PDA

View Full Version : When do you call? Homeowners Insurance?

Averageman
03-27-17, 07:57
Last night we had a pretty bad hailstorm, mostly marble sized and then it really started coming down. Some stones looked to be the size of Quarter and yes, we have more predicted in two days.
I called USAA as the storm was ending, I may tell the inspector to come after the second anticipated storm. I'm not sure how much if any damage was done, but my cursory inspection shows nothing, not even loos roof gravel off of the shingles.
So when do you call?

BTW this is the potentially second roof in four years and yes it's a forty years roof. I may just see what a metal roof is going to cost me at this point.

THCDDM4
03-27-17, 08:32
It would be wise to have a competent and honest roofer (Very hard to find a roofer with both of those qualities) inspect it prior to filing a claim.

A zero paid out claim can affect your premiums over time, especially if You have a few of them.

As far as product type to install to not have to deal with hail damage and insurance- if you want to never deal with it again get a stone coated steel shingle- Decra. It's expensive as all hell, but you get what you pay for.

If you want to stick to asphalt, go with a Malarkey; terrible name/branding but the best asphalt shingle against hail.

You could also go the concrete tile or mold injected composite/plastic tile shingle route- though the latter hasn't been around long enough to know true life cycles and how it will do over time in the wild.

Hope this helps.

Hmac
03-27-17, 08:59
It would be wise to have a competent and honest roofer (Very hard to find a roofer with both of those qualities) inspect it prior to filing a claim.

I found that to be very true, as we shopped around for a roofer to replace our 30 year roof (right at about 30 years). We finally had to settle on honest and mostly competent. The roofing job was good, but despite their cursory magnetic sweep, we were left with a shitload of roofing nails in the yard. Additionally, their carelessness with their ladders scuffed the gutters, and their waste trailer left deep ruts in the yard. Roofing is definitely one of those caveat emptor things and requires a lot of investigation.

Honu
03-27-17, 23:28
had massive hail damage here in PHX a few years back dealing with insurance was more of a nightmare then the roofers !

got done not totally happy or impressed and they had to come back fix things and mis quoted and waited till the whole thing was done etc.

freaking business folks sadly anymore the rare ones are honest and so many are not !!!

Moose-Knuckle
03-28-17, 04:26
When do you call? Homeowners Insurance?

After a sky full of these bombarded my house last night . . .

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2861/33540793002_ff0d88bda3_k.jpg

Hasn't been quit a year yet since we had to have our roof re-shingled after straight lines winds came through.

Good experience with our roofer, found them after a Google search of reviews. I chose three to interview and they were the third and final company to come out and give me an inspection/quote.

Averageman
03-28-17, 08:51
After a sky full of these bombarded my house last night . . .

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2861/33540793002_ff0d88bda3_k.jpg

Hasn't been quit a year yet since we had to have our roof re-shingled after straight lines winds came through.

Good experience with our roofer, found them after a Google search of reviews. I chose three to interview and they were the third and final company to come out and give me an inspection/quote.

Look like the same storm, possibly more coming tonight/tomorrow, the inspector will be here Saturday.
I have the number of a roofer now, my neighbors and I are going to see if we can't cut a deal if we all go in together and use the same Contractor.
I'm seriously considering a metal roof though. The Roof on my Pavilion held up without a dent. Replacing a roof as often as you have to here in Central Texas gets expensive.

26 Inf
03-28-17, 10:26
Look like the same storm, possibly more coming tonight/tomorrow, the inspector will be here Saturday.
I have the number of a roofer now, my neighbors and I are going to see if we can't cut a deal if we all go in together and use the same Contractor.
I'm seriously considering a metal roof though. The Roof on my Pavilion held up without a dent. Replacing a roof as often as you have to here in Central Texas gets expensive.

I've put metal roofs on everything. We probably get hail about as often as anyone. They do good. I power wash them a couple times a year, I have a couple of patio awnings coming off the house and garage that don't have much pitch, they tend to show dirt and tree crap. That is about the biggest downside I've found. I put them on myself.