PDA

View Full Version : 2017 F1 changes for the better (<-- Formula 1 Auto Racing)

austinN4
03-27-17, 11:24
"2017 features one of the biggest regulation shake-ups since the introduction of hybrid turbo power units in 2014. This time bodywork and tyres are the centre of attention, with both getting wider in order to boost downforce and grip, making the cars both faster and physically harder to drive. In fact, a reduction in lap time of around 3 to 5 seconds is expected…"

https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/2017-season-changes.html

The season opener at Australia was interesting both with the changes to the cars but also with Ferrari winning. Good to see Vettel back on top, at least for now.

Rayrevolver
03-27-17, 12:12
Corner speed went way up. From the rear, the cars looked very old school with the wide rubber. I wish they went with less aero to help with passing but whatever.

Glad I went to all those races with V10 & V8 NA cars in the 2000s. My buddies still head to Austin, but I haven't been yet.

I didn't up my sports package so I watched it on Univision. Its a bummer (I don't understand Spanish) and I am sure I missed a lot of good discussion from the crew. :haha:

austinN4
03-27-17, 12:59
My buddies still head to Austin, but I haven't been yet.

Heck, I live here and still haven't been yet. The bad old days at Mosport and Watkins Glen spoiled me.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-27-17, 15:25
Complete Goooblygook

Power units

A rule change has been made to prevent drivers stockpiling spare power unit elements. During any single event, if a driver introduces more than one of a power unit element that is subject to a grid penalty, only the last element fitted may be used at subsequent events without further penalty.

A number of changes have also been introduced aimed at reducing power unit costs, guaranteeing supply for customer teams, and closing the performance gap between engines:

- the power unit price for customer teams has been reduced by €1m per season compared to 2016.

- to ensure the supply of power units to customer teams, the homologation procedure now includes an ‘obligation to supply’ that is activated in the event of a team facing an absence of supply.

- the previous ‘token’ system for in-season engine development has been removed.

- Additionally, constraints on power unit part weights, dimensions and materials, and on boost pressure, are being introduced in 2017 and in 2018.

Does this have anything to do with PokeMon Go?

wildcard600
03-27-17, 20:23
Interesting. Might have to catch a few races this year and see if it is actually interesting again.

The 3 litre era was the zenith of the sport in my opinion from an entertainment standpoint, but I also think the 750 or 1000cc twin era was the high point of superbike racing.

Maybe I'm just getting old ?

Alex V
03-27-17, 21:03
As a Tifoso my pants were really tight Sunday morning. It's a long season, 19 races to go. I'll keep my excitement in check. It got really dusty in the house watching Seb cross the finish line on the final lap. My cat, named Kimi and I were watching the race together.

It was good to see the human Kimi set the fastest lap.

I laughed my ass off the Max asked his race engineer as to what the fastest lap was, hoping to set a new benchmark before the end of the race only to hear his engineer come back with "too fast" lol

The drivers are saying it will be much harder to pass this year because the wake coming off the cars is worse than last year. China 2016 features something like 120 passes so it will be a good litmus test as to what passing will look like with the new aero formula.

FORZA FERRARI!!!!!!

austinN4
04-16-17, 11:42
Wow! What a race!

Alex V
04-16-17, 12:25
Dude!

I was on the edge of my seat about to poo my pants.

First Trump drops a MOAB on some goat f#%kers and now a second Ferrari win in three races. Awesome week!

austinN4
04-16-17, 16:32
First Trump drops a MOAB on some goat f#%kers and now a second Ferrari win in three races.

Life doesn't get much better!

austinN4
04-29-17, 09:38
All Ferrari front row in Sochi!
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/4/qualifying---ferrari-lock-out-the-front-row-in-russia.html

Lap times were 5 seconds faster than last year!

mnoe82
04-29-17, 10:25
It's been a crazy first few GPs. I'm a Hamilton guy personally but it's nice to see some competition at the front from the red cars.

Alex V
04-29-17, 10:44
FORZA FERRARI!

Wooooooot! I hope Merc eats a whole bag of dicks tomorrow!

mnoe82
05-01-17, 06:40
FORZA FERRARI!

Wooooooot! I hope Merc eats a whole bag of dicks tomorrow!

How'd that front row work out for ya? :cool:

austinN4
05-01-17, 08:22
How'd that front row work out for ya?

Not well at all for Hamilton.

TAZ
05-01-17, 08:37
Not well at all for Hamilton.

LOL!!!

I'm glad to see the red cars giving serious chase and actually making it fun to watch a race; aside from just the engineering drool.

As much as I wanted to see Ferrari/Vettel win I was happy to have some new blood on top of the podium.

Alex V
05-01-17, 09:12
How'd that front row work out for ya? :cool:

Dispoainted, but considering so far every lap in Sochi has been lead by a Merc, not bad. This bodes well, if SF can lock out the front row on a track where Merc has every win, ever, it looks good for tracks like Monaco. Hopefully Merc will continue to struggle on US tires, and when we get to tracks with more deg, their race pace will fall off even more so than in Bahrain and Australia.

Seb is still leading the championship by 13 points, but I want Ferrari to win the Constructors World Championship. So far, adrift by 1 point. Kimi needs to up his game.

Any day where Hampster isn't on the podium is a good day, especially when that douche finished 36 seconds behind his team mate, 25 seconds behind the second Ferrari and no mechanical problems are to blame.

austinN4
05-01-17, 13:27
I feel bad for Alonso. The Mclaren-Honda really sucks. Even Force India put 2 cars in the points at Sochi.

Alex V
05-01-17, 13:39
I feel bad for Alonso. The Mclaren-Honda really sucks. Even Force India put 2 cars in the points at Sochi.

I don't. Alonso is a great driver but as a person he is a douche. He deserves everything he got.

mnoe82
05-01-17, 15:45
I don't. Alonso is a great driver but as a person he is a douche. He deserves everything he got.
Fully agreed. Alonso is the biggest baby on the grid IMO.

I agree also that having the red cars at the front makes it more exciting. F1 is at its best when Ferrari are fighting for a title both as constructors and drivers. I am happy to see the resurgence, and its definitely a change of pace from Maranello from their past 8 years. I want as close of a fight as possible.

My first GP was Indianapolis 2007 and I've been a Hamilton guy ever since. He definitely is polarizing, but that's kinda why I like him. To me, it doesn't get any better than the 2008 championship. It will (likely) never get any better than that. 2 long time rivals battling back and forth all season and Hamilton winning the title by making a pass on the last turn on the last lap of the last race of the year. If I didn't see it for myself I wouldn't have thought it was possible. I hope for another season like that every year. I hope we get one like it this year.

Alex V
05-01-17, 15:54
Fully agreed. Alonso is the biggest baby on the grid IMO.

I agree also that having the red cars at the front makes it more exciting. F1 is at its best when Ferrari are fighting for a title both as constructors and drivers. I am happy to see the resurgence, and its definitely a change of pace from Maranello from their past 8 years. I want as close of a fight as possible.

My first GP was Indianapolis 2007 and I've been a Hamilton guy ever since. He definitely is polarizing, but that's kinda why I like him. To me, it doesn't get any better than the 2008 championship. It will (likely) never get any better than that. 2 long time rivals battling back and forth all season and Hamilton winning the title by making a pass on the last turn on the last lap of the last race of the year. If I didn't see it for myself I wouldn't have thought it was possible. I hope for another season like that every year. I hope we get one like it this year.

Yeah no. Hamilton didn't make a pass, Timo Glock went off line and let Lewis pass. Having said that, had Ferrari not screwed up the pit stop in Singapore, that pass would not have mattered.

As a Tifoso, I don't want to see a close fight lol. I want the two red cars 30 second in front at every race like Merc was in 2016.

I was at Indy in 2007 as well, sitting in the main grandstand at Turn 1. Was there in 05 and 06 as well. During practice we sat on the hill at turn 8-9-10. Took this pic of my favorite F1 driver ever in my favorite F1 car/team.
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/2007%20USGP/Kimi_2007_zpsdoqhdbh9.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/2007%20USGP/Kimi_2007_zpsdoqhdbh9.jpg.html)

mnoe82
05-01-17, 20:33
Yeah no. Hamilton didn't make a pass, Timo Glock went off line and let Lewis pass. ]

🙄 Watch the onboards with telemetry from Glock. You're simply wrong. Wheel spin with slicks for Glock the entire lap.

Rayrevolver
05-01-17, 21:19
Great race!

I went to Indy 01-04, 06-07. Can't remember why I missed 2005 but that was a shit show anyhow.

Don't forget Indy 07 was Vettels first race and first points. Kinda cool to have seen that.

Glad Jenson is back for Monaco. Go JB22!!!

Alex V
05-01-17, 21:21
�� Watch the onboards with telemetry from Glock. You're simply wrong. Wheel spin with slicks for Glock the entire lap.

Agree to disagree sir. Glock could have kept his line. Those guys know how to run a car on slicks in slippery conditions. Hamilton still could have out draged him up the hill. Glock just made it easy.

Rayrevolver
05-02-17, 07:11
Agree to disagree sir. Glock could have kept his line. Those guys know how to run a car on slicks in slippery conditions. Hamilton still could have out draged him up the hill. Glock just made it easy.

Bitter, party of one. Lol man, that was almost 10 years ago.

Can you share that photo of MS with me, fullsize? My user name at yahoo is my email. Great shot. Reminds of a Sutton photo that was similar of MS from the 2000s.

Alex V
05-02-17, 07:52
Bitter, party of one. Lol man, that was almost 10 years ago.

Can you share that photo of MS with me, fullsize? My user name at yahoo is my email. Great shot. Reminds of a Sutton photo that was similar of MS from the 2000s.

Yeah I'm bitter lol. I hate McLaren and Hamilton.

Anyway, that was Kimi in the photo I shared. MS retired at the end of 2006 and that was the 2007 US GP. I have pics of MS I will send you when I get home from work later today.

This is the same location in Indy in 2006
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/2006%20USGP/Micheal_2006_zpsg0h1dg1f.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/2006%20USGP/Micheal_2006_zpsg0h1dg1f.jpg.html)

I think I also have a good shot of him from the 2012 GP in Austin. We were sitting at the exit of Turn 11. I don't have that one uploaded to Photobucket.

austinN4
05-02-17, 08:20
Wow! I didn't realize there was that much elevation change at Indy! (LOL)

Alex V
05-02-17, 08:34
Wow! I didn't realize there was that much elevation change at Indy! (LOL)

No one ever said the camera has to be level lol. I like that look for some reason :-p

I used to take pics for the local Corvette Challenge (Drag Racing) and the guys would complain that I took pics of their cars at a diagonal sometimes. I'm like "don't be a jerk, you're getting full size pics of your car for free". And then Raceway Park banned me cause their photographers, who charged $40 for a 8x10, got pissed at me. The pinnacle of my photography career was getting my photos published in a magazine (Corvette or Super Chevy - Can't remember) with an article about the Corvette Challenge series.

Rayrevolver
05-02-17, 09:43
Send em both pretty please! I have a buddy who is a Kimi fan, assumed you were an MS guy and the helmet looked red! Looking at the picture more closely and notice the different color of the car, or was the an artifact of your camera/post process/lighting?

I was more into bikes as a kid, had a Rothmans Honda poster (Gardiner). Then a big new Honda service center opened up near the house with a 1988 Senna car in the lobby with an engine on display. I started following F1 a little bit in the 90s but really started paying attention in 2000 when I got Directv.

Not a Lewis fan. First hat I ever bought was Trulli Jordan Honda at Indy 01 and kinda hated McLaren in the 2000s. I am a man without a team now that JB left. Maybe time to get a Ricciardo lid and pull for Red Bull. Would be easier to be a Tifosi but I can't man!

Alex V
05-02-17, 10:13
Send em both pretty please! I have a buddy who is a Kimi fan, assumed you were an MS guy and the helmet looked red! Looking at the picture more closely and notice the different color of the car, or was the an artifact of your camera/post process/lighting?

I was more into bikes as a kid, had a Rothmans Honda poster (Gardiner). Then a big new Honda service center opened up near the house with a 1988 Senna car in the lobby with an engine on display. I started following F1 a little bit in the 90s but really started paying attention in 2000 when I got Directv.

Not a Lewis fan. First hat I ever bought was Trulli Jordan Honda at Indy 01 and kinda hated McLaren in the 2000s. I am a man without a team now that JB left. Maybe time to get a Ricciardo lid and pull for Red Bull. Would be easier to be a Tifosi but I can't man!

It's going to be great to see JB in the car again in Monaco. I kinda feel like he got shafted like MS did in 2007. The team wants to bring in someone else and the old guy gets forced into retirement. JB is a true gentlemen racer, always like that about him. Seeing him make Rubens a bitch yet again in 2009 was hilarious. I still remember his first win in Hungry 2006 after MS dropped out with suspension damage. He had crazy eyes, it was awesome. His drive in Canada in 2011 was interesting. Crashing out his team mate, penalty, crashing out Alonso, puncture and a pass on the last lap for the lead.

Im a huge Kimi fan. I love the dude. He is my kind of guy. I cried like a little girl at the end of the Brazlian Grand Prix in 2007.

Above all else tho, I am a Ferrari fan. Being a Tifoso hasn't been easy since 2008.

I will e-mail you the jpeg files when I get home.

austinN4
05-02-17, 11:00
Im a huge Kimi fan. I love the dude. He is my kind of guy. I cried like a little girl at the end of the Brazlian Grand Prix in 2007.

How about Massa's loss to Hamilton in literally the last few seconds of Brazil 2008? I really wanted Massa to win.

Alex V
05-02-17, 12:18
How about Massa's loss to Hamilton in literally the last few seconds of Brazil 2008? I really wanted Massa to win.

That's what mnoe82 and I are arguing about lol

austinN4
05-02-17, 13:53
That's what mnoe82 and I are arguing about lol

Didn't see 2008 mentioned.

mnoe82
05-02-17, 19:29
I'm glad I've got someone to mix it up with now Alex V. Hard to find many F1 fans here in TN.

mnoe82
05-02-17, 19:33
Also interested in opinions regarding the upcoming Halo, or from what I'm reading, Red Bull's screen (which seems to have more backing).

I think visually the screen is more appealing by far.

I get the need for an advance in safety, but do you think it takes away from the essence of F1?

Alex V
05-02-17, 20:28
Also interested in opinions regarding the upcoming Halo, or from what I'm reading, Red Bull's screen (which seems to have more backing).

I think visually the screen is more appealing by far.

I get the need for an advance in safety, but do you think it takes away from the essence of F1?

I understand the need for safety following what happened to Jules Bianchi in Japan. I get it, but this is auto racing. It will never be 100% safe. If you want to make it totally safe out the drivers in a simulator. The halo Ferrari tested was just ugly as F. The RBR shield isn't bad but still ugly. Sure it may help prevent what happened to Jules from happe in again but it will cause other problems. In a crash where the car comes to rest upside down it will be resting on the roll hoop and front bulkhead. The triangular area created by that is the space the driver needs to crawl out of he is able. The shield or halo would prevent easy egress. It solves one issue but creates another.

Plus, it makes the cars look too much like LMP1 cars.

mnoe82
07-04-17, 09:06
Any thoughts on Vettel's actions in Baku Alex?

austinN4
07-04-17, 09:54
Any thoughts on Vettel's actions in Baku.........?
Not Alex, but I thought it was stupid. It should be interesting in Austria this coming Sat & Sun.

Alex V
07-04-17, 10:32

It was silly. It cost him the win if you think about it. Hamilton would have had to come in with his bolster coming loose. Seb would have inherited first. Having said that, I get the passion. I've done similar things when karting. You get mad, you take actions that aren't always the smartest.

The good thing is that I really think this got in Hamilton's head. He may be prone to making mistakes now out of anger. Plus, at the end of the day, Seb got more points than Hamilton. So good result.

austinN4
07-04-17, 10:48
It cost him the win if you think about it.
True, but more than that. He got nailed with more points on his superlicense:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/06/sebastian-vettel-on-disciplinary-tightrope-after-f1-stewards-hit-him-for-potentially-dangerous-driving/

"Already it is complicated by the possibility of engine penalties later this season, but the four times world champion now has 9 penalty points on his FIA superlicence in a 12 month period, after stewards in Baku hit him with three points and a 10 sec stop/go penalty for deliberately bumping wheels with title rival Lewis Hamilton behind the Safety Car.

"Another three points would take him to 12 and, as with road car licences, that means a ban, in this case for one race. The first of the points on his licence will drop off around the time of the British Grand Prix next month."

Rayrevolver
07-04-17, 10:49
I suppose I am more of a Seb fan than Lewis, but Seb should have received the black flag. Great race though, and the fact that they both had unplanned stops made it a great show.

I am glad that Ric won, he is the guy I am pulling for.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2017-06-25-at-16.51.56.png

Alex V
07-04-17, 11:00
True, but more than that. He got nailed with more points on his superlicense:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/06/sebastian-vettel-on-disciplinary-tightrope-after-f1-stewards-hit-him-for-potentially-dangerous-driving/

"Already it is complicated by the possibility of engine penalties later this season, but the four times world champion now has 9 penalty points on his FIA superlicence in a 12 month period, after stewards in Baku hit him with three points and a 10 sec stop/go penalty for deliberately bumping wheels with title rival Lewis Hamilton behind the Safety Car.

"Another three points would take him to 12 and, as with road car licences, that means a ban, in this case for one race. The first of the points on his licence will drop off around the time of the British Grand Prix next month."

Last year's points will start to drop off cause they only last a year. Just like the article you quotes says. I'm not to worried. I'm hoping, as I said, he got in Hamilton's head. Hamilton isn't the strongest driver, mentally. He makes a ton of mistakes. For shit's sake, he drove into the back of a stationary Kimi Raikkonen at the end of a closed pit lane in Canada. Yes it was 9 years ago but people don't change much look how frazzled he would get over Nico. He was asking for help from Bottas to back Seb up in Baku. Fingers crossed Hamilton does something desperate and DNFs.

Alex V
07-04-17, 11:03
I suppose I am more of a Seb fan than Lewis, but Seb should have received the black flag. Great race though, and the fact that they both had unplanned stops made it a great show.

I am glad that Ric won, he is the guy I am pulling for.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2017-06-25-at-16.51.56.png

Look at the shit Senna pulled with Prost in 89. He didn't get ablaze flag. He was DQed later but only because he used an escape road. Meanwhile, everyone kisses his ass. Seb just gave the Senna lover a little Senna treatment. I'm totally cool with it.

mnoe82
07-04-17, 11:08
Do you think the 10 second stop and go was the correct punishment?

Alex V
07-04-17, 11:56
Do you think the 10 second stop and go was the correct punishment?

I'm going to be biased because I am a Ferrari fan and as such it is very difficult for me to disconnect in order to give a fair answer. The only thing I can say is; if Vettel got a 10 second stop and go for his reaction, Hamilton should have gotten a penalty of some sort for his action.

Telemetry showed that he accelerated mildly after the apex of T15 then abruptly went to zero throttle. On the previous lap he did not do this. An F1 car slows down more when you go to 0% throttle that a sports car does on the brakes. He essentially brake checked Seb. His actions caused the initial collision. Had Seb not retaliated, I doubt Hamilton would have ever been penalized. If Seb gets a penalty, Lewis should have as well. In addition, the stewards onlh announced the penalty after Lewis had to pit for his head bolster. Would they have let it go is Hamilton was in the lead? Did they try to get Hamilton to go back in front of Seb? I don't know but penalizing only one of them doesn't sit well with me.

Talon167
07-04-17, 12:43
I'm going to be biased because I am a Ferrari fan and as such it is very difficult for me to disconnect in order to give a fair answer. The only thing I can say is; if Vettel got a 10 second stop and go for his reaction, Hamilton should have gotten a penalty of some sort for his action.

Telemetry showed that he accelerated mildly after the apex of T15 then abruptly went to zero throttle. On the previous lap he did not do this. An F1 car slows down more when you go to 0% throttle that a sports car does on the brakes. He essentially brake checked Seb. His actions caused the initial collision. Had Seb not retaliated, I doubt Hamilton would have ever been penalized. If Seb gets a penalty, Lewis should have as well. In addition, the stewards onlh announced the penalty after Lewis had to pit for his head bolster. Would they have let it go is Hamilton was in the lead? Did they try to get Hamilton to go back in front of Seb? I don't know but penalizing only one of them doesn't sit well with me.

I agree. See the video below. Did Lewis brake? Well, you be the judge on the timing.

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/879795333143908353?autoplay=1

But, what's a little more clear is during the previous SC, Seb was further back from Ham and Ham jumped the gun (although not really because it's up to the leader to determine when it's go-time, but bear with me) for race pace again. Seb was a little slow to react and it almost cost him a place to Perez. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me." Next time the SC was out Seb was following a little more closely, Ham knew it, and purposely did NOT accelerate through the same turn he did previously. THat, combined with Seb being closer, caused the accident. Lewis knows what he's doing (usually... not like when he rear ended Kimi in the pits and also drove into the McLaren pit box after joining Merc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79D0axLDw30

ETA - Not sure how I lost track of this thread... love F1, watch every quali/race.

austinN4
07-04-17, 13:04
He essentially brake checked Seb. His actions caused the initial collision. Had Seb not retaliated, I doubt Hamilton would have ever been penalized. If Seb gets a penalty, Lewis should have as well.
I don't disagree, but the wheel bang was just throwing a tantrum. And, who knows, maybe without the wheel bang, Ham gets the penelty and Seb gets none?

yoni
07-04-17, 13:31
But Seb's little love tap, cost him the race.

I bet when Team Ferrari got back home, Seb got a stern talking to.

Alex V
07-04-17, 13:41
I don't disagree, but the wheel bang was just throwing a tantrum. And, who knows, maybe without the wheel bang, Ham gets the penelty and Seb gets none?

Tantrum, maybe. I prefer to think it was a "don't eff with me buddy!"

I don't think Ham would have gotten a penalty either way. Maybe post race he would have gotten a couple penalty points or a fine but it wouldn't have gost him his finish.

But Seb's little love tap, cost him the race.

I bet when Team Ferrari got back home, Seb got a stern talking to.

Agreed. As I said, if not for the penalty Seb would have won. At the time however no one could have predicted that Hamilton's head bolster would have come loose. Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say.

I am sure Seb got read the riot act. At Monday's hearing with the FIA Seb accepted responsibility, agreed to speak for F3 and F4 drivers about safety and apologized. He got a spanking back in Maranello for sure.

austinN4
07-04-17, 15:08
I am sure Seb got read the riot act. At Monday's hearing with the FIA Seb accepted responsibility, agreed to speak for F3 and F4 drivers about safety and apologized. He got a spanking back in Maranello for sure.
As he should have. I'd like for him to win the drivers and Ferrari win constructors, but he deserved all of the above.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-04-17, 17:15

Are you guys seriously talking about F1 on the 4th of July?

mnoe82
07-04-17, 17:47
I think he deserved a black flag. Even if he somehow knew that Hamilton intentionally brake checked him, intentionally ramming the race leader, his closest championship contender, under safety car, is unprecedented and should not have been so lightly punished.

I know that may be unpopular with the Tifosi but it was unquestionably reckless and unprofessional especially from the championship leader and 4 time champion.

Alex V
07-04-17, 19:38
I think he deserved a black flag. Even if he somehow knew that Hamilton intentionally brake checked him, intentionally ramming the race leader, his closest championship contender, under safety car, is unprecedented and should not have been so lightly punished.

I know that may be unpopular with the Tifosi but it was unquestionably reckless and unprofessional especially from the championship leader and 4 time champion.

Again... Senna.

mnoe82
07-04-17, 19:46
Just because a precedent has been set doesn't make it right.

Alex V
07-05-17, 10:01
Just because a precedent has been set doesn't make it right.

I dunno, I really don't have too much of a problem with what Seb did. It wasn't at full speed. It wasn't Schumacher vs Barrichello @ Hungary 2010.

austinN4
07-05-17, 11:42
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/7/vettel-baku-incident-closed-after-apology--fia.html

"In a statement to fans on his website, Vettel said: "During the re-start lap, I got surprised by Lewis and ran into the back of his car. With hindsight, I don't believe he had any bad intentions. In the heat of the action I then overreacted, and therefore I want to apologise to Lewis directly, as well as to all the people who were watching the race. I realize that I was not setting a good example."

"I had no intention at anytime to put Lewis in danger, but I understand that I caused a dangerous situation. Therefore, I would like to apologise to the FIA. I accept and respect the decisions that were taken at today’s meeting in Paris, as well as the penalty imposed by the Stewards in Baku. I love this sport and I am determined to represent it in a way that can be an example for future generations."

Mjolnir
07-06-17, 20:29
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/7/vettel-baku-incident-closed-after-apology--fia.html

"In a statement to fans on his website, Vettel said: "During the re-start lap, I got surprised by Lewis and ran into the back of his car. With hindsight, I don't believe he had any bad intentions. In the heat of the action I then overreacted, and therefore I want to apologise to Lewis directly, as well as to all the people who were watching the race. I realize that I was not setting a good example."

"I had no intention at anytime to put Lewis in danger, but I understand that I caused a dangerous situation. Therefore, I would like to apologise to the FIA. I accept and respect the decisions that were taken at today’s meeting in Paris, as well as the penalty imposed by the Stewards in Baku. I love this sport and I am determined to represent it in a way that can be an example for future generations."

Seb is a right clown. Hope he gets roughed up for the remainder of the season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex V
07-06-17, 21:43
Seb is a right clown. Hope he gets roughed up for the remainder of the season...

Them fighting words... ;-)

Talon167
07-07-17, 17:57

Was he reading that off some scratch paper from Ferrari's PR rep?

Mjolnir
07-08-17, 13:09
Was he reading that off some scratch paper from Ferrari's PR rep?

Yep...

mnoe82
07-13-17, 13:54
First official images of the new "shield" came out. I like the looks of it. I know most won't

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/07/13/shield-revealed-first-picture-f1s-new-head-protection-device/

Alex V
07-13-17, 18:08
First official images of the new "shield" came out. I like the looks of it. I know most won't

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/07/13/shield-revealed-first-picture-f1s-new-head-protection-device/

I'm on the "most won't" group.

Not a fan in the least.

austinN4
07-13-17, 19:15
Is that Shield a 9 or a 40?

austinN4
07-29-17, 17:17
The all red front row from tomorrow should please Alex. I know it pleases me.

Alex V
07-29-17, 21:16
The all red front row from tomorrow should please Alex. I know it pleases me.

It makes me happy in pants. :-)

We shall see what happens tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.

Talon167
07-30-17, 09:46
I love how RBR just always swept Maxi pads first lap antics under the rug until it bites them in the ass! Can't wait to see where that ends up going. Gotta feel for RIC, he was really biting his tongue there during the interview with Will.

Ferrari almost ****ing blew it. Kimi was one radio call from getting his first win with Ferrari since 08. Would've liked to see that happen, but he's forced to play bride's maid once again. Good day for Ferrari, however.

Say what you will about Hamilton, that wsa a respectful move to give that place back to Bottas there at the very end... especially since Bottas was five seconds back & had Maxi so close. I am surprised he didn't just give BOT an IOU after the race.

austinN4
07-30-17, 10:10
I love how RBR just always swept Maxi pads first lap antics under the rug until it bites them in the ass! Can't wait to see where that ends up going. Gotta feel for RIC, he was really biting his tongue there during the interview with Will.

Ferrari almost ****ing blew it. Kimi was one radio call from getting his first win with Ferrari since 08. Would've liked to see that happen, but he's forced to play bride's maid once again. Good day for Ferrari, however.

Say what you will about Hamilton, that wsa a respectful move to give that place back to Bottas there at the very end... especially since Bottas was five seconds back & had Maxi so close. I am surprised he didn't just give BOT an IOU after the race.

Agree with all 3 points. Kudos to Alonso and McLaren also.

It is hard for me to imagine Kimi staying at Ferrari another year. I hope he is getting paid huge $ for playing second fiddle, huger than normal, that is. But if he wants any chance of another championship, he needs to be at Ferrari, Merc, or RB.

Talon167
07-30-17, 10:15
And Nando at the end hahaha

http://cdn-planetf1.365.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/30170228/1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_GettyImages-824550296-700x367.jpg

Hey, a P6 and both McLarens in the points is worth celebrating for them!

ETA - And Nando with the fastest lap of the race as well!

Talon167
07-30-17, 10:20
Agree with all 3 points. Kudos to Alonso and McLaren also.

It is hard for me to imagine Kimi staying at Ferrari another year. I hope he is getting paid huge $ for playing second fiddle, huger than normal, that is. But if he wants any chance of another championship, he needs to be at Ferrari, Merc, or RB.

Word. He's said that if he's not at Ferrari, he won't be in F1. But, you never know. That being said.... looking like he'll be back in 18...?!

https://sport.sky.it/formula1/2017/07/29/mondiale-f1-mercato-piloti-vettel-raikkonen-verso-rinnovo-annunc.html

Alex V
07-30-17, 19:15
There is no where else for Kimi to go. RBR and Merc have their driver line-ups set. Anyone else would be a bonehead Alonso move.

As much as I would have likes to see Kimi win today (as said before, he is my favorite driver of all time) the tragedy was the right one. It was a risk but if Seb's car was compromised he may not have been able to defend from Hamilton. This track is only second to Monaco as far as difficulty of passing. They needed Kimi to block. If Kimi went around Seb to P1, Seb would be a sitting duck for Hamilton and maybe even Bottas.

The risk was IF Hamilton passed Kimi Ferrari would lose the race and only see a 2-3 finish instead of a 1-3 or 1-4.

Engineering made the right call this time. With 55% of the season done, Kimi is effectively out of the running for DWC. He has had some shitty luck this year. But that's the way it is. He still may get a win this year. I would squeal like little girl if he wins in Spa.

Favorite team + favorite driver + favorite track + win = joygasm.

austinN4
08-22-17, 15:48
They said they did this for Alex: Raikkonen retained by Ferrari for 2018
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/8/raikkonen-retained-by-ferrari-for-2018.html

Spa this weekend, yeah!

Alex V
08-22-17, 16:03
They said they did this for Alex: Raikkonen retained by Ferrari for 2018
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/8/raikkonen-retained-by-ferrari-for-2018.html

Spa this weekend, yeah!

I was a happy boy this morning when I saw the news. I am already planning my trip to Spa for 2018.

austinN4
08-22-17, 16:24
I was a happy boy this morning when I saw the news. I am already planning my trip to Spa for 2018.

I still long for the flat 12s of Ferrari 512 and Porsche 917, and the 1000km endurance races of the 60s and 70s.

austinN4
09-17-17, 12:16
What a train wreck!! Sure glad I didn't get up early to watch that live.

Alex V
09-17-17, 13:39
Double tap

Alex V
09-17-17, 13:40
What a train wreck!! Sure glad I didn't get up early to watch that live.

I'm in mourning. No words. When I saw Max qualify 2nd I knew this would happen.

http://youtu.be/dsx2vdn7gpY

austinN4
09-17-17, 14:17
When I saw Max qualify 2nd I knew this would happen.

He does seem to be the common denominator in most of the problems this year.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/9/Race__Vettel__Verstappen___Raikkonen_out_after_chaotic_wet_start_.html

Alex V
09-17-17, 14:52
He does seem to be the common denominator in most of the problems this year.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/9/Race__Vettel__Verstappen___Raikkonen_out_after_chaotic_wet_start_.html

Im absolutely gutted. Honestly almost cried. No joke.

I got banned for a week from the Ferrari F1 forum for my comments lol

yoni
09-17-17, 16:49
Max needs to be taken out for some fellow driver re education.

mnoe82
09-17-17, 20:01
Saw the start. Yikes. Sorry to the Tifosi but happy for three in a row for my guy.

Slippers
09-18-17, 09:33
After reviewing the footage and talking to all the involved drivers, the stewards deemed it a race incident. No individual driver was the main cause.

I'm not a red bull fan, but max wasn't at fault. Seb had no way of knowing that kimi had such a great start and was on the other side, which left max no room to move as seb turned into him to defend. This also isn't the first time that seb has pulled that maneuver, resulting in a collision and leaving lewis in the lead, which happened at the 2010 turkish grand prix when he took out webber.

You can see the start of the race here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/9/race-hamilton-wins-chaotic-wet-dry-race-in-singapore.html. Go to 1:14 to see the in-car view from max. The two ferraris pinch him in, he has no where to go, and he was clearly holding a straight line.

Alex V
09-18-17, 10:02
After reviewing the footage and talking to all the involved drivers, the stewards deemed it a race incident. No individual driver was the main cause.

I'm not a red bull fan, but max wasn't at fault. Seb had no way of knowing that kimi had such a great start and was on the other side, which left max no room to move as seb turned into him to defend. This also isn't the first time that seb has pulled that maneuver, resulting in a collision and leaving lewis in the lead, which happened at the 2010 turkish grand prix when he took out webber.

You can see the start of the race here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/9/race-hamilton-wins-chaotic-wet-dry-race-in-singapore.html. Go to 1:14 to see the in-car view from max. The two ferraris pinch him in, he has no where to go, and he was clearly holding a straight line.

I can't watch it anymore... its like the pinball scene from The Accused. Max should have backed off. He was beat, he should have backed off.

Seb was on poll, he had the right to protect his lead by moving left.

austinN4
09-18-17, 10:15
Max should have backed off. He was beat, he should have backed off. Seb was on poll, he had the right to protect his lead by moving left.

This is my take also. Seb & Kimi both had him beat.

Slippers
09-18-17, 10:37
I don't remember where it was posted, but there's data showing max actually hit the brakes once he realized what was happening. The problem is the rear wheels are wider than the front, so once the Ferraris were close it was impossible to get clear. You have to remember this happened within a few seconds of the start.

You can say seb had a right to defend, but again, max had no where to go. I'm a Ferrari fan too, but blaming max for everything is wrong. Watch the camera view from Max's car and tell me you could have reacted fast enough to prevent the collision.

austinN4
09-18-17, 10:50
Watch the camera view from Max's car and tell me you could have reacted fast enough to prevent the collision.
I am not a F1 driver nor am I paid the big bucks to be one. What I could or couldn't do is meaningless.

Alex V
09-18-17, 11:11
I don't remember where it was posted, but there's data showing max actually hit the brakes once he realized what was happening. The problem is the rear wheels are wider than the front, so once the Ferraris were close it was impossible to get clear. You have to remember this happened within a few seconds of the start.

You can say seb had a right to defend, but again, max had no where to go. I'm a Ferrari fan too, but blaming max for everything is wrong. Watch the camera view from Max's car and tell me you could have reacted fast enough to prevent the collision.

You may be right, but Max has a track record.

TAZ
09-18-17, 13:42
You may be right, but Max has a track record.

So does Sebastian. He did rear end a fellow driver and then smash him a few seconds later.

The reality of the situation is that it was a racing incident, irrelevant of their track records. Kimi got a great start. Sebastian didn't know Kimi was there and therefore Max had no place to yield. It's like a perfect storm of shit happens.

Alex V
09-18-17, 15:51
So does Sebastian. He did rear end a fellow driver and then smash him a few seconds later.

The reality of the situation is that it was a racing incident, irrelevant of their track records. Kimi got a great start. Sebastian didn't know Kimi was there and therefore Max had no place to yield. It's like a perfect storm of shit happens.

The rear ending was not on purpose. Lewis slowed down at the exit to the corner. The wheel banging was a well deserved hip check. Max has a record of dumb shit at the start of a race. He did it in Monza just one race ago. Hungary he took out his own team mate.

Seb did the same thing that any poll sitter would do. Move left to defend.

Slippers
09-18-17, 16:08
The rear ending was not on purpose. Lewis slowed down at the exit to the corner. The wheel banging was a well deserved hip check. Max has a record of dumb shit at the start of a race. He did it in Monza just one race ago. Hungary he took out his own team mate.

Bed did the same thing that any poll sitter would do. Move left to defend.

The wheel banging following the rear end collision was extremely reckless. He could have knocked himself out of the race.

Additionally, they had the full telemetry from Lewis' car in that collision, and he did not brake check Sebastian. Earlier in the race they had a similar restart in that corner where Lewis took off and gained a decent lead. Sebastian clearly anticipated this happening again, which resulted in the collision.

TAZ
09-18-17, 16:47

Bed did the same thing that any poll sitter would do. Move left to defend.

So you're saying that Vettel ramming a car with his is a perfectly reasonable hip check against a fellow driver because he couldn't control his own car. I'm thinking if anyone did that to Vettel you'd be wanting a ten race ban cause history.

Vettel did what other pole sitters have done. 90% of the time it works because a third car isn't blocking the #2 car from taking a different line into turn 1. Yesterday wasn't the case. It was the other 10% when the #4 qualifier got probably the best start of all the drivers and threw a monkey wrench into the mix.

Sadly after watching the replay, I'm not even sure that Vettel needed to be that aggressive in cutting Verstappen off. To my untrained eye it looks like he could have beaten verstappen to the corner and had a better line to boot.

It sux balls cause Vettel could have won and Ferrari could have had 2 podiums with nothing for Mercedes. Vettel could have retaken the points lead as well.

Alex V
09-18-17, 18:01
If someone banged wheels with Seb the same way he did with Lewis I would not have cared. It's racing. Overall, the start of the last race was a racing incident but I can't help. It feel that if it was anyone other than Max in P2 it would not have happened.

mnoe82
10-11-17, 15:28
Rough weekend for the red cars. I read that it was a third party supplied part that failed on the grid. Yikes