind. Will keep the larger one and sell the smaller.

WillBrink
04-27-20, 11:48
Nicely done Will!

Since my last post in the thread, I have acquired an A1 Pro. Then Fallkniven came out with the X-series. I will likely add the S1X and round out the family. I don’t know that you can get a better blade than these for the $$.

They're not budget knives (the MSRP is lol worthy) for sure but can be had for a good price for a premium knife.

WillBrink
05-01-20, 10:12
Nicely done Will!

Follow up, here's a nice write up on Fallkniven and my pic above can be found there too:

"Laminated Cobalt Steel and Cowry-X that Hattori advocates, as well as his favored “Hamaguri-ba” (convex blade grind) in their product line. The end result is a knife brand which may very well be the best production knife available today."

http://hattoricollector.com/2015/09/29/fallkniven-of-boden-sweden/

r1013
05-03-20, 14:23
Its all personnel. For me it use to be an ESEE 4 or ESEE 3 and 6. Both with a Bahco Laplander Folding Saw and a Vaughan sub zero hatchet. I sold my ESEEs (1095) and now carry an LTRK Genesis (3V) or Next Gen (3V). Either with an LTWK Overland Machete (1075) and/or a Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw and/or a Vaughan sub zero hatchet and/or the Bahco Laplander Folding Saw. It depends if Im camping 1-3 days or hiking. 90% of the time its just day hiking with the LTWK Next Gen and the Bahco saw.

HKGuns
08-18-20, 08:39
Been on a Bark River kick lately.

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3840471052-5.jpg

My most recent addition is this BK9.

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3958735949-5.jpg

chuckman
09-03-20, 10:28
I like ESEE. They aren't sexy, but they are tougher than hell, and they will last forever.

I know a guy that sells a lot of 'survival/field' knives to SF candidates, he sells an equal number of ESEE and Bark River. I know squat about Bark River, but they have a good rep.

B Cart
09-03-20, 11:04
I like ESEE. They aren't sexy, but they are tougher than hell, and they will last forever.

I know a guy that sells a lot of 'survival/field' knives to SF candidates, he sells an equal number of ESEE and Bark River. I know squat about Bark River, but they have a good rep.

Absolutely. I have multiple ESEE knives, from the Izula II to the ESEE 5, and they are well made and built to last. ESEE is generally my go-to for fixed blades.

rdcwannabe
09-08-20, 06:12
No matter what i'm feeling at the time (lately it's been Spyderco Moran), I always have my dad's old KABAR with me. It's comfy and reminds me of him.

tellum
11-13-20, 17:26
I dont own any such knives, cause I want much more utility for survival. I use the Cold steel shovel, without a handle as a "big knife" and a highly modified Crunch multitool, with saw blades to be held in the visegrip of the tool. No knife can come even remotely close to what this combo can do. I can make any length or type of handle needed for the shovel in an hour, which lets it replace an axe, machete,etc.. It can be a paddle, a spear, an adze/hoe. The Crunch has a scoop/gouge blade, a couple of files, a chisel point, a regular carbon steel knife blade, a drill/awl. The very ends of the jaws are ground down to needlenose configuration, too.

WillieThom
11-15-20, 09:45
I dont own any such knives, cause I want much more utility for survival. I use the Cold steel shovel, without a handle as a "big knife" and a highly modified Crunch multitool, with saw blades to be held in the visegrip of the tool. No knife can come even remotely close to what this combo can do. I can make any length or type of handle needed for the shovel in an hour, which lets it replace an axe, machete,etc.. It can be a paddle, a spear, an adze/hoe. The Crunch has a scoop/gouge blade, a couple of files, a chisel point, a regular carbon steel knife blade, a drill/awl. The very ends of the jaws are ground down to needlenose configuration, too.

Damn, Angus!

RUTGERS95
11-15-20, 19:28
I have a ontario woodsman (damn ear indestructible) and a smaller 4" blade. Both have their purposes

tellum
11-15-20, 20:13
A knife is just a knife. It cant be a machete, prybar, file, visegrip, drill, shovel, paddle, or saw. It can't even make a wooden bowl without cutting you or leaving big gouges inside of the bowl which get full of rotting food particles. If you cut wire with it, dig with it or pry with it, you'll soon ruin it. If you make it big enough to handle such chores, it's not worth a damn for filleting fish, skinning critters or fine whittling.

Entryteam
02-03-21, 15:20
I use, camping, a becker bk2. It's a hoss. I have beaten it all to hell and it keeps on going.

my .02.

soulezoo
03-04-21, 18:23
I have a Gerber LMF Infantry II that has some nice features. It has a glass breaker on the handle, a rubber lined handle that is insulated from electrical charges, and a blade sharpener in the sheath. On the nylon for the sheath there are two straps that secure the knife to your leg or your thigh, and a set of MOLLE straps for securing the knife to a vest.
While I still have my issue Gerber, and it is useful and rugged, it was also a big heavy PIA to tote around.
Most of us left it in the foot locker and carried an esee 5 or 6 or equivalent.

MR_JOSHUA
05-11-21, 18:41
Becker BK9 combat Bowie, hundreds of online reviews and videos.
It can't be beat, it won't be beat:

https://i.imgur.com/RI2apc9.jpg

pinzgauer
05-12-21, 10:17
Becker BK9 combat Bowie, hundreds of online reviews and videos.
It can't be beat, it won't be beat:

Except by the esse3 or grip that did not get left at home because the leaf spring Becker bowie was too heavy

boosterboy
06-01-21, 02:24
I do believe that a knife should be used for slicing and stabbing, and chopping should be a last resort. If you have to baton a knife through a hard medium, like firewood, or prying a car-door, that task should be seen as an exception, and not the norm.

I keep stainless steel for kitchen knives that are exposed to acidic foods, or certain steels meant for salt-water exposure. I prefer carbon steel for field-work, since I quickly touch it up or strop it, especially given the unpredictable nature of what you may have to "cut" through.

about $50 , Jääkäripuukko , carbon steel, full tang, easy edge to field sharpen, molded handle torture your hands with strange hot spots.

at the $80 price range, the Mora Garberg Carbon is okay too.

Skrama , almost like a mini machete with a fine edge and a "axe" edge for chopping. I don't feel bad using a Skrama to chop and other tasks meant for an axe since it has plenty of material.

Of course, I love my Bark Rivers, and all the exotics steel if money is not an issue.

Arch
02-07-22, 14:12
Swamp Rat "Ratmandu" is my go-to "do all" 5" knife. Swamp Rat is made by Busse Combat at their Ohio facility, but doesn't carry the Busse Combat price tag. It uses SR101 steel (modified 92100 ball bearing steel) with the best heat treat in the industry. These knives are indestructible and hold a wicked edge.

Arch
02-07-22, 14:14
If you google "Swamp Rat Ratmandu" you may find ads for the "INFI" steel version. Save your money. INFI is great, but not worth the extra cost.

For the record, I have owned over 80 INFI knives. I currently have three, and would sell them if I could get my money back out of them. SR101 all the way.

WornOutGrunt
02-15-22, 05:41
ESSE 4 is my go to... I found Gerber to be a little brittle ( but that was awhile back I haven't owned one in a long time...maybe its changed)..

I am / have been curious about the avoidance of a partial serration on the blade..can anyone tell me why people shy away from that..... I'm not a subject matter expert so I'm trying to learn

WillBrink
02-15-22, 10:51
ESSE 4 is my go to... I found Gerber to be a little brittle ( but that was awhile back I haven't owned one in a long time...maybe its changed)..

I am / have been curious about the avoidance of a partial serration on the blade..can anyone tell me why people shy away from that..... I'm not a subject matter expert so I'm trying to learn

They tend to feel a sharp knife will accomplish what serrations will. Personally, I don't mind partial serrations on camp/survival/field knives personally.

jbjh
02-15-22, 23:18
They tend to feel a sharp knife will accomplish what serrations will. Personally, I don't mind partial serrations on camp/survival/field knives personally.

And serrations tend to be harder to sharpen quickly in the field.

jsbhike
02-16-22, 08:40

Not a serrations fan, but the triangular Lansky dog bones should make that easier and are pretty handy to toss in a pack for touching up other edges.

ST911
02-16-22, 09:02
The Harris Knife from Dauntless is an excellent field knife: https://www.dauntlessmfg.com/product-page/the-harris

WillBrink
02-16-22, 09:12

Good point, but they also need sharpening far less often in my experience, so perhaps it balances out.

pinzgauer
02-16-22, 09:31
I go back and forth on partial serrations.

They are a pain to sharpen, but in my experience stay sharp a very long time. And they will also still cut even if slightly dulled.

For things like rope and similar, dull serrations will beat a dull main blade.

As to all the folks who say you should just keep your main blade sharp, if you are ever in an emergency situation and do not have capability to sharpen, things can change.

I carry my gripptilian everyday, but do not carry sharpening tools. I do keep them in my emergency backpack in my vehicle though.